Start by marking “Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds: Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, Emus, Guinea Fowl, Ostriches, Partridges, Peafowl, Pheasants, Quails, Swans” as Want to Read:

More than 128 birds strut their stuff across the pages of this definitive primer for intrepid poultry farmers and feather fanciers alike. From the Manx Rumpy to the Redcap and the Ancona duck to his Aylesbury cousin, each breed is profiled with a brief history, detailed descriptions of identifying characteristics, and colorful photography. Comprehensive and fun, Storey’s I ...more
Published May 30th 2007 by Storey Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds

Jacqueline
I was disappointed in this book. The info was not complete. In most cases it lacked information about how many and what color eggs you could expect from each breed. Whether the birds were flighty or docile etc. My biggest gripe was that most of the illustrations of chickens were of the bantam version of the bird. For someone totally uninterested in bantams, I wanted to see what the large original bird looked like. And they do in most cases look different. Bantams generally have a different body ...more
Mahlia~ Hope and Change Has Become  Divide and Conquer
This is probably the hundredth time I've read this book, literally. I absolutely love it and can never grow tired of reading it. Anyone who loves chickens, ducks, turkeys, or birds (not pet store birds) should read this!! The photography is absolutely beautiful and you can clearly see the detail of the birds. Who knew there were so many breeds?
C is for **censored**
The star rating given reflects my opinion within ‘the official goodreads rating system’.

1 star: Didn’t Like it
2 stars: It’s Okay
3 stars: Liked it
4 stars: Really Liked it
5 stars: It Was Amazing

I don’t really give a rat-fuck that there are some who think I ‘owe’ an explanation for my opinion. Nope, nada, and not sorry about it.

Sometimes I may add notes to explain what my opinions are based on, and sometimes I don’t. I do this for me, on my books, in my library and I don’t ‘owe’ any special snowfla
Michelle
Oct 10, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: homesteading
What a fun book to read (look at!). :) I poured over the information on each poultry breed mentioned. I appreciate the information on their conservation status, size and various attributes, and I love the pictures of these glorious birds.

This is an awesome book to read if you want to raise poultry, as it will help you discern the traits you need to look for in a breed and what appeals to you. I think it would also be a lot of fun for a child or the infirm.

The book, of course, is not inclusive t
Nanci
May 16, 2011 Nanci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Meredith, Hanni
Shelves: nonfiction, chickens
So far, an interesting book about the history, biology, breeds, and genetics of the world of poultry: chickens, ducks, geese and other species.

Beautifully illustrated with full color pictures of selected breeds with detailed information about their purpose, temperament, and needs to care for them properly. Heritage and rare breeds are included with an appeal to consider the more rare breeds for genetic diversity and the future of biodiversity.

A great book to read for anyone considering adding c
Fiona Endsley
May 07, 2009 Fiona Endsley rated it it was amazing
I liked this book alot, I only wish it was bigger! Full of beautiful photography, brief histories and descriptions of north American barnyard and wild fowl it's a joy to flip through. Now as well as the heritage turkeys I want to keep, I can add Saxony ducks, Norwegian Jaerhon chickens, White-Faced Spanish chickens,ect. to the list. I hope that more people who can keep fowl will be inclined to preseve rare heritage breeds.
Allison
Jul 04, 2011 Allison rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
This was a beautiful book with really great pictures and descriptions of poultry. It was even so interesting that I read about the ducks and turkeys in which I really have no interest. It did not have a master chart of temperment, egg color, size, hardiness, etc. which would have been nice. But, the pictures make up for that.
Erin Edwards
Jan 24, 2010 Erin Edwards rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When picking out breeds, we have found this book to be most helpful. It provides beautiful photographs of breeds and plenty of information to make informed decisions for your flock. It would be a perfect gift for someone who keeps chickens.
Enesmith
Jul 17, 2008 Enesmith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's amazing how much use this book has gotten at our house. It's already getting ragged. The descriptions of the breeds are fun and the photos helped me identify the breeds of three mystery chickens in my flock.
Chris
Jan 30, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh brave new world that has such fowl in it,
Jessica
Read like a beautiful encyclopedia.
Patty
Feb 27, 2012 Patty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Great book to detail what you need to know about poultry breeds. Good for a beginner to mid-level poultry owner.
Emily
Sep 12, 2008 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not all of the breeds I wanted to read about were in here. Think of it as a coffee table book
Josh
Jan 22, 2012 Josh rated it really liked it
Four stars for being well edited, clear, and seemingly complete.
Linda
Jun 06, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: country-farm
I learned a lot about chickens!
Gabrielle W.
Mar 05, 2012 Gabrielle W. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: country-living
I love this book! There are so many pictures of different poultry and of course, it also has info on the breeds!
Rachel
Oct 18, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I never would have thought that an encyclopaedia of poultry could be so entertaining. I almost want a pet Silkie now. Almost.
Sean
May 08, 2013 Sean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book on poultry breeds.
Samantha
Samantha rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2014
Lynne Karr
Lynne Karr rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2015
Fernleaf
Fernleaf rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2016
House Wise
House Wise rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2012
Mika
Mika rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2010
Gage
Gage rated it did not like it
Oct 15, 2016
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2012
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2015
Shelley
Shelley rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Molly Mccue
Molly Mccue rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2015
Marianne
Marianne rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2013
Keith Veeder
Keith Veeder rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Pigs: Care/Facilities/Management/Breed Selection
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens: Care / Feeding / Facilities
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks: Breeds, Care, Health
  • Pastured Poultry Profits
  • The Joy of Keeping Chickens: The Ultimate Guide to Raising Poultry for Fun or Profit (The Joy of Series)
  • Keeping Chickens: The Essential Guide to Enjoying and Getting the Best from Chickens
  • The Crossley ID Guide: Eastern Birds
  • The Complete Houseplant Survival Manual: Essential Gardening Know-how for Keeping (Not Killing!) More Than 160 Indoor Plants
  • All Flesh Is Grass: The Pleasures and Promises of Pasture Farming
  • Ravensong
  • Sharing the Harvest: A Citizen's Guide to Community Supported Agriculture
  • Raising Chickens for Dummies
  • Good Birders Don't Wear White: 50 Tips From North America's Top Birders
  • God's Lunatics: Lost Souls, False Prophets, Martyred Saints, Murderous Cults, Demonic Nuns, and Other Victims of Man's Eternal Search for the Divine
  • Illumination in the Flatwoods: A Season With The Wild Turkey
  • Once Upon a Flock: Life with My Soulful Chickens
  • Chicken Coops: 45 Building Ideas for Housing Your Flock
  • Kakapo Rescue: Saving the World's Strangest Parrot (Scientists in the Field Series)