Start by marking “Black Diamond Death (A Sloane Monroe Novel)” as Want to Read:
Black Diamond Death (A Sloane Monroe Novel)

Black Diamond Death (Sloane Monroe #1)

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  750 Ratings  ·  104 Reviews
"IN A PANIC I GASPED FOR AIR, BUT THERE WASN'T ANY. I TRIED TO CRY OUT,
BUT I WAS ALONE, AND IN MY HYSTERIA IT HIT ME. I HAD FELT A SIMILAR
FEELING BEFORE--LIKE MY BODY WAS GIVING OUT ON ME, AND I KNEW WHAT IT
MEANT. I WAS DYING."

Enter the world of Sloane Monroe in Black Diamond Death...

A SKIER CRASHES

On the slopes of Park City, Utah's newest ski resort a woman is found
dead.
Published March 9th 2011 by Pixie Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Black Diamond Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Diamond Death

RW Bennett
Jun 23, 2011 RW Bennett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sloane Monroe, the private detective in Cheryl Bradshaw's series is a fully developed, complicated character. She hates the cold, but lives in a ski town. She craves love and affection (who doesn't?), but can't commit. The loss of her sister is a major motivator in her life.

When a skier crashes and dies, the police rule the death as an accident. A suspicious sister hires Sloane to investigate. Sloane discovers the death to be a murder and the game is on. Monroe is more bulldog than brilliant, an
Susan
Black Diamond Death by Cheryl Bradshaw is book one of the Sloane Monroe series set in modern-day Park City Utah. I was attracted by the Park City setting, my love of skiing, and because “black diamond” is the trail marker for expert ski slopes. Unfortunately, after the prologue the book has nothing whatsoever to do with skiing. It doesn’t even need to be set in Park City, only somewhere with snow on the ground, so the author can illustrate how quirky her protagonist is (she wears flip-flops in t ...more
Quillracer
May 20, 2014 Quillracer rated it it was ok
This book was only so-so.

Part of the problem for me was a gap in main character Sloane Monroe’s back story: how and why she became a PI. Her sister was murdered, her killer never caught. It’s sufficient motivation but I doubt Utah lets anyone go into business as a PI without some training or prior experience. It would have been nice to know how she got it.

Bradshaw has some leaps in her storytelling, too. At one point, Sloane goes to a potential suspect’s house but we don’t know how Sloane knew w
May 29, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok
The story was good, a solid mystery with decent characters, but there were so many punctuation errors throughout the book that I knocked off a star. I had a hard time overlooking them. Correct use of apostrophes and question marks really isn't that difficult. I wanted to get out a red pen, but that wouldn't work so well on the Kindle. I was also annoyed by the main character's body snarking on other women. Comparing one to a small elephant, really?!

Alexandra Rolo
Jun 16, 2015 Alexandra Rolo rated it liked it
Black Diamond Death apresenta-nos uma investigadora privada que é contratada para investigar uma morte que havia ocorrido numa estância de sky. Devo dizer que uma coisa foi boa: quem eu pensava que era o assassino afinal não era.

Gostei da escrita da autora e da forma como desenvolveu a história. Por outro lado a leitura custou um pouco. Ainda vou ler um outro livro dela (um dia destes) para tentar perceber se o problema foi o facto de eu não me ter dedicado mais ao livro. Por vezes acontece quan
Jan
Jun 02, 2011 Jan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-bought
A skier dies on the slopes at Park City, Utah and a female PI gets involved. She kind of reminded me of Grace Hanadarko from the tv show Saving Grace. Well written story, with you feeling like you are in the cold enviroment. I loved the twists and turns to the story and was surprised as to who did it and the ending was a surprise twist too. Would love to read more stories with Sloane Monroe the female PI!
Roger
Jan 01, 2016 Roger added it
Ok, I read this book in a matter of hours, yeah, it is that good! I'm a character reader, I get into the characters, their story, who/what they are. The author does an amazing job of painting the primary character quickly & thoroughly, all the significant characters in her writing are developed similiarly. This book is in all senses of the word, a thriller and the author develops Sloan in such a way that there's nothing unbelieveable in what she does. No spoilers from me though I can see mor ...more
G.W. Jefferies
Oct 06, 2011 G.W. Jefferies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful read!
Nancy
A SKIER CRASHES

On the slopes of Park City, Utah's newest ski resort a woman is found dead. At first glance, it has all the makings of an accident. The victim, Charlotte Halliwell, collided with a tree as she schussed her way to the bottom of the hill. But what if her death wasn't an accident at all--what if she was murdered?

A SISTER IS ON A MISSION

In Black Diamond Death, Audrey Halliwell faces a problem: finding someone who believes her story.

Enter Private Investigator Sloane Monroe.

When Audr
Elizabeth Noah Astle
I got this book in a boxed set of three and this was the first in the Sloane Monroe series.

I am not even sure how to explain it...it started with a bang, in how the victim died, and then seemed to take a sharp left turn. It took me a bit to get back into the story.

Once, I got a bit farther into the book, it started to grab my attention. Charlotte, the victim, was involved in a skiing accident. Charlotte, however, is an accomplished skier. Audrey, her sister does not believe that it was an accide
Kim
Dec 06, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it
I have been meaning to get to this series for what seems like forever. Finally, I plunged in and I am now glad I did! The first few chapters, I wasn't so sure. I felt like the writing was a little overdone which was putting it on the boring side. Then, the dialogue begins and the wait is over - a story begins. It's a good one. Nice mystery, but as with this type of series - if I didn't like Sloane, I wasn't going to get very far into it. It's essential that I like the main character and I think ...more
Lance
Sep 03, 2012 Lance rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story about an outstanding skier's death on the slopes and the subsequent investigation was a well written novel with good character developement, enough twists to keep the reader guessing and yet personable enough that you feel like you know many of the main characters. I especially felt this way with the main protagonist in the book, Sloane Monroe, her best friend Maddie and Sloane's boyfriend Nick. You even feel the tension in the sidebar dilema of whether Sloane and Nick will take the n ...more
Mandy Sickle
I actually received the third book in this series from the author, I won it off librarything without knowing it was the third. I had to catch up and I'm very glad I did. This is the first in the series of Sloane Monroe Mysteries.

The book starts out with the murder of Charlotte Halliwell, but is set up to appear as a accident, but her sister knows it wasn't a accident. She hires Sloane Monroe to solve the murder of her sister, so she can have move on. This brings back lots of memories for Sloane
Christina
This is my first foray into the world of Sloan Monroe. I love Ms. Bradshaw's paranormal series so I thought I would try the first of the Sloane Monroe books. I did like the book quite a bit and will probably continue reading other books in this series. I enjoyed that it was a fast paced and quick read that held my attention from beginning to end. Thank you for such a wonderfully strong female lead. I appreciate it!
Pamela
Jul 11, 2015 Pamela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I enjoyed the mystery in this book, I found myself disliking the heroine. She came off as judgemental and unkind. More and better character development would help this book greatly.

I didn't notice the large number of editing errors mentioned in much earlier reviews; just a few were noticeable. Perhaps the author has tidied it up.

Overall, not a bad effort for a first novel.
Douglas Cook
Sloan Monroe #1
Fans of Robert Parker will like Sloan Monroe. Sloan reminds me of Sunny Randall, Parker's female PI. Bradshaw does a great job in this novel of hiding the murderer til the end.

First paragraphs
CHAPTER 1 The car skidded across the road making an rrrt sound, the kind of sound that propels people from their chairs and to the window to catch a glimpse of the train wreck taking place outside. Only I was on a lonely stretch of road with nothing but the spinning of pine trees as they swir
Dana
Dec 04, 2015 Dana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was more of a two and a half stars. I'm not sure what bothered me about it, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. I usually love murder mysteries. Even while I was reading it, I kept realizing I wasn't enjoying it, but couldn't come up with a reason. I know that's not helpful, but it's the best I can do! I may read the next in the series, but not any time soon.
Mickey Hoffman
The book is almost a cozy and so it didn't grab me enough. For cozy readers, it would probably be just fine. I didn't like the writing so I nearly stopped reading it before the end. Book needs editing of all kinds. Misused words and past tense used where past perfect was needed. I cringed when I saw the word "no" in a sentence instead of "know" toward the end.
Kathy
Mar 15, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it
Black Diamond Death

An excellent beginning to what I hope will be a great new mystery series that I "discovered." I liked the feistiness of the main character and her determination to reveal the truth; and I liked the cracks in her veneer over aspects in her personal life. I'm ready to delve into Sloane Monroe's next story.
Branden Earl
I wanted to read this book because I heard my cousin writes good books.I only got to chapter 6 while reading this book but as I was reading I could feel the intensity. Every chapter I read, it gave me chills up my spine. This is a great mystery book so far. I am continuing to read this adventurous, mysterious book.
Ronda
Jan 20, 2015 Ronda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story and good characters. I whipped through this book after discovering the series when I read book 4. I had to go back and start from the beginning. I really like all the characters in this series so far, even her too controlling boyfriend. I have recommended this series and will keep reading them.
Monica
My first book for the 2013 year! I really enjoyed this book. Black Diamond Death is the first in a series. I have all three of them in a boxed set on my Kindle. I am pleased that I purchased the book.

Black Diamond Death is a murder mystery, thriller book. Sloane Monroe is the Private Investigator that is hired by Audrey after her sister dies in a skiing accident. Audrey's sister was a great skier and real estate agent. Audrey does not believe that her sister's death was an accident.

The story was
Carol Luce
Feb 15, 2013 Carol Luce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Slone Monroe series. I started with the first in the series, Black Diamond Death. I'm so glad I did. Wow, I was hooked from the get-go. The opening scene is hair-raising, heart-in-throat exciting. Sloane Monroe is my kind of female P.I. Professional, yet not hardboiled. She has a soft, caring side that comes across as genuine, whether she's interacting with longtime friends or the people involved in the crime she's currently working. However, put her back against the wall and she employs defense ...more
Dan Lawton
Jun 16, 2015 Dan Lawton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a fairly simple story that's easy to read and doesn't ask too much of the reader. It's primarily a private investigator who solves a murder. There are a handful of suspenseful scenes that are pretty good. It definitely isn't the best book I've ever read, and it certainly isn't the worst. The lack of any type of complexity is its biggest downfall, but it's okay to read something like that once in a while. I've been on the fence about continuing with the Sloane Monroe series.
Liz Lennert
Jun 09, 2016 Liz Lennert rated it it was amazing
Black Diamond Death

Another good read. I think this is the first time I've read Cheryl Bradshaw. She is good and I recommend her books. Black Diamond Death is the first book of the Sloane Monroe series. I'm now going to order the second one in the series.
Joan
Plotline is good, in so far as the story goes, but the book contains some amateurish errors. A couple were real belly-busters.
"You and I both NO..." instead of KNOW,.
Another had a SHED thinking, when what was meant to be "SHE'D (SHE HAD) been thinking..."
Kristen
Feb 19, 2016 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, serial-mystery, 2016
In Cheryl Bradshaw's Black Diamond Death, the first installment in the Sloane Monroe mystery series, she hit the slopes into their stellar mystery debut. For Sloane Monroe, a PI who was asked to work on a case of a death of a skier from a local Park City resort. Everyone thought it was as accident, when her sister thought otherwise. Sloane investigated this case and checked out suspicious people who knew Charlotte Halliwell best, even her ex-fiancé Parker Stanton. Though he was a creep, things s ...more
Jill Martin
Kerry
Jun 08, 2012 Kerry rated it liked it
Really not bad for a free Kindle download.

But, like most Kindle freebies I've read, this one could have used some copyediting. There were missing commas and apostrophes, trite phrasing ("a fire beguiled me to absorb its warmth" -- really??), odd usage ("rolly polly" rather than "roly poly"), and flat-out errors ("we poured over the files").

Griping aside, this was a quick, easy read set in the ski town of Park City. The book opens on the slopes but never returns there. The heroine, PI Sloane Mon
Cindy
Likeable cast, believable premise,will read author again.
FYI: TTS-enabled eBooks offer a way of 'removing' editing errors (your and you're sound the same) reducing irritation.
TTS-enabled eBook 2011
  • Running of the Bulls (Fifth Avenue #2)
  • Deadly Readings (Jenkins and Burns Mystery #1)
  • Wireman
  • A Touch Of Magic
  • Vigilante (Vigilante, #1)
  • A Fatal Verdict (The Trials of Sarah Newby, #2)
  • Sin and Vengeance
  • 4 Gigs of Trouble
  • Darkness on the Edge of Town (Laura Cardinal #1)
  • Murder in Store
  • Absolution (Frank Renzi, #1)
  • A Purse to Die For
  • Little Girl Gone (Logan Harper, #1)
  • Dark Horse (Jim Knighthorse, #1)
  • The Huntress
  • Trusting Evil
  • Key Lime Blues (Wes Darling Mystery, #1)
  • Game of Fear (Montgomery Justice #3)
Cheryl Bradshaw is a New York Times & USA Today Bestselling Author writing in the genres of mystery, thriller, romantic suspense, paranormal suspense, and women's contemporary fiction. Stranger in Town (Sloane Monroe mystery series book 4) was a Shamus Award finalist, and I Have a Secret (Sloane Monroe mystery series #3) won best thriller of the year from eFestival of Words.

Cheryl Bradshaw's
More about Cheryl Bradshaw...

Sloane Monroe (7 books)
  • Sinnerman (Sloane Monroe, #2)
  • I Have a Secret (Sloane Monroe, #3)
  • Stranger in Town (Sloane Monroe, #4)
  • Bed of Bones (Sloane Monroe, #5)
  • Hush Now Baby (Sloane Monroe, #6)
  • Dead of Night (Sloane Monroe)