Start by marking “Writing Steampunk!” as Want to Read:
Writing Steampunk!

Writing Steampunk!

Polish those brass goggles, grab your parasols or sword canes, hoist any carpetbags, and prepare to board the airship. This is Steampunk territory.

WRITING STEAMPUNK is a journey into building Steampunk fiction. It doesn't tell how to write a book -- there are other books that will do that. It doesn't talk about the Steampunk society. It focuses only on the elements that g
Published (first published March 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Writing Steampunk!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Steampunk!

Jenny Schwartz
Jul 21, 2011 Jenny Schwartz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, steampunk
First up, this is not a how-to book. I know, the title gives you this moment of hope...join the dots with a bit of imagination...but really, do you want to be spoon fed a story? "Writing Steampunk" is better than that, and more respectful of your imagination and writerly intention.

What "Writing Steampunk" does is present you with prompts, historical info and guidance and some very useful links for further information.

Steampunk is evolving. You won't see Steampunk in the same way as Beth does, an
Josh
Aug 04, 2012 Josh rated it did not like it
Call me cranky, but if you're going to write a How To book, you need to have something original and interesting to add to the conversation. Also, since writing a How To book on any subject is akin to announcing this is something you do very well, the book needs to be free of typos, spelling errors, grammatical errors -- and any hint of an offensive over-familiarity with Queen Victoria (AKA "Vicky").

This book boils down to a list of tropes and motifs that any aspiring writer of steampunk has sure
Pandora's Book
Mar 26, 2012 Pandora's Book rated it it was amazing
There are a lot of books out there that talk about writing, and more than a few of them cover science fiction and fantasy. However, look for a "guide" to steampunk, and you've got fewer choices. In fact, as far as I can tell, you've really only got one, and that's Beth Daniels.

Luckily for us, Writing Steampunk by Beth Daniels is a fairly comprehensive look at the details that can flesh out a steampunk setting and create a believable alternative world.

True to the title, Daniels covers what is nec
Tom Russell
Apr 12, 2012 Tom Russell rated it really liked it
In "Writing Steampunk" Ms. Daniels has compiled a sort of quick start guide for the author looking to write a novel in the Steampunk genre. I think she has done an admirable job of distilling the genre into its essentials. For me, however, the most interesting, and potentially more useful, parts were the research aids, historical synopses and bibliography.

The book is roughly divided into four sections. The first section discusses what the author considers the essential elements of a steampunk n
Bryan Worra
Nov 18, 2011 Bryan Worra rated it it was ok
Many emerging and even experienced genre writers are looking for a functional book for writing steampunk. Daniels is ambitious but understands the limits of what such a book can do.

That said, it's a little disconcerting to find so many typographical errors in a book about writing. Readers are directed to extensive hyperlinks throughout the text, which would be tedious to type in if you don't have an e-book version. Overall, the print version's formatting leaves a great deal to be desired in ter
Lisa
Jun 20, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Very helpful guide and beginning point if you're developing your first steampunk story. Daniels offers handy references throughout so you can continue your education. And be prepared to take notes/ highlight the heck out of this book! Lots of good stuff here to fuel your steamy imagination.
Lori Watson
Sep 17, 2012 Lori Watson rated it really liked it

Despite the urgent need for a proofreader (typos are abundant), this was a very engaging, entertaining, and informative read. My friends and I enjoy steampunk, including cosplay and cons, and are in the midst of creating an RPG utilizing our characters. I thought it would be fun to use National Novel Writing Month this November as a catalyst for writing my steampunk character's back story and this book helped to give direction in where to research and how much research needs to be done in order
T.J. Lantz
Jan 17, 2016 T.J. Lantz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well researched, and helpful.
Claire Amber
Mar 18, 2014 Claire Amber rated it really liked it
It's a nice reference book. Though some parts were just a little too bulky and I couldn't motivate myself to read through some parts. It's still pretty good though. The beginning especially.
Lydia
Jul 14, 2013 Lydia rated it really liked it
Great guide to steampunk writing! Do know that this is not a writing guide, it is a world building guide and a good one at that.
Lacey
Mar 03, 2013 Lacey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finally finished this book and I have to say it holds a lot of great information for a writer like me.
Bill Tillman
Oct 02, 2011 Bill Tillman rated it it was amazing
Wonderful reference book with many unique points of information.
Bronwen Jones
Oct 30, 2012 Bronwen Jones rated it really liked it
Very interesting and helpful.
Kait Nolan
Sep 03, 2013 Kait Nolan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Fabulous resource.
NormaCenva
NormaCenva is currently reading it
Sep 27, 2016
Cree Cullimore
Cree Cullimore marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Veer Bella
Veer Bella is currently reading it
Sep 03, 2016
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
JDM Diane
JDM Diane marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Dawn Dulmes
Dawn Dulmes rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Persephone
Persephone marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Pam Bradley
Pam Bradley rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2016
Volty Desmontagne
Volty Desmontagne marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Holly
Holly added it
Jul 18, 2016
Chris Marchant
Chris Marchant marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Nagy Viktória
Nagy Viktória marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Moira Ledinsky
Moira Ledinsky marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Krissy Lawrence
Krissy Lawrence rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
  • Steampunk Style Jewelry: Victorian, Fantasy, and Mechanical Necklaces, Bracelets, and Earrings
  • The Writer's Compass: From Story Map to Finished Draft in 7 Stages
  • Holly Lisle's Create A Plot Clinic
  • Showing & Telling: Learn How to Show & When to Tell for Powerful & Balanced Writing
  • Aliens and Alien Societies
  • The Complete Guide to Writing Fantasy: Alchemy with Words
  • Breathing Life into Your Characters
  • A Calculus of Angels (Age of Unreason, #2)
  • Heart of Iron
  • How to Write a Novel Using the Snowflake Method
  • Badlands (Badlands #1)
  • Steampunk Prime: A Vintage Steampunk Reader
  • The Plot Thickens: 8 Ways to Bring Fiction to Life
  • Steampunk Emporium: Creating Fantastical Jewelry, Devices and Oddments from Assorted Cogs, Gears and Curios
  • Hot and Steamy: Tales of Steampunk Romance