Start by marking “Writing Steampunk!” as Want to Read:
Writing Steampunk!

Writing Steampunk!

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Polish those brass goggles, grab your parasols or sword canes, hoist any carpetbags, and prepare to board the airship. This is Steampunk territory.

WRITING STEAMPUNK is a journey into building Steampunk fiction. It doesn't tell how to write a book -- there are other books that will do that. It doesn't talk about the Steampunk society. It focuses only on the elements that g
Published (first published March 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Writing Steampunk!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Steampunk!

Josh
Call me cranky, but if you're going to write a How To book, you need to have something original and interesting to add to the conversation. Also, since writing a How To book on any subject is akin to announcing this is something you do very well, the book needs to be free of typos, spelling errors, grammatical errors -- and any hint of an offensive over-familiarity with Queen Victoria (AKA "Vicky").

This book boils down to a list of tropes and motifs that any aspiring writer of steampunk has sure
Jenny Schwartz
First up, this is not a how-to book. I know, the title gives you this moment of hope...join the dots with a bit of imagination...but really, do you want to be spoon fed a story? "Writing Steampunk" is better than that, and more respectful of your imagination and writerly intention.

What "Writing Steampunk" does is present you with prompts, historical info and guidance and some very useful links for further information.

Steampunk is evolving. You won't see Steampunk in the same way as Beth does, an
Pandora's Book
There are a lot of books out there that talk about writing, and more than a few of them cover science fiction and fantasy. However, look for a "guide" to steampunk, and you've got fewer choices. In fact, as far as I can tell, you've really only got one, and that's Beth Daniels.

Luckily for us, Writing Steampunk by Beth Daniels is a fairly comprehensive look at the details that can flesh out a steampunk setting and create a believable alternative world.

True to the title, Daniels covers what is nec
Tom Russell
In "Writing Steampunk" Ms. Daniels has compiled a sort of quick start guide for the author looking to write a novel in the Steampunk genre. I think she has done an admirable job of distilling the genre into its essentials. For me, however, the most interesting, and potentially more useful, parts were the research aids, historical synopses and bibliography.

The book is roughly divided into four sections. The first section discusses what the author considers the essential elements of a steampunk n
Bryan Worra
Many emerging and even experienced genre writers are looking for a functional book for writing steampunk. Daniels is ambitious but understands the limits of what such a book can do.

That said, it's a little disconcerting to find so many typographical errors in a book about writing. Readers are directed to extensive hyperlinks throughout the text, which would be tedious to type in if you don't have an e-book version. Overall, the print version's formatting leaves a great deal to be desired in ter
Lisa
Very helpful guide and beginning point if you're developing your first steampunk story. Daniels offers handy references throughout so you can continue your education. And be prepared to take notes/ highlight the heck out of this book! Lots of good stuff here to fuel your steamy imagination.
Amber Zade
I sort of regret getting this book. It's only real use is as a reference book. It has some good general information about steampunk.
Lori Watson

Despite the urgent need for a proofreader (typos are abundant), this was a very engaging, entertaining, and informative read. My friends and I enjoy steampunk, including cosplay and cons, and are in the midst of creating an RPG utilizing our characters. I thought it would be fun to use National Novel Writing Month this November as a catalyst for writing my steampunk character's back story and this book helped to give direction in where to research and how much research needs to be done in order
Claire Amber
It's a nice reference book. Though some parts were just a little too bulky and I couldn't motivate myself to read through some parts. It's still pretty good though. The beginning especially.
Lydia
Great guide to steampunk writing! Do know that this is not a writing guide, it is a world building guide and a good one at that.
Lacey
I finally finished this book and I have to say it holds a lot of great information for a writer like me.
Bill Tillman
Wonderful reference book with many unique points of information.
Bronwen Jones
Very interesting and helpful.
Kait Nolan
Fabulous resource.
molly klein
molly klein is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2015
Rob Holliday
Rob Holliday marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
William
William marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
산드라
산드라 marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Pen Monkey
Pen Monkey marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
THE ALTERNATIVE QUILL: WRITING ALTERNATIVE HISTORY GEARED UP! WRITING STEAMPUNK BUILD A STORY AROUND ONE GREAT SCENE (Writing Workshop in Book Form -- Fiction Writing Aid 6) CRAFTY PERSISTENCE: REVISION AND EDITING (Writing Workshop in Book Form -- Fiction Writing Aids 5) DREAMING UP THE MIDDLE OF THE STORY (Fiction Writing Aids - Workshop in Book Form 3)