Start by marking “Clockwork Chloe” as Want to Read:
Clockwork Chloe
Read eBook

Clockwork Chloe

2.74 of 5 stars 2.74  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Bert Tillory had slept with every woman west of the Pecos, to hear him tell it. But when he met Chloe, with her clockwork arm and leg built by a Chinese watchmaker, his life changed forever. Told in the vein of Spider Robinson's "Callahan's" stories.
Published June 19th 2011 by Ian Thomas Healy

To ask other readers questions about Clockwork Chloe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clockwork Chloe

Nisha
I don't believe I started reading this with the knowledge that this wasn't a HR or even a real full length book. It was a short story, told through the narration of Bert Tillroy, who supposedly slept with "every woman west of the Pecos".

As the protagonist, Bert tells his tale of the strangest woman he's ever bedded. That woman is 'Clockwork Chloe'. We never meet this woman, nor do we get more details about her than Bert is willing to share to his barmates. The ending is sorta tragic and not real
Michael
Guy walks into a bar and shares his greatest sexual conquests. That pretty much sums up my impression of "Clockwork Chloe," a steampunk short story that, unfortunately, isn't the most memorable or entertaining story.

But it was a free download for my Kindle, so I am only out the few minutes it took to read it.
Allison Dickson
Healy is a western author in science fiction clothing, and he combines the two elements here with effortless finesse. I loved the lascivious but likable Bert Tillroy and his dialogue with the men in the saloon as he details some of his sexual conquests, but the tale takes an earnest and heartfelt twist when he tells the tragic story of Clockwork Chloe, the love of his life whose murder Bert has been trying to avenge for many years.

The story's climax is subtle but effective, and punctuated by a
A.J.
Dammit, Healy. You had such a good setup to this story, a crude Western of the best pulpy sort and a dash of Steampunk to spice it up, but gave me no time to really sink my teeth into it. Give me the novella - let me see our protagonist and Chloe together, let her tell the story of her past, bring me along for the cowboy's journey!

I wanted to love it, but it was just too rushed in the end. A solid 'like' and I'll keep my eye out for more from the author.
Beth
Not what I expected, crude and quick but somehow by the end the author had you attached to the outcome.
Andrea Jackson
short story, steampunk.
Aimeekay
What a wonderful, bittersweet short story!
I love the way the author brings his characters to life in such a short piece. The story itself is set in an old west time period and the characters reflect that. Even though they are definitely not politically correct they are fun and amusing. I found myself laughing out loud quite a few times. I also found myself on the verge of tears as well. The author deftly manipulates and draws the readers in. I think this is a great example of the authors writin
MsBDiamondDiva1
Chloe was a victim of a train accident, leaving her disfigured and half dead. But a Chinese tinker man and his daughter helped make Chloe whole again. Once Bert meets Chloe, he fall in love and wanted to marry her :-) But as he was picking out her ring, she was murder by the same man that tied her up on the train tracks that terrible night. Bert vows to hunt the man down and kill him and so he does. I liked this story, but I like it even better because it was free :-)
Deb
Clockwork Chloe is a short sweet story. It isn't particularly memorable, but I did find myself liking the male protagonist.
Pamela Craft Jenewein
Feb 14, 2012 Pamela Craft Jenewein is currently reading it
Amazon Kindle freebie
Sweetpea
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Chloe Djedji
Chloe Djedji marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Ian Thomas
Feb 26, 2015 Ian Thomas added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Mindy
Mindy marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Rhea Loire
Rhea Loire marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Lonnie Stover II
Lonnie Stover II marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Kitty
Kitty marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Kathryn Lamar
Kathryn Lamar marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
G
G marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Steve added it
Aug 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
2036975
Ian Thomas Healy is a prolific writer who dabbles in many different speculative genres. His superhero novel Deep Six: A Just Cause Novel was a Top 100 Semi-finalist in the 2008 Amazon.com Breakthrough Novel Award. He’s a seven-time participant and winner of National Novel Writing Month where he’s tackled such diverse subjects as sentient alien farts, competitive forklift racing, a religion-powered ...more
More about Ian Thomas Healy...
The Mighty Peculiar Incident at Muddy Creek Graceful Blur Just Cause (Just Cause Universe #1) The Archmage (Just Cause Universe #2) Blood on the Ice