Start by marking “Five Minutes on Mondays: Finding Unexpected Purpose, Peace, and Fulfillment at Work” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Five Minutes on Monday...

Alan Lurie

Imagine the leaders of one of New York City's top real-estate firms coming together every Monday morning to hear...the moral and spiritual thoughts of a Rabbi. Wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall? To hear the paths Alan Lurie traced for his listeners, how he helped them bring together their spiritual and business lives, the sacred and the profane? Five Minutes on Mon ...more
Published March 6th 2009 by FT Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Five Minutes on Mondays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Minutes on Mondays

Carlos
Dec 29, 2012 Carlos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this book in September when I returned to work for the new school year. I tried to read one lesson every week. Some lessons were applicable for the week, which allowed me to think about the lesson and how it relates to my life. I shared some of the lessons (passages) with my friends. This allowed us to talk about what the lessons was trying to teach us. I read the last lesson during the last full week of the school year, fitting indeed!

To live life to the fullest is to find pu
Sumeet Jain

Author, Life is a pack of 52 cards
Mirna
Sep 07, 2012 Mirna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Some great stories, quotes and examples, and references. But not too much "structured" approach, nor any big new revelation - mainly all common sense and obvious stuff.
Ron
Dec 06, 2011 Ron rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
An ok book to keep on your phone for when you are stuck some place and have a few minutes to kill. I got it for free - not sure that I'd pay for it.
Charmin
Apr 23, 2014 Charmin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: growth
Highlights:
1. Focus on Your Strengths. Know where you are most effective, be comfortable with your inclinations and limitations, and allow yourself to be supported by others with complementary strengths. Develop what you do best.
2. People who consistently and clearly tell the truth, however, build trust, which results in a good reputation, which begets new and repeat clients, which increases business, which accumulates
3. A true desire for authenticity must be without ulterior motives; without e
Charlotte
Mar 16, 2013 Charlotte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I am retired now, I was curious about what the advice the author would provide on finding unexpected purpose, peace, and fulfillment at work. The author is a Jewish rabbi, and I am Christian, but I found no conflict there.

I did find a few typos ("hording" for "hoarding") and some subject/verb disagreements. Also, the author referred to a pyramid standing on three legs. I hadn't thought of a pyramid as having legs, but the base is actually a square with four, not three, sides even thou
Cynthia
May 23, 2014 Cynthia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Picked Five Minutes on Mondays based upon my fast read on the cover; wow! Rabbi in the secular world giving business colleagues a spiritual compass and moral standards what a concept. Filled with stories of Jewish traditions and acronyms . Five Minutes focuses on the wisdom and knowledge from a Rabbi's POV while opening our hearts to whatever the circumstance we must use God as our compass. Great inspirational self-help read.
Melissa
I started reading this almost a year ago and I'm still only 17 percent done. Time to give up. It's okay, not life-changing and some of the stories could easily be applied to us cubicle-dwellers. If you go to church or synagogue or the mandatory CEO meetings, you hear the same kind of sermons - not what I feel like reading in my spare time, but I'm not religious either, so it's not like I'm the target audience.
Janice
Aug 31, 2012 Janice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Free kindle read. Enjoyed the idea that businessmen might decide to do something good for the soul rather than the pocketbook. This is a series of inspirational talks given by a rabbi to a groups of businesspeople. He has some good thoughts, repeats other good thoughts, and tries to marry the spiritual with the go-go business world.

Nice idea, but not sure that many follow this ideology.
Camilla Stein
Jul 04, 2012 Camilla Stein rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I read it on the train to work, primarily as the source of inspiration, but then soon it became an addiction - my day wouldn't be the same if I hadn't had a portion of Five Minutes while on the train. Thank you, Alan Lurie, for a lovely, entertaining collection that has helped many people, more than you know.
James Kim
Oct 31, 2012 James Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a free book on Amazon Kindle and the title was interesting enough to catch my attention. I'm glad it did.

The book is divided up into short readings and reflections. I have been reading a couple a chapters a day. The author shares wisdom as a Jewish Rabbi who's worked with business professionals.

Well worth spending a few minutes with the wisdom from the author on a daily basis.
Eric
Jun 26, 2012 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful exploration into how to be happier and find greater purpose and compassion.
Vaughn
Jul 24, 2011 Vaughn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Merely average reading that isn't especially well organized or new.
Jessica
[free nook book]
Chuck Heikkinen
Nov 20, 2014 Chuck Heikkinen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
A series of short essays on including spirituality in everyday life and work.
Debbie Korn
Inspiring but Lurie takes from many people. Lots of the ideas in his book are not his own but the messages are timeless and appropriate for North Americans.
Tammy Miller
I found a few quotes that were very inspiring.
Always maintain only a joyful mind.
Loucindy
Some good points to ponder and a nice way to start exploring spirituality linked to career.
Frank
It's all theory, and theory that most already know. There is nothing in this book on how to implement the theory.

Not worth reading.
Heather
Jan 12, 2012 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I haven't actually finished this and I don't think I'm ever going to. It just wasn't holding my interest so I think I am actually going to give up on this book.
Marc Rohde
Dec 28, 2012 Marc Rohde rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It couldn't hold my attention so I gave up.
arun
May 09, 2011 arun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read. Quite a few thought provoking writings.
Marissa Quinn
Marissa Quinn rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2017
Joe Cusick
Joe Cusick rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2014
Alysia
Alysia rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2013
Nitu
Nitu rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2014
Jess
Jess rated it it was ok
Oct 02, 2011
Yolanda
Yolanda rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
Mitchell
Mitchell rated it it was ok
Dec 02, 2014
Todd Lemire
Todd Lemire rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2013
  • Ultimate Leadership: Winning Execution Strategies for Your Situation
  • 25 Days to Better Thinking & Better Living: A Guide  for Improving Every Aspect of Your Life
  • Make More, Worry Less: Secrets from 18 Extraordinary People Who Created a Bigger Income and a Better Life
  • Leading at a Higher Level: Blanchard on Leadership and Creating High Performing Organizations
  • Critical Thinking: Tools for Taking Charge of Your Professional and Personal Life
  • How to Argue: Powerfully, Persuasively, Positively
  • The Truth About the New Rules of Business Writing (Truth About Series)
  • Conscious Calm: Keys to Freedom From Stress and Worry
  • The Resume is Dead
  • Your Brain and Business: The Neuroscience of Great Leaders
  • Winners Never Cheat: Even in Difficult Times
  • Attack Your Day!: Before It Attacks You

“If we are committed to true, meaningful growth, then, work is a deeply spiritual environment where, through our actions, we can implement our obligations to others, build our confidence and sense of purpose, practice our commitment to the truth, strengthen our inherent optimism, experience gratitude, and live with a greater sense of balance. So, do you still think that your job is not spiritual? The” 0 likes
“As we look back on the arc of our lives, we often discover that the most significant, meaningful changes came from unexpected, seemingly unremarkable, or even un-welcomed sources. While we were busy planning the direction in which we thought our lives should go, something unplanned entered to steer us onto a new path that led to a destination that we could not possibly have imagined. Something that at first seemed to be a distraction, nuisance, or, perhaps, an outright disaster was, in retrospect, the best thing that could have happened. It shook us out of our routine, allowed for new possibilities to enter, and presented the opportunity to rise above our previous sense of how things should be, what” 0 likes