Start by marking “Halfway to Nowhere” as Want to Read:
Halfway to Nowhere

Read Book

Halfway to Nowhere

Alex Smith is an ordinary joe lost in an ordinary world, a cruel and dreary place where nothing turns out as planned. He works the night shift at a dead end job that barely pays the bills, his sleazy landlord swindles any money that's left over, his apartment only a tiny box with roaches for company. His absent father suddenly walks back into his life asking for redemption ...more
Published June 20th 2012 by Createspace (first published June 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Halfway to Nowhere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halfway to Nowhere

Sep 02, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: kabul-books
I received a free copy of this book to review through the ARR program at Making Connections

Halfway to Nowhere was an interesting read for me. The story is about Alex, a guy who is in a major depressive rut. Stuff happens to him (involving prostitutes, vodka, and knives among other things) and his already shitty life spirals down and down. But when he is really at rock bottom he finally gains the perspective he needs to start coming back up.

The book has some good things going for it. For one, th
Artur Frank
Sep 17, 2012 Artur Frank rated it it was amazing
Very interesting book.The writing was beautiful, the characters well developed, and the plot very original.
Doug Campbell
Nov 10, 2011 Doug Campbell rated it it was amazing
Very well written. the whole story was quite enjoyable and i couldn't put it down. its a must read.
Megan Nolen
Feb 06, 2014 Megan Nolen rated it it was amazing
having to force myself to put it down so i can sleep for work in the morning so far...
Tonya Polk
Aug 22, 2013 Tonya Polk rated it it was amazing
First I want to say I am a HUGE fan of self published authors. My closest friend happens to be one, and I know what goes into it, how much hard work and frustration. An author pours their heart and soul into their work ,to set it free for all of us to judge. I loved this book, and Alex, the main character, was so easy to connect with. Down on his luck, having next to nothing, life full of despair and loneliness. My heart hurt for him, I wanted to jump in the give me a huge hug and let him know i ...more
May 24, 2012 J.C. added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: literature
When I put this book out there, it was honestly an experiment, just to see what the reaction would be. To be honest it was more positive than I ever expected. It wasn't overwhelming, but i had no idea what i was doing and was just learning how to do the simplest things when it came to self publishing.

I'm still learning, in fact. But I must say, I'm really glad this book has been able to have the reach it had, and that it demonstrated to many people that i mean business.

Now that the initial thr
Jun 04, 2013 Crystal rated it really liked it
Shelves: literary-fiction
this book was surprisingly intriguing its not the sort of book i would normally read but it read in a way to make me keep reading. it had great characterization surprising plot twist. it was raw real and gritty, a in your face this is life sort of thing but it gave you hope in the end that things could change for the better. I would suggest this book to all my friends who need a pick me up via adventure via trail.
Nic Pelegri
Nic Pelegri rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2016
Shari Harrington
Shari Harrington marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Richard marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Manda marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Carol marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Samantha marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Suad Ali
Suad Ali rated it really liked it
May 24, 2014
Ebrahim Rad
Ebrahim Rad marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2013
Ashley Pauley
Ashley Pauley marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2013
Taneka marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2013
Karen Payze
Karen Payze marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2013
anarki marked it as to-read
Christine Feldman
Christine Feldman marked it as to-read
Gstn Klcsr
Gstn Klcsr marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2013
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2013
Sarah Cummings
Sarah Cummings marked it as to-read
May 04, 2013
Pınargusta marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2013
Diana Febry
Diana Febry marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2013
Fatima Raza
Fatima Raza marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2012
Jenny Pugh
Jenny Pugh marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2012
Adele Symonds
Adele Symonds marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2012
Victor Sanchez
Victor Sanchez rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2012
Goodreads Librari...: Please update my cover? 3 21 Aug 05, 2012 08:19PM
Best book by the best author 2 4 Jun 23, 2011 11:33PM
J.C. Joranco grew up in Rio Vista, California. He is obsessed with highways to nowhere, how people influence each other, the hard wheel of time, and most forms of music. In fact he builds soundtracks to listen to while he writes. He goes camping in the mountains for weeks at a time, to sit and hike and contemplate and get lost. He still buys compact discs. There's a box of books in the backseat of ...more
More about J.C. Joranco...

“It was the sunlight coming through the window that woke Alex up; mother nature's own alarm clock rudely snapped him back to consciousness. The white light poured in so arrogantly that it was too much for his eyes to handle. Squinting did not seem enough to defend against it and the light slipped between his fingers when he held up his hand in an attempt to shield his eyes.” 2 likes
“She opened her eyes and looked into his rather intensely.
"What?" Alex asked.
"This cannot be."
"What can't be?" Alex asked her, more bafflement in his voice this time.
"I have been reading people all my life. I can even read cats and dogs. I've been doing it all my life and i've been here longer than the two of you put together."
"And?" Alex wanted to get to the point. Whatever the truth may be, he just wanted to hear it, wanted it on the table before them so he could get this over with and they can go home.
" are the first person that has nothing for me to see."
"And here I was hoping you'd say I'd win the lottery or get married to a supermodel or something." Alex said, starting to laugh.
"You don't understand. I don't see anything, anything at all. There is nothing to you, nothing but what I see before me."
"So....what does that mean?"
"It means you don't exist.”