Start by marking “I'll Follow the Moon” as Want to Read:

Stephanie Lisa Tara

I'll Follow the Moon

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  780 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
WINNER of the Chocolate Lily award and Mom's Choice Award:

On a quiet moonlit beach, a baby green sea turtle stirs from a dream of home. Slowly, slowly with a tap, click, crack, the baby turtle embarks upon a mysterious nighttime journey. Gentle tender verse and enchanting illustrations carry this tranquil tale from sand to sea. Winner of the prestigious Chocolate Lily Awar
Nook, 0 pages
Published June 12th 2011 by Stephanie Lisa Tara (first published September 7th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about I'll Follow the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'll Follow the Moon

Kathy Horsman
May 03, 2013 Kathy Horsman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-books, r2r
I'll be honest, the second this book came in the mail and I opened it, I was already sold by the gorgeous cover with the most adorable baby turtle I have ever seen in my life. When I opened the book and read it?

I was not dissapointed!

The illustrations are absolutely beautiful in soft, beachy colors that take you right to the beach immediately. From the eggs to the new hatch-lings to finding the ocean for the first time, these tiny creatures come to live throughout the pages both literally and
Heidi
Apr 18, 2013 Heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five Stars: A charming little book with rhyming verse.
This is a sweet little story that follows a newly hatched sea turtle as he endeavors to reach the sea and find his mama. It starts with the cracking of a small egg and the emergence of a baby turtle. Each step of his journey is covered as he bursts out of the egg and learns to make his way through the sticky sand to the water's edge. Each page has a short verse in rhyme and at the end of each and every page is the touching little rhyme:
"I'm
GoldenjoyBazyll
May 23, 2012 GoldenjoyBazyll rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
When I lived in Florida- I patrolled a section of Ponte Vedra Beach for Greenpeace looking for sea turtles! When we found the nests we would call in specially trained rangers. They would come and take the eggs to safe houses. The really cool thing was at high tides - after the babies hatched- we would gather and put them into the water to help them start their amazing journeys!!!! It was beyond COOL!

This book did a beautiful job of tellig the story!
Candace
Apr 09, 2013 Candace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The blog tour for this book (and her other children's books) is running through April 22nd, 2013. You can enter to win $500 in Amazon Gift Cards (DOUBLED if you review them!) and a Kindle Fire. Tour page is found here: http://www.candacesbookblog.com/2013/...

First thing I notice when reading any of Stephanie's books, is the verse. The story flows so well and is so fun to read. It's also easy for younger ones to memorize, and eventually read themselves, because of the repeated phrases and the eas
Janie
Mar 19, 2012 Janie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i LOVED the picture of the baby turtle cuddling against the dirt! The text was just okay. The repeated couplet is kind of tidal. The font shtuff was regrettably kitschy.

I read this to the cutest nephew EVAR while he relaxed in his new "nest" (bean-bag chair).
Amy Fournier
This book is so fun and educational! It's a wonderful book to read to or with your children. With rich illustrations, and beautiful writing it is a book that you can enjoy over and over again. My daughter can't get enough of it and I am so happy with how much she enjoys it. It has some repetitive lines that helps younger children to interact and read along which is also awesome for their confidence in learning to read.

This book is about the journey of a turtle from when it first hatches, to fin
Amy_Read to My Heart's Content
This is such an astounding little book! I love turtles of all shapes and sizes, but there is something truly magical about these baby sea turtles that made everything seem so perfect.
I am a true fan of rhyme in stories, especially children's books, and I'll Follow the Moon is made more interesting with the precious saying that is repeated throughout its pages:

"I'm coming, Mama, I'll see you soon I know just how...I'll follow the moon"

That saying just rolls right off your tongue like waves gent
Heather
Oct 02, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This book took my breath away when I opened it. The water color pictures are just beautiful and the colors of blue and green against the tan sandy shores are perfect. It's such a tranquil book, just looking at it. And though it's about the birth of a sea turtle and his search for his mother, it's not frantic. The turtle is sure he'll find the way.
"I'm coming mama, I'll see you soon I know just how....I'll follow the moon." This phrase is repeated on each page and it again shows the bond between
Cayr
Jan 20, 2013 Cayr rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-readers
A gentle, comforting storybook with the message that even though the world is a big (sometimes scary) place, and even though we are sometimes asked to do difficult things by ourselves, mom is out there, and she is comforting and safe, and that is a constant. The message is told through the story of turtles hatching on a beach, surfacing, and following the light of the moon to find the water.

The book is illustrated by Lee Edward Fodi, and many of the pictures are not very interesting. Mostly the
Ellen
Apr 12, 2013 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-tours
I'll Follow the Moon is absolutely delightful. It focuses on the journey of baby turtles as they are growing in their eggs, hatch, and make their journey to the sea. The author has written the story in such a way that will capture your child's attention, as the baby turtles journey to find their mother. In addition to be a wonderful story, I'll Follow the Moon also teaches your child about nature. As an added bonus, Stephanie Lisa Tara has also provided learning activities in the back of the boo ...more
A.E. Curzon
Jan 08, 2013 A.E. Curzon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations first drew me to this book – they are delightful! Although, with the exception of the line which is repeated on every page, I did find the rhyming a little hard to read since it didn't entirely flow. I have read some of the reviews which argue the point that this tale is far from factual in terms of the beginning of life as a turtle. Although I have to agree with this, it is worth bearing in mind that this will probably be read to very small children who won’t be too worried ab ...more
Kristin
May 02, 2016 Kristin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book

Used this in a unit plan about the moon. It love it so much. So cute and easy for kids.
Sandy Brehl
The rhyming stanzas on each spread use figurative language to describe each stage of the little green sea turtle eggs' passage from sandy silence to life in the sea. The refrain is repeated on each page, too:
"I'm coming, Mama, I'll see you soon. I know just how... I'll follow the moon."
It's an effective verse to emphasize the deeply ingrained instinct that allows the baby turtles to make their way home to the sea, setting the stage for further reading about light contamination and other environm
Jonathan Jordan
Feb 15, 2015 Jonathan Jordan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll Follow the Moon was such a brilliant book that captures the reader from the first page till the very last page. This story begins the journey of a baby trutle as egg till it is out in the sea. Throughout the book you can see how a turtle is one with its mother as it follows the moon with most certainty that he/she will find its mother. The baby turtle manages to make its long journey to the sea on constantly following the moon and is reunited with he/she mother. One key message I took from ...more
Jessica at Book Sake
Reviewed by Jessica for Book Sake.

Of all of Stephanie’s books this one had the most lyrical beauty of all. While there are two lines that are repeated on every page, it adds to the story in showing what the newly hatched turtle has it’s mind set on. The illustrations were simple and sweet all on their own. This is a story to get kids interested in learning more about nature!

Book Received: For free from author in exchange for an honest review.
Melissa
Feb 27, 2013 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I loved this book! The words and illustrations were equally impressive. The author wrote the book shortly after she had her baby girl and noticed turtle babies running for the ocean. I'll Follow the Moon is a great book to teach kids about sea turtles. It follows a group of turtle babies as they hatch and look for water. Then as they find water you watch them adjust to it and eventually the babies find their mom.
Janet
Sep 25, 2012 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, kindle
I live in Florida, but have not had the opportunity to watch sea turtles hatching and making their way to the ocean. I enjoyed the children's story, the repeated phrase and the soft pastel colored illustrations. I will read it to my 3 yr old great- niece when I see her in a couple of weeks, to get a child's reaction. The ending seemed abrupt to me, but overall a pleasant children's story.
Shanda Kinkade
Sep 26, 2012 Shanda Kinkade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very sweet children's book. I loved the illustrations of the turtles hatching and making their way to the ocean. It was a nice read, in a very sing-songy way that was pleasing to the ears. I could definitely see younger children loving this book and quickly picking up on the catch phrase that is repeated throughout the book.
Anabelle
Jul 20, 2016 Anabelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Turtle-heart leap!

This was a cute book. I got mine (kindle edition) from Amazon for free and read it off my browser. It gets a little brainwashing but I suppose that mimics the baby turtles' single-mindedness to return to their mother. If I had a collection of children's books, this one would definitely be part of it.
Michelle
Apr 01, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: forpleasure
This was a cute and touching story with great illustrations! I remember when I was a kid looking at pictures in these types of books for hours. This book is like the ones that hooked me. It has catchy word phrases, but the best part is the adorable pictures. I can see this being a child's favorite, especially if they like turtles.
Darlene
So adorable! I picked this up for free for my Kindle. I had a few moments between shiny things and decided to read it. There isn't much of a story but the illustrations were sweet. I, especially, liked the smiling turtle baby coming out of its shell. Not very scientifically correct, but would do well as a bedtime read.
Lydia
May 23, 2012 Lydia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The text repeats but I like that about this book- it gives it a nice comforting melody. This is one of our favorite bedtime stories right now and whenever I get to the I'll follow the moon line I have two little voices joining in with me. The artwork is fantastic.
Joanna
Dec 30, 2011 Joanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The pictures are beautiful. There is a coloring page on the kindle version and links for related preschool activities. I thought the poetry was just ok but my four year old asked a lot of of questions about sea turtles so it does engage young children.
Jinky
Jan 15, 2013 Jinky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, rhythmic, and soothing. The beautiful illustrations enhanced this book. A wonderful tale about the caring nature of mothers. A definite great freebie find!

Jinky is Reading
Barry Simiana
Apr 30, 2012 Barry Simiana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of small kids
Recommended to Barry by: The Author
Have just started reading this a few nights to Pooger. He loves the pictures tho he's still a bit little to understand the text. It' a beautiful book. The new babies will love it too.
Kara Cooney
This story is about a baby sea turtle who hatches. He hatches from an egg and goes on a journey to find his mother. Although the mom is not there the turtle knows that she is there and that they have a strong bond, just like the moon is always there. He goes through many challenges such as faces the strong currents of the water.

One of the main themes is to never give up, although the turtle faced some challenges while trying to find his mother he did not give up.

The illustrations of this story w
Steph
Mar 13, 2013 Steph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A comforting story that follows the path of a newly born sea turtle who is trying desperately to connect with its mother. The illustrations make the story come even more alive.
Lana
Dec 30, 2011 Lana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this to my grandson, he liked the turtles and the way they hatched from eggs. It was sweet how they swam to thier mothers.
Stephanie
May 31, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book off of my Kindle Fire and there is something magical reading about sea turtles.
Erin
Nov 30, 2011 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Very sweet story -- love the repeated phrase too. The pictures are simple but pretty.
  • Hugo The Happy Starfish: The Secret to Happiness
  • In the Sea
  • Daylight Starlight Wildlife
  • Counting Lions: Portraits from the Wild
  • Don't Juggle Bees! And Other Useless Advice For Silly Children
  • Where Does Kitty Go in the Rain?
  • A Place Beyond The Map
  • Look to the North: A Wolf Pup Diary
  • A Rock Can Be...
  • Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More!: Poems for Two Voices
  • Scaly Spotted Feathered Frilled: How do we know what dinosaurs really looked like?
  • Who Has These Feet?
  • How the Sun Got to Coco's House
  • A Home for Mr. Emerson
  • The Mouse and the Christmas Cake
  • God Gave Me You
  • Solving the Puzzle Under the Sea: Marie Tharp Maps the Ocean Floor
  • Winter Bees & Other Poems of the Cold
I've always believed that magic hides in special places. As a child, people would often stare at my bright red hair, which was very, very bright indeed. Unfortunately, I developed a bad habit of making up rhymes about all of them, and they soon became funny characters. I didn't have much time to think about being different; fanciful lyricisms danced in my head, and no one was safe! Since then, I'v ...more
More about Stephanie Lisa Tara...