Start by marking “Death Likes It Hot (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard)” as Want to Read:
Death Likes It Hot (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard)

Death Likes It Hot (Peter Cutler Sargeant II #3)

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  64 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews

In Death Likes it Hot, dashing P.R. man Peter Sargeant travels out to a posh beach community to help a wealthy socialite plan an end-of-summer party. His enjoyment of the sun, the surf, and the company of a lovely young fashion reporter is interrupted by the death of the socialite's niece: she mysteriously drowns while swimming on a crowded beach. No one suspects murder un

Published (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Death Likes It Hot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Likes It Hot

Carol
Aug 17, 2016 Carol rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Death Like It Hot was a fun look at summer in the Hamptons in the 50s, in addition to being a decent mystery. I have to admit I liked Peter Sargeant, even if he was a bit chauvinistic. He was smart and funny and a good observer, an outsider who sees all the quirks and tensions. And the rich and comfortable have a lot of quirks. This is the only one of the three in the series I've read, but it stood on its own well.

The mystery was okay. I think the author played fairly, that we knew most of the c
Nooilforpacifists
Jan 18, 2016 Nooilforpacifists rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Not much of a "punch". Vidal's Agatha Christie imitation seemed to run out mid-novel. Fortunately, his anti-women diatribes were more muted; "fags" remained his mortal enemy. The shrinks can take it from here.
Elizabeth
Sep 20, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this series because the three books were all entertaining and a very nice trip back to the days of the 1950's. Vidal naturally captured the time beautifully because he was living it but it did bring back memories for me, especially little things like many people taking baths rather than showering. This story also had a nice summer time feel about it.

The murder mystery was pretty much a fair play type although it wasn't too hard to settle on a perpetrator, albeit for the wrong reasons. Vi
Tony
DEATH LIKES IT HOT. (1954). Edgar Box (pseud. of Gore Vidal). ***.
This was the third and final mystery that Vidal wrote under the pen name Box. It was likely a good thing, too, since the plots were beginning to become much of a sameness. It is still a readable mystery patterned after the Golden Age mysteries of people like Agatha Christie. Our continuing hero is, again, Peter Sergeant, our erstwhile P. R. professional. This time he has been called to the Hamptons to help a wealthy dowager plan a
Scot
Jun 24, 2011 Scot rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third and last of the Peter Sargeant detective novels theat Gore Vidal secretly wrote under the pen name Edgar Box in the 1950s. The hero, a Harvard grad public relations man in New York City named Peter Sargeant, well networked with Social Register, political, and artistic connections, has a witty and caustic voice that is clearly Vidal enjoying himself at play. The first novel focused on the world of ballet, the second on DC politics, and this last takes a look at the country club set summerin ...more
Alvin
Jul 24, 2015 Alvin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only a smidgen of Mr. Vidal's scathing wit and nearly none of social insight can be found in this rather pedestrian whodunit. Good for painlessly killing a few hours, but not much more.
Libbeth
Synopsis from Fantastic Fiction
When Peter Cutler Sargeant II decided to mix business with a smart weekend in the Hamptons, he wasn't aware that the guest list was loaded. He found himself hobnobbing with a crown of sophisticated weirdos and the scene was anything but congenial. Besides the usual back biting, two timing and triple crossing that passed for fun in the Social Register sun, was someone had invented a trendy new game - and the trend was murder.
Phillip
I read this since I enjoy other Gore Vidal I've read. This isn't really my favorite Genre, but I found it well written. It does drag at some points and I felt sort of claustrophobic reading it with all of them staying at the same house. I would read another book from this series although I wouldn't say I'm rushing out to do so.
Tanya Behagen
Oct 01, 2013 Tanya Behagen rated it liked it
Неудивительно, что Гор Видал выпускал детективы под псевдонимом. Довольно расхлябанное чтиво, хотя и не без проблесков фирменного сарказма, написано впопыхах ради гонорара.
Tom Ratliff
Jun 24, 2012 Tom Ratliff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last mystery of the Gore Vidal as Edgar Box series. Clever, but the concept became a little worn (all three were similar).
Harolynne
This is the first of three books wherein Gore Vidal tries his hand at mysteries. Not bad. Not great but huge fun!
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Maron
Maron marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Stephanie Corkery
Stephanie Corkery marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Mickey
Mickey marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Doreen
Doreen added it
Jun 10, 2016
Storm
Storm marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
David Groves
David Groves rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2016
Simon
Simon rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2016
Johnny
Johnny marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Jess
Jess added it
Mar 22, 2016
Helena
Helena marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Russell Timmons
Russell Timmons rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Ted Dziedzic
Ted Dziedzic marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Gary
Gary rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Dec 30, 2015
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Eugene Luther Gore Vidal was an American writer known for his essays, novels, screenplays, and Broadway plays. He was also known for his patrician manner, Transatlantic accent, and witty aphorisms. Vidal came from a distinguished political lineage; his grandfather was the senator Thomas Gore, and he later became a relation (through marriage) to Jacqueline Kennedy.

Vidal ran for political office twi
More about Gore Vidal...

Peter Cutler Sargeant II (3 books)
  • Death in the Fifth Position