Death Likes It Hot (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard)

Death Likes It Hot (Peter Cutler Sargeant II #3)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  8 reviews

In Death Likes it Hot, dashing P.R. man Peter Sargeant travels out to a posh beach community to help a wealthy socialite plan an end-of-summer party. His enjoyment of the sun, the surf, and the company of a lovely young fashion reporter is interrupted by the death of the socialite's niece: she mysteriously drowns while swimming on a crowded beach. No one suspects murder un

Published (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Death Likes It Hot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Likes It Hot

Elizabeth
I liked this series because the three books were all entertaining and a very nice trip back to the days of the 1950's. Vidal naturally captured the time beautifully because he was living it but it did bring back memories for me, especially little things like many people taking baths rather than showering. This story also had a nice summer time feel about it.

The murder mystery was pretty much a fair play type although it wasn't too hard to settle on a perpetrator, albeit for the wrong reasons. Vi...more
Tony
DEATH LIKES IT HOT. (1954). Edgar Box (pseud. of Gore Vidal). ***.
This was the third and final mystery that Vidal wrote under the pen name Box. It was likely a good thing, too, since the plots were beginning to become much of a sameness. It is still a readable mystery patterned after the Golden Age mysteries of people like Agatha Christie. Our continuing hero is, again, Peter Sergeant, our erstwhile P. R. professional. This time he has been called to the Hamptons to help a wealthy dowager plan a...more
Scot
Third and last of the Peter Sargeant detective novels theat Gore Vidal secretly wrote under the pen name Edgar Box in the 1950s. The hero, a Harvard grad public relations man in New York City named Peter Sargeant, well networked with Social Register, political, and artistic connections, has a witty and caustic voice that is clearly Vidal enjoying himself at play. The first novel focused on the world of ballet, the second on DC politics, and this last takes a look at the country club set summerin...more
Libbeth
Synopsis from Fantastic Fiction
When Peter Cutler Sargeant II decided to mix business with a smart weekend in the Hamptons, he wasn't aware that the guest list was loaded. He found himself hobnobbing with a crown of sophisticated weirdos and the scene was anything but congenial. Besides the usual back biting, two timing and triple crossing that passed for fun in the Social Register sun, was someone had invented a trendy new game - and the trend was murder.
Phillip
I read this since I enjoy other Gore Vidal I've read. This isn't really my favorite Genre, but I found it well written. It does drag at some points and I felt sort of claustrophobic reading it with all of them staying at the same house. I would read another book from this series although I wouldn't say I'm rushing out to do so.
Tanya Behagen
Неудивительно, что Гор Видал выпускал детективы под псевдонимом. Довольно расхлябанное чтиво, хотя и не без проблесков фирменного сарказма, написано впопыхах ради гонорара.
Tom Ratliff
The last mystery of the Gore Vidal as Edgar Box series. Clever, but the concept became a little worn (all three were similar).
Harolynne
This is the first of three books wherein Gore Vidal tries his hand at mysteries. Not bad. Not great but huge fun!
Candice
Candice marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Kelley Tackett
Kelley Tackett marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Jay Kulpa
Jay Kulpa marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2013
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Eugene Luther Gore Vidal was an American writer known for his essays, novels, screenplays, and Broadway plays. He was also known for his patrician manner, Transatlantic accent, and witty aphorisms. Vidal came from a distinguished political lineage; his grandfather was the senator Thomas Gore, and he later became a relation (through marriage) to Jacqueline Kennedy.

Vidal ran for political office twi...more
More about Gore Vidal...