Live in a Better Way: Reflections on Truth, Love, and Happiness

Live in a Better Way: Reflections on Truth, Love, and Happiness

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  255 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Imbued with a friendly tone and pithy wisdom, this handsome handbook to approaching life "in a better way" includes six of His Holiness The Dalai Lama's most accessible and inspirational public lectures. Following each talk are the original question-and-answer sessions in which His Holiness opens himself up to his listeners and-now-to readers everywhere. His characteristic...more
Published April 1st 2002 by Penguin Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Live in a Better Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Live in a Better Way

Dan
Mar 29, 2008 Dan rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
This will be one of my shorter reviews for a simple reason. I was unable to complete this book. Teachings from the Dalai Lama are presented here as transcribed lectures presented at dharma celebrations in New Delhi. I must absolutely plead that my review of this book is in no way a review of the Buddhist faith or sets of beliefs.

With that urgent disclaimer established, I have to declare this book utterly unreadable. This is only the second book in my life that I’ve had to set down, unfinished. I...more
Zach
I'm not part of the Buddhist religion, but I find a great deal of peace and understanding in the Dalai Lama's teachings. He is wise and very compassionate. People often misunderstand the Buddhist religion. It is a "godless" religion in the sense of not believing in the same God that Christians do, but it is definitely not atheistic. You see, bodhissatvas are beings that have finally achieved fully enlightenment, recieved full happiness and inner peace, and is an expert at the cessation of suffer...more
Ben  Campopiano
“Even if a room has been in darkness for a hundred years, when you flick the light on, the darkness goes away.” –HINDU PROVERB

You can train your mind by analyzing other people’s experiences. By looking at history.

Whenever I examine human tragedy, I find that in most cases it is the result of human behavior – negative emotions such as anger, hatred, jealousy, and extreme greed.

When water is sprinkled it can’t move forcefully; when the same amount of water is channeled and focused, its energy or f...more
Katie Kenig
Feb 11, 2008 Katie Kenig rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone struggling with loss, anger, resentment or pain
Shelves: buddhism, non-fiction
Having gone through trials in the last few months that I never thought I'd have to face, this book couldn't have come into my life at a better time.

I find myself in the position of trying to find it in my heart to forgive someone who not only committed completely unforgivable acts against myself and my family, but feels no remorse for it whatsoever. I need to forgive her because the anger is eating *me* up inside. As this book teaches, she is no different for my anger, it does not affect her in...more
David Nichols
I took away the following lessons from this series of lectures that His Holiness gave in the 1980s and '90s: Be kind to others, practice nonviolence, avoid meat, use birth control, and meditate. I also read a number of passages like this:

"If we take up a particular phenomenon and analyze its nature, in the end it cannot be found. For example, if we first analyze the flower to discover its ultimate nature and its reality, we will discover the emptiness or inherent nature of the emptiness, which c...more
Mandy France
This was a very quick read. I particularly enjoyed the question and answer format of this book. Made it a different reading experience and more conversational with the Dalai Lama.
Roxanne
Reading something by the Dalai Lama always makes me wonder if he still feels the same way. Sure, this is what he thought eighteen years ago, but maybe he's more enlightened now. Like when he said he preferred samsara to nirvana, because at least it was activity and feeling and life. So, I'm always looking for His Holiness 2.0.

This was okay, maybe a little heavy on the advice to believers (practicing Buddhists), but still a good read.
Viraj
Interesting read. The main message is, help others as much as possible; if one cannot help, one should at least not harm others. Some things I could consider implementing are: doing breathing exercises, medication, possibly reducing or getting rid of non-veg diet etc.
Dalai Lama does NOT advertise buddism much. I was glad about that. He discusses it though, which is what I wanted to know about anyway. I would like to listen to his other books.
Jessica
I enjoyed the first few chapters of this book much more than the last few. The great thing about the Dalai Lama is that he is a teacher. He can explain things in a way that anyone can understand. The first chapters were very helpful and gave some great advice. The later chapters dove too deep into dharma and Buddhist texts for the average person to understand. Though it did help spark my interest in Buddhism! I would recoomend this to others.
Rachel Eldridge
I like the parts where he talks about getting rid of anger. This is a big deal for me, and I hold grudges and keep anger close to avoid getting hurt. I can't get behind the parts where the self is made a low priority. I work to make myself a priority too. There are some huge lessons you can take from this book, however, even if you are not Buddist.
Stefanie
A simple idea that could easily be summed up in a short sentence becomes pages of saying the same thing over and over in different ways. The editor blew it.
Anne
I was unable to complete this book. In my opinion, the editor did a horrible job.
Adam
A vital, inspirational collection of extremely important and beautiful ideas. A good read even if you're not too interested in Buddhism; the spiritual theses here ought to resonate with all seekers of harmony and truth, regardless of their personal beliefs. Read it!
Jackie
I read this in 2001, and it helped me to consider how my life impacts others. The readings help to get in touch with your compassionate side and gain perspective on living outside yourself and your worries. I really need to re-read this again very soon.
Brad
A couple of his speeches were really informative. Others were less germane to my life as a nonbeliever. The question and answer parts of these books always hit on something.

"'What makes his holiness most happy?'
'Sound sleep and good food!'"
Brooklyn James
Great read. Speaks well to removing suffering from life by rethinking attachment and it's variables. Highly recommend to anyone reflective who may enjoy a thinking read. This books pays tribute to a healthy attitude and enlightenment.
Alison
A very insightful book on Buddhism. It got very detailed and in-depth at the end and it bacame difficult to read; however, still a very worthwhile read for those with questions about spirituality.
John Jolly
Nov 26, 2007 John Jolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in reading works by the Dalai Lama
Shelves: buddhism
This was a very in-depth look at Buddhism, being happy, and the Dalai Lama's thoughts on life. It included questions from his seminars and his commentaries on certain topics.
Cameron
This is my early morning reading meditative reading. Who better than the Dalai Lama XIV to get your spirit engaged and going in a positive direction?
Robyn
If life stresses you out, read this book and it'll put everything in perspective! You don't have to be religious to get something out of this book.
Drinkncoffee
I found this to be another meaty book on Buddhism. I have to go back and re-read paragraphs in order to fully comprehend and savor the concepts.
Dana
I read this to learn more about Buddhism and the Dalai Lama. I had many philosophical "aha" moments as I read this collection of lectures.
Alisha
So many wonderful suggestions on how to reduce my suffering...it's the putting them into practice that's so hard!!!
Christina Jones
Slightly dry, but very informative. The Dali Lama has such a big heart and it shows!!
Crystal
if you dont have the time or patience to meditate, at least read dalai lama....
Mar 11, 2009 Sarah rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: Mom
It was all right. But Buddism isn't my " cup of tea".
Mckinley
Deep teachings with practice suggestions.
Lynn Manning
  • Be Free Where You Are
  • Buddhism: A Concise Introduction
  • If the Buddha Married: Creating Enduring Relationships on a Spiritual Path
  • The Camino: A Journey of the Spirit
  • Letting Go of the Person You Used to Be: Lessons on Change, Loss, and Spiritual Transformation
  • Introduction to Buddhism: An Explanation of the Buddhist Way of Life
  • The Open Road: The Global Journey of the Fourteenth Dalai Lama
  • Buddhism For Beginners
  • Plant Spirit Medicine: The Healing Power of Plants
  • Getting Unstuck: Breaking Your Habitual Patterns & Encountering Naked Reality
Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso (born Lhamo Döndrub), the 14th Dalai Lama, is a practicing member of the Gelug School of Tibetan Buddhism and is influential as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, the world's most famous Buddhist monk, and the leader of the exiled Tibetan government in India.

Tenzin Gyatso was the fifth of sixteen children born to a farming family. He was proclaimed the...more
More about Dalai Lama XIV...
The Art of Happiness An Open Heart: Practicing Compassion in Everyday Life The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality How to Practice: The Way to a Meaningful Life Freedom in Exile: The Autobiography of the Dalai Lama