Blank-133x176
Girl with the Silver Eyes

Willo Davis Roberts

Girl with the Silver Eyes

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  5,135 ratings  ·  348 reviews
Katie Welker is used to being alone. She would much rather read a book than deal with other people. Other people don't have silver eyes and other people can't make things happen just by thinking about them! Sometimes Katie even enjoys playing tricks on people.
Unbound, 198 pages
Published January 1st 1991 by Turtleback Books (first published July 1st 1980)

Sean
Jun 19, 2007 Sean rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids and adults who like kid books
This was one of my favorite books for a long time. I reread it at regular intervals, and never ceased to thrill every time Katie learned to use her powers in a different and more spectacular way. I identified strongly with Katie, I think, because I was also an extremely precocious child whom grownups found intimidating and inscrutable, and I valued anyone who treated me like a real person instead of a freak or a "genius."
Wendy Darling
The first paranormal book I ever remember reading, and one that still holds up as an adult. I loved the whole idea of a girl with telekinetic powers who doesn't fit anywhere--until she finds out that there is a small group of other kids just like her. Well-written with memorable characters, it's the book that started my love for supernatural books. It's a shame the author's other books never really lived up to this one.
Carrie
I read this so many times as a child, and wished I was a character in the book.
Susan
I admit, I haven't read this book in at least 20 years, probably 4th or 5th grade, but I loved it back then!

I think most kids (adults too) relate to stories where the protagonist is 'different' but discovers that not only are the differences a good thing (super powers), but that they may someday find others who are like them.

I'm tempted to pick up this book again, but I have such good memories that I'm not sure I want to chance rereading it with grown-up eyes.
John
First of all: holy crap. Dave sent this to me out of the blue, and when I pulled it out of the bubble envelope, I almost jumped. A real icy blast from the past.

But by way of direct review: loved it when I was a kid, loved it again. Had to stay up and read it even though I didn't collect it from the mail until last thing at night. I definitely read it with more of a sinister bent than a kids' book warrants, but I like it better that way.

A girl with silver eyes and mysterious powers (telekinesis a...more
HeavyReader
My sister had a copy of this book when we were kids and she read it over and over again. I don't know why I never read it. I typically read anything and everything that was lying around the house. Maybe Sis never let go of it long enough for me to read it.

I knew that the book involved a little girl who could move things with her mind. Sometimes I tried to do that too. I never had any success, but I halfway believed I couldn't do it because I didn't believe I could do it.

When I decided to read no...more
Colin
I'm starting to notice a pattern here; a lot of the books I really liked as a kid had to do with extra smart kids who wore glasses and were bookish and somewhat socially awkward. Huh. I liked that this book in particular draws a very specific parallel between disability and people's fear of difference. Again, no wonder I liked it.
Tamara the Librarian
Pretty good story. Solidly written. Built a decent amount of suspense. Need to find if there's a sequel. A decent kid version of the X-men (with magic powers not quite as exciting).

Loneliness, being different, adults not respecting kids
Kirsten
This book made a huge impression on me when I was a kid, and I've since learned that many other people remember it fondly. I was pleased to find that it holds up pretty well on re-reading, although it's shorter and less in-depth than I remembered -- I apparently inadvertantly mixed in some plot elements from Stephen King's Firestarter in my recollection.

Anyway, like I said, it holds up well. Katie, who has psychokinetic powers, remains a wonderfully precocious and slightly off-putting protagonis...more
Alice
I read this book when I was younger, and I remember liking it very much, but I couldn't remember why.

Katie Welker is an unusual girl. She creeps people out, because of her flat expression and silver-colored eyes. That's even before they know that she can move small objects with her mind, call up breezes that can slam doors and scatter papers, and she can communicate with animals. When her grandmother, who's been taking care of her most of her life, passes away unexpectedly, she goes to live with...more
Swankivy
I'm gonna guess this was one of the first books I read that featured a main character who lived in the modern, ordinary world but had extraordinary abilities. That's what I liked about it, and it was probably my first exposure to a fictional character with telekinetic powers. ::sniffle--ahh, the memories!:: But you know what? The book itself is kinda one-dimensional. The characters are odd and they're in a situation that just seems really written and contrived. Katie's quest to find others like...more
Robyn
i really and truly loved this book as a child, and I think it's grossly overlooked and underrated. Katie, the main character, is at once easy to identify with and very alien, which makes for a very compelling combination. Katie is a normal girl in many ways, and does many of the things with her power that we all would; shutting off lights from across the room, and playing tricks. However, she is very strange, and this sets her apart from the reader, making this something other than a simple wish...more
ambyr
I loved this book when I was a kid, so I was happy to find it stood up to adult reading. It's refreshing to find a tale of psychic children who use their powers not to save the world but to make their beds, harass their babysitters, and generally act like kids. The conflict arises from misunderstandings between kids and adults, not some evil opposing force.

In short, there's no "with great power comes great responsibility" here, just good old-fashioned fun. And it is old-fashioned in a certain s...more
Samrat
Mar 26, 2014 Samrat rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Samrat by: Jenny Gubernick
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, ya, magickery
I adore personal recommendations, and I don't usually wait two years to act on them, oops. Give me more, though. Seriously. So, I can't remember if there was a specific context to this one or whether it was a beloved childhood classic being passed on or what, but this was delightful.

As far as I know, I've never read Willo Davis Roberts, but I can see she would have been an extremely influential author had I discovered her at a younger age. As it was, this is a juvenile book. A nice change after...more
Julie Sondra Decker
This book was the story of Katie, an isolated and awkward girl who secretly has unexplained superpowers. As she struggles to discover the secrets in her past that made her so different from her peers, she also draws closer to finding others like herself. The pressure is on when someone who seems very curious about her moves into the same apartment complex and starts asking about her.

This was probably the first book I read about a modern-day child who had unusual abilities, and that's one of the...more
Melinda
I went through a period about age 12-14 when I was tremendously lonely; I read and reread this book repeatedly. It made me feel better, though I reminded myself I would not want to be snide nor hurt anyone. It gave me hope that I might find others that would understand and care about me, which did indeed happen. Though there are days when I'm still a little lonely, it passes when I realize how many vibrant, intelligent, lively, and cheerful people I know!
Alicia
I don't know what made me think of this book last night, but I did. It was a childhood favorite. I've probably read this one more times than I've ever read any other single book in the world. I considered this paperback to be one of my prized possessions. Boy, did I love this book!
Nayad Monroe
I loved this book when I was around the age of the protagonist, Katie--around 10 or so. Re-reading it this afternoon, I see how it's a great book for kids, although as an adult I see some weak places in the plot. Still, it's a fun book.
Sara
I read this book over and over and over again when I was younger. Kinda like Matilda, I guess, but less whimsical. I really liked it. Made me wish I had silver eyes, that's for sure.
Greta
Nov 23, 2008 Greta rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with a heart for literature and a mind for imagination.
Recommended to Greta by: No one I found it *don't ever judge a book by it's cover*
Definitely an enchanting tale a young girl finding herself and where she belongs.I highly recommend this book to anyone who is willing to kill time in a fantastic manner.
Mckayla
Aug 09, 2008 Mckayla rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mckayla by: It was on school reading list
This book was interesting right from the very first page! The exitment grows and grows as you go. The book is fun and exiting. I definitely recomend it!
rivka
Jul 16, 2007 rivka rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids, especially "gifted" kids
Shelves: kids
I had forgotten about this book! It was a marvelous book for a kid who was used to being seen by her peers as "too smart."
An Abundance of Books
I LOVED this book as a kid! I haven't read it in years, so the star rating reflects how much I remember enjoying it.
Greg Pallett
One of my favorite books as a kid. If you ever felt like you didn't fit in, you could identify with this book.
Melinda
This was a selection of my 8 year old's book club. He thought I would like it and I did!
V. Gingerich
I used to want to live this book and I read it countless times as a kid.
Wealhtheow
Book worm nerds with telekinesis!
caitybug13
Nine year old Katie Welker is used to being alone, and is used to people avoiding her. With her striking silver eyes, Katie can be quite unsettling and so, having no one to turn to, Katie hides herself away in books.
But, Katie has a secret. Her eyes aren't the only unsettling thing about her. Katie has the ability to do things normal people can't do. Katie can do things using only the power of her mind. Nine year old Katie has never met someone with any ability similar to her own, but she can't...more
Dreamergirl
This was a very surprisingly well written and YA category book for such a plot. I was so surprised when I read the back cover and the first page that I started reading it, right there- in the bookstore. After I got to the half of the book, I went home and put it on hold immediatly at the library. I think this tells it all but what was more was that the author built so much tension all the while that I had to remind myself to breath at times. I didn't let go of this book until I had finished it t...more
  • Anna to the Infinite Power
  • Behind the Attic Wall
  • Ghosts I Have Been (Blossom Culp, #2)
  • Into the Dream
  • Midnight in the Dollhouse (Apple)
  • The Forgotten Door
  • This Place Has No Atmosphere
  • What the Witch Left
  • And All Between (Green Sky, #2)
  • Ellen Tebbits (Ellen & Otis, #1)
  • Anastasia Krupnik (Anastasia Krupnik, #1)
  • The Fairy Rebel
  • The Dollhouse Murders
  • The Pinballs
  • Nothing's Fair in Fifth Grade
  • My Teacher Glows in the Dark (My Teacher is an Alien, #3)
Willo Davis Roberts was an American writer chiefly known for her mystery novels for children and young adults. She won Edgar Allan Poe awards in 1989, 1995, and 1997 for best juvenile and best young adult mysteries. Her books included The View from the Cherry Tree, Twisted Summer, Don't Hurt Laurie, Megan's Island, Baby-sitting is a Dangerous Job, Hostage, The Girl with Silver Eyes, The One Left B...more
More about Willo Davis Roberts...
The View from the Cherry Tree The One Left Behind Twisted Summer Don't Hurt Laurie Hostage