Start by marking “The Roly Poly Spider” as Want to Read:
The Roly Poly Spider

The Roly Poly Spider

Parodying the classic The Itsy Bitsy Spider, the hilarious story tells of a Roly Poly Spider who has all of her friends for lunch--literally--and becomes so chubby that she cannot get up the water spout.
Published January 1st 1994 by Scholastic, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Roly Poly Spider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Roly Poly Spider

Ronyell
When I was a child, there were many books in the past that made me feel a bit… uncomfortable because of the content and they were usually those books where characters eat other characters… “The Roly-Poly Spider” was one of those books. “The Roly-Poly Spider” is a children’s book written by Jill Sardegna along with illustrations by Tedd Arnold and it is about how a spider declares that she is lonely, but she is also extremely hungry. “The Roly-Poly Spider” may have cute illustrations that childre ...more
Marfita
Jan 07, 2009 Marfita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime, own, children-s
I have to review this book because I don't want people to think I go around looking for things (books, people, just ... things) that annoy me so I can excoriate them on the web. I do, I just don't want you to think that's all I do.
There are some books I like, really like, and this is one of them. I just used it today in a storytime and, as per usual, it went over great. I love it, kids love it, the rest of you can go soak your heads.
What is not to like about this book? First of all, you can pair
Cailean
Jun 03, 2011 Cailean rated it did not like it
Shelves: have-read
I visited our son's preschool and another little boy asked me to read this book to him. I thought, "Hmm, cute cartoon cover...this will surely be a nice book." WRONG-O. I had to stifle my gag reflex as I read it. A spider spins her web and puts on the air of being lonely so as to entice other insects over, ONLY TO EAT THEM. And it doesn't just imply the eating, but it shows it either as she is eating them or just before, with their scared pained face knowing their ensuing fate. NO THANKS!! It wa ...more
John
Aug 21, 2015 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All the preschool kids that I have read this to absolutely love it, and they want to have it read to them every day, out of a classroom full of books. I can't believe that so many reviewers think that there is a monstrous lesson being taught here. Sorry everyone, spiders catch bugs and eat them! Roly-Poly Spider isn't being presented here as a role model for cryin' out loud, she's a villain! I suppose the faint of heart would be shocked that my grammar school teachers (nuns in parochial school,i ...more
Dolly
Apr 09, 2014 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, humor, rhyming, 2014
This is a humorous tale about a very hungry spider. The rhyming narrative is fun to read aloud although some of the rhymes flow better than others. It's a bit creepy (to me, at least) that she interacts and makes 'friends' with her food.

The illustrations by Tedd Arnold are colorful and cartoonish and remind us strongly of his Fly Guy series. Overall, it's a fun story to read aloud and we enjoyed reading it together.
Melanie
The Roly-Poly Spider is so hungry in one day she eats a beetle, a ladybug, a caterpillar, a millipede, a bumblebee, a bee and a fly. She's so fat that when she travels down a drainpipe, she has to wiggle and wobble herself out. And she's still hungry after that!
Anna
Jun 17, 2010 Anna rated it really liked it
Cute book. The 7-year-old I read it with enjoyed it. Great to use when teaching predicting to younger kids.
Anna Scheunemann
Jul 04, 2013 Anna Scheunemann rated it liked it
Recommended to Anna by: Kenzi
Shelves: picture-books
A four year old I work with loves this book. She will listen to it twice in a row and ask 'again?'.
Jaime
Apr 05, 2011 Jaime rated it liked it
I thought this was a little morbid for children. There is something about enticing "friends" so one isn't lonely and then eating them that is too much.
Text to text: The spider and the fly (don't be seduced by sweet words)

Lesson: animals will abide by their nature (Fantastic mr. fox/ Carnivores)
Evelyn
Evelyn rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2015
Martin
Martin rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Andria
Andria rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2015
Anita
Anita rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2017
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was ok
May 14, 2012
Michelle Pereira
Michelle Pereira rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2012
Traci A Wilgenhof
Traci A Wilgenhof rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2015
Amy Kidd
Amy Kidd rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2014
Danica
Feb 04, 2015 Danica rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-book
This is not appropriate for children. It's disgusting and horrific.
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2012
Kara Conlon
Kara Conlon rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2013
Cat
Cat rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Susan L. Greig
Susan L. Greig rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2011
Teressa
Teressa rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2007
Natalie O
Natalie O rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2014
Beverly
Beverly rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2014
Bree Flea
Bree Flea rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2010