Start by marking “Sharpen Your Heels: Mrs. Moneypenny's Career Advice for Women” as Want to Read:
Sharpen Your Heels: Mrs. Moneypenny's Career Advice for Women

Sharpen Your Heels: Mrs. Moneypenny's Career Advice for Women

3.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  50 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Star Financial Times columnist Mrs. Moneypenny says the smartest thing women can do for their careers is to stop trying to “have it all” – time is scarce and you can’t excel both at work and at home, so stop feeling guilty already! Instead, she shows you how to figure out what you want, make your choices and own them in her latest book, Sharpen Your Heels: Mrs. Moneypenny' ...more
Published February 2nd 2012 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about Sharpen Your Heels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sharpen Your Heels

Jess Dollar
Jun 12, 2012 Jess Dollar rated it really liked it
Let me start this review by saying this: I am not a career woman. Never have been, probably never will be. My heart is at home with my children and partner. I do run a business, but it is not the center of my life.
I read this book because I heard the author give a talk to the RSA and loved some of the advice she had for women.
Here is what I think this book has to offer every woman, whether a career-minded one or a SAH mom:

1. It's important to make a list of your top priorities. Once you do this,
Kira
May 25, 2016 Kira rated it it was amazing
An impulse purchase and so happy I made it.

As a women who wants to excel career wise and still manage to "do it all" in all other aspects it was a great read. Mrs. Moneypenny brings humor and sincerity to a topic that almost seems taboo. How does a woman choose between a high profile career and a family? Why do women feel guilt over choosing one or the other? Why do we try to be super human? All these questions are answered in fun anecdotal tellings and examples of real women that are managing.
Apr 05, 2016 Laura rated it it was ok
Not particularly good if you are outside of the financial world, though I did take away a couple things I want to think more about (what do I want others to know me for? do i get myself in front of the right people to advance my career? do i have a list of priorities that i use to make decisions?)

one of the jarring things was how much she gave over to sexism. she pointed it out, acknowledged she was doing it as a pragmatic thing-- her book isn't meant to change the world, it is made to help wome
Shawntele
Mar 15, 2015 Shawntele rated it really liked it
Quick read; a few good take always that I will definitely use.
Lois
May 07, 2012 Lois rated it really liked it
"Sharpen Your Heels" is one of the best books I've read that offers advice to women in business. It's full of useful career advice. Mrs. Moneypenny is British so it may take a minute for those of us on the other side of the pond to translate phrases such as "works a treat" and "training contract or scheme" but the problems women face as the aspire to climb the ladder are universal. Whether you're new to the corporate world or have years of experience as I do you will benefit from following Mrs. ...more
Kandace Ferguson
Apr 27, 2013 Kandace Ferguson rated it liked it
Although I think this book could benefit someone who has already begun to climb the professional ladder, it is not very helpful to those who are wanting to start out. This book seemed a little to feminist and focused on biased reasons why women have a hard time in the business world. I liked this book, but I did not love it.
Maria
Apr 20, 2012 Maria rated it really liked it
I thought the tough love was good love but it can be a bit exhausting. Nonetheless, her advice is great and her life is an inspiring example for the modern day ambitious woman.
Erin
Sep 09, 2012 Erin rated it liked it

Exhausting read. Some great points if you are looking to grow your career. Question is, are you ready to do all of this for a career?
Brittnee
Dec 21, 2012 Brittnee rated it did not like it
Shelves: garbage
No... Just no.
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Jessica Medved
Jessica Medved is currently reading it
Apr 27, 2016
Zaineb
Zaineb marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Joan
Joan rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Gina
Gina added it
Dec 17, 2015
Belle Gray
Belle Gray marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Lyn
Lyn added it
Aug 28, 2015
Esther
Esther rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2015
Shaneka
Shaneka is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2015
Erin Sullivan
Erin Sullivan marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Jennie
Jennie marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Sukeerti
Sukeerti marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Dr Yvonne
Dr Yvonne rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2015
Marianne Catbagan
Marianne Catbagan rated it it was ok
Mar 09, 2015
Alison Kress
Alison Kress rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Corrie
Corrie marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Victoria
Victoria rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2014
uninspired
uninspired marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Ale
Ale marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
The Hub
The Hub marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2014