Start by marking “Sharpen Your Heels: Mrs. Moneypenny's Career Advice for Women” as Want to Read:
Sharpen Your Heels: Mrs. Moneypenny's Career Advice for Women

Sharpen Your Heels: Mrs. Moneypenny's Career Advice for Women

Star Financial Times columnist Mrs. Moneypenny says the smartest thing women can do for their careers is to stop trying to “have it all” – time is scarce and you can’t excel both at work and at home, so stop feeling guilty already! Instead, she shows you how to figure out what you want, make your choices and own them in her latest book, Sharpen Your Heels: Mrs. Moneypenny' ...more
Published February 2nd 2012 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about Sharpen Your Heels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sharpen Your Heels

Jess Dollar
Jun 12, 2012 Jess Dollar rated it really liked it
Let me start this review by saying this: I am not a career woman. Never have been, probably never will be. My heart is at home with my children and partner. I do run a business, but it is not the center of my life.
I read this book because I heard the author give a talk to the RSA and loved some of the advice she had for women.
Here is what I think this book has to offer every woman, whether a career-minded one or a SAH mom:

1. It's important to make a list of your top priorities. Once you do this,
Apr 05, 2016 Laura rated it it was ok
Not particularly good if you are outside of the financial world, though I did take away a couple things I want to think more about (what do I want others to know me for? do i get myself in front of the right people to advance my career? do i have a list of priorities that i use to make decisions?)

one of the jarring things was how much she gave over to sexism. she pointed it out, acknowledged she was doing it as a pragmatic thing-- her book isn't meant to change the world, it is made to help wome
Kira
May 25, 2016 Kira rated it it was amazing
An impulse purchase and so happy I made it.

As a women who wants to excel career wise and still manage to "do it all" in all other aspects it was a great read. Mrs. Moneypenny brings humor and sincerity to a topic that almost seems taboo. How does a woman choose between a high profile career and a family? Why do women feel guilt over choosing one or the other? Why do we try to be super human? All these questions are answered in fun anecdotal tellings and examples of real women that are managing.
Lois
May 07, 2012 Lois rated it really liked it
"Sharpen Your Heels" is one of the best books I've read that offers advice to women in business. It's full of useful career advice. Mrs. Moneypenny is British so it may take a minute for those of us on the other side of the pond to translate phrases such as "works a treat" and "training contract or scheme" but the problems women face as the aspire to climb the ladder are universal. Whether you're new to the corporate world or have years of experience as I do you will benefit from following Mrs. ...more
Ana Ramirez
Jun 17, 2016 Ana Ramirez rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this book. Some parts of the book were boring or irrelevant to me but it's not that big of a deal. This book is filled with great advice, especially for business women. I'm glad I read this book at an early age, because I really feel that a lot of this advice can be used later down the road to help one succeed. I will definitely reccommend this book to all my fellow business women and girl friends in general.
Kandace Ferguson
Apr 27, 2013 Kandace Ferguson rated it liked it
Although I think this book could benefit someone who has already begun to climb the professional ladder, it is not very helpful to those who are wanting to start out. This book seemed a little to feminist and focused on biased reasons why women have a hard time in the business world. I liked this book, but I did not love it.
Erin
Sep 09, 2012 Erin rated it liked it

Exhausting read. Some great points if you are looking to grow your career. Question is, are you ready to do all of this for a career?
Maria
Apr 20, 2012 Maria rated it really liked it
I thought the tough love was good love but it can be a bit exhausting. Nonetheless, her advice is great and her life is an inspiring example for the modern day ambitious woman.
Vanessa Ainsworth
Vanessa Ainsworth rated it really liked it
May 10, 2013
Sarah rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2012
Mandy Yeung
Mandy Yeung rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2014
Dr Yvonne
Dr Yvonne rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2015
Mollie
Mollie rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2014
Julianna Dawson
Julianna Dawson rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2013
Tamara
Tamara rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2012
Erica Sarrazolla
Erica Sarrazolla rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Anne
Anne rated it it was ok
Oct 06, 2014
Laura Fallon
Laura Fallon rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2013
Nila Parmerlee
Nila Parmerlee rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2012
Rosalind
Rosalind rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2014
Abigail
Abigail rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2016
Andreea Staicu
Andreea Staicu rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2012
Alison Kress
Alison Kress rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Becky
Becky rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2013
Jamie
Jamie rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2012
Bethany Ramus
Bethany Ramus rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2013
Teradata
Teradata rated it did not like it
May 25, 2013
Adriana Citlali
Adriana Citlali rated it did not like it
Jun 01, 2012
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2013