The Art of Growing Old: Aging with Grace

The Art of Growing Old: Aging with Grace

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  19 reviews
A groundbreaking approach to aging from one of France's best- known clinical psychologists.

How should we accept growing old? It's an inevitable progression and yet in Western society the very subject of aging is often taboo and shrouded in anxiety and shame. Not anymore, says Marie de Hennezel, an internationally renowned clinical psychologist and bestselling author. Now...more
Published April 12th 2012 by Viking Adult (first published January 1st 2008)

Greta
I enjoyed reading this book about ageing, in that it gave me some perspective on the "elderly" people I know as well as some insight as to what I might need to focus on as I grow older. The author approaches this uncomfortable subject with honesty and grace, showing us what makes the difference between becoming an old person and aging. Despite the sometimes painful, lonely, and depressing possibilities involved as we approach the end of our lives, there are ways of looking at things, of understa...more
Abailart
The huge problems associated with an ageing population in the rich countries is upon us already. For everybody, the financial implications are enormous. Attitudes to the elderly are largely negative in a culture preoccupied by youth, maintainance of youth and health, and the pervasive beliefs that becoming old brings nothing but misery, almost a loss of humanity. Provision for the elderly (in the UK) is patchy. Some families do ensure excellent levels of care and dignity, many do not. "Homes" ca...more
ilham.mukhtar
Linda
Very French. An absolutely lovely approach to aging. Looking forward to reading her previous book, "Intimate Death".
Crawford
I had to start reading this book before finishing The Finckler Question when I left it and The Good Book in my Melbourne hotel room (they have been retrieved but yet to make the journey home). In hindsight, this characterizes the general premise of this book: as time passes life throws you curved ball (after curved ball, after curved ball, etc etc); respond with a sour attitude and misfortune follows misfortune, smile and the world smiles with you. So I lost the book I was reading, get over it,...more
Andree
Might need to read this again a few times - and hope to live long enough to really have chance to age without growing old. I didn't quite empathise with the examples yet, I still feel too young! It's full of wisdom, though I also think much of what she says might apply to any age. Inner beauty, wisdom and courage is much more important than our outward appearance.
Susan Reed
Too much repetition.
There are some good stories here, but there is a lot of redundancy as well.
Josephine
I bought this book after hearing it featured on woman's hour on Radio 4. It deals with the difficult question of how to get old with dignity and grace in a society which places so little value on it's elderly and their care.

I found it both thought provoking and interesting although possibly somewhat idealistic in places. It does no harm to be reminded from time to time about the things in life which are of real value and there is nothing wrong with having something to aim at providing we don't g...more
Vida
I have learned that ageing can be a wonderful, joyful experience, if we cultivate and maintain the youthfulness of our hearts. In a world where so much emphasis is placed on outward appearance, it was so refreshing to read about the inward work that can be done, to transform old age into meaningfulness. Takes the fear out of growing old, but still looks realistically at all the challenges. One of my favourite quotes: "When you have grown old, newness always comes from the inside."
Pauline Evans
A book I saw advertised in the Daily Mail and was captured by the title. As I am passed the half century mark I thought it would be good to read about how to embrace life at any age and how to stay happy and what it really means to grow old gracefully. Its a great message of happiness and wisdom for all ages and its a wonderful lesson that will inspire anyone who wants to age without becoming old . . . that's definitely me!!
Carolyn
Picked this book off the library shelf. I thought it was a thoughtful and compassionate discussion of growing old in Western society. The author is a fairly famous French psychologist who made the compassionate case for looking at the benefits of growing old and the realities of it, too. There is a chapter on sexuality/sensuality of old age which was beautifully written.
Colin
There were some good insights in this, especially in the passages where it was real and down to earth (chapters on elderly care, for example) but at bottom it's a self-help book and the platitude-to-usefulness ratio was too high. Whole chapters were dedicated to the vacuous pronouncements of nuns and self-styled taoists. I'm glad it's over.
Dolores Gómez
I loved this book, it took me longer than expected just because it´s beautifully written and I wanted to enjoy the wording and the message. There are some hard parts but it has a very positive and hopeful outlook on aging.
Annette
This one you start to read and think, oh yea same 'ole ideas of getting old, but then -- it gives good ways to think about and accept aging and living while feeling the aging process.
Abcdarian
I suspect the older the reader, the more they will get out of this book. Although it has some awkwardness due to being a translation, it presents an excellent message.
Barbara
I skimmed this book; it was a bit dry, but her thoughts on aging gracefully were interesting, and I was happy to find I'm doing everything she suggests already!
Kathy
Not quite true that I "read" it. I quit reading. I thought the premise was very interesting but the book just didn't deliver.
Cassandra
An enlightened look at the inevitable process of aging and how to embrace it. As another reviewer stated: Very French.
☯Bettie☯
Eva
Full of humanity. Will have to re-read time and time again
Manuela Bertão
Manuela Bertão marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Wingflew
Wingflew marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Melissa Falter
Melissa Falter marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Marie Gaultier de la Ferrière dite Marie de Hennezel, est née le 5 août 1946 à Lyon, est une psychologue, psychothérapeute et auteur française. [http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_de...]

Marie de Hennezel may not be a household name in America, but in France she's a trailblazer. The therapist who helped the late French President Jacques Mitterand through the final stages of his cancer, she's been l...more
More about Marie de Hennezel...
Intimate Death: How the Dying Teach Us How to Live L'art de mourir: traditions religieuses et spiritualité humaniste face à la mort aujourd'hui Nós não nos despedimos Mourir Les Yeux Ouverts La Chaleur Du Coeur Empêche Nos Corps De Rouiller (French Edition)