First Term at Trebizon (Trebizon, #1)

First Term at Trebizon (Trebizon #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Fresh from a London comprehensive, Rebecca Mason is plunged into life at Trebizon, the famous boarding school for girls. Lonely and anxious to prove herself, Rebecca decides to write something for the school magazine. But the piece that appears is not the one she intended and she unwittingly triggers a row which rocks the school. It's a good thing Rebecca has some new frie...more
Published 1988 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1978)

Andrea
First in an apparently popular series that I'd not heard of before - boarding school stories set in the 70s (which gives them a very different tone to the much earlier ones). Short, engaging, without being urgently compelling or transformative - though no doubt it would be much more interesting to young teens.

With her parents off to work in Saudi Arabia, Rebecca is off to a boarding school for the first time ever, starting in the second year (of high school) after all the others in her year have...more
Katie Marriott
I definitely went through a phase of being obsessed with boarding school stories and this series was one of my favourites. It's really hard to get hold now so I am always on the look out for copies as it is a series that I used to read and re-read and re-read and I would love to read it again as an adult.
Deborah
Really strong first book in the series. Good plot, great characters, and Anne Digby captures perfectly the anxieties and triumphs of girls of this age in a story that's brief, but memorable.
Ruby Rose Scarlett
Reread in February 2014: I can't believe I haven't reread these last year. It's good to go back to Trebizon, it's such a comforting world. I absolutely love the school magazine details in this.

October 2012: This was so nice! I was craving a boarding school story and this met my needs beautifully. The characters are well fleshed-out for this type of novel, the friendships are really good and the plot was gripping. I really enjoyed reading about The Trebizon Journal and the girls' creativity and d...more
Carolynne
Anne Digby is the latest in a long line of British authors of school stories. Written in the 1970's, they vary from more traditional school stories with the addition of boys, technology, married teachers, among other things.
Rebecca Mason, the main character, desires to achieve a name for herself by writing for the student literary magazine. An editor who has her own ideas of what makes a good school magazine causes Rebecca to miss her opportunity, but her friend Trish solves the problem her own...more
Erykah
Blast from the past! Loved this series as a kid (it had boys and surfing and was far more modern). Discovered they're now all on Kindle so may dip back into them when I need a nostalgia kick. Perfect reading for a hungover rainy new year's day.
Elgalla
I used to love books about boarding schools when I was younger -and I supposed the reason I loved Harry Potter as much as I did was precisely that- and I've been feeling nostalgic recently. I hadn't read the Trebizon series previously and found the first book very satisfying and easy to read. It definitely had an Enid Blyton aroma but that's hardly a bad thing in my book.
Kirsti
Rebecca isn't much of a character, but I can tell she is going to be. She is so wishy washy as a main character that you just know she is going to grow into one of the beautiful Sixth Former Head Girl/Prefects I love in school stories. I can't wait to read the rest, if this is the first. What have I been missing out on?
Sally
Rebecca is an interesting enough character, but I never liked the Trebizon series growing up - too modern, too many boys! I preferred the old-fashioned charm of Malory Towers. However, I eventually decided to give Trebizon another go and while I still much prefer my Blytons, it's not a bad series after all.
Mhairi Gowans
A delightful take on the boarding school story. All the trappings that are typical of the genre but a slightly more modern feel - its really amusing to think that this was only published 8 years after the last Chalet School. Just goes to show just how antiquated CS became in its later years.
Isabel
This is the first book in a series set at Trebizon boarding school and it introduces us to Rebecca Mason and her friends. A must read for all fans of boarding school stories.
Kayrah
I remember my dad gave me this to read as a teen! really enjoyed the story and read many times
Kate
I enjoyed the first few Trebizon books, but lost interest toward the end of the series.
Noodar
I borrowed the book from the school library and read it... It was okay. I enjoyed it.
Hettie
A quick enjoyable read. A more modern take on the classic boarding school story.
Stacey Woods
A little dated now, but lovely to read again!
Estelle
one of my favorites!
Floryie
Floryie marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Ksenia
Ksenia marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Brigitte
Brigitte marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
  • The Princess of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #3)
  • Autumn Term (The Marlows, #1)
  • A Dream of Sadler's Wells (Sadler's Wells, #1)
  • Ballet Shoes for Anna
  • The Edge of the Cloud (Flambards, #2)
  • Drina Dances in Exile (Drina, #3)
  • Claudine at St Clare's (St. Clare's, #7)
  • The Picts & the Martyrs or Not Welcome at All (Swallows and Amazons, #11)
  • Pip
  • How to Be a (Bad) Birdwatcher
  • Good Evening, Mrs Craven: The Wartime Stories of Mollie Panter-Downes
  • Stalky & Co.
  • Just Henry
"Anne Digby" is the pseudonym of a popular British children's author, best known for her fourteen-book Trebizon series, set at a large boarding school. In addition to her own Trebizon books, Digby has contributed new volumes to Enid Blyton's Naughtiest Girl series.
More about Anne Digby...
The Naughtiest Girl Helps a Friend (The Naughtiest Girl, #6) The Naughtiest Girl Keeps a Secret (The Naughtiest Girl, # 5) The Naughtiest Girl Saves the Day (The Naughtiest Girl, #7) Well Done, The Naughtiest Girl! (The Naughtiest Girl, #8) The Naughtiest Girl Wants to Win (The Naughtiest Girl, #9)