Start by marking “First Term at Trebizon (Trebizon, #1)” as Want to Read:
First Term at Trebizon (Trebizon, #1)

First Term at Trebizon (Trebizon #1)

Fresh from a London comprehensive, Rebecca Mason is plunged into life at Trebizon, the famous boarding school for girls. Lonely and anxious to prove herself, Rebecca decides to write something for the school magazine. But the piece that appears is not the one she intended and she unwittingly triggers a row which rocks the school. It's a good thing Rebecca has some new frie ...more
Published 1988 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about First Term at Trebizon, please sign up.

Mark
Aug 23, 2015 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nostalgia
Fresh from her London comprehensive, twelve-year-old Rebecca Mason wonders how she’s going to fit in at Trebizon, the famous boarding school for girls, especially with people like Elizabeth Exton (who she immediately gets off on the wrong foot with) there. Will she ever make friends? Then, unwittingly, Rebecca sparks off a row that rocks the school and she finds that her new friends - Tish Anderson and Sue Murdoch, amongst others - are all on her side. Published in 1978, I must have been aware o ...more
Robin Stevens
Feb 03, 2015 Robin Stevens rated it it was amazing
An absolute hug of a book, this is school storytelling at its warm, delightful, comforting best.
Burgundy Rose
Oct 20, 2012 Burgundy Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reread in December 2015: As cosy as ever. Love this series so much.

Reread in February 2014: I can't believe I haven't reread these last year. It's good to go back to Trebizon, it's such a comforting world. I absolutely love the school magazine details in this.

October 2012: This was so nice! I was craving a boarding school story and this met my needs beautifully. The characters are well fleshed-out for this type of novel, the friendships are really good and the plot was gripping. I really enjoyed
Andrea
Feb 14, 2012 Andrea rated it liked it
First in an apparently popular series that I'd not heard of before - boarding school stories set in the 70s (which gives them a very different tone to the much earlier ones). Short, engaging, without being urgently compelling or transformative - though no doubt it would be much more interesting to young teens.

With her parents off to work in Saudi Arabia, Rebecca is off to a boarding school for the first time ever, starting in the second year (of high school) after all the others in her year have
Grace Sargeant
Jan 09, 2017 Grace Sargeant rated it really liked it
I thought it was a really good book, written in the same style as Enid Blytons' boarding school books, such as Malory Towers.
Stella
Jan 04, 2017 Stella rated it it was amazing
New girl Rebecca Mason arrives at Trebizon, the famous boarding school, after everyone else has already made friends. Lonely and anxious to prove herself, Rebecca writes something for the school magazine, which unexpectedly triggers a row and half the school turns against her. Luckily, she discovers she has friends after all, the best friends any girl could hope for.
Emily
Dec 30, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So nostalgic!
Selma
Oct 02, 2016 Selma rated it it was amazing
The book series First Term at Trebizon is an amusing girl book by Anne Digby. The main character is Rebecca Masson she goes to boarding school. She integrated the Trebizon school in the second year which makes it hard to have friends. In the beginning, Rebecca had to adapt to boarding schools and the way of living because she had never been. Rebecca had two friends Tish and Sue who were part of the Trebizon magazine. Rebecca's dormitory and girls in her class had a name which was Juniper. She th ...more
Valerie Woods
Dec 23, 2016 Valerie Woods rated it it was amazing
Fauve

I haven't read this book but it sounds great
My mum read it when she was little
And she loved it
Anna
Mar 12, 2016 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The First Term at Trebizon is boarding school storytelling at it's best. Wonderful characters with lots of excitement and fun. A delightful adventure, in which friendship and truth shine the way.

I hadn't heard of the Trebizon series before, but am really looking forward to reading the rest ( there are fourteen altogether ) and can't wait for my eight year old daughter to discover the world of Rebecca, Tish and Sue. I think this collection of books has stood the test of time and the lack of tech
Sarah Crawford
Aug 02, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it
This is a modern version of the Angela Brazil books. Rebecca is going to a girl's school. Things don't start well for her. She has to adjust to the way things are done at the school but she does manage to make friends. Rebecca is a writer and wants to be in the school magazine but there ends up being a major problem with that when plagiarism rears its ugly head, the editor the the magazine causes major problems and Rebecca must face the possibility of being kicked out of the school.

Although ther
Angela
Dec 19, 2014 Angela rated it liked it
First Term at Trebizon, is a nice, quick read about Rebecca Mason going off to boarding school. She is joining Trebizon school as the only new 2nd year. Even though this book is geared more towards the tween/teen age group, I did enjoy it. I would recommend the book especially to younger readers. I think many can identify with Rebecca. I would have liked more details about the other students and classroom life, such as was there a story behind Debbie's attitude? When I was finished, my first tho ...more
Carolynne
Sep 16, 2008 Carolynne rated it liked it
Anne Digby is the latest in a long line of British authors of school stories. Written in the 1970's, they vary from more traditional school stories with the addition of boys, technology, married teachers, among other things.
Rebecca Mason, the main character, desires to achieve a name for herself by writing for the student literary magazine. An editor who has her own ideas of what makes a good school magazine causes Rebecca to miss her opportunity, but her friend Trish solves the problem her own
Stephanie
Aug 11, 2015 Stephanie rated it liked it
Just re-read this favorite series from my childhood. Set at a British boarding school, each term Rebecca Mason and her friends solve mysteries and deal with the challenges of growing up. Reading the books back now, they are not the most well-written, but the author does a good job of capturing the angst of those early teenage years and the boarding school setting was exotic and fascinating to me.
Kirsti
Oct 31, 2011 Kirsti rated it it was amazing
Rebecca isn't much of a character, but I can tell she is going to be. She is so wishy washy as a main character that you just know she is going to grow into one of the beautiful Sixth Former Head Girl/Prefects I love in school stories. I can't wait to read the rest, if this is the first. What have I been missing out on?
Boneist
Nov 12, 2014 Boneist rated it really liked it
I first read this as a young teenager and really enjoyed it. It was much more modern than the Enid Blyton boarding school stories that I'd been reading previously.

Upon rereading, I think it's stood the test of time admirably. Yes, it's a little simplistic, but on the whole, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Sally
Rebecca is an interesting enough character, but I never liked the Trebizon series growing up - too modern, too many boys! I preferred the old-fashioned charm of Malory Towers. However, I eventually decided to give Trebizon another go and while I still much prefer my Blytons, it's not a bad series after all.
Katie Marriott
May 21, 2014 Katie Marriott rated it it was amazing
I definitely went through a phase of being obsessed with boarding school stories and this series was one of my favourites. It's really hard to get hold now so I am always on the look out for copies as it is a series that I used to read and re-read and re-read and I would love to read it again as an adult.
Elgalla
Sep 13, 2013 Elgalla rated it really liked it
I used to love books about boarding schools when I was younger -and I supposed the reason I loved Harry Potter as much as I did was precisely that- and I've been feeling nostalgic recently. I hadn't read the Trebizon series previously and found the first book very satisfying and easy to read. It definitely had an Enid Blyton aroma but that's hardly a bad thing in my book.
Jenny
Dec 18, 2014 Jenny rated it liked it
A simple story about a shy girl entering a new boarding school as a second year. This would be good choice for any tween who struggles with confidence or worries about being the new girl. Friendship and doing the right thing prevail.
Mhairi Gowans
Mar 11, 2013 Mhairi Gowans rated it it was amazing
A delightful take on the boarding school story. All the trappings that are typical of the genre but a slightly more modern feel - its really amusing to think that this was only published 8 years after the last Chalet School. Just goes to show just how antiquated CS became in its later years.
Erykah
Blast from the past! Loved this series as a kid (it had boys and surfing and was far more modern). Discovered they're now all on Kindle so may dip back into them when I need a nostalgia kick. Perfect reading for a hungover rainy new year's day.
Laurène Poret
Sep 29, 2015 Laurène Poret rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids
Really simplistic. It was ok.

(I now know why I couldn't exactly tell when the story was set. Had no idea it was that old)
Isabel
Oct 14, 2012 Isabel rated it liked it
This is the first book in a series set at Trebizon boarding school and it introduces us to Rebecca Mason and her friends. A must read for all fans of boarding school stories.
Deborah
Mar 28, 2014 Deborah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really strong first book in the series. Good plot, great characters, and Anne Digby captures perfectly the anxieties and triumphs of girls of this age in a story that's brief, but memorable.
Roslyn
Sep 13, 2015 Roslyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this easy to read story. Loved all the characters - especially Tish! Can't wait to start the next book.
Tianne Shaw
Aug 12, 2015 Tianne Shaw rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick read

Having read other boarding school based books in the past this was the top one that was best read quickly
Deirdre
Deirdre rated it liked it
May 09, 2016
Meryl Rees
Meryl Rees rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2017
Helen McGowan
Helen McGowan rated it it was ok
Apr 02, 2016
  • The Princess of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #3)
  • End of Term (The Marlows, #4)
"Anne Digby" is the pseudonym of a popular British children's author, best known for her fourteen-book Trebizon series, set at a large boarding school. In addition to her own Trebizon books, Digby has contributed new volumes to Enid Blyton's Naughtiest Girl series.
More about Anne Digby...

Trebizon (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Second Term at Trebizon (Trebizon, #2)
  • Summer Term at Trebizon (Trebizon, #3)
  • Boy Trouble at Trebizon  (Trebizon, #4)
  • More Trouble at Trebizon (Trebizon, #5)
  • The Tennis Term at Trebizon (Trebizon, #6)
  • Summer Camp at Trebizon (Trebizon, #7)
  • Into the Fourth at Trebizon (Trebizon, #8)
  • The Hockey Term at Trebizon (Trebizon, #9)
  • Fourth Year Triumphs at Trebizon (Trebizon, #10)
  • The Ghostly Term at Trebizon (Trebizon, #11)