Start by marking “WOF: DATEABLE: ARE YOU? ARE THEY?” as Want to Read:
WOF: DATEABLE: ARE YOU? ARE THEY?

WOF: DATEABLE: ARE YOU? ARE THEY?

Passion. It's the fuel for success, for dreams, for life. But too many teens focus their energy and passion on the wrong thing-the wrong person. Dateable pulls no punches in telling teens the truth about dating while also directing their passion toward a greater purpose in life.
Teen relationships seldom last, the authors point out, so why should teens invest so much of t
Published November 24th 2004 by Thomas Nelson (first published August 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about WOF, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about WOF

Kelly Smith
Oct 31, 2013 Kelly Smith rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NOBODY! :)
Less than one star. This book makes me so angry I shake just thinking about it. It is so sexist! The book is basically written in a way meant to control women and keep them in their place. It makes me very sad that young girls read this and think they need to change themselves in order for boys to like them. They are fine how they are! Guess what? This is my score on the Dateable test haha:

The mystery is gone. You’ve probably told him everything about you so why would he want to see you again? B
Dannielle
Apr 25, 2012 Dannielle rated it did not like it
This book is a horrible way to teach teenagers about dating. The goods things are that it does promote dressing nice, respecting each other and things like that, but it tries to force certain roles on each gender. Things like:
- Girls are home-builders and therefore are always planning weddings and naming their children and dreaming of building a life together with every boy they have a crush on.
- Boys are only in it for sex and they will always lie to get want they want.
- Girls shouldn't ask guy
Erika Andrews
Jun 22, 2010 Erika Andrews rated it did not like it
I had no idea from the cover or description that this book would be religious at all, and I felt that the authors shoved their ideas down my throat. I finished it to be fair, but throughout the book the authors provided sweeping generalizations about men and women that I felt had nothing to do with me or most people I know. That said, it seemed like fair advice to a more religious, anti-feminist audience.
Heather Logan
Nov 03, 2009 Heather Logan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anybody new to dating or curious how to get it right the first time.
Recommended to Heather by: a friend
This book helped me on what to expect when dating. It put my priorities straight on what I want in a person as a partner and what my partner wants in me. I have to be whole with myself otherwise nobody will be convinced to love the parts of me that I don't love. I loved this book because it stats always put God first before anything. Dating isn't a priority its an experience whether good or bad. This book gave me the tools to make me "dateable" It gave me the confidence to have fun in it. to not ...more
Bri Williams
Nov 14, 2015 Bri Williams rated it did not like it
Coming from a teen and thinking about this book, makes me so angry holy moly. The whole thing is pretty much against all guys and is so blunt and harsh and unsupportive. "Girls the way boys treat you is because of the way you're dressed. If you're dressed easy, you'll be treated easy" Somehow blaming sexual harassment on the girls, like guys can't control themselves?! Another part says "oh he's not a good guy if he has tattoos, piercings, shy or IS ARTISTIC?!?! This book is so so judgmental and ...more
Adrienne
Aug 26, 2014 Adrienne rated it did not like it
This book is terrible! I mean telling young girls that no relationship they have with a guy is going to last is awful! You should be teaching girls to love and follow Christ and wait for a guy that God wants in their life and one that is right for their life. Not all guys are kind and nice because they want to get physical. Yes many non believer guys are that way but not all of them especially not all men of God. Some guys are kind and nice because they think highly of you and they love and hono ...more
Annika
May 01, 2011 Annika rated it really liked it
What I appreciate most about this book is the male author's keepin-it-real attitude throughout. Some of it is "in your face", but it needs to be said. Too many books aimed at young ladies are written BY females who either forgot, don't get it, aren't realistic, or just need an extra (male) voice to back them up. Husband/Wife teams sometimes have me shaking my head, sometimes they don't seem like they "get it", and they'd rather just back each other up, instead of possibly, maybe, admitting that ...more
Rachel
Dec 29, 2013 Rachel rated it it was ok
A Christmas present from my aunt. There appears to be a paradigm shift in the type of books she will be giving myself and my cousins in the foreseeable future.

Core values preached in the book are Christian-approved, advocating abstinence and purity. The contents of the book is filled with mostly common sense stuff about dating and particularly useful for hormonal teenagers between ages 13 and 18, who briefly lack aforementioned common sense. I actually do kind of wish I'd read this when I was 15
Jen
Oct 16, 2011 Jen rated it liked it
Some good advice about dating, some sexist. My daughter is reading it with her church group so I wanted to see what was what. I like the emphasis on young women spending time developing their talents/gifts while they are young and unencumbered and not mooning about/obsessing over boys since these relationships are so fleeting anyway. However number one, there should be some sensitivity to the fact that it doesn't FEEL fleeting, and, they do portray young men quite negatively and to the point my ...more
Bryn
Oct 27, 2008 Bryn rated it it was ok
Lookado has some good ideas but next time he needs to back it up with scripture. As it stands Dateable is just some dating advice and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone without building their own conclusions based on scripture. There are good points but nothing revolutionary.

instead of reading this i would recommend
wild at heart or
sex God
Aubrielle
Apr 01, 2008 Aubrielle rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books ever. It is entertaining as well as true. It's not just advice on dating. It also gives advice on being all that God wants you to be and setting goals and limitations for yourself. Great Book!
Cayla
Sep 17, 2008 Cayla rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All teens
Very good. I highly reccomend it. Everything in it has proved to be true, and it gives you an inside look on dating and the opposite sex. Shows exactly how to be "Dateable"
Very very good.
Sara Borsari
Jan 30, 2008 Sara Borsari rated it liked it
Shelves: christian-lit
I read this with one of my high school girls in the youth group...It's for teenagers but the principles work for all ages.
Pam
Jan 30, 2008 Pam rated it it was amazing
A fresh approach to adolescent sexuality. We just used it as the basis for a book study with our youth at church.
A totally awesome book - I'd recommend to every teenager. It has some sound advice.
Ellen
Aug 07, 2007 Ellen rated it it was ok
It's an okay book. It's good for girls who believe they need a man to survive.
Shanna
May 12, 2012 Shanna rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
I rated this one star when I *was* a christian. It's that bad.
Sean Goh
Apr 22, 2016 Sean Goh rated it did not like it
*Caveat: Book is aimed at clueless teens. Read it with that mindset accordingly.*

Ugh. Where do I start? The assertion that every teenage relationship will end in tears because in your teens you don't know what you want? The assumption that EVERY SINGLE GUY just wants sex and will lie and say whatever to get it? That girls are all unrealistic daydreamers who believe in the power of love to change their boyfriend into Mr Right?

There are some salvageable bits of advice: But with all advice, it's si
Lindsey Jane
May 14, 2007 Lindsey Jane rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who haven't dated much, if at all
The points made were usually pretty good, but the attitude was a little too hip for me. I felt like...come on, talk to me like an adult...which doesn't really make sense for the book because I think it was written towards the teen audience, not the twenty-something audience.

The chapter for girls called "shut up and be mysterious" proved to be of interest to me, though. I felt like I took some things away from that that I can remember when the situation calls for it.

It was a quick read...might h
Katie
Jun 26, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing
This was a book written by two Christians, one male and one female, on how to be dateable, hence the title. It gives very helpful insights into the teenage psyche when it comes to dealing with the opposite sex.

Since the authors are Christian, what they said follow my standards almost exactly, and they have a sense of humor, too, so it was fun to read. I only wish that I had this book back when I was fifteen and really needed it! I do recommend it to any other 15-year-old, male or female. It will
Veronica
Dec 18, 2012 Veronica rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Single People
Recommended to Veronica by: Laurie Cosgrove
Shelves: yeah-i-read-that
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE interactive books like this. It had quizes and chapters dedicated to girls and boys. But I would definitely read this when you're single. It's kinda hard to swallow when you're dating someone. But it's a very good book and it gives you a lot of tips to make you...well more datable. And not tips on makeup or stupid stuff like that. This book is all about working on your heart and preparing you for a good and honest relationship the way God wanted relationships to be.
Karla
Nov 29, 2010 Karla rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teen Boys and Girls
Recommended to Karla by: Bookstore owner
I bought this book for my teen daughter and pre-read it before giving it to her. This book had everything I wish I had known before I started dating! I could not have been happier with it. It is has a hip style and layout and was an easy and interesting read. I discussed each chapter with my daughter after she read them. She also agreed that it was an informative book and even thought about passing it on to one of her friends who was having more issues with dating.
Melanie Fair
Ugh. This is why people hate Christians and Christian writing. This book had the biggest agenda I've ever seen. I thought I'd learn something new about dating, but no, it was just preaching abstinence. And the actual good advice was obscured by this psuedo-tough-love writing style. Which makes it seem even more preachy.
And the doodles on all the pages? Not cute, just distracting and annoying.
Propaganda!!!
Chelsey
Jul 25, 2009 Chelsey rated it liked it
This book made me NOT want to date anyone. I think the people who wrote this book we're saying that they were right all the time about certain things that they didn't give you everything you wanted to know.
I don't know though. I don't really date. Haven't been asked so maybe it'll make more sense when I start to date.
Carolyn
Aug 27, 2007 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all moms of teenagers
This book is written from a guy/girl point of view and deals with relationships between teenagers and how the opposite sex view each other. Great book to leave in the bathroom for your teenager to read--definitely written on their level with practical advice for all kinds of teen dating situations.
PickyReader
Apr 07, 2014 PickyReader marked it as did-not-finish
When you look at this book's title, you think that "Dateable :Are You? Are They?" will inform you what good traits you should develop to be dateable.

It's an odd book, because the first two chapters are directed to people who are actually dating. It also says that dating in the teenage years is pointless because it will not last. Now, this may be true but it's not what I was looking for in reading this book.

I don't think I would recommend this book because it is incredibly negative about many thi
Chloé
Jun 03, 2016 Chloé rated it liked it
Actual Rating: 2.5 - 3 Stars

I thought I would love this book. After all, I thoroughly love all the other Harley DiMarco books I've read. However, parts of this book made me sincerely angry at how stereotypical and undermining they were towards both genders. I couldn't believe what I was reading at some points. That being said, I didn't gain much from the first half of the book. The second half did get a bit better, and I even began to agree with the authors, but it was information that you could
Courtney
Oct 13, 2011 Courtney rated it did not like it
This book is rediculous. I found little of it valuable. It said it's harshness was the truth; I thought it to be degrading. I would not recommend.
Anthony Quattrochi
Jun 08, 2014 Anthony Quattrochi rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Sexists and/or Evangelicals
Shockingly awful. I was so astounded by the content of this book. I am a teenage guy, so this book is pretty much geared toward someone my age but it is basically some strange religious and sexist propaganda. The book basically told women to stay in their place and had so much overt Christianity, I did NOT pick up on this from the title or the back page and I guess I should have investigated it more deeply before buying it. If I had a daughter I would be ashamed to let her read this book which m ...more
A.
Nov 20, 2011 A. rated it did not like it
I am engaged to be married, so I think I can pass this book.
  • The Truth About Guys
  • Marriable: Taking the Desperate Out of Dating
  • For Young Women Only: What You Need to Know About How Guys Think
  • Before You Meet Prince Charming: A Guide to Radiant Purity
  • And the Bride Wore White: Seven Secrets to Sexual Purity
  • From the Secret Place in My Heart
  • Every Young Woman's Battle: Guarding Your Mind, Heart, and Body in a Sex-Saturated World
  • Your Money Map: A Proven 7-Step Guide to True Financial Freedom
  • Because of You (Because of You, #1)
  • Jesus Freaks: Stories of Revolutionaries Who Changed Their World: Fearing God, Not Man
  • The Case for Christ, Youth Edition: A Journalist's Personal Investigation of the Evidence of Jesus
  • The Prayer of Jabez for Teens (Breakthrough Series)
  • What to Do Until Love Finds You: The Bestselling Guide to Preparing Yourself for Your Perfect Mate
  • The Divine Dance: If the World Is Your Stage, Who Are You Performing For?
  • Wait for Me: Rediscovering the Joy of Purity in Romance
  • The Mackenzie Legacy (The Athena Effect #2)
  • Taken  (Left Behind: The Kids, #1-4)
  • twentysomething: Surviving and Thriving in the Real World