Dateable: Are You? Are They?

Dateable: Are You? Are They?

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  700 ratings  ·  80 reviews
Passion. It's the fuel for success, for dreams, for life. But too many teens focus their energy and passion on the wrong thing-the wrong person. Dateable pulls no punches in telling teens the truth about dating while also directing their passion toward a greater purpose in life.
Teen relationships seldom last, the authors point out, so why should teens invest so much of t...more
Published August 1st 2003 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published August 1st 2002)

Dannielle Kaye Laws
This book is a horrible way to teach teenagers about dating. The goods things are that it does promote dressing nice, respecting each other and things like that, but it tries to force certain roles on each gender. Things like:
- Girls are home-builders and therefore are always planning weddings and naming their children and dreaming of building a life together with every boy they have a crush on.
- Boys are only in it for sex and they will always lie to get want they want.
- Girls shouldn't ask guy...more
Kelly Smith
Oct 31, 2013 Kelly Smith rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: NOBODY! :)
Less than one star. This book makes me so angry I shake just thinking about it. It is so sexist! The book is basically written in a way meant to control women and keep them in their place. It makes me very sad that young girls read this and think they need to change themselves in order for boys to like them. They are fine how they are! Guess what? This is my score on the Dateable test haha:

The mystery is gone. You’ve probably told him everything about you so why would he want to see you again? B...more
Erika Andrews
I had no idea from the cover or description that this book would be religious at all, and I felt that the authors shoved their ideas down my throat. I finished it to be fair, but throughout the book the authors provided sweeping generalizations about men and women that I felt had nothing to do with me or most people I know. That said, it seemed like fair advice to a more religious, anti-feminist audience.
Heather Logan
Nov 03, 2009 Heather Logan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anybody new to dating or curious how to get it right the first time.
Recommended to Heather by: a friend
This book helped me on what to expect when dating. It put my priorities straight on what I want in a person as a partner and what my partner wants in me. I have to be whole with myself otherwise nobody will be convinced to love the parts of me that I don't love. I loved this book because it stats always put God first before anything. Dating isn't a priority its an experience whether good or bad. This book gave me the tools to make me "dateable" It gave me the confidence to have fun in it. to not...more
Jen
Some good advice about dating, some sexist. My daughter is reading it with her church group so I wanted to see what was what. I like the emphasis on young women spending time developing their talents/gifts while they are young and unencumbered and not mooning about/obsessing over boys since these relationships are so fleeting anyway. However number one, there should be some sensitivity to the fact that it doesn't FEEL fleeting, and, they do portray young men quite negatively and to the point my...more
Aubrielle
This is one of my favorite books ever. It is entertaining as well as true. It's not just advice on dating. It also gives advice on being all that God wants you to be and setting goals and limitations for yourself. Great Book!
Cayla
Sep 17, 2008 Cayla rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All teens
Very good. I highly reccomend it. Everything in it has proved to be true, and it gives you an inside look on dating and the opposite sex. Shows exactly how to be "Dateable"
Very very good.
Sara Borsari
I read this with one of my high school girls in the youth group...It's for teenagers but the principles work for all ages.
Pam
A fresh approach to adolescent sexuality. We just used it as the basis for a book study with our youth at church.
Rachel
A Christmas present from my aunt. There appears to be a paradigm shift in the type of books she will be giving myself and my cousins in the foreseeable future.

Core values preached in the book are Christian-approved, advocating abstinence and purity. The contents of the book is filled with mostly common sense stuff about dating and particularly useful for hormonal teenagers between ages 13 and 18, who briefly lack aforementioned common sense. I actually do kind of wish I'd read this when I was 15...more
Snorkle
A totally awesome book - I'd recommend to every teenager. It has some sound advice.
Ellen
It's an okay book. It's good for girls who believe they need a man to survive.
Annika
What I appreciate most about this book is the male author's keepin-it-real attitude throughout. Some of it is "in your face", but it needs to be said. Too many books aimed at young ladies are written BY females who either forgot, don't get it, aren't realistic, or just need an extra (male) voice to back them up. Husband/Wife teams sometimes have me shaking my head, sometimes they don't seem like they "get it", and they'd rather just back each other up, instead of possibly, maybe, admitting that...more
Bryn
Lookado has some good ideas but next time he needs to back it up with scripture. As it stands Dateable is just some dating advice and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone without building their own conclusions based on scripture. There are good points but nothing revolutionary.

instead of reading this i would recommend
wild at heart or
sex God
Katie
This was a book written by two Christians, one male and one female, on how to be dateable, hence the title. It gives very helpful insights into the teenage psyche when it comes to dealing with the opposite sex.

Since the authors are Christian, what they said follow my standards almost exactly, and they have a sense of humor, too, so it was fun to read. I only wish that I had this book back when I was fifteen and really needed it! I do recommend it to any other 15-year-old, male or female. It will...more
Veronica
Dec 18, 2012 Veronica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Single People
Recommended to Veronica by: Laurie Cosgrove
Shelves: yeah-i-read-that
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE interactive books like this. It had quizes and chapters dedicated to girls and boys. But I would definitely read this when you're single. It's kinda hard to swallow when you're dating someone. But it's a very good book and it gives you a lot of tips to make you...well more datable. And not tips on makeup or stupid stuff like that. This book is all about working on your heart and preparing you for a good and honest relationship the way God wanted relationships to be.
Karla
Nov 29, 2010 Karla rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teen Boys and Girls
Recommended to Karla by: Bookstore owner
I bought this book for my teen daughter and pre-read it before giving it to her. This book had everything I wish I had known before I started dating! I could not have been happier with it. It is has a hip style and layout and was an easy and interesting read. I discussed each chapter with my daughter after she read them. She also agreed that it was an informative book and even thought about passing it on to one of her friends who was having more issues with dating.
Melanie Fair
Ugh. This is why people hate Christians and Christian writing. This book had the biggest agenda I've ever seen. I thought I'd learn something new about dating, but no, it was just preaching abstinence. And the actual good advice was obscured by this psuedo-tough-love writing style. Which makes it seem even more preachy.
And the doodles on all the pages? Not cute, just distracting and annoying.
Propaganda!!!
Chelsey
This book made me NOT want to date anyone. I think the people who wrote this book we're saying that they were right all the time about certain things that they didn't give you everything you wanted to know.
I don't know though. I don't really date. Haven't been asked so maybe it'll make more sense when I start to date.
Carolyn
Aug 27, 2007 Carolyn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all moms of teenagers
This book is written from a guy/girl point of view and deals with relationships between teenagers and how the opposite sex view each other. Great book to leave in the bathroom for your teenager to read--definitely written on their level with practical advice for all kinds of teen dating situations.
PickyReader
Apr 07, 2014 PickyReader marked it as did-not-finish
When you look at this book's title, you think that "Dateable :Are You? Are They?" will inform you what good traits you should develop to be dateable.

It's an odd book, because the first two chapters are directed to people who are actually dating. It also says that dating in the teenage years is pointless because it will not last. Now, this may be true but it's not what I was looking for in reading this book.

I don't think I would recommend this book because it is incredibly negative about many thi...more
Courtney
This book is rediculous. I found little of it valuable. It said it's harshness was the truth; I thought it to be degrading. I would not recommend.
Anthony Quattrochi
Jun 08, 2014 Anthony Quattrochi rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sexists and/or Evangelicals
Shockingly awful. I was so astounded by the content of this book. I am a teenage guy, so this book is pretty much geared toward someone my age but it is basically some strange religious and sexist propaganda. The book basically told women to stay in their place and had so much overt Christianity, I did NOT pick up on this from the title or the back page and I guess I should have investigated it more deeply before buying it. If I had a daughter I would be ashamed to let her read this book which m...more
stars
I am engaged to be married, so I think I can pass this book.
Shanna
May 12, 2012 Shanna rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
I rated this one star when I *was* a christian. It's that bad.
Ashli
I wanted to love it. I really did because I had such high expectations. It had potential. I like the idea of this book and the meaning of dateable. There were just some issues I had with it. I did like some of their points.

Examples:
"If what you're showing ain't on the menu, keep it covered up."

and

"A guy will have a tendency to treat you like you are dressed. If you're dressed like a flesh buffet, don't be surprised when he treats you like a piece of meat"

It's just that this book was not only aim...more
Peyton Hillis
well... it all started with my girlfriend telling me about a book she had bought and she thought i should read. so i waited on what seemed like forever, then one night she held it out.takeing this hunk of paper i never really wanted. im not much of a reader so i just wanted to get the basic idea, but i couldnt let myself do that to her... so i started in on this book called "dateable"
it started out rough, telling me that im gonna have to realise that no matter what kind of relationship im in th...more
Michelle
Overall, despite a few good things, I’m thoroughly unimpressed with this book. A wise and discerning teenager could find the wheat and discard the chaff, but a teenager that wise and discerning wouldn’t need the book in the first place. It bills itself as being a Christian book, but doesn’t seem to be written from a solidly Biblical worldview; rather from a moralistic worldview with some references to God and a few misapplied scripture verses thrown in.

My review came in at over 2,000 words, so...more
Lindsey Jane
May 14, 2007 Lindsey Jane rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who haven't dated much, if at all
The points made were usually pretty good, but the attitude was a little too hip for me. I felt like...come on, talk to me like an adult...which doesn't really make sense for the book because I think it was written towards the teen audience, not the twenty-something audience.

The chapter for girls called "shut up and be mysterious" proved to be of interest to me, though. I felt like I took some things away from that that I can remember when the situation calls for it.

It was a quick read...might h...more
Alex
Not quite what I expected it would be. I think it's aimed for a younger crowd, like middle school to high school age. Still, towards the end I learned some very applicable things about what being a Christian man or woman means, which was really helpful. Not a very long read at all, I read it in an afternoon. I'd recommend any high school student interested in dating to read it, I think it would help with a lot of problems facing that age group today. Not really for the college student, but still...more
  • The Truth about Guys: One Guy Reveals What Every Girl Should Know
  • For Young Women Only: What You Need to Know about How Guys Think
  • And the Bride Wore White: Seven Secrets to Sexual Purity
  • Before You Meet Prince Charming: A Guide to Radiant Purity
  • Seeking Philbert Woodbead (Fairweather Sisters, #2)
  • The Action Bible: God's Redemptive Story
  • The Mackenzie Legacy (The Athena Effect #2)
  • From the Secret Place in My Heart
  • Every Young Woman's Battle: Guarding Your Mind, Heart, and Body in a Sex-Saturated World (The Every Man Series)
  • Set-Apart Femininity: God's Sacred Intent for Every Young Woman
  • Lies Young Women Believe Companion Guide: And the Truth that Sets Them Free
  • Who Was Amelia Earhart?
  • Beautiful in God's Eyes
  • The Case for Christ, Youth Edition: A Journalist's Personal Investigation of the Evidence of Jesus
  • Boundaries in Dating
  • Forty Days (Neima's Ark, #1)
  • Start Here: Doing Hard Things Right Where You Are
  • Preparing To Be a Help Meet
97: Random Thoughts About Life, Love, and Relationships The Dateable Rules: A Guide to the Sexes Chat Room Chatter: The Buzz on Prom Dates, Superheroes & the Universe at Large The Dirt on Sex: A Dateable Book (Dirt, The) The Dirt on Drugs: A Dateable Book (Dirt Series)