Start by marking “The Great War and the Shaping of the 20th Century” as Want to Read:
The Great War and the Shaping of the 20th Century

The Great War and the Shaping of the 20th Century

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  61 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
The World War of 1914-1918, the Great War, was the first of the man-made disasters of the twentieth century. In many ways it was without precedent. Never had the battlefield been so vast, whether in the trenches, in the sky, or on and in the seas. Never had a war reached so deeply into the lives of people so far away from the battlefield. The shock waves generated by this ...more
Published September 1996 by Penguin Group (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Great War and the Shaping of the 20th Century, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great War and the Shaping of the 20th Century

Frederick Bingham
Jan 01, 2012 Frederick Bingham rated it really liked it
A book about World War I, its origin and aftermath. The book contains lots of pictures, many gory and gruesome. It has quotes from leaders and foot soldiers, intellectuals and historians of the time. It also discusses the Russian revolution and the conference and treaty of Versailles. World War I was gory, brutal and pointless, and set the inevitable stage for Hitler and WWII. As much as I have read about it, I still do not understand why it was fought. Many people at the time thought the same w ...more
Mikey B.
Jan 06, 2013 Mikey B. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pictures, world-war-i
A well presented history of World War I that recounts events not only of the era, but of future consequences – as the sub-title of the book exhorts the “Great War” led to more cataclysms in the twentieth century. There are many personalities discussed – such as Kathe Kollwitz, Arthur Conan Doyle and Siegfried Sassoon. It gives the book a strong emotional and intimate aspect. The tragedy of Gallipoli and the Eastern front are also reviewed. The accompanying pictures are intense and effective.

This
Hom Sack
Nov 23, 2014 Hom Sack rated it it was amazing
What a compelling account. No wonder WW-II happened. It seems inevitable as a result of WW-I.
Rick Brindle
Nov 21, 2013 Rick Brindle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, military
I read this book after watching the excellent BBC series. Both were very good. This book is a vast sweeping account of world war one, talking about the build up and aftermath, and its place in context of the rest of the 20th century. It also deals with the politics, the seeds sown afterwards, and also the men who fought it. If there is one book to read as an all in introduction to everything great war, this is it.
Kelli
May 22, 2008 Kelli rated it really liked it
I got this book as a companion to the PBS documentary of the same name that aired over ten years ago. I have always been interested in European history from about 1870 through World War 2. I loved the documentary and this book has a lot of rarely seen photographs with commentary and articles by noted historians.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Bill Baar
Bill Baar marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Kim I. Gale
Kim I. Gale marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Sydney
Sydney marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
James Taylor
James Taylor rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2015
Michael B. Castor
Michael B. Castor rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Trevor
Trevor added it
Aug 03, 2015
Bryoniadioica
Bryoniadioica rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2015
Doug
Doug added it
Jul 08, 2015
Booksearcher
Booksearcher marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Hakon
Hakon marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Stela
Stela marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Edie
Edie rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2015
R.B. Himes
R.B. Himes rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2015
Lynn
Lynn rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Bob Lundie
Bob Lundie rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2015
Antonio
Antonio marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Michelle Tackabery
Michelle Tackabery rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2014
Kathy Jordan
Kathy Jordan rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2014
Chuck
Chuck rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2014
Julia Medici
Julia Medici marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Mark Bilton
Mark Bilton marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014