Start by marking “Funeral Food (Tory Bauer Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Funeral Food (Tory Bauer Mystery, #1)

Funeral Food (Tory Bauer Mystery #1)

Delphi, South Dakota is a dusty little prairie town, the kind people drive through on their way to bigger cities. But as Tory Bauer, middle-aged, widowed, overweight, cranky waitress might say, “Everything that happens in big towns, happens here too. We just don’t look as good naked.”

In Funeral Food, the first of six mysteries featuring the crew at the Delphi Café, Tory wo
Published June 13th 2011 (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Funeral Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Funeral Food

Lynn
Sep 16, 2016 Lynn rated it really liked it
Funeral Food is the first book in a six book series. I feel like I found a gem of a new series to read. The reason why are characters, the location and the humor. Tory Bauer is a waitress at the café in the small town. She is over 40, overweight and a recent widow. She lives with a co-worker and the co-worker son in a trailer at the edge of town. The POV is given by Tory. She is very witty.

Before I mention the other characters, I want to write about Delphi South Dakota. Delphi is where the book
Michelle
Jul 16, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story, grabbed me from the start. The characters bring it to life, bring the town to life. They are somewhat odd, very flawed, and real. The murder, doesn't happen until half way into the book. But that's ok. Because we are so entwined in the characters lives, we don't notice the passage of the pages. At least I didn't. You feel the heat and smell the dust. And who did it? Well, I'll let you find that out for yourself. But I will say, I did not really see that coming. Only in my head, jokin ...more
Stefanie
Aug 05, 2008 Stefanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone from good ole SoDak and if you would enjoy a light hearted mystery.
I rated this 4 stars not for literary excellence, but rather for entertainment. I thought that this series was great fun and I love the idea that it is set in SoDak. I always say that being from SoDak is like being part of an elite club (you know the 6 degrees of separation that you can do with anyone from there) and it is fun to see it written about in a book.
Zora
May 11, 2012 Zora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An under-rated cozy series (cozy without being vanilla or twee) with humor and a terrific sense of place.
Trisha
Jun 16, 2014 Trisha rated it it was ok
A cozy cute little mystery. I thought the town was the cute, the MC was funny and the drama was interesting at times.

but wow, it took a long time to muddle through the drama. I know small town is small town, but this first book introduces you to THE WHOLE TOWN. For the first 75 pages or so....I was getting bored. I'd been introduced to so many characters (and their respective sex life - yikes!) that I was lost and confused.

When the mystery finally happened, the book flew but I still wasn't terr
Cait
Jan 12, 2015 Cait rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I so, SO enjoyed this book. I have a couple complaints but they are very small in the scheme of things. Cozy mysteries are always hit and miss with me, they're either totally awesome, or I can't get through the first chapter. I knew right away that this was going to be one of the awesome ones. The setting and side characters are so perfectly done and add a lot of humor and richness to the story. Tory herself is incredibly likable (which I'm finding to be rare in these types of books, a likable h ...more
Connie N.
An interesting cozy mystery that hit me with a total surprise at the end. The murderer was an interesting choice and not necessarily a welcome one. I really loved that the book was set in South Dakota, with lots of references to live there. The small town of Delphi was filled with fascinating and quirky characters. Our heroine, Tory Bauer, is a down-to-earth, regular small town native. Other characters included Del Bauer (her cousin and roommate), Presley (Del's son), Nick (Tory's friend), Stu ( ...more
Rachel
This was quite an entertaining cozy mystery with several hilarious characters. That being said, it was written decently for its genre but certainly isn't of a high literary quality. However, I still would like to read more of this series.
Lisa
Aug 13, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Living in the northern of the Dakotas, I appreciated the vernacular and setting of the book in a small-town in South Dakota. I like the main character, Tory, and little twists and turns of the book. This would be considered Prairie Noir, rather than a cozy mystery, as some have coined it, as there are some dark moments and a bit more sex than my mother felt comfortable with. :-) The ending was a bit less than satisfying for me, but with this being just the first book ...more
Nora aka Diva
Starts out a little slow but over all a decent read. Intetesting characters, good plot.
Georgiann Hennelly
An interesting cozy mystery with fascinating and Quirky characters. Charles Winston is a Mormon Missionary he is determined to save the souls at the Diner. Del is a waitress who flirts with everyone and she is after Charles Winston. She doesn't seem concerned about how her boyfriend with a dangerous short temper will react. He is also the County deputy. So when Tory finds Charles Winston's Body stuffed in the mop closet and she finds a tape recording of his murder she decides it's up to her to s ...more
Jean Brazil
Mar 14, 2014 Jean Brazil rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up, mystery
Just couldn't get into this.
Pattie Tierney
Apr 27, 2011 Pattie Tierney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A friend sent me this book in a goodie box. I didn't know the title or author, but really enjoyed the book. It was very different from most mysteries in that it read like a novel for the first third of the story. It brought Fannie Flagg and her wonderful Southern tales to mind. The mystery was one I thought I'd solved only to be shocked at the end. I recommend this book and the author, I'll be reading more by Taylor.
Sam
May 08, 2008 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The story in this mystery novel has very little to do with food, which was disappointing. The lead character, Tory, is believable and fallible in unique ways. The setting of the novel--North Dakota (I think)--also was a plus. I get tired of reading about California, so many mysteries take place there. Oh, and a Mormon missionary is the victim, which is unusual.
Sue
Dec 24, 2015 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first in a series so most of it is setting the scene in a small town in South Dakota. I got a bit bored with all the people and nothing happened so left it a while. Then it got better! Things became clearer and there was a really good picture of the town and its inhabitants. Not somewhere I would want to live!
Suzze Tiernan
Oct 16, 2011 Suzze Tiernan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook
It was nice to get back to Delphi and have a good visit with Tory. I originally read this many years ago, and loved the whole series. Now that they are available as ebooks, I plan on revisiting the rest of them!
Meg Weaver
Sep 01, 2012 Meg Weaver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved loved loved this series!!! I want more!! The characters are easy to relate to and very entertaining.
Patricia
Sep 28, 2011 Patricia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook
This was an easy-going murder mystery. Some of the characters were a little weird, but it was an ok read.
Helen
Nov 25, 2013 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicely engaging plot and interesting characters. Will definitely be reading more in the series.
Kayleen
Aug 31, 2009 Kayleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Avon did a PC clean up on the hilarious first novel. The book is not better for the changes.
Cranbery
Sep 27, 2008 Cranbery rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
Recommended to Cranbery by: No one
First in what I think will be a great mystery series!
Susan
Jan 13, 2013 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This was an okay book. A little to messy for my taste.
Elizabeth
Aug 28, 2013 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story and entertaining characters.
Kayleen
Aug 31, 2009 Kayleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Taylor really gets that small town feel.
LORI CASWELL
Jun 25, 2012 LORI CASWELL rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
Just For Fun Read - June 2012
Shirley Worley
Shirley Worley marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Rita Mcallister davidson
Rita Mcallister davidson marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Anastasia
Anastasia marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Heather Koehn
Heather Koehn marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Ruth Kevghas
Ruth Kevghas marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
  • Sympathy for the Devil (Madeline Bean, #1)
  • Death of a Kitchen Diva (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #1)
  • The Butter Did It (Chas Wheatley, #1)
  • A Brisket, a Casket (A Deadly Deli Mystery, #1)
  • Do or Diner (A Comfort Food Mystery, #1)
  • Broccoli and Other Tales of Food and Love
  • For Better, for Murder
  • Something's Cooking (Angie Amalfi, #1)
  • The Tooth of Time (Maxie and Stretch, #2)
  • You Cannoli Die Once (Italian Restaurant Mystery, #1)
  • Trap Door (Home Repair is Homicide, #10)
  • Kneading to Die (Pawsitively Organic Mystery #1)
  • A Spoonful of Murder (Soup Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Bird Brained (Rachel Porter, #3)
  • An Appetite for Murder (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #1)
  • Chocolate Can Kill (Emily Harris Mystery, #1)
  • Cupcakes, Lies, and Dead Guys (Annie Graceland Mystery, #1)
  • Southern Fried
Kathleen Taylor is a freelance knitwear designer and a prolific writer. She is the author of the popular book Knit One, Felt Too, and her knitting designs have appeared in more than 50 different magazines. She lives in Redfield, South Dakota.

Note: There is more than one author on Goodreads with this name. This profile is for Kathleen^Taylor.
More about Kathleen Taylor...

Tory Bauer Mystery (6 books)
  • Sex and Salmonella (Tory Bauer Mystery #2)
  • Hotel South Dakota (Tory Bauer Mystery #3)
  • Mourning Shift (Tory Bauer Mystery #4)
  • Cold Front (Tory Bauer Mystery #5)
  • Foreign Body (Tory Bauer Mystery #6)