Start by marking “Funeral Food (Tory Bauer Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Funeral Food (Tory Bauer Mystery, #1)

Funeral Food (Tory Bauer Mystery #1)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Delphi, South Dakota is a dusty little prairie town, the kind people drive through on their way to bigger cities. But as Tory Bauer, middle-aged, widowed, overweight, cranky waitress might say, “Everything that happens in big towns, happens here too. We just don’t look as good naked.”

In Funeral Food, the first of six mysteries featuring the crew at the Delphi Café, Tory wo
Published June 13th 2011 (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Funeral Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Funeral Food

Michelle
This story, grabbed me from the start. The characters bring it to life, bring the town to life. They are somewhat odd, very flawed, and real. The murder, doesn't happen until half way into the book. But that's ok. Because we are so entwined in the characters lives, we don't notice the passage of the pages. At least I didn't. You feel the heat and smell the dust. And who did it? Well, I'll let you find that out for yourself. But I will say, I did not really see that coming. Only in my head, jokin ...more
Stefanie
Aug 05, 2008 Stefanie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone from good ole SoDak and if you would enjoy a light hearted mystery.
I rated this 4 stars not for literary excellence, but rather for entertainment. I thought that this series was great fun and I love the idea that it is set in SoDak. I always say that being from SoDak is like being part of an elite club (you know the 6 degrees of separation that you can do with anyone from there) and it is fun to see it written about in a book.
Trisha
A cozy cute little mystery. I thought the town was the cute, the MC was funny and the drama was interesting at times.

but wow, it took a long time to muddle through the drama. I know small town is small town, but this first book introduces you to THE WHOLE TOWN. For the first 75 pages or so....I was getting bored. I'd been introduced to so many characters (and their respective sex life - yikes!) that I was lost and confused.

When the mystery finally happened, the book flew but I still wasn't terr
Cait
I so, SO enjoyed this book. I have a couple complaints but they are very small in the scheme of things. Cozy mysteries are always hit and miss with me, they're either totally awesome, or I can't get through the first chapter. I knew right away that this was going to be one of the awesome ones. The setting and side characters are so perfectly done and add a lot of humor and richness to the story. Tory herself is incredibly likable (which I'm finding to be rare in these types of books, a likable h ...more
Connie N.
An interesting cozy mystery that hit me with a total surprise at the end. The murderer was an interesting choice and not necessarily a welcome one. I really loved that the book was set in South Dakota, with lots of references to live there. The small town of Delphi was filled with fascinating and quirky characters. Our heroine, Tory Bauer, is a down-to-earth, regular small town native. Other characters included Del Bauer (her cousin and roommate), Presley (Del's son), Nick (Tory's friend), Stu ( ...more
Nora aka Diva
Starts out a little slow but over all a decent read. Intetesting characters, good plot.
Jean Brazil
Just couldn't get into this.
Pattie Tierney
A friend sent me this book in a goodie box. I didn't know the title or author, but really enjoyed the book. It was very different from most mysteries in that it read like a novel for the first third of the story. It brought Fannie Flagg and her wonderful Southern tales to mind. The mystery was one I thought I'd solved only to be shocked at the end. I recommend this book and the author, I'll be reading more by Taylor.
Sam
The story in this mystery novel has very little to do with food, which was disappointing. The lead character, Tory, is believable and fallible in unique ways. The setting of the novel--North Dakota (I think)--also was a plus. I get tired of reading about California, so many mysteries take place there. Oh, and a Mormon missionary is the victim, which is unusual.
Suzze Tiernan
It was nice to get back to Delphi and have a good visit with Tory. I originally read this many years ago, and loved the whole series. Now that they are available as ebooks, I plan on revisiting the rest of them!
Zora
An under-rated cozy series (cozy without being vanilla or twee) with humor and a terrific sense of place.
Meg Weaver
Loved loved loved this series!!! I want more!! The characters are easy to relate to and very entertaining.
Patricia
This was an easy-going murder mystery. Some of the characters were a little weird, but it was an ok read.
Helen
Nicely engaging plot and interesting characters. Will definitely be reading more in the series.
Kayleen
Avon did a PC clean up on the hilarious first novel. The book is not better for the changes.
Cranbery
Sep 27, 2008 Cranbery rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
Recommended to Cranbery by: No one
First in what I think will be a great mystery series!
Susan
This was an okay book. A little to messy for my taste.
Elizabeth
Interesting story and entertaining characters.
Kayleen
Taylor really gets that small town feel.
LORI CASWELL
Just For Fun Read - June 2012
Karin
Karin added it
Aug 17, 2015
Kathy Deppe
Kathy Deppe marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Kristine Florentz
Kristine Florentz marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Angelia Valentine
Angelia Valentine marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Marloes
Marloes marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
  • Sympathy for the Devil (Madeline Bean, #1)
  • You Cannoli Die Once (Italian Restaurant Mystery, #1)
  • Something's Cooking (Angie Amalfi, #1)
  • Do or Diner (A Comfort Food Mystery, #1)
  • A Spoonful of Murder (Soup Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Death of a Kitchen Diva (A Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #1)
  • A Brisket, a Casket (A Deadly Deli Mystery, #1)
  • Broccoli and Other Tales of Food and Love
  • Feta Attraction (Greek to Me Mystery #1)
  • Kneading to Die (Pawsitively Organic Mystery #1)
  • An Appetite for Murder (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #1)
  • First-Degree Fudge (A Fudge Shop Mystery #1)
  • Trap Door (Home Repair is Homicide, #10)
  • The Butter Did It (Chas Wheatley, #1)
  • Cupcakes, Lies, and Dead Guys (Annie Graceland Mystery, #1)
  • Cake on a Hot Tin Roof (A Piece of Cake Mystery #2)
  • For Better, For Murder
  • Southern Fried
Kathleen Taylor is a freelance knitwear designer and a prolific writer. She is the author of the popular book Knit One, Felt Too, and her knitting designs have appeared in more than 50 different magazines. She lives in Redfield, South Dakota.
More about Kathleen Taylor...

Tory Bauer Mystery (6 books)
  • Sex and Salmonella (Tory Bauer Mystery #2)
  • Hotel South Dakota (Tory Bauer Mystery #3)
  • Mourning Shift (Tory Bauer Mystery #4)
  • Cold Front (Tory Bauer Mystery #5)
  • Foreign Body (Tory Bauer Mystery #6)
Knit One, Felt Too: Discover the Magic of Knitted Felt with 25 Easy Patterns Hotel South Dakota (Tory Bauer Mystery #3) Mourning Shift (Tory Bauer Mystery #4) Sex and Salmonella (Tory Bauer Mystery #2) Cold Front (Tory Bauer Mystery #5)