Start by marking “The Ring Sets Out (The Lord of the Rings, Book 1) ” as Want to Read:
The Ring Sets Out (The Lord of the Rings, Book 1)

The Ring Sets Out (The Lord of the Rings, Book 1) (The Lord of the Rings: Seven Book Editions #1)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  894 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Continuing the story of The Hobbit, this seven-volume paperback boxed set of Tolkien's epic masterpiece, The Lord of the Rings is a collection to treasure.

Sauron, the Dark Lord, has gathered to him all the Rings of Power; the means by which he intends to rule Middle-earth. All he lacks in his plans for dominion is the One Ring -- the ring that rules them all -- which has
Paperback, Film Tie-In Edition, 283 pages
Published September 3rd 2001 by Collins (first published July 29th 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Ring Sets Out (The Lord of the Rings, Book 1), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ring Sets Out (The Lord of the Rings, Book 1)

Nina
Years ago I went to the cinema with my brother (who loves LOTR) to see the second Lord of the Rings-film. I hadn’t seen the first one, but my brother was so enthusiastic I went with him. I was a bit confused. Though the fight scenes were cool and I remember Legolas sliding down stairs/railings shooting arrows and I thought that was cool as well. There were talking trees, which was weird. I liked Merry and especially Pippin. Frodo was a bit mean.

About a year later I watched the first film. Alone
Ben Payne
I listened to the Audible version of this book (or half book if you prefer - it's the first half of Fellowship of the Ring - the first "book" of that book).

Like a lot of fantasy readers, I read Tolkien when I was really young, then read lots of other fantasy by other authors that were derivative of Tolkien, and eventually became a little embarrassed of liking Tolkien. I started to feel that these books were a bit antiquated and full of outdated attitudes.

While that's true, to some extent, they'
Jackie
There aren't many books that are written quite like this anymore. It is a well written fantasy about Hobbits mainly Bilbo Baggins and his nephew Frodo, who had come upon the unfortunate findings of a Ring . The ONE ring to rule them all...etc that was lost long ago and picked up by Smiegle. This ring is the sole connection between The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings. I must say that I adored The Hobbit and I can't wait for the last movie to come out. How exciting.

Frodo is so sweet and kind as
Fenrir Lokeson
Aug 24, 2015 Fenrir Lokeson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
Shelves: tolkien, favorites
First of all I want to mention that I see The Lord of the Rings as 6 books, so I will give each of them separate review, than I will combine ratings for books 1&2 to make rating of Fellowship of the Rings (Same goes for books 3 and 4 and books 5 and 6), and when I am done with all 6 books then their average rating will be rating of The Lord of the Rings.
Alsa, I will be refering to first of six books as "Book", and I will call entirety of the Fellowship of the Rings as "Volume" or by it's tit
I'mogén
Okay, so my review got... Not saved somewhere along the line... So I have to try and remember allllll that was said! -.-
Here we go!
The Lord of The Rings The Fellowship of the Ring, Book One: The Ring Sets Out is just that! Frodo and friends set out on their first adventure with the ring in order to meet with Gandalf and learn more about the current troubles of MiddleEarth, which Frodo's inherited ring seems to be the target of.
I was rather pleasantly surprised that this novel didn't start as The
Jessica
Stuck between 3 and 4 stars. Some of it was great but then other parts consisted of 15 pages of "the road went down and then sloped back up and then went back down and then went right and up again" le sigh. Also very much underestimated the huge difference between the book and the film.
Jennifer Grace Fleming
In all honestly I was torn between 3 and 4 stars for a while as I can appreciate how incredibly written it is however I tried reading this book a couple of years ago and really struggled to get into it. I don't know whether it was because I was too young or whether the first 150 pages really are very difficult to get through as I literally picked up where I left off this time, given they were still walking around just outside the Shire halfway in.

That said, after picking it up again after promis
flajol
Yet another attempt to make it through the full set of books...

I actually liked Tom Bombadil this time around, so that's an improvement on my previous false starts with this book.
Tasneem Mhmd
nice novel baaad movie
Brendan Childs
The reason I read this book is because it is from a genre of books that I like (fantasy), and it is a classic series of fantasy books that are known to be one of the best that there are. I also read this because I have never gotten round to reading this series even though I have seen the movies may times. The category this book completes is a book written before my grandparents were born.

The things I liked about this book is that it starts the series really well and introduces you to all the ch
Chris Finke
Jul 12, 2014 Chris Finke rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
"The Ring Sets Out" is the beginning of the story that has mesmerized fans of print and film alike. Easily marked as one of the top 100 titles of the twentieth century, the Lord of the Rings is often mistaken as a trilogy. In fact, it is a "hexology" consisting of six books. Most readers are accustomed to Tolkien's magnum opus being published as three volumes. The three volumes are marked "The Fellowship of the Ring," "The Two Towers," and "The Return of the King." When reading each of these one ...more
Ilah Pinkberry
Reading this book is like eating vegetables I don't like.. I need to get over it though. I read it once when I was in school. My friend has this whole set of The Lord of the Rings book but he didn't read it and he didn't like it. I was curious why and I tried to read it. I closed the book after few pages cause I found that the book was kinda hard for me. I saw this book in the library so I thought of giving it another try now. Wondering what was hard for me back then. I can follow the story. But ...more
Bibin  Elampallil
Do you like slow movies. ? If yes, this would be a good book for you. This is an epic novel which says about an imaginary wolrd consisting of human and other human like creatures. Little slow but worth reading.
TJ
I don't believe I have the right to rate Tolkien's book because someone as extraordinary as he was, it would be unfair.
He is not just a writer, he is much more than that. He is a god and my favorite author of all time and I never get tired of re-reading his book.
Julie
J'ai lu toute la trilogie du Seigneur des anneaux, péniblement. Avec un certain intérêt, mais constamment frustrée par les longueurs. J'ai sauté plusieurs pages, des passages véritablement interminables. Les personnages, les univers, la complexité du contenu historique, c'était fascinant. Mais le rythme était trop lent, le style un peu trop naïf à mon goût et l'écriture, pauvre - comme je le mentionnais dans mon commentaire sur Bilbo le hobbit, c'est peut-être à cause d'une mauvaise traduction f ...more
Marauder#5
So boring, travel, travel, travel and more travel...
Cindi Chaisson
I had a hard time putting this one down! J.R.R Tolkien was light years ahead of his time when he wrote this epic series. Rich with detail, this book transports you to a whole new world, one created for the reader. Tolkien had an amazing imagination and he shares that with us, his readers by taking us on an amazing adventure through a land and time that inspires readers to allow themselves to escape into the pages of this masterpiece.
Sara
I loved Tolkien's writing style and the mysteries of Middle Earth, especally Tom Bombadil because he is just awsome and I don't think that I will ever uncover his mysteries. I cant wait to continue reading this series so I can see where this adventure goes.
Krishna N
The movie is not as good as the book, so many changes.
Natalie George
Well it's a great tell for a book and takes u back to a place that is magical and has wired thing coming out of ever little hole like a hobbit and warlocks and wizards all kinds of stuff so it's a good read
Bruno Kulić
Yay, I found a way to make my rereads count on the challenge!
This has always been my favourite part of the whole series, but lately (during the last two rereads) I've found the forrest part before Tom Bombadil to be completely forced and unnecessary.
Linda
FINALLY starting the LOTR septilogy!! I never really read it because I always associated that book with The Lord of the Flies, which is a book that always makes me shudder to think about.
Mblaineeichin
The only reason I put this at 4 stars is that the songs are a bit hard to get through...I ended up listening to this whole trilogy on tape - a great idea for a super long trip...
Amy
Whoa. An amazing story, I will do a video review when I finish the second book, making up the Fellowship of the Ring.

Chris Lemmerman
Not really much to say here other than I enjoyed this a lot more than when I attempted to read it about 10 years ago.
Sannie Hald
This is by far one of the best books I have ever read. B r i l l i a n t.
Jake Hatter Luna Sirius Chaplin
A very good opening to the LOTR trilogy :) I'm impressed.
Nathan
Great! Review to come.
Tolkien's T.C.B.S: Special Editions 7 18 May 20, 2013 09:47AM
  • The Prydain Chronicles (The Chronicles of Prydain #1-5)
  • Norby: Robot For Hire (Norby, #3-4)
  • The History of the Hobbit (One-Volume Edition)
  • L'Échiquier du mal, Tome 2
  • The Complete Aubrey/Maturin Novels (5 Volumes)
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • A Hobbit Journey: Discovering the Enchantment of J. R. R. Tolkien's Middle-earth
  • The Tree of Life (The Mysteries of Osiris, #1)
  • Bad Blood (Double Dead, #1.5)
  • Ouragan
  • The Practical Princess and Other Liberating Fairy Tales
  • Keulakuva (Ajan pyörä, #16)
  • Le vaisseau magique (Les aventuriers de la mer, #1)
  • The Origins of Tolkien's Middle-Earth for Dummies
  • The Hobbit and History: [The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Movie Tie-In]
  • Le bûcher d’un roi (Le trône de fer, #13)
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lan
More about J.R.R. Tolkien...

The Lord of the Rings: Seven Book Editions (7 books)
  • The Ring Goes South (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Treason of Isengard (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
  • The Ring Goes East (The Lord of the Rings, #4)
  • The War of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #5)
  • The End of the Third Age (The Lord of the Rings, #6)
  • Appendices (The Lord of the Rings, #7)
The Hobbit (Middle-Earth Universe) The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3) The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2) The Lord of the Rings (The Lord of the Rings, #1-3)

“But it is said: Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger. The choice is yours: to go or wait.'
'And it is also said,' answered Frodo: 'Go not to the Elves for counsel for they will answer both no and yes.'
'Is it indeed?' laughed Gildor. 'Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill.”
8 likes