Start by marking “Thunderhead Underground Falls” as Want to Read:
Thunderhead Underground Falls

Thunderhead Underground Falls

2.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  55 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Thunderhead Underground Falls tells the story of Jack, a young army reservist who has one weekend left before shipping out for combat in the Middle East. He and a friend find themselves behind the wheel of his parent’s car, driving farther and farther west into a snowy landscape. The book is an impressionistic exploration of Jack’s flight from his future, as well as an exp ...more
Published June 26th 2007 by Alternative Comics (first published February 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Thunderhead Underground Falls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thunderhead Underground Falls

Lindy
Jack meets a young woman he really connects with on one of his last days before he ships out with the army. It is bitterly cold outdoors and they spend as much time together as possible. She tells him, "If only you'd met me sooner. I would have talked you out of joining the army." Jack admits to being afraid. His greatest fear is that, "I won't see things the same when I get back. It's all gonna be different. I'll be different."

A quiet story told almost entirely in pictures, Thunderhead Undergro
Emilia P
Oct 15, 2008 Emilia P rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
I feel a little bad. This book was sort of in the same vein as Red Colored Elegy, but its middle American setting and sensibility hit home. And I love this illustration style, very indie-mid-90sish and full of action and life and feeling. A sweet little half-story not trying too hard to be more.
Andrew
Apr 27, 2009 Andrew rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I appreciate what the book was going for but, it never really delivers; Joel Orff has a clear vision that I enjoyed at times but fails to go for the gut of the issues he's exploring. We as the readers are kept at a distance that encourages boredom and confusion rather than thinking. Orff is an author I will no doubt keep an eye on and if you can snag "Thunderhead Underground Falls" it's worth the twenty minutes it takes to be read.
Cale
Jul 30, 2013 Cale rated it liked it
This is another by Joel Orff that focuses on relationships and slice of life story. A man going off to the army takes some time with his friends before leaving. That's basically the story. But the artwork, especially the cityscapes, are wonderfully done. The story captures melancholy a bit more than Waterwise did, but doesn't quite get the relationships as well. Still, another very nice tone piece.
Meghan
Sep 05, 2015 Meghan rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
The only thing I remember from this right now (2-3 weeks post-reading) is a sequence where a guy and girl are walking around town really late at night and they go into a house with an unlocked front door and imagine living there until they hear voices from upstairs and have to leave.
Fiza M.
Mar 20, 2013 Fiza M. rated it did not like it
Banyak ilustrasi yang tak perlu ada, lukisan pun pada aku sedikit cincai dan membosankan. Poin jalan cerita sebenarnya agak bagus- sepatutnya ia jadi satu kisah yang sedih tapi tak tahulah kenapa penulis biarkan penamat yang simple macam tu. Ringkas dan sangat tawar.
Robin
Aug 15, 2010 Robin rated it did not like it
A bland read. The book dragged on and on without shifting emotions, and seemed like it would have been more effective had it been reduced to two pages. There are far better reads out there about soldiers, war and losing innocence.
Jacob
Apr 14, 2012 Jacob rated it did not like it
Public library copy.
All Graphic
All Graphic marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Lynn Zecca
Lynn Zecca rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
Lawrence Tyree Library
Lawrence Tyree Library marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Shane
Shane rated it did not like it
Oct 29, 2015
Emily Strenk
Emily Strenk rated it it was ok
Sep 18, 2015
Keiko
Keiko rated it it was ok
Nov 25, 2015
Sarah Ahmed
Sarah Ahmed rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Joey Dhaumya
Joey Dhaumya rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2015
Jerod Duris
Jerod Duris marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Rebecca Booth-fox
Rebecca Booth-fox rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2015
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
David Townsend
David Townsend rated it did not like it
Mar 30, 2015
Andrés Santiago
Andrés Santiago rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2014
Catherine Kyle
Catherine Kyle rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2014
Terry
Terry rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2014
Mordechai Rackover
Mordechai Rackover rated it it was ok
Sep 06, 2014
Gavin
Gavin rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2014
Christopher
Christopher rated it liked it
May 04, 2014
Josh Ronsen
Josh Ronsen rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2014
A.R.
A.R. marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014