Start by marking “The Bear Necessities of Business: Building a Company with Heart” as Want to Read:
The Bear Necessities of Business: Building a Company with Heart

The Bear Necessities of Business: Building a Company with Heart

Build-A-Bear Workshop(R) is one of the most successful retailing concepts in recent history. Starting with just one location in 1997, the company now operates more than 200 stores worldwide. Leading the way is Maxine Clark, the company's founder, Chairman, and Chief Executive Bear. Clark is widely recognized as one of the nation's leading and most creative entrepreneurs. ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by John Wiley & Sons

To ask other readers questions about The Bear Necessities of Business, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bear Necessities of Business

Dawn Hukai
Sep 11, 2016 Dawn Hukai rated it liked it
Business insights from the founder of Build-a-Bear Workshop, Maxine Clark. Excellent advice for entrepreneurs and anyone interested in business or self-improvement.
Shannon
Mar 19, 2016 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
11/09: The boys and I recently happened up a BAB store in the mall in Peoria. They were wowed by bears in Star Wars and super-hero costumes. I was impressed with how the associates adored working for the company. One associate was a gentleman my age supporting a family on his income. THIS was a company I wanted to learn more about. I don't care beans about business, but great psychology/theology/sociology is often taught in good business books.

Inside Cover:
Build-A-Bear Workshop is one of the mo
Jan 23, 2011 Laura rated it it was ok
I was dared to read this book when my friends and I saw it in a Build-a-Bear Workshop (we had gone, because one of my friends admitted she had never been to the store and we, being avid Builders when we were young, would not allow that to continue). And, honestly, the book wasn't bad. It was an incredibly fast read and there were some parts that I truly liked, but I believe my dislike for major corporations like WalMart (and that Clark says that you should model your business after them) and the ...more
Amanda Spacaj-Gorham
Mar 24, 2012 Amanda Spacaj-Gorham rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Written by the founder of Build-A-Bear, Maxine Clark, this book is an excellent introduction to basic business concepts for an inexperienced entrepreneur. The autobiographical structure inspires young people to relate to the business concepts introduced as potential steps they, themselves could take to start their own companies.

If I taught high-school, I'd make my students read it. As much as I like,"The Great Gatsby" (which is, eh-okay) I'd easily replace it with this book, giving the kids a ba
Rebecca
Jan 26, 2016 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I'm typically not a big fan of business books even though I'm a business consultant and have written a leadership book myself. The reason this book resonated with me is that it's like having a conversation with Maxine, who is a warm, engaging individual. She freely shares her lessons learned in an approachable fashion that is helpful to business owners and leaders. Maxine is quick to state these pointers are common sense, however they are also the insights gained from years in ...more
Carolyn
Jul 17, 2013 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
I read this book quite a few years back. I still remember some of Clark's biggest takeaways, and would definitely be a great read for anyone looking to start a business. Not a very obvious book to pick up when thinking about starting a business, but Clark built this company and made it the millionaire dollar business it is today using heart and strategy.
Alice
Jan 04, 2016 Alice rated it really liked it
Maxine Clark, CEO of Build-a-Bear Workshop, shares the story of her success and some great tips for building a business in this fantastic book. Though at times somewhat unorganized and slightly prideful, the business advice included is priceless and worth the read.
Sharon
Aug 21, 2012 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business-books
I read this book about six years ago and don't remember too many particulars However, what I do recall was the outstanding way in which Maxine Clark presented her company's philosophy and got everyone, right down to the sales associates, involved. It's past time for a re-read!
Claudia
Feb 06, 2008 Claudia rated it it was amazing
My bible for our toy store...I love Maxine Clark. (She's the founder and president of Build-a-Bear workshops)
Natalie Keene
Natalie Keene rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2012
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2015
a
a rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Joseph Belpasso
Joseph Belpasso rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2013
Kristen
Kristen rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2011
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2010
Stephen Rothstein
Stephen Rothstein rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2010
Tranquil Environments
Tranquil Environments rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2013
Cody
Cody rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2015
Donald Heppner
Donald Heppner rated it it was ok
Aug 13, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2007
Stacie Figg
Stacie Figg rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2010
shatha jaafar ali
shatha jaafar ali rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Kristin Toohey
Kristin Toohey rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2008
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2014
Rodrigo Hidalgo
Rodrigo Hidalgo rated it liked it
May 18, 2015
Benjamin
Benjamin rated it it was ok
Apr 06, 2015
Annemarie Lewis
Annemarie Lewis rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2015
Jane Ciel
Jane Ciel rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2008
Orion
Orion rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2011
Maxine Clark (née Kasselman) is founder of Build-A-Bear Workshop, an American retailer that sells customizable teddy bears and other stuffed animals.

She graduated from the University of Georgia in 1971. She holds an Honorary Doctor of Laws degree from St. Louis University. In 2006, she published her first book “The Bear Necessities of Business: Building a Company with Heart”.

After college, she wor
More about Maxine Clark...