Start by marking “I Hate Martin Amis et al.” as Want to Read:
I Hate Martin Amis et al.

I Hate Martin Amis et al.

It is 1995. Milan Zorec, an aspiring yet rejected novelist, travels from England to Bosnia to join the Serbian forces as a sniper in Sarajevo, in the final months of the longest siege in history. He’s determined to find a story that no publisher will be able to damn with the words, ‘I feel I’ve seen this before.’ In doing so Milan journeys from innocence into the slow burn ...more
Paperback, First, 255 pages
Published 2011 by Transit Lounge

To ask other readers questions about I Hate Martin Amis et al., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Hate Martin Amis et al.

Jan 19, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: australia, c21st, 11review
The plot in Peter Barry’s novel is bizarre: failed novelist becomes a successful sniper in the Siege of Sarajevo (1992-1996) because he needs a unique experience as inspiration for a novel in order to attract attention. The writing is superb; the technique is masterful;and the subject matter is deeply unsettling.

To read the rest of my review please visit
Ljiljana Stancic
I stumbled upon this book by chance (was looking for a Martin Amis in fact). When I read that the book was about the frustrations of an aspiring novelist who joins Serb snipers in Sarajevo in 1994 after his novel is rejected by every imaginable publisher, I just had to read it. The results are mixed and where the novel works exceedingly well is where I counted on it to fail: in getting into the mind of a cold-blooded killer and in surprisingly accurately conveying the atmosphere of ultimate madn ...more
Jan 30, 2014 Rowena rated it really liked it
Peter Barry’s debut novel I hate Martin Amis et al. can be summed up as ‘when rejection turns a writer into a sniper’. Milan has written four books and all of them have been rejected. Usually he receives the standard, impersonal rejection slip, but then he receives a personal comment, ‘Scarcely original. Feel I’ve read this before’, and this tips him over the edge.

His father is Serbian and although he doesn’t even believe in the cause, he goes to Sarajevo to become a sniper and to gather materia
Dennis Rhein
Feb 14, 2014 Dennis Rhein rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults
Recommended to Dennis by: AMC
This author writes quite well and it's certainly a story very much out of the ordinary, about a subject rarely seen. Although I found it very dark and not the least bit amusing, the work was otherwise adequately reviewed by others here - so I'll limit my comments to the more mundane. Improper word usage in a book that has won awards strikes me as very strange. A good example is the usage of 'site' and 'sight', which were both used to describe the rifle sight. Oddly enough, this was the only mist ...more
Kris McCracken
A somewhat uneven book. First of all, it features a narrator and central protagonist who is decidedly unlike-able. Knowing that this was a deliberate choice by the author does not make the process of spending time inhabiting his mind any easier.

I suspect that much of this is supposed to be black comedy, but it is far more "black" than "comic". While the concept of artistic rejection is explored, I can't help but feel that the message is lost underneath such a bleak setting.

Not for the faint hea
Brenda Kittelty
A really interesting premise, if somewhat unbelievable. Still not completely convinced of the leading character's motivations to head off to the Balkans war and shoot a few dozen people. A classic case of enjoying the book while despising all the characters in it!
Sep 19, 2013 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I received a free copy of I Hate Martin Amis et al. via a Goodreads giveaway. I enjoyed this book. I would label this a dark twisted almost comical tale of a journey into madness. Thank-you Goodreads and thank-you Mr. Barry.
Philip Taffs
Jan 03, 2015 Philip Taffs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A black comedy that assassinates both war and the publishing industry.

Hilarious and heartfelt, imagine Martin Amis crossed with Milan Kundera, both reporting from the front lines.
Sep 20, 2011 Geoff rated it liked it
Interesting take on the writing industry, mixed with sniping in Sarajevo... strange combination that works really well, except for the ending, which I found anti-climactic...
Befff rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2015
David Edwards
David Edwards rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2012
Robert rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2012
Jane rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2013
Sean rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2014
Agnes rated it it was ok
Aug 05, 2013
Helen rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2012
Emmett rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2011
Vicarious rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2014
Peter Lomax
Peter Lomax rated it really liked it
May 13, 2012
Dmg94706 rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2013
Sean rated it liked it
May 29, 2013
Nancy rated it really liked it
May 16, 2013
Patrick Santelli
Patrick Santelli rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2015
Jamie Boyce
Jamie Boyce rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Richard Barry
Richard Barry rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2013
Ashkan Kalashy
Ashkan Kalashy rated it really liked it
May 11, 2014
Rob Muir
Rob Muir rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Matt Kelly
Matt Kelly rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2015
Adam Pastor
Adam Pastor rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2012
  • The Aimee Leduc Companion: A Guide to Cara Black's Paris
  • Nærmeste Pårørende
  • Captives: Britain, Empire, and the World, 1600-1850
  • Wink Murder
  • Warlords: An Extraordinary Re-creation of World War II through the Eyes and Minds of Hitler, Churchill, Roosevelt, and Stalin
  • Truth Lies Bleeding
  • The Few (Leone Scamarcio, #1)
  • An Empty Death (DI Ted Stratton, #2)
  • The Dealer And The Dead
  • Careful He Might Hear You
  • Plague Child (Tom Neave, #1)
  • Blood and Ashes (Joe Hunter, #5)
  • A Cotswold Ordeal (Thea Osborne, #2)
  • Lazarus Rising
  • A Youthful Indiscretion: A Novella (Kindle Single)
  • The Ends of the Earth (The Wide World Trilogy, #3)
  • Australians: Origins to Eureka (Australians, #1)