Start by marking “Off Camera: Private Thoughts Made Public” as Want to Read:
Off Camera: Private Thoughts Made Public

Off Camera: Private Thoughts Made Public

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Ted Koppel, anchor of Nightline, is one of America's most intelligent and respected journalists. With this fascinating book, he finally lets us know the man behind the face we've trusted late at night for almost twenty years.

Off Camera is a daily journal of the year that brought the twentieth century to a close--the year of Monica and Y2K, of shootings at Columbine, of the
Published October 9th 2001 by Vintage (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Off Camera, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Off Camera

Will Byrnes
In 1999, Koppel kept a diary. These are notes from each day of the year. We learn a bit about his personal background, how he reacts to the events of the day, occasional musings about this and that. It does provide a little insight into his worldview, professional ethics, that sort of thing. It also contains some interesting tales of days in the field in far off places, but overall, I found this a disappointing book. It could have been so much more. It is not a bad book, just a very limited one. ...more
Nicole Marble
The brilliant and knowledgable host of ABC's 'Nightline' reviews the year 1999. It seems antique at first, a thousand years ago - Kenneth Starr, Monica Lewinsky, Anadu Dialo, Kosovo, NATO, Comumbine, Y2K and Elian Gonzales. But Ted warns repeatedly against terrorist attacks. It makes him seems prescient. Ted is a skilled, if grumpy, observer.
Scott
A quick read with interesting perspectives on 1999. No joy in recalling Clinton's last year or Bosnia but some interesting insights into Koppel and enough doses of common sense to keep me reading.
Karen
Another 'discarded' library book. I'm always interested in people and their stories. I am looking foward to this one. At 25cents for a hardcover copy, how could it not be at least worth that?
Sue
I didn't know a lot about Ted when I picked up the book from my partner's shelves. It was fairly engrossing, especially his writings from overseas assignments.
Jack Coleman
Memiors of an ABC news acnchor leading up to the year 2000.
He reads Robertson Davies so he can't be all that bad.
Picked it up at the library book sale.
Conrad Haas
Enjoyable, recalling what when on during the times we lived. Some we know about and some we did not.
Steve Winget
Steve Winget marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Julie Louis
Julie Louis marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Marti
Marti marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
andrea
andrea marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Hélène
Hélène marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Jieh Jieh
Jieh Jieh marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Nick Houhoulis
Nick Houhoulis marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Ron
Ron added it
Jan 06, 2014
Dana Marie
Dana Marie marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Jordan Schuman
Jordan Schuman marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2013
Jen Richer
Jen Richer marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013
Katz!
Katz! marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Edward James "Ted" Koppel is an English-born American broadcast journalist, best known as the anchor for Nightline from the program's inception in 1980 until his retirement in late 2005. After leaving Nightline, Koppel worked as managing editor for the Discovery Channel before resigning in 2008. Koppel is currently a senior news analyst for National Public Radio and the BBC.
More about Ted Koppel...
Nightline: History in the Making and the Making of Television Off Camera Off Camera: Private Thoughts Made Public Nightline Attacks on the Press in 2003: A Worldwide Survey by the Committee to Protect Journalists