Start by marking “The Variable Man and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Variable Man and Other Stories

The Variable Man and Other Stories

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Four powerful novelettes and one complete short novel that clearly expose the impressive talent and startling imagination of Philip K. Dick:
The Variable Man;
Second Variety;
The Minority Report;
Autofac;
A World of Talent.
Published December 10th 1977 by Sphere Books Limited (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about The Variable Man and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Variable Man and Other Stories

Raj
Billed as a complete novel along with a selection of shorts, The Variable Man itself is more of a novella these days. A man is pulled accidentally from his own time into the 22nd century where his very existence is a variable factor that the computers planning the war against Centarus can't plan for.

This story is very much of its age, with the idea of all-seeing computers, where you just feed in the data to complex sociological questions and the answer pops right out. Thomas Cole, the variable m
Marts  (Thinker)
The Terran system is encircled by the Proxima Centauri empire with both being constantly at war and developing their own weapons to fight the other. Terran mathematically calculates its chances of winning and develops a bomb called Icarus. With the help of 'The Variable Man' who has arrived from the past by accident in what is called the 'Time Bubble'.......
Don Murphy
Poor Thomas Cole. One day, wandering about a pre WWI world. The next moment, brought 200 years into the future. People studying the past accidently bring Cole to the future and inadvertanly allow him to escape. He goes into a war-torn world, fighting an alien force from Proxima Centuri. They have the Terran forces blocked, and the earth forces will only fight when their odds are in their favor. Each side play a game of chess, moving but never striking. Finally, the earthlings create an ultimate ...more
Ivan Lutz
Jako jako jako stari SF. Znam da je Dick bio pionir u svačemu, ali ne mogu se mislima vratiti u 53. godinu sve da hoću. Ni tata mi se tada nije rodio:)
Dmitry Verkhoturov
Для рассказов Autofac и A World of Talent отсутствуют переводы, читать получится разве что на английском.
Nicholas
Some of Dick's earliest short stories are presented here. And what does the reader find? Signs of genius, signs of what would come, and so forth. All these stories are good. And by that I mean real good. Some of these stories would be latered turned into full novels, such as Dr. Bloodmoney with the character Hoppy Harrington. The very first short story by Dick ever published is here, the Wub one. And already in this first story we can see the potential this man had. Good stuff here.
Susan
Four novelettes & a complete short novel ('The Variable Man') by Mr Dick. Includes 'The Minority Report' (shock of shocks, it's better than the movie). I remember liking 'Autofac' the most, though it's been a while since I last read it. Overall, it's a collection of good, not great, classic Dick fare (read: pre- Valis). Nice to have around to thumb through every so often. And the cover (1957 printing) is nifty, too.
DeAnna Knippling
These are stories from the early 1950s, and it shows - not my favorite writing era, because everything has to be so bombastic and full of things that we find dated now, stylistically. Oh, the adverbs...

At any rate, I could have passed on the title story, but it was nice to be able to read Second Variety and Minority Report, finally.

Great ideas, but I like his later writing better.
Erik Graff
Aug 10, 2010 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dick fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I probably picked this up at Knack's Drugstore in Bridgman, Michigan at a time when I knew nothing of Philip K. Dick. The "Second Variety" story about World War III scared the hell out of me as I sat reading it at the trestle table on the porch we used for eating when there were guests.
Edward
Philip K. Dick is the absolute best SciFi/fanatasy writer of all time! I particularly liked Jon's World, Progeny and of course Variable Man.
Nathan
Read "The Variable Man" and "Second Variety" on gutenberg.org.
David
Great writing. Great stories. Well worth a read.
Kat Arthur
Kat Arthur marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Matthew Spey
Matthew Spey marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
David Herrington
David Herrington marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Akash Machra
Akash Machra marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Tamhas
Tamhas marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Fedora
Fedora marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Joseph Boyer
Joseph Boyer marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Marjie Ervin
Marjie Ervin marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Kevin Diffily
Kevin Diffily marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
  • Press Enter
  • Christmas in the Trenches
  • With Morning Comes Mistfall
  • Sailing to Byzantium
  • The Order of Things: How Everything in the World Is Organized Into Hierarchies, Structures, and Pecking Orders
  • Even the Queen: & Other Short Stories
  • The Children's Story
  • The U.S. Constitution: And Fascinating Facts About It
  • The Traveler
  • The Dreaming Jewels
  • Paris Is A Bitch (John Rain, #6.5)
  • Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde: The Devoted Friend/The Nightingale and the Rose
  • The Snows of Kilimanjaro/The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber
  • The Goonies
  • Warm Worlds and Otherwise
  • The Constitution of the United States with the Declaration of Independence and the Articles of Confederation
  • The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate
  • Bears Discover Fire and Other Stories
Philip K. Dick was born in Chicago in 1928 and lived most of his life in California. He briefly attended the University of California, but dropped out before completing any classes. In 1952, he began writing professionally and proceeded to write numerous novels and short-story collections. He won the Hugo Award for the best novel in 1962 for The Man in the High Castle and the John W. Campbell Memo ...more
More about Philip K. Dick...
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? A Scanner Darkly The Man in the High Castle Ubik Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said