Start by marking “The People Next Door” as Want to Read:
The People Next Door

The People Next Door

2.89 of 5 stars 2.89  ·  rating details  ·  722 ratings  ·  120 reviews
On a quiet street in a pleasant American suburb, the Nash family lead unremarkable lives and wrestle with unremarkable problems. And then the new neighbours arrive. The Renders are beautiful, confident, and charming, and the Nashes are seduced by their charisma, their money, their sex appeal. But they are hiding a horrifying secret.
Published July 7th 2011 by Sphere (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The People Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The People Next Door

Yolanda Sfetsos
When I received this book for review, I didn't know a thing about it. The cover looked creepy and after reading the blurb, I was really curious about it. Besides, I like a good horror story. So I started reading it with enthusiasm...

The Nash family have some new neighbours, but there's something really creepy about them. Yet, that's not the most horrifying thing going on in their lives.

Each member of the family is going through their own thing at the moment. The father, Mick, is struggling to k
Rebecca [Not reviewing at the moment]
'Mick woke up with a start,body trembling. He was staring at the floor, head hanging over the cot. He twisted over and sat up, rubbing his face,blinking to bring the room back into focus. Tears in his eyes, a fading scream sinking back into his throat.'

(view spoiler)
I'm not one to give up on a book halfway through but with this one I got to page 200 and couldn't bear to carry on. It actually started as a fairly decent story with lots of mystery surrounding the strange figures appearing next door but does drag into a quite bizarre and nonsense tale that you have to suspend your belief further than normal with this ridiculous tale. The writing style is a little hard to follow at times even though the story is fairly simple. The characters are all depressing a ...more
For once, the hyperbole on the cover of this book is right: you won't guess the twist. There are three explanations for this:
1. You'll be asleep. This book is so boring that you won't find the twist as you'll have flatlined or turned your Xbox on instead.
2. You won't care enough to try to guess it. You'll just want to get to the end so that you can read something else.
3. Twist, what twist? There's a twist?

This is the third book I've read by this author, each of them terrible in different ways (a
Vrinda Pendred
I half guessed the ending halfway through. It did not shock. It was poorly constructed, there was zero real in depth character development, I didn't care about anyone, everything was only half depicted, there were huge gaps, plot holes, it got astoundingly ridiculous, and then the ending was barely there. Adhered it failed to be eerie our suspenseful. Took absolutely ages to start or follow in any way. Do not read.
I am not sure that I understand the bad reviews and ratings for either of Christopher Ransom's books that I have read, The Birthing House or The People Next Door. Both are fair horror novels, both have horrible reviews and both are better than some John Saul or Richard Laymon books that I have read that have glowing reviews.

That being said, I am giving this book 3 stars with a bias towards 3 1/2.

A Colorado family's life is falling apart. Their family restaurant is failing. Their teenage son is r
Jennifer Thomson
The People Next Door represents a missed opportunity. A chance for a book to be spoken in the same breathe as a Stephen King novel like The Shining or It. Because the premise of this book is good.

An ordinary family get new neighbours and right away they realise something's off about them. What's their secret? As a reader you'll really want to know.

It's all very well having a cracking plot, but if the characters are uninvolving and weak and you don't give a stuff about what's happening to them,
I’ve found that his writing style is a case of you either love it or you hate it. Personally, I really enjoy his books.

With this one there are some predictable moments (ending included) but overall I believe it is well worth a read if you like his writing. As always with Ransom’s books you’re thrown headfirst into a story which, if able to grip you, is unwilling to let you lose until you have finished. A lot of it leaves you questioning until things are uncovered, but that is exactly what you wa
Rebecca McNutt
From the bad reviews this book was getting, I expected it to be so - not the case at all. The People Next Door was both creative and totally chilling, with a sinister plot and wonderfully-complex characters. If you're a fan of horror or thrillers, I highly recommend this book, it's definitely worth reading!
Lisa (scarlet21)
Whoever writes his 'blurbs' must be very well paid because although they aim to intrigue you about the story, the actuality is that the story doesn't live up to the blurb!
Having read The Birthing House and, I admit to having being intrigued by it, if confused by the finale, I thought I would give his third novel a go, despite being 'harangued' by fellow readers not to......
The People Next Door starts slowly and amidst some confusion with the 'flashbacks' to 'Island Living' which don't explain m
Not really sure how to review this one....hmmm

Was sucked in by the 'You'll never forget the twist!' On the back while stalking some books for my holiday. So being sucked in I was hoping for a shocking, gasping twist.

But sadly that did not happen.

To be truthful I did enjoy this book however at some points I felt the book repeated itself in some areas over and over again while others were repated for no reason and got annoyed with Mick straight away.

The story of the neighbours 'The Renders' is qu
Mallory Heart
Review of The People Next Door by Christopher Ransom
5 Stars

I ought to give this one 12 or 18 stars; it scared the literal blazes out of me, kept me awake racing through the pages just so I could finish it because I could not bear to fall asleep and have to wait till the next day to “find out,” and delivered exactly the quality of denouement promised by the back cover: a secret that the reader can’t guess, won’t guess, and is incredible. Yes-all that and more.

Take a marriage on the rocks; husban
THE PEOPLE NEXT DOOR by Christopher Ransom (one of my favourite horror authors) blends a number of horror elements to create a deeply suspenseful and scary tale that is more readable by virtue of its interestng cast of characters than plot. Starting with a very engaging opening, THE PEOPLE NEXT DOOR suffers from lofty expectations semi fulfilled. A stock standard middle class family, struggling to make ends meet has strange and mysterious neighbours who turn out to be anything but normal. Throug ...more
Sarah burrows
(Rating inbetween 3 or 4 stars)
The people next Door is a highly detailed book with very graphic describtions.
There are horror/gorey scenes in the book but not as many as i expected. And sometimes it felt like it didn't have an asenshall storyline as such.
I wasn't really drawn into the book at first, but as i continued it got better nd i was drawn in more and (near) the ending i couldn't put it down.
I liked how it showed different view points in the book, not only from Nick and his Family (Amy, K
Couldn't finish it. I found it was dragged out, the supposed "tension" was non-existent and the twist at the end which I skipped to was the conclusion I had come to all along.

Very disappointing because I find with Christopher Ransom the premise of the novel is always good, it has potential to be a good gripping story but when it comes down to it the execution just isn't up to it. I don't think I'll waste my time with this author again, life's too short to read bad books!
Whoever wrote the blurb deserves a pay rise and a pat on the back because it suckered me in hook line and sinker. The beginning was good, it went down hill pretty fast and barely made it across to the finish line in one piece. It was confusing, there was no twist worth reading for (never mind remembering) and it was more or less a waste of money. On the other hand I have an incredibly short attention span and the writing was good enough to keep me reading in the hopes the plot would be as good a ...more
Having been grabbed by the creepy looking front cover and after reading the blurb stating 'You'll never forget the twist!' I was really curious about this book as it appeared to have real horror potential and I was hoping for a shocking, gasping twist at the end. I like a good horror so I started reading it with enthusiasm. Having now read the book I’m not really sure how to review it, don’t get me wrong I enjoy it. It was a slow start to begin with, but it did pick up the pace after half way . ...more
Gina Dickerson
I did enjoy this book. The opening really caught my attention, then I felt the pace was a little slow (for me, this is just personal preference)after that until the last third of the book. I really enjoyed the last third of the book the most and the ending was satisfying. The story was an interesting concept. I didn't find it overly frightening or gory.
Kasey Searle
No idea if this is a 'good read' or not as I gave up after two chapters. This was mainly due to the spelling mistakes!!! And I don't mean the UK/US spelling differences, I mean full blown grammatically incorrect spellings! "The rope was taught?!!" Really?!! Not 'taut' then?!! Truly awful, couldn't read another word after that one popped up!!
Leslie Lindsay
This is the second Christopher Ransom book I've read--the first being THE BIRTHING HOUSE which seemed to be the better of the two. I picked this book up at a Bargain Bookseller in Dublin while on vacation--thinking it would be an engrossing read while on the plane. The backjacket blurb definitely intrigued me--"you'll never guess the twist...people are talking," etc.

While we all wonder about "the people next door," and what they may have hidden up their sleeves (or in their basement), I found th
Bleugh- this book was awful, I have to say. After spending time reading the back cover, I was ready for a really good, 'scary' read, and was disppointed by this novel, due to its over-contrived story line, lack of any interesting characters, and the fact that it really had, well... no plot. And no point. Well.
Some good aspects, changing perspectives from different characters, with a mysterious flashback thrown in here and there, a promising plot builds as we get to know the family and the problems they are facing. Unfortunately, not quite enough to draw from the run of the mill movie clichés, and at times a confusing array of names and characters. Annoyingly the descriptions of the main characters didn't happen until too far into the story and felt a bit disjointed, a shame as some of the description ...more
A strange book. Compelling in that it kept you reading in order to find a purpose to th book. Trust me there isn't one. It's just a purile horror story. But great if you like that type of stuff. I don't.
Jayne Lamb
You get the feeling that inside Christopher Ransom, there's a really decent commercial horror author trying to get out.
Ok, so this book took me two weeks to read, due to a slow start. I feel like the story lacked character development and that I was unable to connect with any of the characters. At parts I found myself highly annoyed when the story focused around Mick! His character really got on my nerves. At some parts, I found the story line hard to follow as I was unsure which parts were flash backs and present day. The story did like to fluctuate between characters and tenses, which for me was a little confu ...more
I absolutely loved this book! It was a little slow to get in to but after the first 50 pages I was engrossed. There is a lot of background about the characters and a lot of character development throughout the book. It became slightly confusing when the island living chapters were introduced but they just made me want to read more. The story of the Nash family is both fascinating and emotional. Mick's story is amazing, from the beginning when we learn that he is losing the family restaurant to t ...more
Jan 07, 2015 Deborah rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no-one
Recommended to Deborah by: caught my eye
not much. almost abandoned it when I realised the author wrote" the birthing house" which I abandoned as appallingly bad after two chapters. Persevered with this one as it was better written. I'd damn it with faint praise by describing it as mildly diverting- I did want to finish it to find out what the people next door were up to and by the time this was revealed I was close enough to the end to finish it. Sure I didn't guess and will will not forget the twist, but have already forgotten most o ...more
Michael Brown
There are, it's fair to say, some stinky reviews of this book. Various reasons are offered, but one that certainly stands out is the matter of the twist. It's much-boasted on the cover. Like so on the front:

You will never forget the twist.

And like this on the back:

already hailed as the most electrifying twist in years

Any reader lured in by that bragging is likely to want something a little bit special, a hail of narrative meteors. Well...

It wasn't special. In fact, it didn't feel like a twist at
I can't decide if I liked this book or not. I mean, it was confusing. At least for me. It always took me a moment until I figured out who was the chapter focusing on and then I had to re-read so I would understand it...I had to get back to some parts in the book because I realized after reading over half of the book that the person who was talking or writing or wathever was totally someone else than I though it was all that time :D And I didn't really get the whole thing...were they like some im ...more
Richard Keeling
I finished this book and resented it for the time it had taken away from me! Once I've started a book I cant just give up on it. I always hope it might get better. The storyline may develop to a better one, suddenly start to be written better. The characters may become a bit more believable,less annoying. Alas none of these things happened. I perceived as how can i give a true representation of the book if i gave up half way which is exactly what i wish i had done. The biggest disappointment was ...more
A 'Purpose' to Horror? 2 28 Feb 23, 2012 03:58AM
  • Possession
  • The Haunted
  • The Waiting Room
  • The Dwelling
  • Eloise
  • Apocalypse (Ethan Warner #3)
  • The Rule of Claw (The Rule of Claw, #1)
  • The End of the Line: An Anthology of Underground Horror
  • The Survivor (Jacob Striker, #1)
  • Doll Parts
  • Truth or Dare (Brennan & Esposito, #6)
  • Once Bitten
  • The Salem Witch Society
  • Jars of Clay (Jars of Clay #1)
  • Finders Keepers (Exmoor Trilogy, #3)
  • The Nightbreed Chronicles
  • Mummydaddy
  • The Supernaturals: A Ghost Story
Christopher Ransom is the author of internationally bestselling novels including The Birthing House and The People Next Door. He studied literature at Colorado State University and worked at Entertainment Weekly magazine in New York, and now lives near his hometown of Boulder, Colorado.
More about Christopher Ransom...