Judaism for Dummies

Judaism for Dummies

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Judaism isn't a race or even a particular culture or ethnic group. There are about 13 or 14 million Jews spread around the world, including about 6 million in the United States and about 5 million in Israel - so Judaism clearly isn't "a nation." So what "does" it mean to be Jewish? Here are the basics: Being "Jewish" (being "a "Jew"") means you're a Member of the Tribe (an...more
Published March 16th 2011 by For Dummies (first published April 10th 2001)

B.
Dec 30, 2009 B. marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Of course I will be reading this. I love "for dummies" books and whenever there is a topic or subject that interests me, I see if there is a "for dummies" book on it. It is a great book to introduce you to the subject matter.
Lauren
This book was a great refresher for me on values, traditions, and key components to my religion. With age, I am feeling more of a desire to connect with my faith and spiritual nature. Judiasm is so cool in that it is really a study of history and exploration of your OWN perspective on events that occured and shaped this world. I love that Judiasm allows freedom, discussion, and questioning of things instead of, 'this is how it is, like it or leave it.' I feel lucky to be a part of such a loving,...more
Deni Aria

I found this book is so handy to understand the other faiths or culture, this book provides a clear and lucid explanation to what Jews, Judaism for myself, the dummy! Reading this book definitely has made my bond to my own belief as this book has contributed to me by looking at others in an un-judgmental way!
Audra
Good information but, really, just too much. Too dense, too thick, trying to do too much in one book. I would give them credit for making me want to read other materials, but this just isn't very readable. I usually love the "for dummies" series as introductory texts but this one was not that great.
Thamrong
To love them is to know them. I love romancing the Jewish history. My first encounter with the Jews when I was a student in NELP. They were very warm and charming people. Three thousand years of Jewish history in a single book is quite stunning.
Kurt
This is everything I wanted from an intro book. It had humor, helpful hints, information on many aspects of modern Judaism, and personal stories from the authors. I recommend it to anyone.
Ari
Very good book to learn about the jewish faith. Made it very interesting to learn and put some humor into it.
Julie
Great book for those curious about being Jewish or understanding the culture and "rules" around being Jewish.
Boqueronbecky
I really enjoyed it. I had learned a new appreciation for Judaism. I highly recommend this book.
Beth
I LOVED this book. It was so interesting and taught me SO much. Am I weird?
Pia Hersom
Lærte mig nogle forskellige ting om jødedommen og dens traditioner
Rachel
Now I can really be a Jew if I wanted to be.
J.
Very comprehensive introduction to Judaism.
Rabbin Marc
Etonnament précis et complet
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Scott Stevens
Scott Stevens marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Meg Mobley
Meg Mobley marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Melissa Partee
Melissa Partee marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Vedran Kuljanin
Vedran Kuljanin marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Steve
Steve added it
Jun 19, 2014
Candy
Candy marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin is currently reading it
Jun 11, 2014
Abigail
Abigail marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Alexandra Bryant
Alexandra Bryant marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Judaism For Dummies A Journey of Awakening: Kabbalistic Meditations on the Tree of Life Judaism For Dummies (For Dummies (Religion & Spirituality)) Getting to the Heart of Interfaith: The Eye-Opening, Hope-Filled Friendship of a Pastor, a Rabbi & a Sheikh Religion Gone Astray: What We Found at the Heart of Interfaith