Start by marking “Weird Minnesota” as Want to Read:
Weird Minnesota

Weird Minnesota (Weird Travel Guides)

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  67 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Hail Minnesota for its strange sites, bizarre history, and peculiar folks! Come along and climb the Witch's Tower, sit down in a two-story outhouse, and spend a night in the Drunk Tank at the JailHouse Historic Inn. Then go gape at the country's largest collection of underwear. After all that, relax at the Bowling Hall of Fame. This new paperback version of Weird Minnesota
Published August 25th 2006 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about Weird Minnesota, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weird Minnesota

Tom
Jan 26, 2013 Tom rated it really liked it
A fun catalog of weird things in Minnesota. It's broken into three or four page chunks, so its something easy to pick up when you have five or ten minutes to spare.

"Weird" in Minnesota is kind of a "safe" weird, and by that I mean goofy, but harmless. Huge balls of twine, giant statutes of ducks, Paul Bunyan, fish, ice castles, goofy Governors... For the record, Jesse Ventura wasn't "Minnesota" weird, he was "California" weird. California weird is pumped full of ego... Look at me! I'm in-your-fa
Anne Hennessey
Minnesota is a weird place and now it has a book to prove it. If you enjoy traveling to different places, either by car, plane or via armchair, and like the unusual, then this is a book for you. Learn all about the weird in Minnesota and not just about the people. Some stories aren't weird, just not common. All in all, an interesting read.
Students will be introduced to places in their home state that they did not know. This book is perfect first step prior to starting Minnesota history.
Jessica Keddy
Aug 04, 2014 Jessica Keddy rated it really liked it
My cousin is mentioned in this book...sadly they have his name as Robert Burns when it should be Bruns. Entertaining book.
Anna Scholin
Interesting material poorly written about.
James
Jul 02, 2009 James rated it really liked it
an enjoyable read about the state with apparently the greatest number of roadside attractions per capita, with unfortunately not enough coverage of them. i was also a little disappointed with the perceived lack of paranormal, that seems to go hand in hand with the more author-narrated approach this book in the weird series takes over most of the other books. that said, that also allowed for other things to be covered that might not have had space, otherwise.
Kelly
Mar 14, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, 2013
I actually enjoyed this book more than Weird Wisconsin even though I grew up in wisconsin and have since returned to the state. Perhaps because most of my adult life was spent in Minnesota, I've heard of quite a few of the legends, places, and people in this book.
Becky
Nov 18, 2012 Becky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: minnesota, read2012
What's not to love about weird stuff in Minnesota? Some of this overlaps with his Vikings in the Attic, but I suppose that just goes to show there's weirdness with your vikings in the attic, too.
angrykitty
Sep 12, 2009 angrykitty rated it really liked it
after reading the weird california book, i totally had to get and read the weird minnesota book....let's hope it doesn't disappoint!

this was good, but california is definitely weirder.....
Kiessa
Feb 27, 2012 Kiessa rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Great idea for a book: A state's oddities, myths, unique personas, roadside attractions etc. This book has some fun pictures, but it was a book I will forget as quickly as I read it.
B.B.
Jun 15, 2011 B.B. rated it really liked it
Being a Minnesotan, it was pretty cool to read. I actually learned a lot about our state here... Makes me want to go see everything now. Maybe I will.
Kirsten
Feb 02, 2009 Kirsten rated it liked it
There wasn't much "weird"-ness in the book. but I think that's because Minnesota's a whole different kind of weird.
Everett
Everett marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Ash Magliano
Ash Magliano marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Linda Johnson
Linda Johnson marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2016
Crissy
Crissy marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Coffee Girl
Coffee Girl marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Two Readers in Love
Two Readers in Love rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Sarah Gioia
Sarah Gioia marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Carrie Niemi
Carrie Niemi marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
laughing sal
laughing sal marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Hunter
Hunter rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Lisa Crayford
Lisa Crayford rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Eric Dregni has written nine books including Midwest Marvels, The Scooter Bible, Ads that Put America on Wheels, and Grazie a Dio non Sono Bolognese. As a 2004 Fulbright Fellow to the Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Trondheim, Eric researched Scandinavian culture and roots for a forthcoming book. His time is divided between Italy, Norway, and Minneapolis where he is the curator f ...more
More about Eric Dregni...

Weird Travel Guides (1 - 10 of 36 books)
  • Weird U.S.: Your Travel Guide to America's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets (Weird Travel Guides)
  • Weird U.S. The ODDyssey Continues (Weird Travel Guides)
  • Weird U.S.: A Freaky Field Trip Through the 50 States
  • Weird Arizona: Your Travel Guide to Arizona's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • Weird California
  • Weird Carolinas
  • Weird Colorado: Your Travel Guide to Colorado's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • Weird Florida: Your Travel Guide to Florida's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • Weird Georgia
  • Weird Hollywood: Your Travel Guide to Hollywood's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets