Healing at the Speed of Sound: How What We Hear Transforms Our Brains and Our Lives

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  31 reviews
The bestselling author of The Mozart Effect taps cutting- edge science to show how we can use sound to improve our lives and achieve our goals.

Based on over a decade of new research, Don Campbell, bestselling author of The Mozart Effect, and Alex Doman, an expert in the practical application of sound and listening, show how we can use music-and silence-to become more effi...more
Published September 29th 2011 by Hudson Street Press

To ask other readers questions about Healing at the Speed of Sound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healing at the Speed of Sound

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
This worthy book's yawny review has been revised and can now be found at Expendable Mudge Muses Aloud.
Marival
An excellent book, easy to read, enjoyable, and full of examples and solutions from the everyday life to start being conscious and improve the sound environment in which we live.
Have you ever asked yourself how sound, volume, frequencies and even silence can impact your ear or your life? How they can heal and enhance your life? This book provides the perfect explanation of how sound (and music) influences our mood, the way we live, our performance, our health and of course our hearing system. An...more
Jacqui
Loved it! From the first page I was hooked. So much incredible information to be gleaned. It really made me re-think how sound affects my life on a daily basis, and how sound can heal. The right sounds/music can really change your life, from your workout, to the environment at work, to your health and even your relationship. There are some great chapters on sound and education, something I was really interested in. After reading this book, I find my self making more conscious choices of what typ...more
Carol K.
I won this excellent book on Goodreads and have found many useful ideas to use. This book was very well written with the goals and objectives of the book defined at the beginning,and lots of resources listed at the end. The statements were backed up with scientific studies, investigations, surveys, and were not just theories, showing the reality of the sound/mind/body connection. I wonder if anything like this has been done with animals, for their healing and well-being?
Rose
Feb 27, 2012 Rose rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Audiophiles!
Recommended to Rose by: NetGalley, Penguin Group
"Healing at the Speed of Sound" is a great examination of the impact of sound on a person's life - whether taken in the context of our moods, our work, or our overall development in life. The work examines the impact of sound in multiple facets of a person's life, and gives a bit of expansion on the science behind sound, individual accounts of people who have been impacted by it, and helpful tips on how to maximize (or in the case of noise, minimize) its role.

I liked how detailed this guide was...more
Jeff
First, let me disclose that I received a copy of this book for free in a goodreads first reads contest. I want to be clear from the start

This is a good book that covers the relationship of sound to the mind and body. The links are good - some good music and entertaining video.

The reason I didn't rate this book higher is that much of the content seems, well, obvious. I think that when you are writing a book such as this, it is difficult to maintain the best level of talking to the reader. You do...more
Lisa
A well-researched and informative book on music and sound therapy's latest uses and examples of its practice. The interactive version was a bit buggy, but that could also be my now-old ipad! The audio clips by the authors repeated a lot of the info in the book - and that's a good thing! With so much information, I loved having it said in a slightly different way -- learning visually and audibly.
Anne
I really enjoyed this book. There were sections of it that didn't really apply to my life, but were interesting to read about. I am interested to investigate the connected web site and peruse the related information. The book has made me think about listening to music more actively and not out of habit. On a meditative end, I think I will investigate Gregorian chants, a mantra with personal significance and drumming as a means of relaxation (chapter 7, link 64)
I am also interested in listening t...more
Skye
Enjoyable read and some good information and ideas, but nothing I hadn't read before. I was hoping that this book would be a little denser, but I still liked it and will recommend it to others.
Timmy Smith
I read each chapter of this book randomly. It makes sense. I suddenly became aware of how I could actually impact my outlook on life by immersing myself with healthy sound and silence.
Larry Mynatt
Sep 25, 2011 Larry Mynatt marked it as to-read
Both authors are friends.
Debbie
"Healing at the Speed of Sound" is a scientific look at how music and noise (and silence) effect our emotions, our health, and even our ability to learn. They talked about managing noise, protecting your hearing, and using the music you like to influence your day (on waking up, for exercise, traveling to and from work, at work, in the evening, and before bed). The advice was pretty basic, and the "soundtrack for your day" is very much based on what you like. So you notice what songs effect you i...more
Ginger
Healing At The Speed Of Sound - authors: Alex Doman & Don Campbell

I haven’t finished reading this book yet but am so enjoying it that I wanted to put some initial impressions down on paper. I’ll re-review after I have completely finished reading it the first time.

“I would teach children music, physics, and philosophy, but most importantly music, for in the patterns of music and all the arts are the keys of learning .” – Plato. In Healing At The Speed Of Sound this quote begins Chapter 4, wh...more
Marival
Bryan
Quick read with lasting benefits "if you apply what you learn." What did I learn? Humming for 15 minutes a day reduces sinus problems--not a bad thing to know during allergy season.

Lots of specific tips/study results document the healing power of music that can be used with any age group, in family settings, and in conjunction with specific medical problems.

The concept of shaping our sound environment each day is explored with lots of practical examples.
Cynthia Fry
I loved the subject matter and learned quite a few things. One of the annoyances in the audio format was the link footnotes. They often did not provide the website link, only the text about what the link was (eg this video of a dance troop in Boston). I wish music psychology was in this stage when I was going to school.
Mandy Doman
Healing at the Speed of Sound

I have always loved the idea of using music & sound in creative and practical ways and I know what a powerful impact it can have in our life. The authors get that each person is unique in what works for them, so they offer ideas to teach us how to customize our own sound environment.

They have opened my eyes (and my ears) to the methods available to improve brain function through sound so we can live a healthy and productive life. I enjoyed all the extras too: Li...more
Em
I won this book for free from Goodreads First Reads.
I am going ti agree with some of the reviewers on here and say that while this book has very good information, it is put so bluntly that it makes it hard to read. All the sentences are so straight. It is just information.
I like when they talk about other people's stories with music, though. Although they were real stories, that was probably the most creative thing about this book.
And, also as some reviewers have said, the information is not re...more
Patricia Herlevi
I enjoyed "Healing at the Speed of Sound" more than "The Mozart Effect". While Don Campbell introduced numerous studies on the healing power of sound/music in both books, the newer titles provides more flowing text. It also brings studies with brain, nervous system, music used in healing environments etc up to date. This book introducing a topic that fascinates me to no end. If you are interested in healing yourself and others with music, then I highly recommend this book. But if you would rathe...more
Terryann
i was completely sucked in by the information presented in this book as well as the informative links, downloads, videos and audio-casts on the website which were tied in. this is an accessable and readable non-fic wich really got me buzzing. the author takes you through the human life span from birth do alzheimer's and relates to you how sound, music, tone and rhythm develop the brain, heal the body and spiritualize the mind. i'm super excited to do some more research and am even tossing around...more
Cyndi
The concept in this book is that people can become more conscious about improving our "sound nutrition" and thereby improve our daily lives. Music and sounds can be chosen deliberately to energize, regulate moods, create household harmony, improve thinking, facilitate relaxation, and more. Conversely, the sound pollution that is so prevalent almost everywhere can have multiple adverse effects on well-being. Even though I already know these things intuitively, this book provides a welcome reminde...more
Nancy Peske
We don't often think of our soundscapes but this book does an incredible job of awakening us to the power of music and sound to alter our physical, emotional, and mental experience. If you can't get the interactive version with live links for your tablet or eReader, be sure to check out the links anyway--it really does help you appreciate the points the authors make. I increased my use of music and sound to enhance my life after reading this book.
Shaina
Alex and Don have made me aware of the importance of sound in my life, including the need for silent breaks from the everyday noise around me. I have now created a "soundtrack for my life," which I use to start my day, improve my mood, help me focus at work, and energize me during a workout. I recommend this engaging book to everyone because most people I know don't realize how sound, noise and music affect their mood, productivity and health.
Josh
Sound matters: Choose your environment wisely. Select music with intention. Decide how to listen to that selection.

Well written book and with many endnotes. (I have not yet listened through the accompanying web site and links/references from throughout the book.)
Chris

I give this three stars instead of more only because so much of it seems obvious when you think about it. But the format including weblinks and examples of the music or sounds under discussion is wonderful. You get to experience the book with more than just your visual sense.
Priscilla
This book is a great guide on how different sounds can effect your mind, body, and spirit on all levels. How different sounds can either make you more ill or more healthy starting from the molecule level of life to the more material/physical level of life.
Carma Spence
You can read my review of this book at The New York Journal of Books: http://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/revie...
Ana Hernandez
Liking this a lot, although I'm sad that Don just died last weekend. Great loss to the Sound Healing community and music educators.
Patricia
Excellent resource with lots of great links and suggestions
  • Your Playlist Can Change Your Life: 10 Proven Ways Your Favorite Music Can Revolutionize Your Health, Memory, Organization, Alertness, and More
  • Nerve: Poise Under Pressure, Serenity Under Stress, and the Brave New Science of Fear and Cool
  • Unthinking: The Surprising Forces Behind What We Buy
  • Don't Believe Everything You Think: The 6 Basic Mistakes We Make in Thinking
  • Brain Bugs: How the Brain's Flaws Shape Our Lives
  • Emotional Equations: Simple Truths for Creating Happiness + Success
  • The Science of Kissing: What Our Lips Are Telling Us
  • The Woman Who Changed Her Brain: And Other Inspiring Stories of Pioneering Brain Transformation
  • Yoga Cures: Simple Routines to Conquer More Than 50 Common Ailments and Live Pain-Free
  • The Money Book for Freelancers, Part-Timers, and the Self-Employed: The only personal finance system for people with not-so-regular jobs
  • The Compass of Pleasure: How Our Brains Make Fatty Foods, Orgasm, Exercise, Marijuana, Generosity, Vodka, Learning, and Gambling Feel So Good
The Mozart Effect: Tapping the Power of Music to Heal the Body, Strengthen the Mind, and Unlock the Creative Spirit The Mozart Effect for Children: Awakening Your Child's Mind, Health, and Creativity with Music The Mozart Effect for Children Mozart as Healer Creating Inner Harmony: Using Your Voice and Music to Heal