Start by marking “What Color Is Your Parachute? 2012: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers” as Want to Read:

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  392 ratings  ·  46 reviews
The 40th Edition.This is not your father’sParachute; and not your mother’s, either. They’d be astounded at the changes. This book keeps building--in insight, helpfulness, relevance, and urgency--through new invention and information each year. And this year it’s the critical resource to help Americans (and others) get back to work.

For forty years now job-hunters and career
ebook, 40th Anniversary Edition, 336 pages
Published August 16th 2011 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about What Color Is Your Parachute? 2012, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Color Is Your Parachute? 2012

Kater Cheek
A friend of mine bought this for me on kindle, saying it was a great way to find out what job best suits you. This book has been around for years and years, but as with textbooks, the author is quick to assure you that you really need the latest edition, as it's constantly being revamped. While there certainly are new addresses and new urls in this book, the basic principal, I'm sure, hasn't changed much.

Most of the book consists of a guided self-assessment of what your likes and dislikes, skill
Batch Batchelder
Very good resource for the career prospector/"introspector".

A little bit "I need a job" focused in places, but the diagnostics (chapter 13) are very good for self-examination toward determining strengths, weaknesses, preferences, etc...

Overall, very helpful. Highly recommended for "job" seekers as well as anyone who is on the "what should I do with my life" quest.

Format: Paperback via Amazon ($12.91)

Vonetta
Not really the kind of book helpful for recent professional school grads who know what they want to do and are just waiting for the right opportunity. I did like 2 things about this book, though: (1) The list of action verbs and skills prove very useful for resumes, interviews, and general self-assessments, and (2) the idea that time spent out of work is time to think and exercise, which is a comforting notion to those who have been out of work for a while and are looking for purpose.
joanna
May 15, 2012 joanna marked it as to-read
Shelves: abandoned-ship
the only edition that popped up on here is ebook. i do not read ebooks. i had to clear that up.

later...
i had to return this book to the library unfinished because every time i tried to read it i would literally have an anxiety attack. i'm sure it's not the book's fault. or at least i can't prove it.
Courtney
Fantastic career guide! It never leaves my desk.
Annemieke Windt
Now this book had more to do with my part of the job where I am a Student Guidance Counsellor and the fact that my second year students have to think about where they want to go with their study career and what they would love to do when they grow up. They still think that a career is something that is set in stone, when over the years I've learned that reality is usually more flexible than that. That it's about keeping on developing yourself and taking chances.

Well if that's your attitude to li
Kenn Prebilic
There's a great wealth of information in this book (the 2012 version), but like most things written about finding and pursuing your purpose in life -- there's a certain disconnect with making those dreams happen in the real world.

The solution to that problem here seems to be asking God for help. The whole last section of the book -- the pink section -- is about prayer and Christianity, and most of the information is already covered in the book so I am not sure the need for it. It's almost as if
Amy
I remember my mother having a copy of this book in the early 1980s when she was transitioning from grad school to career, so I picked up a copy, finding myself in a transitional phase of life as well.

The advice is very sound, but where I had to part ways with the book was probably the core of the content, where the author walks the reader through a full life inventory, but without the benefit of forms or worksheets. Had those been available to photocopy in the book or download, this exercise wou
Christina
I'm a little shocked this is the "best-selling job-hunting book in the world" as the cover claims. If this is the best that's out there then I won't be picking up any other career advice books ever.

I really didn't find any new advice about where to look for a job (internet job sites, networking, find companies in the phone book, your alumni office, etc) and how to land a job (work on your resume, practice interviewing, send a thank you note, etc).

If you're even remotely tech/internet savvy and y
Jeremy
My biggest take away from reading this: Do a lot of research into everything, starting with myself.

Take what I find interesting, figure out what skills I have, and find out how to combine those two somehow. Talk to people, as someone has probably done this before.

There's obviously more to job hunting to that, and the book goes over many of the details and steps. One of the best chapters is about how people like looking for jobs and how companies like filling job vacancies - The preferences are e
Kriston
May 03, 2012 Kriston rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who don't mind humoring the elderly
Recommended to Kriston by: Someone in college
I first read this book in the early 1990s and it was as useful then as it is now. The author has thoroughly updated the book for use in the new age of the internet but it's like hearing Larry King describe Twitter.

As in the older editions, the author gives too many specific internet addresses that are outdated by the time the book is printed. The author refers the reader to his friends in the career-coaching world too many times.

My advice is to read this book for the advice and the exercises. Tr
Beth G
Read it a long time ago, but it's an excellent resource for determining your best career path.
Danielle
I actually got this book from the library thinking it was more of a 'find your ideal career' type book. When I discovered it wasn't, I almost took it back, but decided to read the interviewing section for an upcoming job interview I had. It was very good! I ended up reading the whole thing.

There is a section on finding your ideal career with a pretty meaty exercise. It also includes sections job hunting tips, salary negotiation, interview tips, tips on getting raises, etc.

I recommend this for a
Cecelia Hightower
This was recommended from a couple of professors as a good book to read when job hunting. Even though I am not job hunting as in looking for a new job I am starting my new business so I am looking for places to have my computer classes -- this book was very helpful in reminding me of what it is that I have to offer and why I wanted to teach in the first place. I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a job or has a change going on in their life. Work related or personal, the book ...more
Katie
Great book. Lots of useful information on how to market your job skills and discover the job you truly want to do. The first appendix includes a section on faith and how that is tied to job hunting. It was an interesting read that made a lot of sense in regards to discovering what type of work you want to. Another appendix section was on unemployment and depression which resonated with me and made me feel less alone. There are some great tasks in this book. Well worth taking the time to read. 4. ...more
Tory
El libro tiene buenas ideas y consejos para la persona quien está buscando para una profesión. El subtítulo del libro deba decir: un guía para buscadores de carreras que quieren una profesión que empareja sus habilidades. Me gustan los ejercicios que ayudaron a definir sus fortalezas. Muy práctico para el buscador. Voy a utilizar esto en la clase de vocacional que yo ensenar para buscadores del trabajar.
Keith
I, thankfully, was not looking for a job or a career change. As an employer, only the two chapters on salary negotiation and interviewing tips resonated. I generally agreed with the job seeking advice in the early part of the book, but found it mostly obvious. The last half of the book was dedicated to the "flower exercise," which only seems relevant if you are looking to reinvent yourself.
Emily Cerda
This book was pretty useful and it had a lot of interactive exercises that opened my eyes to my "layers". I was having trouble trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life realistically (plan B) while I pursued my true dream (plan A) and this book helped me realize what I was good at, what I enjoyed, and my options for how to utilize the experience and skills I have. A truly great read.
Michael
This book is a must have for anyone actively seeking employment, whether it be work in the same field or a transition from unemployment, or into a new career. Richard Bolles outlines the entire process, then carefully elaborates on each detail, step-by-step. I wish someone would have recommended this book to me when I was 14. It would have changed my entire life.
Dylan Derflinger
I only read the one chapter based on trying to find one's "mission." I was told to read it from my therapist because I'm uncertain about what kind of career I want to go into. The book basically says you first must appreciate God and stuff and then you'll magically figure out everything. Definitely not a good book if you are a theist. Otherwise, look the other way.
Hitesh
Anyone who wants to discover one's professional strengths needs to read this book. The companion Workbook is a must to be done. The author has been a personal favourite of mine since my college days, because of his no-nonsense writing style and stuff that motivates one to take that FIRST step towards becoming a professional.
Charles Erlandson
"What Color is Your Parachute 2012" is an up to date philosophy and advanced primer on how to find a job. It's a very timely book in light of the current economy. See my full Amazon review at: http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-r...
Vinn Wong
How would you describe work? A way to make money, sure. But if it's more than that, then your work is how you express yourself and who you are. And if given a choice, whatever work you choose ends up being the expression of your own personality, working through some 'medium'.
--What is your parachute? Richard N. Bolles
Stephanie
didn't really help me. can be helpful if you really know nothing about job-hunting in the 21st century, but if you've already experienced it (and hopefully have been learning from your experiences), then this book doesn't tell you anything new that you probably don't already know.
Elizabeth Olson
A classic on job finding (not just job searching), job creation, and uncovering what you're really good at, what you really want, and even who you really are. Updated for the economic realities of 2012, it's as fresh and valuable now as when it was first released decades ago.
Claudie
I enjoyed this book. The writing style is "meh" but the content is really good. It gave me courage to try different tactics in my job search and provided good advice before formal and informal interviews. I recommend it to all job searchers!
Lindsay
Absolute gem, not only practical but spiritually based. The book really changed my perspective and actions when it comes to jobs and job hunting. Recently completed the inventory, it hangs at my desk as a reminder of what I'm looking for!
Mariya
actual book about the professional development (searching and planning the work with interest). felt cultural diversity in attitudes to the recruiting in some international companies.
easy to read and understandable language also.
Amanda Brown
Great if you need help in how to find a job...I was expecting more on if I want to change careers how do I determine what I want. I didn't need all the job search details, couldn't finish it.
Alicia
This is an awesome book. I read it before I got the job I have now, which I love. It was very specific and gave lists of things for me to do to be more competitive and expand my job search.
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • The Google Resume: How to Prepare for a Career and Land a Job at Apple, Microsoft, Google, or Any Top Tech Company
  • Resumes For Dummies
  • Getting from College to Career: 90 Things to Do Before You Join the Real World
  • Write Is a Verb: Sit Down, Start Writing, No Excuses
  • Feel the Fear...and Beyond: Mastering the Techniques for Doing It Anyway
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Personal Finance in your 20'sand 30's
  • Millionaire Women Next Door: The Many Journeys of Successful American Businesswomen
  • The Integral Vision: A Very Short Introduction to the Revolutionary Integral Approach to Life, God, the Universe, and Everything
  • The Renaissance Soul: Life Design for People with Too Many Passions to Pick Just One
  • Deadly Doses: A Writer's Guide to Poisons
  • The Breakout Novelist: Craft and Strategies for Career Fiction Writers
  • I'm Chocolate, You're Vanilla: Raising Healthy Black and Biracial Children in a Race-Conscious World
  • How the Light Gets in: Writing as a Spiritual Practice
  • Life After College: The Complete Guide to Getting What You Want
  • Writing the Other (Conversation Pieces Vol. 8)
  • Booklife: Strategies and Survival Tips for the 21st-Century Writer
  • Writers on Writing, Volume II: More Collected Essays from The New York Times
What Color Is Your Parachute? 2007: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers What Color Is Your Parachute? Workbook What Colour Is Your Parachute? 2008: A Practical Manual for Job-hunters and Career Changers What Color Is Your Parachute? 2014: A Practical Manual for Job Hunters and Career Changers What Color Is Your Parachute? 2011: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers