Start by marking “Het geheime dagboek van Adriaan Mole 13 3/4 jaar” as Want to Read:
Het geheime dagboek van Adriaan Mole 13 3/4 jaar

Het geheime dagboek van Adriaan Mole 13 3/4 jaar (Adrian Mole #1)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  29,797 Ratings  ·  998 Reviews
Die Leiden des jungen Adrian Mole.

Adrian Mole ist ein ganz normaler Jugendlicher und so hat er auch die ganz normalen, altersbedingten Träume und die ganz normalen, altersbedingten Probleme: Pickel, Schule und Mädchen. Mal altklug, mal Herz erfrischend naiv kommentiert er aus der Sicht des Heranwachsenden die - für seine Begriffe - reichlich verworrene und undurchschaubare
Published 2000 by Ambo-Anthos (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Het geheime dagboek van Adriaan Mole 13 3/4 jaar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Het geheime dagboek van Adriaan Mole 13 3/4 jaar

Manny
April 25

I start reading a book called Diary of a Nobody. It is boring and not much happens, also Mr. Pooter is pretty dim. I don't get it. Why would anyone want to write a book about a nobody who takes himself far too seriously?

I decide that I will write a book about myself that will be quite different, it will be full of important things I do and extremely interesting. Perhaps I will call it Diary of a Somebody. But then people won't know which somebody it is, since everyone is somebody. I dec
Justine Halligan
Jun 09, 2012 Justine Halligan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a hoot. I used to read it on the train and had to stop doing so because people around me were annoyed by my laughing and snorting.

I don't know how Townsend knows so much about the workings of a male teenaged mind, but it's thoroughly convincing and all hilarious. Adrian Mole is a young intellectual and poet, constantly disgusted by his un-intellectual parents whose marriage is rocky and who split up during the course of the novel. Mole spends a lot of time agonising over his age (e
Valerie
The Diary of Adrian Mole is like a snarky one-liner that continues for 135 pages. Adrian is a self-centered, irreverent British 14-year-old whose diary entries include nuggets of wisdom such as:

Pandora and I are in love! It is official! She told Claire Neilson, who told Nigel, who told me.

I told Nigel to tell Claire to tell Pandora that I return her love. I am over the moon with joy and rapture. I can overlook the fact that Pandora smokes five Benson and Hedges a day and has her own lighter. Whe
Susi
May 24, 2012 Susi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've just read this to my daughter who is exactly this age. I'd read the book when it first came out but it was great to revisit both it and the memories that it stirred. Reliving the Falklands War, the Royal Wedding, mass unemployment, stress over the changes to the school system etc was fascinating if only to realise how little has changed! We almost had to stop reading at one point as each day's literary Mole catastrophe coincidentally seemed to then occur in my daughter's real life: her firs ...more
Ivonne Rovira
Jul 19, 2016 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who's been 13
Recommended to Ivonne by: Manny Rayner
Like many before him, pimply, priggish, pretentious 13-year-old Adrian Mole — well, 13 and three-fourths, to be precise — begins a diary on New Year’s Day. Well, he Leicester had me from the very start. Adrian’s the sort of boy who imagines a future in which his parents, his teachers, school bully Barry Kent, and just about everyone will be sorry that they weren’t nicer to him. My favorite quote? “Perhaps when I am famous and my diary is discovered, people will understand the torment of being a ...more
Tim Roast
Nov 17, 2015 Tim Roast rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You've probably heard of "The Secret (although not anymore it would seem) Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13 " but I'll review it anyway.

The diary covers the period January 1981 through to beginning of April 1982. Therefore Adrian was not 13 throughout the story (false advertising?); instead he was merely 13 at the beginning and 15 at the end.

It is now 30 years since the diary's release and apart from mentions to the price of things (30,000 for a semi-detached house, if only) and the mention of cert
Amanda
Nov 01, 2012 Amanda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harry Potter (in case he needs another book to stab)
Recommended to Amanda by: It was forced on me! I will deny every argument against this!
1 dead star.
Yes, I hate this book so much, I killed its sole, lonely star.

As this was a school assigned book, I have written a much more formal review from an objective point of view for my English class. I also wrote a review purely for me, from a very subjective point of view. Feel free to just read the objective one but if you want to see how bad the book was for me, personally, read to the end.
Without further ado...

The Objective Review:
From an objective point of view, The Secret Diary of Ad
Klodovik2
Aug 15, 2015 Klodovik2 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Koji je ovo užitak bio čitajući u pubertetskom razdoblju. U mnogim stvarima sam se prepoznao što je u biti i najveća odlika ove knjige. Pokazati da nisi jedini koji prolazi kroz pubertetske patnje i druženje s ravnalom :)
Najjača scena mi je bila nesreća s ljepljenjem makete :) :)
Oda
Feb 06, 2016 Oda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this today for school(yeay english lit class).
I defently see why its so highly praised.
A very,very,very funny book, that is hands down one of my new top humor books.
And lucky for me there are lots of other books in the series out :)
Gehna
Mar 20, 2016 Gehna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gehna by: Smitha
I wanted to read something different from my usual reads so my friend Smitha recommended this book to me. When she mentioned that this book is written like a diary, the usual picture of a bubbly girl writing a diary came to my mind but it was Adrian Mole and I haven't read my books with male diary writers so this was the main reason I picked this book.

This is the diary of Adrian Mole who is 13 3/4 years old and is waiting for his birthday. He considers himself and the readers intellectuals so he
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
Adrian Mole starts the new year with a huge spot on his chin. Sue Townsend's famous tale of a teenager read by Nicholas Barnes.
Jul 03, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely formative for my being. I've read it so many times (the edition whose cover is an homage to "Catcher in the Rye") my original copy is worn. It's actually the 3rd copy as two I loaned out were never returned.
I still remember sitting in Freshman (College Bound) English with Madame Gouldy and looking over to see Jonathan Reinke chuckling quietly over the paperback he was trying to hide under his desk. I asked him what it was and he showed me. Luckily, I was able to get my own copy soon
Beth Bonini
I have been meaning to read this classic for YEARS.

Poor old Adrian: so innocent and pompous and self-deluded, all at the same time. This book is very, very English; I think that I had just enough knowledge of the culture (after 24 years of being with a British man) to pretty much "get" it. It also helps that I was more or less the same age as Adrian in the early 1980s. Great social document, with some enduring humour -- a lot of it in the gap between what Adrian thinks/understands and what the r
Jana
May 10, 2015 Jana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anglophile
Adrian, how is it that we've only just met? You're hilarious. I laughed so frequently that my husband took you from my possession as soon as I was finished and started reading as well. I hope he agrees with me that it is dead brill.

I am ever so pleased that there are a total of 8 Adrian Mole diaries to enjoy. The title of the final book is ADRIAN MOLE: THE PROSTRATE YEARS.

Thank you Jen! This little copy traveled home with me from London and I can't think of a better souvenir.

The author also has
Hobbes
Mar 30, 2015 Hobbes rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult

So much for the National Health Service. I will get a paper-round and go private. (Snort)

If I was the loneliest person in the world I wouldn't phone up our school. I would ring the speaking clock; that talks to you every ten seconds. (Still available to dial on 123!)

It is the first day of spring. The council have chopped all the elms down in Elm Tree Avenue. (Quite!)

I am reading The Mill on the Floss, by a bloke called George Eliot. (Yes, I made the same assumption first read)

Epiphany is somethi
Wynne Kontos
Jun 25, 2012 Wynne Kontos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bought this at the EuroStar train station in London. Had never heard of it, seemed like sort of an English Judy Blume. I have multiple times laughed out loud.
Very enjoyable overall. In the world of authors, Sue Townsend is in a neighboring cul-da-sac from Roald Dahl. Quirky character names, a lead who hasn't got the best of luck but you still root for, a dirty, wry sense of humor and a touch of English. Poor Adrian Mole's parents are breaking apart, no one can control the family's nameless dog,
Simon Taylor
Aug 29, 2013 Simon Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like other things for the 13’s like Haribo and cheesy films, they can be enjoyed by adults and children alike. On the surface, Adrian lives an entertaining life, caught up in the dramas of the day-to-day: school, family, girls and a horribly tight budget. We can relate to his experiences, both trials and triumphs, and easily engage with the titular calendar. Sue Townsend does a brilliant job of regressing to her teenage years to remember the intimacies of the most awkward age group.

For the adult
Esperanza Writes Too
I have read this book for school, well, an adaptation of it. What can I say? This story is about a boy that writes on his diary all his adventures and actions during the day. It was really funny, firstly because it's not the kind of books I usually read for classes, this surprised me. A lot.
I couldn't laugh more with Adrian's worries about spots, it's the first boy I know (even it's fictional) that cares about that!
He's in love with Pandora, a girl that, personally thinking, is a girl that bri
Becky Black
Apr 10, 2014 Becky Black rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So sad to hear of Sue Townsend's death. This was a book that really captured the minds of young teens in 1980s Britain. It will always stay with me. I should get a new copy for a nostalgic tribute reread.
HeavyReader
Jan 21, 2012 HeavyReader rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of pompous young men and British humor
Shelves: young-adult
Adrian Mole is a pompous, self-centered, arrogant little snot.

What is up with these 14 year old boy books where the boy is all about himself from beginning to end? Did Ponyboy spoil me forever? Ponyboy, now there's a nice, sensitive kid.

The worst part of this book (like others of this genre that I've read recently) is that I just don't see much character development. This character is pretty much the same, beginning to end.

I did laugh out loud in a couple of spots, and that's what saved this bo
Marco Esteves
i still didn't get the message behind it wtr
Sam
Apr 13, 2016 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
From 13 to 15 ( 2 heavy years)

I have read the book “The Secret diary of Adrian Mole” from Sue Townsend.
It’s all about a boy called Adrian, who is 13 years old at the beginning of the book and at the end it is his fifteenth birthday. During these 15 months Adrian falls in love and he’s struggling with adolescent problems like growing up, getting acne, …
He is an incredible worried person and he makes all of the problems much bigger than they are. And then you have his parents, they aren’t really
James
Dec 29, 2014 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adrian Mole is a self-proclaimed intellectual, growing up in 1980s England. His mother runs off with the neighbor and his father loses his job and does little to support Adrian, who is often left to fend for himself. This book is his diary of 1 1/2 years, and it is dead hilarious (to put it like Adrian might). I'm not sure how this one passed me by when I was a teen in the '80s. I didn't have all of the same problems as Adrian, but I could definitely have related to him.
Elise
Oct 16, 2008 Elise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adrian Mole is a 13-year-old self-styled intellectual who is 'at the same time not very clever.' I love the way he pesters the BBC with unsolicited poetry, and treasures his rejection letters. He's definitely the young fogey in his family, often aligning himself with his grandmother against his adulterous mother and unemployed father.
Oct 18, 2015 Laura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Elegido para el Club de Lectura por Lum.
No pude entrar en sintonía con este libro. Adrian Mole, me pareció un personaje superficial, idiota y desagradable (por solo nombrar algunas de sus cualidades horribles). Sus actitudes egoístas y su incapacidad de amar me repugnaron. Si la autora pensó que estaba siendo graciosa cuando lo escribía, subestimó mucho a sus lectores, en las 200 páginas del libro no me sacó ni una mínima sonrisa. Prácticamente leí todo el libro con el ceño fruncido.
Tampoco me p
David Baird
Jan 31, 2016 David Baird rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved this as a kid..still love it now. coming of age tale.. contains light humour but also has depth that the main character being so young just doesn't understand.

super quick read too. diary entries make it so easy to read
Alecia
Jan 13, 2012 Alecia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing. The character of Adrain Mole - brillaint name - was so likeable and authentic. So many laugh-out-loud moments. A must read for anyone who wants to feel like a child again.
Melissa Storm
Nov 19, 2011 Melissa Storm marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-reads
A reviewer just referred to Farsighted as "The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole and Harry Potter rolled into one," so of course, I NEED to read this book now!
Shaun McAlister
Apr 13, 2014 Shaun McAlister rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With the recent death of Sue Townsend I decided to re-read Adrian Mole only to discover my previous copy was falling apart at the spine. I read the series once every few years and realising that they will never be another is a great disappointed as he is a character I have followed through his "life". I read this for the first time when I was 12/13 and like everyone else since publication identified with Adrian Mole. The fact that a 30 year old woman can write about a teenage boy so perfectly on ...more
Mizannie
May 17, 2015 Mizannie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sue Townsend had a knack for capturing the inner life of the adolescent boy. We meet Adrian Mole via his diary entries and through them learn of his insecurities, his abysmal home life, and his big heart. Adrian is a self-proclaimed "intellectual" and his diary entry lists what he is reading, although his school grades are certainly not spectacular. Socially awkward, Adrian navigates a crush on a pretty girl with "treacle hair," deals with a school bully, and volunteers to visit an elderly perso ...more
  • Družba Pere Kvržice
  • Floddertje
  • The Dare Game
  • Molesworth
  • Hajduk u Beogradu
  • Man and Boy (Harry Silver, #1)
  • Manservant and Maidservant
  • Fiddle-back (Stella Street, #2)
  • Sunset Song (A Scots Quair, #1)
  • Rosa, Minha Irmã Rosa
  • Marianne Dreams (The Magic Drawing Pencil, #1)

Susan Lillian "Sue" Townsend is a British novelist, best known as the author of the Adrian Mole series of books. Her writing tends to combine comedy with social commentary, though she has written purely dramatic works as well. She suffered from diabetes for many years, as a
More about Sue Townsend...

Adrian Mole (8 books)
  • The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole (Adrian Mole #2)
  • True Confessions of Adrian Albert Mole (Adrian Mole, #3)
  • Adrian Mole: The Wilderness Years (Adrian Mole, #4)
  • Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years (Adrian Mole, #5)
  • Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction (Adrian Mole, #6)
  • The Lost Diaries of Adrian Mole, 1999-2001 (Adrian Mole, #7)
  • Adrian Mole: The Prostrate Years (Adrian Mole, #8)

“There's only one thing more boring than listening to other people's dreams, and that's listening to their problems.” 60 likes
“8.45 a.m. My mother is in the hospital grounds smoking a cigarette. She is looking old and haggard. All the debauchery is catching up with her.” 16 likes