Start by marking “Somewhat Saved” as Want to Read:
Somewhat Saved

Somewhat Saved

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  16 reviews
In her most soulful and side-splitting send-up of church life yet, Pat G'Orge-Walker's hilarious cast of parishioners battle their worst vices, the funny and serious sides of aging, and each other. . .

Mother Sasha Pray Onn and Mother Bea Blister live on the edge--of Christianity, that is. As senior matrons of the Ain't Nobody Saved but Us-All Others Goin' to Hell church,
Published July 1st 2011 by Kensington (first published March 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Somewhat Saved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somewhat Saved

Lilo
Jun 09, 2013 Lilo rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: friends of the author
Oh my, this is the worst book I ever read. I hate to say this because the author is likable, as a matter of fact, VERY likable. Yet she just simply can't write. Makes about every mistake one can possibly make writing fiction. Just to name one: The characters in this book are utterly unreal. There are 5 protagonists. One is a young woman, another is a young man. Both are oozing with nobleness, and, of course, find a happy end. Three are woman in their mid sixties. The author could obviously not m ...more
Msladydeborah
Jul 05, 2009 Msladydeborah rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who enjoy reading a story about Black church folks.
Recommended to Msladydeborah by: no one
This is the first book that I have read by Pat G'Orge-Walker. I did not realize that it was part of a series. I believe that the first book is titled Sister Betty:God is Calling You. (I haven't read this one yet)

I found Somewhat Saved to be a pleasant surprise. If you know about how funny Black church members can be-this is a book that you might want to read. Their flaws and attitudes will have you cracking up.

There is also a really nice relationship story that I found to be refreshing. While th
Bruh
A semi humorous look at the machinations of some
of the Mothers (in every sense that word/term
can take) of a particular church. Past secrets
that affect the characters currently, and how
the characters behave, trying to bring about
the future they hope to have. I only gave it
2 stars, but I'm not disappointed that I bought
and read it. I was "somewhat" entertained...
Tiffany
Ehe, it's ok. Nothing special. I had never read anything by this author but picked it up at the library. It's supposed to be laugh out loud funny, but I think I've chuckled twice.
Brenda
Too funny. This was the first book I read by Pat G'Orge Walker and i loved it. I highly recommend this book.
The story-line sucks you in from the first chapter.
Sonja Deloach
This was an excellent book. I found myself trying to read anytime that I could once I was able to really get into it. I'm supposed to be working or doing homework wanting to pull the book out. It was so real. At times it was humurous as well as serious. It showed how some elder women act outside of the church and how they found that they needed to lean on god at all times. I thought she would've been able to truly meet her dad and talk to him but in the end they really had a connection that she ...more
Collette
This book was really good. I enjoyed the mother's acting crazy and getting a conference cancelled well after it started.....they were off the chain. It had a lot of tangled stuff going on and it kept your eyes glued to the screen. Good reading.
Terry Dreuitt
Oct 18, 2008 Terry Dreuitt is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
i learned splitting up ur life as a church goer and a crazy home life, sometimes goes hand, and hand..
Prue
Really funny, well written and a real hoot as to how she characterizes and names her characters.
Shira Temple
So far a very funny book. I laugh all the time while reading this one
Chandra
So funny that I can't look at a York Peppermint Patty the same way!
K. Warren
Belly buster and as usual the Biblical principals.
Lynn
These old ladies in this book were tooo funny.
Elizabeth
Funny!! Churh ladies loose in Vegas!
Betty Wright
This was not a good read.
Renee Peace-carr
Renee Peace-carr marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Donna
Donna added it
May 16, 2015
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Sharifa
Sharifa marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Tera Kirksey-coleman
Tera Kirksey-coleman marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Jovanna
Jovanna marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sister Betty! God's Calling You, Again! Mother Eternal Ann Everlastin's Dead Cruisin' On Desperation No Ordinary Noel Don't Blame the Devil