Start by marking “Clark Howard's Living Large in Lean Times: 250+ Ways to Buy Smarter, Spend Smarter, and Save Money” as Want to Read:

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  520 ratings  ·  81 reviews
Clark Howard is a media powerhouse and penny-pincher extraordinaire who knows a thing or two about money. A lifelong entrepreneur who is now the hugely popular host of a talk radio program and television show and the bestselling author of several books, Clark consistently delivers expert financial advice to his wide and devoted fan base.Living Large in Lean Times is Clark' ...more
Published August 2nd 2011 by Avery

To ask other readers questions about Clark Howard's Living Large in Lean Times, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clark Howard's Living Large in Lean Times

Nancy
The Clark Howard Show used to air on a talk radio station I listened to on my way home from work late at night. The advice he gave was the same my dad gave me and my dad successfully retired a multimillionaire before the stock market crash. Still, Clark Howard had great advice for my day to day living as well as my investments and retirement. I was hooked.

In his new book, Living Large in Lean Times, Clark expands his penny pinching skills by providing more tech savvie sites and updated informati
Terri Lynn
I have mixed feelings about frugal living books. I like to save money as much as anyone but have certain standards I refuse to budge on.

Clark Howard would have me send my kids to community college (is he kidding or what?) instead of a 4 year college to save money (totally ignoring the fact that students can take dozens of CLEP and DSST tests for $80 each and get 3-12 college credits that can be transferred in to most colleges and can help one get a fully accredited Excelsior College degree- www
Lizpeveto
I watch him on HLN and wanted to read the book. There are good suggestions for better deals and financial savings; but may be a little long and wordy for the average consumer. There were a couple of "important tips" and one was about the difference in credit cards - personal cards and business cards. Personal credit cards have limited liability for unauthorized charges, i.e. due to theft. Business cards do not - make sure you read the small print or rely on a very informed and experienced banker ...more
Richard
List price of this book is $18 US. Of course, I bet Mr. Howard would recommend that you pick up a gently-used copy for a lot less! Or borrow a copy from your local public library (as I did). Regardless, I think most people will feel like Clark Howard delivers at least $18 worth of tips to save money and sources of information for common activities and interests. Not every chapter will hold value for every reader, and I admit to just skimming chapters that didn't apply to my immediate interests.

F
Jack Oughton
Advice aimed at Americans but a lot of it was relevant to me, living in the UK
Doug
Neat book, but nothing too amazing. I don't know what I was hoping for, but I didn't find it in this book. I picked up one or two little tricks that had a "Life-Hack" characteristic, but more often I found my self skipping through things that anyone my age would already know as commonsense.
The things I did find useful were the type of things you would read on a decent blog that could have explained the same thing in one paragraph instead of three pages.
I listened to this as an audiobook, which was a mistake because Clark Howard didn't read it! I'm amazed by this choice. Given that Clark is a beloved radio personality, how could anyone have thought someone other than Clark should read his book? Compounding my amazement was the choice of the narrator, who had one of these pompous narrator voices that did not fit with Clark's goofy, casual writing style that uses exclamations like "wow." Another problem is that a lot of the information/advice in ...more
Harold Cameron

Living Large in Lean Times is Clark's ultimate guide to saving money, covering everything from cell phones to student loans, coupon websites to mortgages, invest
Debra Daniels-zeller
Though I like watching Clark Howard in his nerdy polo shirt handing out scam alerts and frugal tips on TV, this book was simply not as helpful or as entertaining as Howard's TV show. I found this book up at the library, and I'd hoped to find some information on finance, investing and budgeting, but I didn't find anything helpful in that section. I think the main problem with this book is too many topics are covered superficially, when it would have been a better book if he explored less topics i ...more
L. Carrington
With the holidays only weeks away and many of us struggling in a tough economy, it’s not uncommon to have concerns about spending less, saving more, and avoid falling into pitfalls of being ripped off.

HLN television host and consumer expert Clark Howard shares our concerns and offers his expertise in his latest book, Clark Howard’s Living Large in Lean Times: 250+ Ways to Buy Smarter, Spend Smarter, and Save Money (Avery Trade, 2011). The book contains mostly common sense (cents?) advice, along
anexactinglife
I can always find something of value in a money tips book! I even find it useful to refresh my memory about tips I used to know or practice. All of these books are inspiring to me. Of course, some tips were specific to the US. I liked the chapter called "Clark's Graveyard," which lists many of his great ideas that later flopped!
Chris Miller
I used this book as a reference book; picking it up and putting it down as we planned our retirement. He gives a lot of good websites and tips for getting even more information. I keep it current on my Kindle so I can pick it up and read when I get a few minutes.
Kris
This is a great book for young adults in high school. Most of the chapters were common financial sense in my opinion, but for a younger audience, this book could be a lifesaver towards beginning a financially responsible path to success.
Christa who loves the library
I was left so disappointed by this book! I listened to the full version of this audiobook hoping to learn the secret to making my household budget stretch further. The book was redundant at times. How disappointed I was that much of his advice I have already known and/or have been practicing in my own life. I am not in favor of his advice that it is okay to buy poorer quality to save money. And I am so very disappointed that he did not mention visiting your local public library as a way to borro ...more
Beth
Clark Howard does a consumer affairs type radio show in Atlanta, and has written a couple of other books on this topic. This one is very good - he provides up to date information and general tips that would help any consumer. The book starts with a section of some of his best tips, and then there are separate sections on categories such as travel, education, transportation, banking & insurance, housing, how to find the best rates for phone, cable and Internet, etc. I learned a few new ideas. ...more
Amanda
I think this would be a great book to have on hand to use as a resource (before you buy a new car, tv, etc...) but it probably is outdated within five years.
Jonathan Minnick
Some outdated info, but a lot of very good moneysaving and budgeting/financial tips.
John Randall
Better treated as a reference than as a straight read.
Andy
If you enjoy Clark's money updates and tips on CNN, then you'll like this book. It's chock full of good hints and helpful web sites to assist your money management. I actually found some money that was owed to a couple of family members using one of the tips in the first chapter. Living Large also pointed me to the best sites to get my free credit reports and scores, and information the insurance companies keep in your profile (all free). Lots of relevant facts and data on how you can save money ...more
Nicole L.
This is a great book for people who are interested in living larger with less. Excellent tips for everyone who want to save money on EVERYTHING!!!! Highly recommended reading.
Brian
A lot of good tips. Listened to it and then looked up the things I wanted to follow up on in the ebook, nice combination.
Marc
Great book for anyone looking to save money easily! I figured it would be a simple rehash of what he talks about on his show...and a lot of it was. But if you haven't heard his show the information in this book will open up a whole new world for you. For people already familiar with Clark, there's so much more in this book that he can't cover on the show. It was nice to see the websites for the companies that are providing methods for saving us money.
Amy
I was already in love with this book by page 4, so the rest of it was just icing on the cake. I don't listen to Clark Howard, but I have seen him live at DPAC. I appreciate his miserly insights on how to save money on everything from TV to travel and internet to cars. What's not to like about a self-deprecating nerd giving the scoop on how he saves money everyday. I am tempted to buy this book just as a reference book in my money-saving arsenal.
Geysa
Some obvious advice and some that is just impractical or not worth the risk/work involved. A few gems about websites and new technology that I did not know about (e.g., learning about Google Voice). Quick read and could be useful as a reference when making major purchases but did not change my thinking on my financial plans. Oh, and he knows nothing about extreme couponing, which is my real money saver :)
Carol
Mr. Clark always has some great suggestions for saving. At the very least he makes me think about where those pennies and dollars go. This one, already a few years old may have some outdated websites and technology changes but there's always something that will help my pocketbook. Borrowed it from the library, worth a look-see!
Destiny
This was a long book, but very informative. Some things I knew about and others I did not. I enjoyed the scenarios and the straight talk. I took lots of notes and will be sharing the information with family and friends. I will also be utilinzing this important information. Priceless information for the frugal person.
Megan
This had lots of useful tips on ways to save money or spend your money better. A lot of his advice was not new (I have read similar tips in several other places), but some of it was new and useful to me. He had information on health credit reports, insurance reports, and such that I am definitely going to try.
Michael
I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I listen to his radio show on FM Talk 101.1 (NC), so the book repeats a lot of what he recommends on air. If you don't go to his website, or listen to his radio show or TV show, then the book would be a great thing to have for your own personal use.
David R.
If you're a regular listen to Howard's radio program, there's little here that's new or surprising. The book is fundamentally update of his earlier "Get Clark Smart" and is a collection of ideas for saving, cutting spending, and avoiding scams and ripoffs.
Jennifer Blake
Plenty of down-to-earth advice, but with the added value of dozens of links to useful webe sites. The author comes across as knowledgeable, honest and sincerely concerned about the financial well-being of his audience.
  • Be Thrifty: How to Live Better with Less
  • Brand Failures: The Truth about the 100 Biggest Branding Mistakes of All Time
  • Style on a Shoestring
  • The Money Saving Mom's Budget: Slash Your Spending, Pay Down Your Debt, Streamline Your Life, and Save Thousands a Year
  • Branded Beauty: How Marketing Changed the Way We Look
  • Debt-Free U: How I Paid for an Outstanding College Education Without Loans, Scholarships, Or Mooching Off My Parents
  • Art and Science of Dumpster Diving
  • Disciplined Minds: A Critical Look at Salaried Professionals and the Soul-Battering System That Shapes Their Lives
  • The Art of the Steal: How to Protect Yourself and Your Business from Fraud, America's #1 Crime
  • Street Freak: Money and Madness at Lehman Brothers
  • Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes And How To Correct Them: Lessons From The New Science Of Behavioral Economics
  • Arrest-Proof Yourself: An Ex-Cop Reveals How Easy It Is for Anyone to Get Arrested, How Even a Single Arrest Could Ruin Your Life, and What to Do If the Police Get in Your Face
  • All Your Worth: The Ultimate Lifetime Money Plan
  • In Fashion: From Runway to Retail, Everything You Need to Know to Break Into the Fashion Industry
  • Dealing with Difficult People
  • Ecological Intelligence: How Knowing the Hidden Impacts of What We Buy Can Change Everything
  • The Cheapskate Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of Americans Living Happily Below Their Means
  • Get a Financial Life: Personal Finance in Your Twenties and Thirties
Talk radio host and consumer advocate

More about Clark Howard...
Get Clark Smart: The Ultimate Guide to Getting Rich from America's Money-Saving Expert Clark's Big Book of Bargains: Clark Howard Teaches You How to Get the Best Deals Clark Smart Real Estate: The Ultimate Guide to Buying and Selling Real Estate Clark Smart Parents, Clark Smart Kids: Teaching Kids of Every Age the Value of Money Clark Howard's Consumer Survival Kit III

“I’d prefer that you get no refund at all. If you are getting one, it means that you’ve made an interest-free loan to the government and your money has been working for them—not you—all year long.” 0 likes