Start by marking “Writing with Style: Conversations on the Art of Writing” as Want to Read:
Writing with Style: Conversations on the Art of Writing

Writing with Style: Conversations on the Art of Writing

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  566 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews

This bestselling brief text is for anyone who needs tips to improve writing.

Writing with Style is storehouse of practical writing tips—written in a lively, conversational style. This text provides insight into: how to generate interesting ideas and get them down on paper; how to write a critical analysis; how to write a crisp opener; how to invigorate a dull style; how to

Published July 1st 2009 by Pearson Educacion (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Writing with Style, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing with Style

♥ Ibrahim ♥
It is rare that you read a book on writing with style without fearing that you are up for hard stuff and you would have to perk up your ears. Not so with our author here. He is so relaxed, laid-back, jolly and enjoys a great sense of humor. You read his book and it feels as if he is sitting across from you and sharing and you are ready to hear him for hours upon hours and never get bored. He is specific. He knows his stuff. He quotes the experts and the best of writers and what they have to say ...more
Mark Hiser
Jan 17, 2015 Mark Hiser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
I recommend this short book on writing. The author, John Trimble, wrote it as a quick-to-read "survival guide" for students. Trimble does not go into great detail nor does he examine the different modes of discourse. Rather, he discusses ways to think about non-fiction writing in general. For this reason, the book might be best suited for someone who has some writing experience.

What I most like about this book is that Trimble focuses on thinking like a writer rather than on following set formula
Jessica Zu
Aug 04, 2011 Jessica Zu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: howtowrite
Simply the best: for anyone who wants to challenge their creativity and to learn the pleasure of this hard work--writing. If you only have time to read one and only one book on writing, choose this one. You will not regret it. Besides, it's really short: less than 200 pages. On top of everything, it is amazingly readable--a paragon of non-textbook. No wonder the third edition is already out.

This book changed my view about composition courses; it convinced me the legitimacy of an English Departm
Christopher Pufall
This book is one of my all-time favorites on the craft of writing. It practices what it preaches in expounding an organic, personable, and authentic rhythm to one's writing. My binding is coming apart on my copy, having referred back to its various chapters many times, as fitting to particular need.

It covers the areas of readability, punctuation, quoting, and provides guidelines for expressing one's thoughts with conciseness and clarity, while cautioning against formalism that would sacrifice t
Ryan Trimble
May 22, 2014 Ryan Trimble rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read a handful of books on writing, this is my favorite. Trimble's style is so engaging and enjoyable and witty. He simultaneously explains stylistic concepts while demonstrating them. Non-writers would even enjoy this book; it's that well-written.
Alma
Jan 03, 2012 Alma rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: college
This is such a waste of paper. It did not offer any information I hadn't already learned by the end of freshman year of high school.
Sebastian Cosgrove
Assigned for class. did not help my writing.
Laura Verret
Apr 17, 2013 Laura Verret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-sale
Writing with Style is a survival kit; it’s helped me understand many of the problems I face as a writer and how to overcome them. But it’s also a tool-box; ready with a host of suggestions that bettered my writing in places I didn’t know needed improvement.

Mr. Trimble provides tips that make the actual writing process easier, but he also shows how to make our writing more effective. He encourages us to think beyond ourselves when we write; to not focus on whether a phrase sounds super-smart but
Bob Nichols
Nov 03, 2013 Bob Nichols rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Among writing books, this is the best I've come across. Trimble's focus is not on fussy rules and convention, but what makes sense, common sense, for clarity and communication. In approaching writing this way, Trimble frees the writer to take some liberties and be, perhaps, more creative and authentic.

Even so, Trimble has his own rules to be followed: be crisp and clear, save space, offer variety, freshness and surprise. "Delete" is a favorite mantra; avoid the "God-like Pose," the "Dogma of For
Jeannie
This book was the main text for my first composition class as an English major at BYU. That was more than 30 years ago and I still pull Trimble off the shelf when I need to teach certain concepts or just check my own writing.

Once in a while I like to just take Trimble down off the shelf and read him again. He applies the concepts as he teaches them, taking all of the drudgery out of learning the mechanics of writing. As a result, Writing with Style doesn't read like a text book. It's just a gre
Derek
Aug 22, 2015 Derek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great resource for anyone on this earth. I was originally quite skeptical--judging the book by its cover, you might say; however, my attitude changed as I came to realize that this book is the most conversational (and most useful) resource on writing I've encountered. Well worth the money spent, it is.
Audrey
May 06, 2014 Audrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-education
Not so much a nuts-and-bolts kind of book, but more conversations about writing itself: how to go about writing. There are also some tips about usage, punctuation and so forth, but mostly it gives ideas about the writing process.
Carlos Montijo
This is one of the best books I've read about writing. Unfortunately, I disagree with Trimble's endorsement of foul language. He evidently thinks profanity can make writers more expressive and "raw," and quotes other famous writers who use it unapologetically.

But foul language is inappropriate in any context (Prov. 4:24, 17:20, 19:1; Matt. 5:21-22, 15:11, 16-20; Ecc. 5:6; Eph. 4:29, 31-32; Col. 3:8; James 3:5-12). Rather than making him more sophisticated, refined, or expressive, foul language
Scott
Feb 24, 2015 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolute must-read for aspiring authors and English language aficionados. Trimble's seminal work takes us through the paces of GOOD writing: it's qualities and so-called rules, while featuring commentary from many of the great writers of the modern age. Thoroughly enjoyable and one of the most inspiring books I've had the pleasure of reading. My highlighter was busy!
Andrea
Sep 28, 2015 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great little book that I was first introduced to in a college writing class, but have referred to often since then.
Ronette
Best book on writing I have ever read. I picked up a lot of useful tips that I would hopefully be able to apply on my writing. I also like how it's not written in a tradition-textbook-ish style, the casual conversational tone made it a lot easier to read and to grasp on what Trimble is trying to say.
Jen
Aug 25, 2014 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book on writing that I've read.
Mary Anne
Nov 25, 2012 Mary Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, writing
This is a book that most writing instructors use in their classes. Thus, I followed suit and used it in my own writing class with college students, and I will certainly do so in the next semester. Trimble uses a lot of examples within each chapter, and the chapters themselves are short and not condescending. One thing I like is that Trimble didn't spend a lot of time on basic grammar and the like. The assumption is that students are mostly past that stage, and that's a fair estimation for the co ...more
Abby
Sep 02, 2015 Abby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are interested becoming a better writer, this is a great book to look into. I love how, as he tells his reader how to write, Trimble follows his own rules. He talks about the importance of thinking of your reader, and he gives advice on how to make the reader comfortable with tone, sentence structure, diction, etc., and at the same time, he is incredibly considerate of his own readers. His book is a wonderful example of the principles he is trying to teach. It is easy, short, and interest ...more
Travis
Jan 24, 2009 Travis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good. Though I like reading grammar books, there is always something ironic about them since they are written with grammar. It's kind of like trying to paint a painting about how to paint well. I find myself analyzing the writer's word and grammar choices at the same time I'm trying to pay attention to what he's saying. Overall this was Okay. I've read a few other books on writing and grammar that spoke more poignantly to me. I'll probably finish this on some late night in between books.
Jason
Apr 11, 2010 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up in a thrift store and discovered a treasure! It's clear and compelling, with engaging writing. The writing examples are pertinent and it's easy to see the point that the author is attempting to illustrate. It's written at a level where an average high-schooler or skilled elementary school student can understand, though the book probably wouldn't hold the attention of an elementary school student for long.

Trimble definitely practices what he preaches.

There is a newer edition.
Bob
Oct 31, 2009 Bob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite writing book. I have read many of them, but this one unifies and organizes the wisdom of the good ones and shows why some pieces of advice are wrong and other are worse-- wrong-headed. It shows the connection between morality and clear writing that John Gardner wrote about unclearly in On Moral Fiction and that nearly any sensitive reader feels when reading George Orwell's later work. E.B. White's essays come to mind- also Cheever's short stories and Thoreau's last writings.
HRH
Aug 27, 2014 HRH rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this in high school and my lack of writing experience meant that it went over my head. From my current perspective it was much more helpful and meaningful. The book details how to get your point across and basic grammar rules. A couple things (like the part about footnotes) are a little outdated but 99% of the information is still very relevant. The book, while not as exhilarating as, say, a novel, is entertaining. And it's short, which these sorts of things ought to be.
Alex
Sep 01, 2007 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students and Writers
Good writing must: 1. Say something worthwhile, and 2. Interest. Without the first, good writing is impossible. Without the second, nobody reads you: this book teaches both.

In a great contrast to high school English classes, this book teaches how to write with seductive creativity; through the proper preparation of ideas, simple drafting techniques, and revising tips and tricks.

After reading this book, I know my writing will never be the same: it will be better.
Faith Gutierrez
Aug 24, 2013 Faith Gutierrez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was also fortunate enough to have been a student of Professor Trimble at the University of Texas. We used this book in his class and it was superb. Just the right amount of information to give me insight into my own writing, and lots of motivation to improve it. He was, by the way, an excellent teacher. The kind you forever remember. To this day his teachings have stuck with me, and I still own my original classroom copy of this book.
Jen
Feb 07, 2009 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is for everyone - writers, non writers who are forced to write for school or work, or just for people messing around with words. The topics included everything from how to be concise, to using a "font door approach," to, my personal favorite, how to not "bleed." This book saved me in my intermediate rhetoric and comp class, and I put much faith in it. The examples are relevant and entertaining. Give this one a shot!
Elizabeth
Dec 23, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
There is a lot of useable advice in here, though it will be more pertinent to an undergraduate audience than a professional or graduate student writer. I like, especially, how the book combines advice on style and structure with other pragmatic advice about how to use quotes, punctuation, and often erroneously used/spelled words correctly. I'm hoping it will be a useful addition to my composition class next quarter.
Mr. Gordon
Aug 02, 2013 Mr. Gordon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading Trimble's Writing With Style felt like a conversation with a wise and helpful authority. While there were plenty of places that I disagreed with his advice (some of is formulaic approaches felt a bit stuffy), I could appreciate them in spirit. Trimble never prescribes; instead, I felt that he took me into his confidence and shared his very best. I enjoyed his selection of epigraphs and quotes as well.
Rory
Oct 10, 2012 Rory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For anyone who wants to improve their communication either written or spoken I highly recommend this book. My favorite part is the first few chapters before he gets into the practical measure of how to improve. With that I don't mean to imply that the rest is rubbish, which of course it is not. I just don't see how telling people to read the riveting chapter on punctuation is going to garner much interest.
Gina R. Evers
Jan 22, 2013 Gina R. Evers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm enjoying teaching this book to my LIT 101 students. Trimble's philosophies on writing are excellent tools for my students to employ while examining their own writing processes. Because the book is less directive then other writing texts, it's also fun to see my students' critical reading of the text rather than their skeptical adherence to what an expert writer tells them to do.
  • Writing with Power: Techniques for Mastering the Writing Process
  • Writing to Learn: How to Write--And Think--Clearly about Any Subject at All
  • Writing in General and the Short Story in Particular
  • Creating Short Fiction: The Classic Guide to Writing Short Fiction
  • Fiction Writer's Workshop
  • Writing Your Journal Article in 12 Weeks: A Guide to Academic Publishing Success
  • A Pocket Style Manual
  • The Weekend Novelist
  • Style: Toward Clarity and Grace
  • The Little Red Writing Book: 20 Powerful Principles of Structure, Style, and Readability
  • Writing the Natural Way
  • Creating Unforgettable Characters
  • How to Write a Children's Book and Get It Published
  • The Elements of Editing
  • Wishes, Lies, and Dreams: Teaching Children to Write Poetry
  • Setting: How to Create and Sustain a Sharp Sense of Time and Place in Your Fiction
  • Writing a Woman's Life