Start by marking “Ties That Bind (Madison Knight, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ties That Bind (Madison Knight, #1)

Ties That Bind (Madison Knight #1)

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,324 Ratings  ·  155 Reviews
Detective Madison Knight concluded the case of a strangled woman an isolated incident. But when another woman's body is found in a park killed by the same line of neckties, she realizes they're dealing with something more serious. Despite mounting pressure from the Sergeant and Chief to close the case even if it means putting an innocent man behind bars, and a partner who ...more
Published June 8th 2011 by Createspace (first published 2011)

Joan
This was okay to read but there was not much depth to the characters which was a shame as they had the potential to be very interesting. I was going to give it 2 stars, (which means I thought it was okay) but then I read this comment by the author at the end:

As for any errors you might imagine in spelling, punctuation or capitalization please accept this as the variance permitted with the existence of many conventions and styles of writing.

There are also times my characters may use incorrect gr
Notary Tim
This book has way too many typos (missing words, missing punctuation, some wrong word / punctuation choices) for a professionally written work. I don't know whether they are the result of poor editing in the ebook version on the Kindle (which is where I read this) or poor writing by the author. Who spells Sarge as Serg?

Beyond that, the motivation of Madison Knight (main character) for her behavior is too vague. Why does she keep hitting her partner on the shoulder? Why does she have such bad re
Carolyn Arnold
Dec 16, 2014 Carolyn Arnold added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
TIES THAT BIND follows Madison Knight and her partner Terry Grant, as they try and stop a potential serial killer, but it also pulls you into the forensic lab.

Similar in the investigative style to that of the acclaimed television show “Law & Order”, you follow through as if were watching the story unfold in front of you. There is limited swearing and graphic violence, and reviews have compared the writing style to JD Robb’s “In Death” series.
Debra
Detective Madison Knight is determined to find the killer who strangled a young woman. Since Knight has no love life, her boss demands quick results, and she failed to solve a previous case, the detective throws herself into the investigation. Meanwhile, her partner Terry’s personal problems are keeping him distracted, so a second murder only adds to the pressure for both of them.

Ties That Bind is a gritty police procedural that would have been better without the occasional POV shift to the vill
Muriel
Dec 22, 2014 Muriel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bad editing ruins a book for me every time. Despite the author's attempt to attribute any errors to the readers' imagination.
Lisa
Nov 21, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good read. The ending was the best so unexpected.
Stephanie
Jul 20, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
I liked this book in the beginning, because I was hopeful. By the end I was annoyed. It is entirely too predictable and the characters are hardly developed.

Unfortunately Arnold wasted a chance to develop a great character with Madison Knight. She should be interesting, and there are plenty of references to her past; however, nothing is developed. We hear about her ex-fiance, but we don't know why it ended, how it ended, if she still has feelings for him, etc. We never learn why she decided not t
K J Bennett
Nov 28, 2011 K J Bennett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meet Madison Knight, ace detective. She’s on the case of a potential serial killer who has a unique method of killing people, and she encounters almost as many red herrings as a trawler man on a long fishing voyage. She has a crime fighting partner who’s a little distracted, a sergeant who’s a bigoted bully and a police chief who wants results fast.

Let me state right now that I rarely read crime fiction, and when I do it tends to be written by Colin Bateman.

For the most part, Ties That Bind is
Frederick Brooke
In her middle 30s and single, Madison Knight is a detective in the fictional city of Stiles. The department is filled with men who give her too little respect, people like her Sergeant and her Chief, paper pushers, publicity seekers. Like most procedurals, this excellent story begins with the discovery of a body.

What sets Madison apart, besides the fact that she is a woman, is that she is after the truth. As the pieces start to fall into place, the men are quickly satisfied, but not Madison. Th
Jean
Dec 10, 2015 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Pleasure

This book has elements of a cozy mystery and of a police tale. I enjoyed reading it, even though I correctly guessed who-dun-it I believe Carolyn Arnold has the makings of a great author so I look forward to catching the next in the Madison Knight series.
Lorena Angell
Aug 01, 2011 Lorena Angell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ties that bind--First off I love book titles with double meanings and this one is certainly that. This is a great read for those who enjoy detective novels and chronological play-out, oh, and the excellent twists of skilled writers. I found myself trying to guess where this book was going only to be pleasantly surprised where it went. Without giving anything away, something that stuck with me since completing the book is Detective Madison Knight's reactions to viewing the deceased women her own ...more
Vigilant Reader
Dec 10, 2015 Vigilant Reader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tie's That Bind
Carolyn Arnold
Mystery, Detective, Police Procedural
79,900 Words
Rating 4.0 our of 5.0 posted 12/9/15

When a murder victim is found with a tie wrapped around her neck it's filed as an isolated incident. But when a second victim is found murdered with the same brand of tie Detective Madison Knight strongly suspects a serial killer is at work and anticipate more murders.
The relationship between Madison and her junior partner Terry added mostly good natured conflict. The two of them spa
Nancy Silk
Apr 16, 2014 Nancy Silk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"A Captivating Crime Novel"

This is a crime novel which will hold your interest right to the end. Detective Madison Knight and her partner of five years, Terry Grant, of the Stiles Police Department, are assigned to a murder investigation. This city, with a very large population has seen many severe crimes which keep the investigators extremely busy. The victim of the latest crime is 32 year old Laura Saunders, single, found naked and strangled on her bed with a Gallo & Costa silk necktie, no
C.C. Cole
Apr 10, 2012 C.C. Cole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Ties That Bind" features ace career-minded heroine Madison Knight, an investigator of a homicide, but when the number of victims increase, so does the complexity of the case and the suspects. This is an easy, entertaining read, perfect for readers that follow crime dramas. The editing errors noted in the negative reviews on amazon I didn't find as a big deal and to me didn't detract from the story itself. Four stars!
Dorothy Gagnon
Aug 21, 2014 Dorothy Gagnon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GREAT SUSPENSE!

GREAT SUSPENSE!

Exciting and thrilling novel of Madison Knight, an intelligent detective that puts her heart and soul into searching diligently for clues and prints, anything to help her and her partner bring the murderer to justice.

Many sleepless nights and intense pressure from her captain to find and end not just one murder but three, because a serial killer is still running loose. Just as they catch the suspect and are ready for a pretrial, something still doesn't seem right a
Pete Morin
Sep 07, 2011 Pete Morin rated it liked it
I enjoyed Arnold's dialogue quite a bit, and she's knitted a nice suspenseful story, but I felt that the narrative lacked punch in places. There were some problems for me with the plot, which I shall not mention, lest I be a spoiler.

All in all, a good read.
Paul
Jun 15, 2014 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually was enjoying this book, right up to the end. The plot was making sense, and both killer and motive were coming into focus. Then the author decided to play to one of the DUMBEST clichés in all writing. No spoilers here but SERIOUSLY the author just went off on a siderail and wrecked it.

Positives: the use of dialog was respectable, and carnage was handled well.

Negatives: stereotype characters ( cop with failing marriage, sexist and micromananging superior, lonely and heartbroken female
Kenneth Hoss
Jun 03, 2011 Kenneth Hoss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Carolyn Arnold pulls you into the world of Madison Knight and doesn't release you until the very end. I found myself unable to stop reading this book. A must read for the mystery fan. You will fall in love with Madison Knight.
Adrienne Testa
Comparing Madison Knight with Eve Dallas is like comparing apples and oranges. They are nothing alike, except they are women.
Madison Knight catches the case of a woman killed with an expensive silk tie, her partner Terry wants to close the case with the woman's ex boyfriend. Until two more bodies turn up. Madison continues to track the leads, talking to people until she finds the right killer. I struggled to read this story, it dragged with an uneven pace, partner issues and side tracked with un
Shirley Worley
Enjoyable read, but I failed to connect with the main characters. Madison eats, sleeps, and breathes her job and doesn't seem to have a relationship outside of her work. We really know nothing of her past or the reason she has issues with an ex-fiance in the story. She's extremely hard-working and driven, admirable traits, but she doesn't flesh out much from there. She seems to be all business, until she playfully punches her partner on the shoulder. Repeatedly throughout the book. Somehow, it d ...more
Morris Graham
Nov 24, 2015 Morris Graham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Detective Madison "Maddy" Knight is brought in on an unusual murder, a woman found naked and strangled with a high-end designer tie that has been discontinued for years. Follow her and her partner Terry as they follow false lead after false lead, and unravel the mystery which will surprise you. I especially liked the fact that the author has done her research. She has the endorsement of several law enforcement professionals as to the authenticity of the characters and processes.

Detective Knight
Ruth
Sep 14, 2011 Ruth rated it it was ok
I quit the book. It didn't capture my interest.
Quillracer
I have mixed feelings about this book. The story itself was good overall but…
1/ the author had her main characters fussing too much over clichés without a good explanation of why.
2/ Some dialog – who said what – was hard to follow.
3/ The author had more ways of saying people looked at each other than I’ve ever seen.
4/ I suspected the plot twist Arnold had near the end long before she revealed it.
5/ The main characters – experienced police officers – didn’t research their prime suspects beyo
Sheilagh Lee
Sep 01, 2011 Sheilagh Lee rated it it was amazing
This book a first in the Madison Knight series by Carolyn Arnold is a beginning look at the police detective and what makes her tick. As the story progresses we see the woman Madison Knight is and the lengths she goes for justice. Madison Knight is a kick –ass, hold no prisoners police detective. She has intelligence, attention to detail, charm and hard headed determination. Madison Knight is driven bound to her job and justice for the murdered victim. She like a lot of people has to fight bure ...more
Barb Lie
Dec 23, 2011 Barb Lie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Ties that Bind” is Carolyn Arnold”s first book in a possible long run series. “Ties that Bind” is about a female detective in a fictional city….Stiles. Madison Knight is the heroine of this story. Madison is a tough cop, single, in her 30’s, and is totally dedicated to her job. The story picks up very quickly, with Knight and her partner Terry immediately being pulled into a violent crime. The weapon was an expensive tie, wrapped around a woman’s neck.

Madison eats and sleeps her cases, though
Rick Bylina
Apr 16, 2012 Rick Bylina rated it liked it
Sometimes a person (or character) will just rub you the wrong way. So it is with Madison Knight in "Ties That Bind" by Carolyn Arnold for me. As a detective, Madison hates clichés as much as, well, seemingly most people. She is Kojak with a candy bar substituting for the lollypop but without the charm. Her attempts at empathy are mostly swallowed up as repetitious and muddled internal thoughts. She appears uncomfortable in her own skin, and I never knew if she was going to laugh or punch her par ...more
Ashley Fontainne
Welcome to the dark world that Detective Madison Knight is confronted with everyday. Full of sadistic, viscous criminals that possess no qualms about unleashing their demented fury on unsuspecting victims. A world traditionally dominated by men that requires a female to not only be extremely tough, but just as strong-willed and stoic as the men that she works with.

Enter Madison. A savvy detective that has the ability to roam around inside the mind of a killer yet remain untainted by the psychoti
Joanna Doster
Aug 15, 2012 Joanna Doster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Title: Ties That Bind (A Madison Knight Novel)
Author: Carolyn Arnold

Review By Joanna Lee Doster

Twisted Ties of Murder!

After reading the Madison Knight mystery, "Ties That Bind", I came away with the impression that Carolyn Arnold writes with tremendous precision and skill. The reader is immediately drawn in when the book begins with a mysterious murder and some puzzling and bizarre evidence that is found at the murder scene. Madison Knight and her mostly absentee partner, painstakingly try to pu
Collette Scott
Oct 19, 2011 Collette Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the first page to the very last, you will be on your toes.

For someone not too familiar with the workings of a police homicide investigation, this story will give you a whole new perspective on what goes on in the real world. No easy answers, not always a direct lead, oftentimes our police officials must sift through numerous lies and misleading information in what many of us would not have the patience to tackle. Ties that Bind tells a story in a methodically paced tale that you will find
Lucinda Rose
Dec 27, 2011 Lucinda Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to accept that I am indeed a mystery novel fan. I really couldn't go on denying it after ripping through it this mystery by Carolyn Arnold. Her police detective Madison Knight is a fan of Hershey bars and working herself to the bone. Like all good protagonists these days, she is faulted in an all too human way; hurt by love and life's bitter realities.

The opening lines of the novel tell it best:

Someone died every day. Madison was left to make sense of it.

Detective Madison tri
Gripping! 2 14 Oct 11, 2011 08:54AM
  • The Reluctant (Crayder Chronicles #1)
  • Past Imperfect
  • For the Helpless (Detective Kelly Lowe #1)
  • Silver Justice
  • Grave Situation
  • Hushabye (Kate Redman Mysteries, #1)
  • Digging Up Death (Mari Duggins Mystery, #1)
  • Killing Hope (Gabe Quinn #1)
  • Open Season (Joe Gunther #1)
  • Dead Of Winter (Louis Kincaid, #2)
  • A Dangerous Harbor
  • Kane
  • All the Blue-Eyed Angels (Erin Solomon Mystery, #1)
  • Irreparable Harm  (Sasha McCandless, #1)
  • Superbia (Superbia #1)
  • Disappear
  • Dead Wood (John Rockne Mysteries #1)
  • Broken Ferns (Lei Crime, #4)
CAROLYN ARNOLD is the international bestselling and award-winning author of the Madison Knight, Brandon Fisher, and McKinley Mystery series. She is the only author with POLICE PROCEDURALS RESPECTED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT.

Carolyn was born in a small town, but that never kept her from dreaming big. On par with her large dreams is her overactive imagination that conjures up killers and cases to solve. Sh
More about Carolyn Arnold...

Madison Knight (4 books)
  • Justified (Madison Knight, #2)
  • Sacrifice (Madison Knight, #3)
  • Found Innocent (A Madison Knight Novel)

“What was it with shorter men?  It seemed they had something to prove and did so by a hardened demeanor and expanded egos. ” 0 likes