Start by marking “Brewed Awakening: Behind the Beers and Brewers Leading the World's Craft Brewing Revolution” as Want to Read:

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Fine wine has always had its expert guides to taste and terroir. Why not beer? Funky, young, and smart, this is the ultimate beer geek's companion, covering everything from the homebrew renaissance to nanobreweries to many of America's preeminent beer events and festivals.

There's a revolution brewing among craft beer makers: They're reviving long-forgotten recipes, dosing
Published November 1st 2011 by Sterling Epicure

To ask other readers questions about Brewed Awakening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brewed Awakening

Jackie
This is a truly fun read! Brewed Awakening is a primer for lovers of craft brewing. The book hits first the basics (beer ingredients), and covers topics such as seasonal and organic beers before finally wrapping up with a chapter on cellaring beer and beer-pairing dinners. My fiance is a home brewer, and I spent every night for a week bugging him with "Have you ever had a gueuze?" or "Did you know beers with high ABVs cellar the best?" I also really enjoyed the stories of how small breweries beg ...more
Josh
Now, I know that there’s a lot of craft beer books out there. The trick these days isn’t to write about the topic well, but to approach it in a new, interesting way. I went into Bernstein’s book a skeptic (”joy, another *yawn* book about the growth of craft beer”), and came out a true believer.

The genius behind Brewed Awakening is that it doesn’t waste time covering topics explored by dozens of other beer books. Bernstein doesn’t devote chapters and chapters to the fall and rise of good beer in
Gregg
I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway. Thanks!

This is really a nice reference/history guide to micro, nano and craft brewing today. Learn the differences between the different types of beers available in ever-increasing markets. The author provides a wonderful explanation of hops and the wide variety of flavors and characteristics they bring to a beer. Learn about the new movement to bring back old recipes with modern twists, barrel aging vs. bottle conditioning, what differences t
Emily
This book is great... My Father is really into brewing every year, this book made his day!
Scott
Some really neat info in here. It's a good intro book to those interested in learning more about the variety of brewing more so than a book for those who know the difference between barley wine and strong ale. Still, some neat facts and just overall solid book. I mean, like actually a solid book: well bound, good photos, and the cover is a beer map! Sold. Only mentioned two St. Louis beers and rather briefly compared to the east and west coast breweries. Since the author hails from NY, I guess I ...more
Jimbot
As a lover of craft beers, this book was right up my alley. It starts off strong, with some concepts I'm really interested in such as ingredients. It hits those strong, with some excellent flavor descriptions, and the best chart of hops I've seen.
Reading this book feels like you are in a room of beer nerds and they are all welcoming you into the family and telling you their stories. And just like any party, that is exciting. For a while. There are a couple chapters in the middle that I struggled
Emilia P
A quick, thirst-piquing read -- it covered lots of craft-beer-related things, like ingredients (hops, yeast, barley, water, and all the additions possible), bottles v. cans, resurrecting old brewing traditions, and so forth. It was largely and not entirely smoothly a collection of Bernstein's essays and reviews for other publications, but, that said, it was really pretty cool -- and the yellowed/beer-stained page layout actually, surprisingly worked.

What I wanted from it, and didn't get, and tho
Bianca
Ever passed by the beer aisle and been drawn to the little-known, but mystical sounding, names and labels? Too afraid to give it a try? Check this book out so you can get a great introduction to craft beer. The author has done his research (what a hard life) and it shows in the product. He doesn't dumb everything down, but he doesn't try to make you feel like an idiot. I feel like this is a great introduction to the movement toward great tasting, unique, regional beers. At the end of each chapte ...more
Joseph
Pretty much an ode to beer geeks everywhere. I enjoyed the read, but didn't stretch my traditional beer knowledge much. I did however learn that other beer geeks consider the value and motives of 'big beers' and 'limited supplies', and that other brewers have cottoned on to the macro brewery set up. This book is like a big drunk hug from the beer geeks of the world.
Robert
A fun introduction to the world of craft beers and those that make them. A colorful and easy to read style and presentation. Many different brewers and and beers are introduced with many behind the scenes stories behind the brews. Great place to start if your new to craft beers or great place to bone up on your beer knowledge.
Drew
An outstanding overview of how beer has permeated the culture both domestically and abroad. Highlights both the technical aspects (hop variations, styles, brewing process) and people behind both the making and consuming of craft beer. A great read for anyone who loves beer and wants to educate themselves about the beers they drink.
Amy
I get the feeling this dude really likes IPAs. Too bad I don't.
Jonele
I don't drink beer, but I have family that does and two of them have been labeled Beer Snobs. But even if you don't like to drink it, this is still a very interesting book. I was even able to come away and tell them things about craft brewing they didn't know! And it's just amazing all the different types that are made, how they are made, the incredible variety of ingredients (the number of hop varieties!) And if you ARE a beer geek, you'll probably still learn things you dind't know and be insp ...more
Matthew Carlton
Brewing ain't no joke.

Brewed Awakening covers craft beer from loads of angles. Aside from the lists of beers to try at the end of each section, this book covers the buying, selling, tasting, making, and even cellaring of beers. It's was a great addition to my library considering I learned a lot about the different types of beers and expanded my list of brewed beverages to try.

Time to get started!
Grace
With beerfest celebrations popping up all over the country, Brewed Awakening is the perfect read for those looking to join the craft beer revolution. Bernstein covers it all, home brews, seasonals, organics and much much more. This is a must-have for the beer aficionado! Cheers!
Aaron
I was pleasantly surprised by Brewed Awakening. In addition to the requisite introduction to the varieties of grains, hops, beer styles, etc., the book also provides interesting beers to try along with other stories. Definitely worth your time if you're a home brewer or beer-fan.
Robynn
This is THE book about craft beer. Everything you could possibly want to know about beer from the history of beers to food pairings. I now know the difference between a saison and a witbier and I'm looking forward to teaching my taste buds what my brain now knows.
John Benson
I'd recommend this to people who enjoy craft beer but don't have a big picture understanding of how the various styles differ. Also includes chapters on homebrew, food pairings, festivals--the kind of book I wish I would have been given on my 21st birthday.
Richard Gombert
A good book.
I now have a lot more beers to look out for and try.
I was particularly interested in the chapter on Micro Brewing, Home Brewing and Nano Brewing, and of coarse some of the restaurants describe let my mouth watering.
Derrick
Not what I expected, but still interesting. The book presents a large overview of everything in the brewing realm so you get a little bit of everything. On the other hand, it doesn't go into detail on some of the things you might expect.
Adam Criblez
What a fun book. A light, refreshing look at modern-day craft brewing. From homebrewing, to nanobrewing, to types of beer, to beers-to-try. Only downside is that is ephemeral - some of the breweries highlighted might already be closed!
Scott
The quality of the writing is hit and miss. When Bernstein is relating a story or providing facts, the content is good and the writing fine. His too clever framing and introductions are hard to get through.
Suzanne

Entertaining...learned about new hop techniques. Of course, since most of my beer comes from the salvage store I'll hardly get to try any of them...but fun to read anyway.
Ryan Erickson

Great book for those who enjoy their beer. Not a book on how to make it... It's a book about it. A must read for craft beer lovers.
David Piccinati
A fast read with a lot of great information and entertainment value. It is a little bit disjointed in that there doesn't seem to a clear flow.
Mike
Entertaining and educational. Just beware... it can make you thirsty.
David Baker
Great book I can't wait to start trying his suggestions.
Justin Pauls
I love beer. That is all.
Yuki
Aug 24, 2011 Yuki marked it as interested
Recommended to Yuki by: Zagat
Release date: November 1
James Taylor
James Taylor marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
  • The Naked Pint: An Unadulterated Guide to Craft Beer
  • For the Love of Hops: The Practical Guide to Aroma, Bitterness and the Culture of Hops
  • Stone Brewing Co.'s Guide to Craft Beer: Recipes and Techniques from the Leading American Microbrewery
  • Microbrewed Adventures: A Lupulin Filled Journey to the Heart and Flavor of the World's Great Craft Beers
  • Beer Is Proof God Loves Us: The Craft, Culture, and Ethos of Brewing, Portable Documents
  • Brewing Classic Styles: 80 Winning Recipes Anyone Can Brew
  • Tasting Beer: An Insider's Guide to the World's Greatest Drink
  • The Oxford Companion to Beer
  • Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation
  • IPA: Brewing Techniques, Recipes and the Evolution of India Pale Ale
  • Brewing Up a Business: Adventures in Entrepreneurship from the Founder of Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
  • The Audacity of Hops: The History of America's Craft Beer Revolution
  • Travels with Barley: A Journey Through Beer Culture in America
  • Michael Jackson's Great Beers of Belgium
  • Ambitious Brew
  • Man Walks into a Pub: A Sociable History of Beer
  • Wild Brews: Culture and Craftsmanship in the Belgian Tradition
  • Absinthe: History in a Bottle
The Complete Beer Course: Boot Camp for Beer Geeks: From Novice to Expert in Twelve Tasting Classes Home-Brewed Gluten Free Beer: Make More Than 75 Great-Tasting Wheat-Free Beers