The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4)

The Alloy of Law (Mistborn #4)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  34,708 ratings  ·  2,607 reviews
Centuries after the Mistborn trilogy, Scadrial is on the verge of modernity - railroads, electric street lights, and skyscrapers. Waxillium Ladrian can Push on metals with his Allomancy and use Feruchemy to become lighter or heavier at will. After 20 years in the dusty Roughs, in the city of Elendel, the new head of a noble house may need to keep his guns.
Published November 8th 2011 by Tor Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Alloy of Law, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alloy of Law

Patrick
As always, after reading something by Sanderson, I find myself irritated at how good he is.

So let's take it as a given that the book has all the essential ingredients: character, plot, dialogue, mystery, and action. All of these things are there, some of them merely great, most of them included to exceptional degree.

What truly impresses me though, is that Sanderson has done something extraordinarily unique with this book. Something that just isn't done in fantasy.

First, Sanderson wrote the Mi...more
Gunner McGrath
Brandon Sanderson commented on this review via reddit! See below.

This review originally appeared on my book blog.

The original Mistborn trilogy was a masterwork of fantasy, artfully combining a cool magic system, detailed and lush worldbuilding, and a plot and characters that were incredibly enthralling, weaving them together so perfectly that every piece depended completely on every other piece.

Sanderson has spoken and written about his goal for the world he created: three trilogies, spanning m...more
Felicia
I mean...Sanderson is just amazing. He writes so well, his characters are SO well-drawn, you simply can't stop reading. There's a feeling of completeness in his plotting that makes you feel completely taken care of. The worldbuilding is stunning and vibrant and new...it's just, kind of ridiculous.

This is a followup in the world of Mistborn, but you DONT need to read the first three to understand what's going on (you should read them though, because it is icing on the cake as far as details.) Thi...more
Rabindranauth
Well, that was as fun a romp as they come. This is definitely Sanderson in peak form.

When Lord Edwarn Ladrian dies in an unfortunate accident in the mountains, Waxillium Ladrian, his nephew and lawkeeper out in the Roughs, becomes the only surviving member of House Ladrian. Returning home to the city of Elendel, Wax is faced with the daunting task of saving House Ladrian from financial destruction. A task that sees him arranging a marriage to Lady Steris Harms, a wealthy aristocrat. But when Ste...more
Carol. [All cynic, all the time]
I'm probably one of the only reviewers that hasn't read the rest of the Mistborn series, but I hereby claim Alloy stands just fine on its own. It's a fun, fast read with engaging dialogue. I finished Alloy after coming off a shadowy* low, and what a relief. Sanderson can write with skill, and even a supposedly 'toss-off' book like this is enjoyable. Fabulous job of showing, not telling, as well as avoiding the notorious fantasy/sci-fi info-dump.

The setting is vaguely steampunk, although the tech...more
Jonathan
Sep 05, 2012 Jonathan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mistborn readers, those who want to get into Mistborn

I can now officially state that Brandon Sanderson is my favourite living fantasy author. There is something he adds to his work that causes me to love it. The fact that he creates great novels regularly, with that essence that I admire and with powerful storytelling is a gift.

I had bestowed upon his work a rare five star rating for all his novels before reading this one. And I was a little anxious and wary that perhaps this would only be a four star novel, or maybe even a three star (forbid that...more
Anila
Fair warning: I am a massive Sanderson fangirl. This is a fair approximation of my behavior whenever I read one of his books:

I babble at people who have no idea what I'm talking about, I trip over my own feet and nearly down the stairs, I fling my arms around as if they are not attached to my body and can actually be thrown; I am loud and exuberant and wholly consumed by excitement and while I'm sure the extremely out-of-character nature of this behavior terrifies some people around me no end, I...more
Jakedecock
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my FINISHING THE SERIES! list.

I loves me a good series! But I'm terrible for starting a new series before finishing my last - so this reading list is all about trying to close out those series I've got on the go.

When I first heard that Sanderson had written th...more
Athena (Shardbearer)
Epic Buddy read with Robin & Alexa

Rust and Ruin! I loved this book!

Oh Wax, you're slowly working your way into my heart! Can't forget about Elend, can't forget about ELEND!!

I was so wary of reading this book, missing all of my characters from the last three, and thinking how I will get on without them. Well, Meet Lord Waxillium Ladrian, Sixteenth High Lord of House Ladrian, residing in the Fourth Octant of Elendel City. *heart explodes & dies*. He's the only heir to his uncle's estate an...more
Robin (Bridge Four)
4.5 Harmonic Stars The Brandon Sanderson Buddy Read and Epic Adventure continues with Athena and Alexa. I had so much fun reading this with these girls.

This is a fan’s book for sure. I loved every minute of it and all the references that wouldn’t have seemed important if you had not read the Mistborn trilogy first. It is 300 years since the rebirth and I have to say that some of my favorite things in the book are how the culture and religions of this time evolved around the characters that I lov...more
Eric Allen
The Alloy of Law
A Mistborn Novel

By Brandon Sanderson

A review by Eric Allen

I have to admit that after reading the overly long and generally pointless pile of crap that Patrick Rothfuss served us with Wise Man’s Fear and the literary abortion Terry Goodkind tried to pass off as The Omen Machine I was suffering from a near fatal case of lowered expectations coming around to the next book of the year that I was eagerly awaiting. My faith in the ability of writers to tell a good story, nay, in humani...more
David Sven
Oi! You! Yeah you, mate. Can you point me in the right direction? I’m off to the city of Elendel. I’m looking for my old partner Wax. Me and him are Lawmen out here in the Roughs. Well, I still am. Wax left six months ago. Girl trouble you know. Messed him up a bit. But he’s still the best Lawman to ever have slapped on a six gun and graced the wild fringes of the Roughs. Apart from me off course. I say graced because he always acted a bit Lordly you know. Probably on account of him being an act...more
Kevin Xu
I had high expectations for this book because it wss by Brandon Sanderson, but it was very disappointing. I found that this book should have been good because of how good The Mistborn Trilogy was one of my favorite trilogies of all times, but I guess streampunk just don't work with me. This book has too much of traditional streampunk elements that makes me feel that there is always going to have a mystery with a murder. I wish I never bought this book.
Rob
Executive Summary: A fun, but predictable story. Mr. Sanderson does a great job of adding a new layer of complexity to the excellent magic system from the original Mistborn series that should appeal to anyone who enjoys well defined magical systems. A few minor complaints, but overall very enjoyable.

Audio book: Micheal Kramer is an excellent narrator. This is the first time I've listened to him, and I hope it won't be the last. I actually met him briefly at a signing for A Memory of Light and go...more
Traci
This isn't what I was expecting. It is very different from the Mistborn trilogy. Almost as though another author is writing in the same world. Where Mistborn is epic fantasy with large world changing events The Alloy of Law is a smaller urban fantasy or more accurately a steampunk book. A smaller cast of characters and events.
I enjoyed every moment I spent reading. It's not genre changing. It's not brilliant. It's even somewhat predictable. But it's fun. A quick action packed book that reads be...more
Dawn
Think Mistborn lite... With a Wild Wild West twist.. Lots of guns.. And some mystery strangely reminiscent of Scooby-Doo thrown in for good measure.. And what do you get? The Alloy of Law. And you know what? Despite not being a fan of Westerns, and not being a fan of guns (I prefer good old fashioned swords), I still ended up really liking this! I was a little hesitant at first, it took me some time to get into the story, but once I was in the swing of things I was all about it. It's definitely...more
Becky
The Mistborn trilogy was the first experience I had with Brandon Sanderson, and I loved it. I loved the world, the magic system, the characters, the concept, everything. Loved it.

Now, revisiting the world after 300 in-story years and about 3 real-life years, during which time I read The Way of Kings (fantastic) and Elantris (pretty good), I find myself having something like mixed feelings about Alloy.

First, a little about the world itself. I was surprised how much I missed this system of magic...more
Alex
At the present I haven't put a star rating on this and I'm lurching between a 2 and a 3. That said, it did keep me up reading an hour past my bed time (which doesn't sound too long unless I add that I'd only had 2 hours sleep in the past 24 at that point).

So now in convinent list format....

What I liked:

An evolved fantasy world. Things change damnit.

Banter. There's some good talkin' in here.

Fast pace, good fix of action

Introduction - had a nice feel to it

Mysteries - I've recently got myself add...more
Scribbler King
I don't usually jump when I hear about books, even ones I've been looking forward to.

Completely out of the blue, I was hit over the head by the fact that BRANDON SANDERSON IS COMING OUT WITH A NEW MISTBORN BOOK!

As BRANDON SANDERSON is one of my favorite authors of all times, I think I have every right to make a bit of a fool of myself yelling about this.

I love the idea of a modernized world, and learning about more of the metals.

I. Can't. Wait.

!

AFTER READING

First of all, let me set you straight...more
Hanne
I know that not everyone likes what Sanderson did with his fourth Mistborn novel - but I absolutely LOVED it!(aye, with capitals!)

It's very different from the previous Mistborn books. He skipped 300 years forward, towards a time where they are building skyscrapers in the city, they have railways and trains, light and electricity has just been invented and the rich are installing it. In other words, it's kind of Steampunk in Mistborn-world.

But on top of that, this isn't a normal fantasy story, it...more
April
Brandon Sanderson is totally a fist pump author, meaning I can’t read one of his books without fist pumping a little, especially if allomancy is involved. I love when authors revisit universes they have created. The Alloy Of Law, Sanderson’s latest, returns to the world and magic system of allomancy imagined in the Mistborn trilogy, only it’s about 300 years later. The characters of Mistborn are now considered legends. Instead, we must content our selves with Waxillium Ladrian, law man and fully...more
Justin

I love Brandon Sanderson. I've read everything he's written for the adult market, from his first novel Elantris to his printing press busting The Way of Kings. His finest work to date is theMistborn trilogy which contains one of the best beginnings and endings ever done in fantasy. So, it is with great remorse that I must say his most recent Mistborn universe release, The Alloy of Law, isn't very good, or rather it's not nearly as good as everything else S...more
Vicky
I really, really liked this book, but didn't give it five stars for a couple reasons. First off, it wasn't long enough. Compared to other books Sanderson has written, this is a short book. Some characters and their back stories could have been fleshed out more. Same with the references to religion. I was hoping for an index in the back where I could look up some of the names people were throwing around (ex: the Survivor, the Ascendant Warrior etc). And how the heck do you get people who are dece...more
Mike (the Paladin)
I feel like I should create another shelf for this..."Urban Fantasy, sort of".

This is I believe going to be an interesting book not only to read but to check reviews on and see "who likes which" best. I read the first of The Mistborn series a while back. I liked it well enough, and ended giving it 4 stars. That's a great rating from me. It was a good read and I thought that at some point I'd move on and complete the series. I didn't however run right out and snap them up.

This book I liked more....more
David
Feb 27, 2013 David rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Allomancers, Feruchemists, fans of relentlessly average steampunk
I can't rouse myself to feel strongly enough about this installment to post a particularly long or detailed review. Brandon Sanderson is something of a comfort read, I guess - I'm not that impressed by his writing, but he's not actively bad, and there's a certain dorkish appeal in his complex rules-heavy worldbuilding and his archetypal characters who have personalities that, like the action scenes, read as if they started as GURPS character sheets.

The Alloy of Law is a sequel to his Mistborn tr...more
Laurel
I know that Sanderson is credited for many skills as a writer. His world building, his imaginative magic systems, the complex story lines are all amazing. However, in my mind, it is in his characters that he becomes truly exceptional! Find a weekend where you can read uninterrupted, and allow yourself to fall completely in love with Wax, Marasi, and Wayne!

One of the greatest books I've read all year! Please, Mr. Sanderson. Write it's sequel soon!
Teri Pell
VERY MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD!

I'd really rate this a 3 1/2, but I'm rounding up for the sheer fun of Wax/Wayne's dialog (nice play on names, Brandon, I LOL'd.)

First, the positive:

The aforementioned Wax/Wayne dialog was reminiscent of Josh Whedon's zippy tit-for-tat (a'la Firefly or Buffy) banter. In fact, I described this book to my husband as 'Mistborn meets Firefly meets Sherlock Holmes (the acerbic, Robert Downey, Jr one).'

The fight scenes were amazing (if possibly a BIT overlong?) While I was...more
Mark
Well, that was a fun and thoroughly fast read. In the Mistborn universe plus three hundred years, the world has moved on, the heroes have become central religious figures of legend, and now it's approximately like the 1910s or something like that. A man named Wax, a Wild West sheriff, comes back in from the Roughs to take his place as the head of a house in the big city, but it turns out the city has its own game going on, with even bigger stakes.

All of the big problems with Sanderson are on dis...more
Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

I loved Brandon Sanderson’s MISTBORN series, so I was excited to learn that he was publishing another novel set in the MISTBORN world. The Alloy of Law takes place a few hundred years after the events in the original trilogy. By this time, society is in the midst of an industrial revolution and is expanding into uncivilized frontier lands, making The Alloy of Law, I suppose, a Western Steampunk or Weird West tale.

A minority of citizens still inherit Alloma...more
Mistborn RP: The Alloy of Law 1 17 Oct 03, 2013 06:36PM
Brandon Sanderson: Alloy of law Afterthoughts 6 90 Feb 04, 2013 04:49AM
Fantasy Book Club...: * Alloy of Law-Finished?? Spoil Away! 23 164 Jan 18, 2013 08:11AM
  • A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time, #14)
  • Heir of Novron (The Riyria Revelations, #5-6)
  • The King's Blood (The Dagger and the Coin, #2)
  • The Black Prism (Lightbringer, #1)
  • The Crimson Campaign (The Powder Mage, #2)
  • The Daylight War (Demon Cycle, #3)
  • First Lord's Fury (Codex Alera, #6)
  • Red Country
  • House of Chains (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4)
The newest Cosmere story, “Sixth of the Dusk,” is available now in Shadows Beneath: The Writing Excuses Anthology .

Brandon Sanderson was born in 1975 in Lincoln, Nebraska. As a child Brandon enjoyed reading, but he lost interest in the types of titles often suggested to him, and by junior high he never cracked a book if he could help it. This changed when an eighth grade teacher gave him Dragonsb...more
More about Brandon Sanderson...
Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1) The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2) The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3) Elantris (Elantris, #1)

“The mark of a great man is one who knows when to set aside the important things in order to accomplish the vital ones.” 110 likes
“Wayne: You wanna know why I really came to find you?

Waxilliam: Why?

Wayne: I thought of you happy in a comfy bed, resting and relaxing, spending the rest of your life sipping tea and reading papers while people bring you food and maids rub your toes and stuff.

Waxilliam: And?

Wayne: And I just couldn't leave you to a fate like that...I'm too good a friend to let a mate of mine die in such a terrible situation.

Waxilliam: Comfortable?