Left with the Dead (The Gathering Dead, #1.5)

Left with the Dead (The Gathering Dead #1.5)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A "Gathering Dead" Novella

New York City has fallen to the zombie horde. The greatest city on Earth, once home to millions of Americans, is now firmly in the grasp of the dead.

First Sergeant David Gartrell is cut off and alone in the city, miles away from the nearest military units which might be able to assist. With his ammunition almost depleted, the only thing that stand...more
Published June 12th 2011

World War Z by Max BrooksZombie Fallout by Mark TufoZombie Fallout 2 by Mark TufoZombie Fallout 3 by Mark TufoZombie Fallout 4 by Mark Tufo
Best Zombie Books
176th out of 924 books — 2,180 voters
World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
147th out of 1,122 books — 3,415 voters

More lists with this book...

Vincent Hobbes
Best $1.99 I've spent in awhile. This novella is a continuation of The Gathering Dead. It follows one man who is now alone and scarcely armed in the zombie infested New York City.

I felt this book (novella) was even better than the Gathering Dead. It had non-stop action, and quite the twist at the end. I was rooting for the character the entire way through, staying up late to finish it.

Mr. Knight has once again entertained me and I highly suggest his work to anyone who likes zombies.

-Vincent
Stephen Knight
Jun 20, 2011 Stephen Knight rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I loved it...since I wrote it!
Brandon
After drinking a Starbucks triple shot vanilla soy latte I picked up on my way home from work, I, interestingly enough, wasn't too sleepy when bedtime came around. This little Novella was just the right length for a quick hour read.

I guess it was worth getting, just to find out what happened to one of the main characters in the Gathering Dead. Pretty much in the exact same line as that book too.

Found out that a true sequel to the Gathering Dead is in the works, and Stephen Knight is planning on...more
Jairus Reddy
This novella begins where The Gathering Dead left off. Absolutely amazing writing. Action packed adventure. I purchased the next two books. in my opinion, Stephen Knight is the best action/zombie writer out there at the moment. Five stars without a doubt. Read the Gathering Dead and you'll be hooked, then read Left With the Dead.

Jairus Reddy
Rose
I assume those who read this novella have read The Gathering Dead. If not, please do and then read the novella again. Action packed and more exciting than any movie I can remember.
Keith Blackmore
This follow-up novella is even better. My full review is on Amazon.com, but I'll just add that Mr. Knight is now my go-to guy for quality, high octane zombie action.

Olee B
This is a book for military enthusiasts who are willing to overlook the verbosity of almost info-dumping dialogues and the sprinkling of informal speech in third person narrative for a fast paced Zombie killing story. The protagonist is a well prepped weapon savvy soldier with legit access to all things that goes rat-a-tat-tat and kaboom - no pew pew though because this isn't sci-fi, but that's open to debate - and I believe this character and his background is the role of choice for most dude f...more
Crystal Michallet-Romero

I’ve noticed that reading zombie tales is a lot like reading fan fiction. Sometimes you find some really good gems, and sometimes you find work that gives you the urge to bang your head against a brick wall until all of your senses are numb. Now, I’m not a snob and often times I’ll give a novel a chance before making up my mind. If the story is compelling I can even over look bad editing. I’ve overlooked typos, spelling errors and grammatical mistakes if the story plot is compelling. This novel...more
Jessica Kong
This story was great! It takes zombies to a complete different level of scary. When a zombie remembers where he lives and opens the front door with his keys, then you know you are in serious deep doodoo. These zombies are not only hungry, but smart. Way out of my comfort zone. I’m off to read the next!
Wayne Lavallee
Not what you would expect

excellently written wish it would have been longer this is my first Steven Knight book and can not wait to read a full book to see if his writing can keep me interested.
George
I keep going back and forth between three and four stars. My main feeling is that I really did enjoy the exploration of the character Gartrell. I did not enjoy how the author keeps switching his slang for "zombie". I feel one or two alternates would be good but there were at least 5. I guess what bothered me the most is referring to them as ghouls. I mean ghouls are entirely different creatures in my mind. In the end I think that isn't enough to diminish how well written the story was. The pacin...more
Heidi
Quick easy read that one could finish in a afternoon. His books read like a Zombie movie but you do ask yourself two questions after your finished.
1. How would you survive
2. Would you want to live in a world were the dead wall?
I enjoyed the book.
Abby Miller
An amazing sequel (novella) to Stephen Knight's The Gathering Dead. This writer was suggested by a dear friend, and I'm totally in love with Mr. Knight's work thus far. Will continue reading.
Helen
Never expected a zombie book to be quite so good. A short, quick read which kept me on the edge of my seat the whole way through!
Jeff Fuller
Nice to see a loose end cleaned up, but I didn't like the ending. Loses 2 stars for that.
Wade Newman

Great quick read.
Ralph Meta
This was awesome!
Seyma
Seyma marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Susan Hagy
Susan Hagy marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
City Of The Damned White Tiger The Gathering Dead (The Gathering Dead, #1) Left With The Dead (A "Gathering Dead" novella) Hackett's War