Start by marking “The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)

The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events #5)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  101,903 Ratings  ·  2,602 Reviews
Free Delivery if order value from the seller is greater than 399. Used Book in good condition. No missing/ torn pages. No stains. Note: The above used product classification has been solely undertaken by the seller. Amazon shall neither be liable nor responsible for any used product classification undertaken by the seller. A-to-Z Guarantee not applicable on used products.
Published January 2002 by Egmont (first published August 8th 2000)

Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
I loved this book because the kids are taken to a boarding school where they actually make friends! They meet The Quagmire Triplets and they all hit it off so good until Count Olaf messes things up again !!
Mark Lawrence
Another decent read with Celyn. It seems that The Miserable Mill may have been the low-point of the series as this volume is an improvement. The formula is applied once more, but with a slight variation in that the Baudelaires find friends of their own age and this alliance faces Count Olaaf with predictably grim consequences.

What steps this up from the previous book is a return to the established level of surreal, i.e. marked but not extreme. In The Miserable Mill we had Sunny fighting a sword-
Vanz
Jan 20, 2017 Vanz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
4.4

The best ASOUE book I've read so far. I love how the story is starting to have a bit of depth in it. For instance, we were introduced to the Quagmire twins (supposed to be triplets) who were also orphans whose parents died in a fire along with their third sibling. Vice Principal Nero was also very despicable, as well as the cheeky Carmelita Spats. Basically, the misfortunes of the Baudelaires are getting worse in every book. The vocabulary was excellent, it has characters that could potenti
Jason Koivu
Feb 27, 2009 Jason Koivu rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Oh, oh! This is the one where the orphans get thrown into a difficult situation and are overseen by a caretaker who just doesn't care, allowing the evil Count Olaf to get at them...like deja vu all over again.

In The Austere Academy the Baudelaire kids end up at a school, which should be good news, because they love the learning, but of course it's not good. It's never good.

I stopped reading the series for a good long while at this point. Although the quality of this one is slightly higher than t
Kat Thomas
Mar 01, 2011 Kat Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a series these books are incredible. The formulaic plot that is repeated in every book satisfies the child who is being read to's expectation of what's going on, right and wrong and the band of simple characters.

Where the books become really clever is the additional bits of plot woven into the anecdotes, dedications and acknowledgments, written for the older reader, whether parents reading aloud or older children.

The humour is clever, beautifully insightful and infinitely quotable. Type Lem
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Quote from Lemony Snicket-"a good night's sleep helps you perform well in school, and so if you are a student you should always get a good night's sleep unless you have come to the good part of your book, and then you should stay up all night and let your work fall to the wayside, and flunk" lmao
Kai
Jan 14, 2017 Kai rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
“Friends can make you feel that the world is smaller and less sneaky than it really is, because you know people who have similar experiences.”

This was better than The Miserable Mill, mostly because of the Quagmire siblings.
This doesn't change the fact that it's one of the most tiring series ever. It is comical how depressing these books are, but a little change here and there wouldn't hurt. On one hand I really want to finish this series, on the other I really don't want to read about Olaf trick
Liam
Jan 23, 2017 Liam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not surprised I was so addicted to these books when I was younger, they're super addictive! When season 1 of the Netflix show ended where it did I literally had to reread this because I can't wait much longer for the next season!!

Feel like this book's plot is quite simple compared to the others and not a great deal happens, but Count Olaf's wicked plan still hit me hard. I found myself getting pretty emotional at times because we get to see the Baudelaire's happy with their new found friends
Lauren
This is possibly one of my favorite books in the series. It was kind of different. I liked the new setting and the new characters. Also, it was quite mysterious. Can't wait to start the next book!
Ashley Daviau
Jan 22, 2017 Ashley Daviau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books are so addictive, I'm totally absorbed in the Baudelaire's world and I'm absolutely loving it! Despite these books being totally depressing and grim, I just can't get enough of them! I especially enjoyed this book because it introduces the Quagmires and V.F.D. which adds a whole new aspect to the series. And I still can't get over how ridiculously blind the adults in this series are, it's quite hilarious actually! I've said it in a review for one of the previous books in the series b ...more
Kate (GirlReading)
3.75* this was a really fun read! I definitely enjoyed it more than book four, it didn't feel quite so dreary and I loved the fact that the siblings finally have someone on their side! It was nice that the plot wasn't quite so similar as the previous few books and I'm excited to see how it continues on from here, as it feels as though this is the first book in the series so far to have left off on a lightly less conclusive cliff hanger!!
Richard Denney
Mar 29, 2016 Richard Denney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 STARS!

A little better than The Miserable Mill but it did have some chunky boring bits that really could've been scrapped. I did like that there was this little mystery thrown in near the end of the book that intrigues the hell out of me and now Count Olaf has kidnapped the Quagmire triplets and will be using them for his insane fuckery filled operations I presume. Those two things I'm excited to see develop in book 6 which I will be starting soon. Carmelita Splats thooooooooooooooo! someone
Carlos.
Jan 22, 2017 Carlos. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Para Beatrice: siempre estarás en mi corazón, en mi mente, y en tu sepulcro.

What can I say, me encantan estos libros.
Elaina
Feb 26, 2017 Elaina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I did like this book more than some of the others in this series...Of course, I was still irritated by some of the same things that happened in previous books...(Just so you know, a lot of these basically have the same plot lol :P, but they are pretty fast reads to me so I figured I might as well finish the series lol) But I'm glad the Baudelaire children at least have some friends in this one that help them with Count Olaf's evil schemes.
Julie
I really do love Lemony Snicket. Reading this just brought up so many feelings from childhood. Real review to come eventually.
Kristin
Jul 12, 2015 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably my favorite of the series so far.
Wigs
Dec 22, 2015 Wigs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd like to mention that I liked this better than the others so far. With the addition of the Quagmires I felt like there was more at risk than before and I felt more emotionally invested.

BUT.

I have a qualm and that is this:

The whole plot of The Miserable Mill revolved around Klaus's glasses and we were told he can't do anything or see without them.

So how is it, that after he lends his glasses to Duncan Quagmire for the night, he is able to spend all night studying and memorizing facts in the no
Tisha
Feb 05, 2017 Tisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The starting was a bit less depressing from the other books of the series as the Baudelaires got to meet the Quagmires. But if you have read the other book of this series, you already know that nothing good can happen to the Baudelaires! Yeah, the unfortunate event continues....
I wanted to stop here for now, but the little V F D twist has already got me! Now I must read the next book!

P.S. I hate Mr. Poe more than Count Olaf! ফালতু লোক একটা! :|
Nicholas Karpuk
Much like The Miserable Mill, Austere Academy finds Lemony Snicket showing that he set up his formula for the series partly to screw with the reader by changing them up occasionally.

Whereas book four featured very little Count Olaf until the end, with the orphans anticipating his appearance through the bulk of the story, book five introduces him fairly early as a gym teacher. What really amused me is that by this point the orphans are actually learning something. Instead of blurting out, "there'
Titilope
Jun 26, 2011 Titilope rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read A Series of Unfortunate Events in order; so this was the first book I read, and I liked it. I liked it a lot. In fact, I liked it so much so, I read all the other books, attempted to draw Count Olaf, watched the film and I get seriously defensive if anyone dares to insult the books.

These books are often branded as being for children. I'm not really sure I would brand it as just being for children. It will definitely appeal to children, but I think to fully understand the humour in
Kimberley doruyter
you would think a grown man would get tired of being bested by 3 children.
C.W.
Mar 09, 2016 C.W. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
3.5. Better than the last! I liked the setting quite a bit and found many new characters to be quite infuriating. Lemony Snicket's writing is as funny and fun as ever.
Lauren
May 19, 2017 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Just wow.

Review to come!
Jam
Apr 20, 2017 Jam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
[screams continuously for 5 hours]
Simona Stoica
Jan 24, 2017 Simona Stoica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simona, seria se numește A Series of Unfortunate Events... de ce te-ai bucurat că își fac prieteni? Chiar nu ai învățat ceva din romanele precedente?
Alex
May 03, 2012 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part of the Great ASOUE Re-Read of 2015.

I think this is the first truly fantastic book in ASOUE. There's the sense of deeper story threads afoot here, rather than this just being another "oh la la la, our guardian sucks" story. We get the Quagmires. I love the Quagmires. I love how we get the first moment in three books when the Baudelaires are truly happy, and that's because they have friends their own age. Duncan and Isadora are a little flat, sure, but they're also kind. These children are st
Bruna Miranda
Jan 09, 2017 Bruna Miranda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
As histórias estão ficando mais elaboradas, ainda bem! Nesse volume os Baudelaire vão para a Escola Preparatória Prufrock e parece que cada vez mais o autor fingi dar esperanças que as coisas vão bem ou estão dando certo. E aí aparece o Conde Olaf. E personagens bizarros. E Carmelita Spats.
Todos os livros tem a mesma fórmula, até agora, mas nesse eu senti mais complexidade e parece que uma nova aba sobre a vida dos Baudelaire e Conde Olaf vai começar - tomara! No geral, continuo gostando muito e
Georgina Ortiz
Apr 10, 2012 Georgina Ortiz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Favorite word definition: The waning light of the sunset--the word "waning" here means "dim, and making everything look extra-creepy"--made the shadow of the coach's turban look like a huge, deep hole.
Asha
Jan 31, 2017 Asha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I was more than a little upset about what befell the Quagmire triplets and their notebooks. But it's not as if I didn't know what was coming. On a happier note, I thought it was just the funniest thing when Vice Principal Nero made Sunny his secretary.

The Neverlanders: The Austere Academy - Goodreads Discussion 2 15 Mar 24, 2015 01:41PM
The Neverlanders: The Austere Academy - Voxer Discussion 1 10 Feb 02, 2015 05:58AM
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • Molly Moon Stops the World (Molly Moon, #2)
  • Dial-a-Ghost
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • The Ironwood Tree (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #4)
  • If You're Reading This, It's Too Late (Secret, #2)
  • The Wright 3 (Chasing Vermeer, #2)
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • The Edge Chronicles 5: Stormchaser: Second Book of Twig
  • The Doll People (Doll People, #1)
  • Cupid Doesn't Flip Hamburgers (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #12)
  • The Tenth City (The Land of Elyon, #3)
  • The Sea of Adventure (Adventure, #4)
  • The Spiderwick Chronicles: Care and Feeding of Sprites (Spiderwick Chronicles)
  • Theodosia and the Eyes of Horus (Theodosia Throckmorton, #3)
  • The Summit (Everest, #3)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Curse of Moustache Mary (Sammy Keyes, #5)
  • The Warning (Animorphs, #16)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)

“Assumptions are dangerous things to make, and like all dangerous things to make -- bombs, for instance, or strawberry shortcake -- if you make even the tiniest mistake you can find yourself in terrible trouble. Making assumptions simply means believing things are a certain way with little or no evidence that shows you are correct, and you can see at once how this can lead to terrible trouble. For instance, one morning you might wake up and make the assumption that your bed was in the same place that it always was, even though you would have no real evidence that this was so. But when you got out of your bed, you might discover that it had floated out to sea, and now you would be in terrible trouble all because of the incorrect assumption that you'd made. You can see that it is better not to make too many assumptions, particularly in the morning.” 995 likes
“There is no worse sound in the world than someone who cannot play the violin but insists on doing so anyway.” 583 likes