Start by marking “I am Better Than Your Kids” as Want to Read:
I am Better Than Your Kids

I am Better Than Your Kids

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  523 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
From the New York Times bestselling author of The Alphabet of Manliness comes I Am Better Than Your Kids, an outrageous, laugh-out-loud critique of children’s artwork that finally cuts those smug little know-it-alls down to size.

Maddox is the New York Times bestselling author of The Alphabet of Manliness, the creator of “The Best Page in the Universe,” and a genius.

Maddox
Published November 1st 2011 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about I am Better Than Your Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I am Better Than Your Kids

karen
Nov 10, 2011 karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-laughter

i know, i know - i should not be supporting people who are one step above tucker max in their bombastic masculinity. but dammit if this book didn't make me laugh out loud on a number of occasions.

yes, it is almost too easy - take children's drawings (some of whom are only 5 years old) and criticize their treatment of perspective, spelling, logical absurdity, etc. but it is also very, very funny - if the person doing the critiques is themselves funny. and all other shit aside, this man can make
Andrew
Oct 24, 2014 Andrew rated it did not like it
Shelves: literature
I'm happy to see that many people enjoy this book because I'd love to see Maddox be successful and producce more work. However, I didn't enjoy this book. The jokes wore thin after the first couple pages. I read his original critique of children's artwork many years ago on his website and I think that is all it should have been: a very funny blog post.

I haven't read Maddox in a few years now, not since I was in highschool and I fear that I've "outgrown" his humour, or rather his, perhaps pedestri
Alyson
Nov 08, 2011 Alyson rated it it was amazing
This book made my life.
Nick
Sep 30, 2014 Nick rated it it was amazing
This is probably the meanest book I've ever read - it's a treasury of children's art getting mercilessly critiqued, and really, if you read that sentence and thought it sounds funny, you can just stop reading here and go out and buy it. For those of you recoiling in horror, let me just say that the book is so mean that it circles around to being hilarious, with my absolute favorite parts being the author highlighting drawings (for example, by making a hideous crayon drawing of a superhero into a ...more
Daniel
Dec 03, 2015 Daniel rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

Some of the jokes are underwhelming, but others made me fall off my seat.
Kyle
Jan 01, 2012 Kyle rated it really liked it
The book had me laughing every now and then and was a good fun read. Easy to pick up and put down whenever. Maddox does a great job of telling it like it is and commenting on unintended physics/logic flaws. My only problem with it is that for every gem there is about 10 kinda funny ones and another 5 that aren't funny at all. You will probably find yourself going through a page every 10 seconds, which translates to a short read.
haripriya
Feb 24, 2012 haripriya rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: The NOT quick to take offense
This is a single-note acerbic critique of children's "artwork" by the merciless Maddox for *evil*adult amusement. The juvenile humour and complete lack of sugar-coating makes it an ideal bathroom/coffee-table book for those who dig satire... and will leave you in stitches(You have been warned!)
Jill
Mar 09, 2012 Jill rated it really liked it
I used to go to his website all the time and pee myself reading his comments about the kids' artwork. And here it is in Book Form!

***

It truly didn't disappoint. He's mean, and I love that about him.
Michael Emond
May 21, 2012 Michael Emond rated it it was amazing
It is very hard to find books that make me laugh out loud and this book did just that. Some people seem embarrassed that they found it funny but I don't see why. I didn't take it at face value that Maddox was making fun of children but rather (I believe) he was taking on a persona of someone who would make fun of children (kind of like Triumph the Insult comic but for children). The humour in this is top notch and even though the premise seems to be one joke Maddox manages to create enough varia ...more
Jason Luu
Apr 22, 2014 Jason Luu rated it liked it
I am Better Than Your Kids by Maddox. Does being tongue a cheek let you get by with publishing an entire book based on ridiculing kid's artwork? Not really, Maddox is an asshole. Is he right in that offering kids nothing but unending disingenuous praise stunts them from creating better art? Probably. Most importantly, is the book funny? Honestly, there were a few critiques that had me rolling with laughter, but these account for about 5% of the book. Like Alphabet of Manliness, the concept is fu ...more
Taylor Badesheim
Feb 05, 2015 Taylor Badesheim rated it it was amazing
Mean spirited, foul, crass and totally inappropriate. It's also one of the funniest things I have ever read. Maddox is sardonic and cruel, yet tremendously hilarious. The pictures in this book are awful, but it's Maddox's commentary that really makes it worth while.
Angel Gardner-Kocher
This book based on a blog, would probably be better to remain as a blog, just like the LATFH, Crap at My Parents House, Regretsy, and many other blogs that turn their posts into books. It's a quick read that gets big laughs, although it's pretty obvious that some of the submissions have made up ages slapped onto it (the author admits to names being changed), because I haven't meant numerous 4-5 year olds writing legible words with more than one or two syllables. I've found that books based on bl ...more
Clayton Reese
Jan 05, 2016 Clayton Reese rated it it was amazing
If you like a lot of laudatory insults directed at children's artwork, this is for you.
Michael Tuggle
Oct 18, 2015 Michael Tuggle rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! Like, make you laugh until you throw up hilarious!
Russell Hubley
Apr 24, 2015 Russell Hubley rated it it was amazing
One of the funniest books I've ever read.
Chrystal Rose
Feb 11, 2014 Chrystal Rose rated it it was amazing
Hilarious. This man is a genius.
Colton Porco
Oct 05, 2012 Colton Porco rated it it was amazing
This is by far one of the most hilarious books I have ever read. Even though criticizing childrens' artwork is just plain wrong, I have to admit, every sentence Maddox writes is entirely true. I've always thought that people critique kids a little too lightly, and I'm glad to know that there's someone out there who agrees with me. Maddox says what no sane human would ever dare to say in public - much less compile into a book. In conclusion, people who lack morals of any kind will love this book ...more
Megan
Sep 03, 2012 Megan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Funny at first... but it gets old really quick. It's a very negative book where you get a laugh at someone's expense.

While I read it, I got that same feeling you get when you're with friends and the joking conversation turns nasty because you're saying mean things about someone else to get a laugh. Yuck.... a bit emo for me.

I could see why this was a good work email though, a simple, silly and unique topic.

Perhaps a good bathroom book.... one that you only need to read for a few minutes.
Jane
Dec 20, 2012 Jane rated it really liked it
This was a Christmas present from my brother to Josh. Truly hilarious! This book containing children’s work graded and commented on by Maddox. It all started with his website http://maddox.xmission.com/ In some ways the same kind of humour as David Thorne. More hilarious pictures and captions at http://www.iambetterthanyourkids.com/ I now want to read his first book The Alphabet of Manliness

Mauri Pratt
Nov 08, 2013 Mauri Pratt rated it really liked it
I saw this book on one of the displays at the library after a long hard day of parenting four of my own children. I opened it to a random page and found it so difficult to stifle my laughter that I had to check it out and read it all. While his language is crass and I wouldn't leave this book lying around for my children to read, it provided the good therapeutic laughter I was in need of.
Tom
Jan 08, 2014 Tom rated it really liked it
About what you expect -- funny, vulgar and not much else. The most surprising aspect is actually the introduction, where he actually makes a striking point about how mediocrity is overpraised in Western society.
Tamara
Oct 05, 2015 Tamara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humour
Possibly one of the funniest books I have seen in the spirit of sarcasm and general 'making fun of-ness'. There is something to be said about a grown man who brutally critiques children's artwork and turns it into a book and that is: Genius! Definitely not a book for people easily offended or horrified by crude language. Yes, it's mean, but yes, it's also fun...and funny. Very, very funny.
Scott
Dec 22, 2011 Scott rated it really liked it
Okay, this is an evil book. Completely uncalled for. It's an extension of a viral e-mail that I got a few years ago consisting of an egotistical adult mercilessly ridiculing real artwork of children. It's foul and unfair... but I can't lie, I found it hilarious. I felt terrible reading it. But also highly entertained. This book is most likely my ticket to hell.
Andrew John Pixton
Nov 30, 2013 Andrew John Pixton rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Very funny and offensive as a narcissistic personality if you're into that. He critiques and grades artwork by kids at the same standard he would adult artwork. He gives them all Fs, which seems inconsistent since there were some that he complimented and didn't say there was anything wrong with, but they still got an F. He gives himself all A+. I'll give him an A-.
Gabrielle
Jul 09, 2013 Gabrielle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
I was not high when I read this, but there was something going on. I cried laughing and I had to put it away because I was making such a fool of myself (I was alone). I just can't believe what a jerk this guy is about children's art, but he was completely right. I kinda wish he would say it to the kids in person and record them defending it.
Jordan Ayearst
Sep 16, 2012 Jordan Ayearst rated it really liked it
One of the meanest and funniest books I've ever read. His justification for not wanting to promote ageism by holding 1-8 year olds accountable to the same artistic standard as he would the Group of 7 or any other brilliant artist is mind-blowing in itself lol. It's definitely an acquired tasted and not for everyone.
Aidan
Jan 08, 2013 Aidan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is hysterical! I actually had difficulty breathing after having read a few pages, because my chest hurt so much from laughing. You would not believe half the crud thats in here until you read it. Having said that, if you're big on children, or are one, i wouldn't reccomend it. It is a bit obscene...
Natalie
Feb 03, 2015 Natalie rated it did not like it
Must not be in the mood. All the "jokes" just seemed overly heartless.
Arabian Rihanna
Oct 20, 2013 Arabian Rihanna rated it did not like it
I expected this book to share the kind of jokes that parents and adults secretly laugh at but refrain from saying. Alas, this book is extremely moronic and trashy.
Unless you're amused by the mere mention of genitalia and related functions in any context at all, then by all means, enjoy the book.
Erica
May 01, 2012 Erica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This guy is hysterical. Some may find his humor offensive so I must warn you that this book is not for the sensitive person. His sense of humor is similar to that of Daniel Tosh. Not much to read here as it is mainly pictures but if you're having a bad day, this book can get a laugh out of you for sure.
  • Grandma's Dead: Breaking Bad News with Baby Animals
  • The History of the World According to Facebook
  • Reasons My Kid Is Crying
  • Emails from an Asshole: Real People Being Stupid
  • La Corda d'Oro, Volume 6
  • Ask a Ninja Presents The Ninja Handbook: This Book Looks Forward to Killing You Soon
  • The McSweeney's Joke Book of Book Jokes
  • What I'd Say to the Martians and Other Veiled Threats
  • Cyanide and Happiness: Punching Zoo
  • Japanese Art
  • 高校デビュー 15 [Koukou Debut 15] (High School Debut, #15)
  • Seagalogy: a Study of the Ass-Kicking Films of Steven Seagal
  • Overheard in New York: Conversations from the Streets, Stores, and Subways
  • Key West (Hot in the City, #3)
  • Your Wildest Dreams, Within Reason
  • F this Test: Even More of the Very Best Totally Wrong Test Answers
  • Permanence: Tattoo Portraits
  • Are You Kidding Me?: My Life with an Extremely Loud Family, Bathroom Calamities, and Crazy Relatives
Maddox is a native Utahn and visionary director of The Best Page in the Universe website. Once a lowly programmer for a telemarketing company, he now stands as a specimen of sheer masculinity and chiseled good looks. When he's not writing his own biographies in the third person, he be found writing articles for his website.
More about Maddox...