Start by marking “Synchroniciteit: een beginsel van acausale verbondenheid” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Synchroniciteit: een b...

C.G. Jung

Synchroniciteit: een beginsel van acausale verbondenheid

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  1,466 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Studie over schijnbaar toevallige gebeurtenissen waarbij geconcludeerd wordt dat er sprake is van samenhangen, acausale verbanden, die de schrijver synchroniciteit noemt i.p.v. toeval.
159 pages
Published (first published November 1st 1972)

Keely
The central theory of 'synchronicity' relies on an unfortunate combination of flawed research and misapplied statistics. Jung hems and haws but is never able to demonstrate that any acausal connection between events exists.

The first problem is his reliance on research by Joseph Rhine, who coined the term 'parapsychology' to describe his studies. Throughout his career, Rhine's work was plagued with errors, and his ESP experiments were so poorly-designed as to be useless.

To produce good results me...more
Solomon
Jung's concept of synchronicity (i.e. acausal nonlocal meaningful coincidence) is presented with a beautiful calm and eloquence.

My reading of the book was motivated by a recent strikingly synchronistic experience of my own. And it seems to me that my actual reading of the book is somehow, in turn, entangled with both this earlier synchronistic experience and also with subsequent events and experiences...

I purposefully use the word "entangled" because I'm quite open to the possibility that a co...more
Amé
It doesn't make for light reading but a must read for those who like myself intuitively know to be there a direct open line of communication between the world of the psyche and the quantum reality that in ways completely invisible and entirely counter-intuitive to Newtonian physics supports our everyday, observable macro-cosmic reality.
Wendy
The best part: the explanation of why meaningful coincidences are, indeed, meaningful - because all our lines of connection come from the same source. Jung also explains why his theory goes beyond the "primitive" idea of assumed belief in the meaningfulness of events (e.g. believing disease occurred because one is being punished, etc.) and the Chinese idea in the Tao and the belief in the whole vs. the detail (which is generally what Jung's idea of synchronicity is) and he says it's simply becau...more
Gregg Wingo
This work by Jung is a fascinating look at the subjective experience of being a human mind in a physical universe. He begins the book with the following statements:

1) Natural laws are statistical truths, which means that they are completely valid only when we are dealing with macrophysical quantities.

2) The philosophical principle that underlies our conception of natural law is causality.

3) Their [Acausal events] existence - or at least their possibility - follows logically from the premise of s...more
Prince Campbell
Back in the 1980s when I was in High School there was a band called the Police. I was going through a British phase and I purchased all of their albums. One of them was called Synchronicity. I loved the album so much I read the book the album was named after.

Synchronicity is the experience of two or more events that are apparently causally unrelated or unlikely to occur together by chance, yet are experienced as occurring together in a meaningful manner.

For example: You learn someone close to y...more
Nicholas
Synchronicity, or the idea that two or more events can be connected meaningfully but acausally (that is, one does not cause the other) is an intriguing concept. We've all had various experiences that seemed almost impossible chance connections. However, I actually found myself less persuaded about the concept after reading Jung's book than before.

The first problem is that the book is not well organized. He kind of slides into the definition and "evidence" rather than presenting it in what I woul...more
Marjan
MINDBLOWN!

In the course of the last 9 months I've become very familiar with the concept of Synchronicity from my own experience. Slowly I began noticing it, then there was a phase when I thought it was all just a false impression, then it became too obvious to deny it and after the first quirky phases of acceptance I've made friends with it. Sure, each of those events could easily be attributed to chance or some psychological bias, but when the peculiarity and unlikeliness grows and the frequen...more
Jesse Voet
In itself I would give the content 4 stars, but the structure/design 2 stars, so average 3 stars. When reading this kind of books, you have to be convinced already of the concept of Synchronicity, as it requires some belief, some non-rationale thinking. If not, then don't buy the book, you will be disappointed :-). The approach of explanation is at least very interesting, it uses quite a number of arguments, rationale and non-rationale to point out that there 'is something out there', in a way w...more
Joshua
I am always looking for these events in my life. When they come around it is abundantly clear and is always amazing!

This is a book that I refer back to when I believe a synchronistic event is taking place in my life.
Judee
Probably would have given this a higher rating if I had understood it better. Made my brain tired but opened up new vistas of thinking about things.
Sidhartha
Clearly not the strongest work by Jung but maybe one of the bravest ideas in the 20-th century.
Nicky Jones
Synchronicity is something we should all be aware of. This book really helps with that.
Bryce Maxwell
To begin... This book contains much more in regards to advance mathematics and physics than may be expected. I enjoyed the read all in all, but I believe I should have read Jung's "The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious" thoroughly before beginning, seeing how they are central to his "theory" on Synchronicity. My knowledge of his theoretical framework involving the Archetypes and the Collective Ucs. is intermediate at best, and so understanding them (the archetypes primarilly) on a deeper...more
Renata Ferreira
Esperava mais desse livro, talvez uma resposta definitiva a respeito das coincidências inexplicáveis, mas os argumentos densos são excessivamente condensados em 120 páginas. Algumas respostas são esperadas (a sincronicidade como o momento em que você identifica fatos que ocorrem externamente com os que acontecem internamente - e daí vem "somos parte do todo", "assim na terra como no céu". etc.) Jung também se demora na parte da astrologia e tentando encontrar sincronicidade no experimento Rhine....more
Jesse
I was looking for some clarification of this (admittedly vague) concept that I'm very drawn to--not sure if that's what I got, but there was certainly countless intriguing ideas and thoughts presented along the way. To be fair, the concept itself is difficult to begin with, and as Jung fully admits, it is impossible to empirically "prove" one way or the other. Not that such a thing stops Jung, and, frankly, that's kind of the beauty of it.

"It is only the ingrained belief in the sovereign power o...more
Chris Howard
Somewhat tough to read as the language is very academic and sometimes to someone with my brain convoluted but I enjoyed exploring synchronicity and its possible occurrence in our lives. I got that after wading through all the studies.
Magali Reales maga
necesario para entender el radar que nos circunda, leer sus señales, entender que la realidad es más rica que nuestra simple percepción.
Shane
WARNING: Contains Astrology*

* not intended to offend those who believe in Astrology, just a warming to the vaguely sane.
James Andersen
This lecture is indeed one of the more curious of Jung's writings. Yet it is an idea that I believe is needed in light of 21st Century Perception of the World as a world that participants with Consciousness and is not separated from it. The experimental chapter I found to be a bit confusing, but since I am not the best at math that might explain why. But the Philosophy and Historical Background to the notions of Synchronistic Events I found to be most interesting, knowing also that our own Emoti...more
Steven Dunn
Jung's core ideas are either unprovable or have been since proven wrong. The idea of synchronicity is both, and essentially worthless-but-interesting, of more aesthetic than intellectual value. However - and this is why I love Jung - in the process of expounding this questionable idea he goes on numerous interesting diversions into mythology, occultism, history, philosophy, religion, and art. I tend to pair Jung with Eco, each covering similar territory from antipodal perspectives. I always lear...more
Brent
While the idea of synchronicity makes for an interesting idea, there is nothing either within this short work by Jung or anywhere else that has convinced me that events termed such are anything other than coincidence to which we've ascribed meaning. Perhaps if Jung had attempted to focus more time upon the significance of this meaning-making we all do rather than putting forth parapsychology and other pseudoscience as evidence, I would have found it a better book. Alas...
Jessica
The works of Jung, I think are highly imaginative. He really delves into our inner minds and sees what other scientists may not consider to be whole truth.
This book was based off Jung's attempt to prove things that are basically unprovable, for example, that our dreams may contain some hidden inner knowing of what is to happen sometime in the near future, and that it can, for the most part, be proved by chance or synchronicity.
Contrail Storey
Synchronicity allowed me to reflect upon a few internal thoughts from deep down within. It's ultimately the approach that Jung takes for examining the Universal Mind Concept linking All to a single Source that makes this a fun read. The illusory nature of the dream state is simply merged with physical realms, from this view insight into the archetypes that dominate the psyche are explored in connection with chance occurrences.
John Stepper
A fascinating read. It's so interesting to see such a great mind wrestle with what appears - then and now - to be easily looked down upon as mysticism or just plain chance.

Would have loved to have dinner with Jung. So learned and yet so open to possibilities he didn't fully understand.
Charlotte
If synchronicity as a concept and universal law is good enough for a luminary thinker such as Jung, it's good enough for me. This book puts into words (albeit words I do not always grasp the full meaning of) the principles of life, and of nature I feel, know and intuit deep within me to be true.
Leon Lahoud
As someone who has Observed several instances of synchronicity in my life, dr. Jung's analysis was a very interesting read. Of course no one should expect full explanation for a phenomena that so far is beyond science, but dr. Jung made good attempts of formalizing the phenomenon.
Matt Hourigan
I started noticing more and more of this while reading. Gave me some insight into the power of intent and "hunches"
There was some mathematics towards the end that looked legit, but I couldn't understand.
Gave me some direction on building my mind in the direction I partially choose.
Ben Hazrael
Uma das maiores inovações epistêmicas do século XX. Este livro refletiu muito bem a necessidade de maior aproximação entre campos disciplinares como Psicologia e Física. Uma obra de poucas páginas, quando comparada a outras obras de Jung, mas de uma profundidade imensa.
Needing help finding a certain bookstore 1 2 Oct 08, 2011 12:07PM
  • Shadow and Evil in Fairy Tales (C.G. Jung Foundation Book)
  • Ego and Archetype: Individuation and the Religious Function of the Psyche
  • The Freud/Jung Letters
  • The Origins and History of Consciousness
  • Owning Your Own Shadow: Understanding the Dark Side of the Psyche
  • Jung's Map of the Soul: An Introduction
  • Synchronicity: The Bridge Between Matter and Mind
  • Boundaries of the Soul: The Practice of Jung's Psychology
  • The Dream and the Underworld
  • The Pregnant Virgin: A Process of Psychological Transformation (Studies in Jungian Psychology By Jungian Analysts, 21)
  • Introducing Jung
  • Cosmos and Psyche: Intimations of a New World View
  • The Individual Psychology of Alfred Adler
  • Mysticism: A Study in the Nature and Development of Spiritual Consciousness
  • The Center of the Cyclone: Looking into Inner Space
  • Our Inner Conflicts: A Constructive Theory of Neurosis
  • The Gnostic Jung and the Seven Sermons to the Dead
  • Motivation and Personality
Carl Gustav Jung (/jʊŋ/; German: [ˈkarl ˈɡʊstaf jʊŋ]; 26 July 1875 – 6 June 1961), often referred to as C. G. Jung, was a Swiss psychiatrist and psychotherapist who founded analytical psychology. Jung proposed and developed the concepts of extraversion and introversion; archetypes, and the collective unconscious. His work has been influential in psychiatry and in the study of religion, philosophy,...more
More about C.G. Jung...
Memories, Dreams, Reflections Man and His Symbols The Undiscovered Self Modern Man in Search of a Soul The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious (Collected Works 9i)

“We often dream about people from whom we receive a letter by the next post. I have ascertained on several occasions that at the moment when the dream occurred the letter was already lying in the post-office of the addressee.” 21 likes