Motherhood is Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #2)

Motherhood is Murder (Maternal Instincts Mystery #2)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  27 reviews
The author of Bundle of Trouble delivers a new Maternal Instincts mystery.

Nights out are hard to come by for new mommy Kate Connelly. So when Kate and her husband are invited to a dinner cruise hosted by her new mommy club, Roo & You, they jump at it. But when the president of the club takes a deadly spill, everyone becomes suspect-and Kate's on deck to solve the mys...more
Published (first published January 12th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Motherhood is Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Motherhood is Murder

Charlene
3.5 - 4 stars, so rounded up.

This is the second book in Ms Orgain's debut series, and I liked it better than the first. As I read the story, the timetable seemed a bit less hectic and I had less trouble with the new-mom part-time sleuth leaving her baby with dad or Grandma.

There are some humorous moments, as well. The scene where I laughed aloud the longest [and even read parts of to my husband] was when Kate was dressing up for a business interview with a lawyer nicknamed Gary the Grizzly. Let'...more
Babs
Nov 21, 2010 Babs rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes mysteries and humor
Shelves: mysteries
Nights out are hard to come by for new mommy Kate Connelly. So when Kate and her husband are invited to a dinner cruise hosted by her new mommy club, Roo & You, they jump at it. But when the president of the club takes a deadly spill, everyone becomes suspect-and Kate's on deck to solve the mystery.

My 2 cents:

Right from the beginning we have action going. I loved seeing Kate jump in subtly and get things going when at times she didn't know what she had. Jim is funny the way he takes care of...more
Debbie
"Motherhood is Murder" is a humorous "who-done-it" mystery. It's the second novel in the series, but you don't need to have read the first book to understand this one. Though I don't think reading the books out of order spoiled anything in the first mystery, I'd suggest reading the books in order for maximum enjoyment.

The novel was well-written and fast-paced. The world-building was excellent and brought the story alive in my imagination. Kate and her family & friends were engaging and inter...more
 Gigi Ann
Jan 21, 2012 Gigi Ann rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cozy Mystery Readers.
"Motherhood is MURDER," by Diana Orgain, is a story about a first time mom, Kate Connolly. She is also trying to teach herself to be a private investigator with the help of a book she checked out of the library..."The Complete Idiot's Guide to Private Investigation."

Invited out for a dinner cruise, she and hubby leave the baby with the Grandmother, and are looking forward to spending a grown-up evening out with friends. A night of some fine dining on a dinner cruise on the San Francisco Bay.

How...more
Min
This is the second book in the Maternal Instincts series, which means that Kate's baby, Laurie is now two months old, which is also approximately how long Kate has been an amateur P.I.

She stumbles on her case when she gets invited to check out a mommy group when the group goes on a rare child-free outing - a dinner cruise. However, the event ends in disaster when one of the mommies ends up dead. One of the other mommies hires Kate to find out what happened, mistakenly believing that Kate is a fu...more
Marlyn
Kate Connolly really doesn't want to return to her mind-numbing administrative job, now that she's got lovely baby Laurie at home. In the first book of the series, Bundle of Trouble, Kate got her first taste of investigating, and now is ready to set out her shingle as a private investigator. She's even got business cards.

Two things she doesn't have are a license, and experience. Her hopes of talking former policeman, now P.I. Albert Galigani into sponsoring her are dashed when he has a heart att...more
Laura de Leon
I love it when a book is exactly what I'm looking for-- in this case, a cute, fun mystery.

The mystery (murder in a moms' group, oh my!) was cleanly executed, but the main reason to read this is the same as pretty much any cozy-- the characters.

Kate Connolly is amazingly on the ball for a new mom, although she has a fairly easy baby, particularly when dad is holding down the fort. Still, it's fun to read the ever-changing lists, and the concerns about 2 month old baby milestones.

I found Kate to...more
Mark Baker
A night out with Kate's new mommy group turns deadly when one of the members is found dead at the bottom of some stairs. Tragic accident or murder? Lots of humor, and I identified with Kate a little too much. The plot is a little uneven, but still an enjoyable book.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Lindsay
Not sure why I picked this up since I'm not a mommy and don't plan on being one anytime soon (I hope), but it was different so I figured, why the heck not.

Like most mystery series that focus on one thing (coffee shops, old people solving crime, motherhood), the book was pretty simple. To me there seemed like a lot of characters so I kind of got a little confused on who was who. What happens is that one of the mommy's in Kate's mommy and baby group dies and Kate who's a wannabe private investiga...more
Apr 17, 2010 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jennifer by: jennsicurella@verizon.net
Shelves: mystery-cozy
Motherhood is Murder jumps right into the action with the mystery beginning from the very first page. There is no long build up here, it rockets right out of the gate.

I really liked how the parenting aspects of the story were portrayed in this book. Kate's doubts as a first time mom were written very true to life. I'm personally not a fan of mommy group superior cliquishness, so I enjoyed Kate being on the fringe of that world. She's open to it without purely accepting or condemning it.

Motherhoo...more
Michele
This is an adorable cozy mystery series (this book is #2) that would make the perfect gift for a new mom. Anyone who remembers what those sleep-deprived, chaos-filled days of new motherhood was like will probably remember that your reading took a serious dive once the new baby arrived. And even when you could find time to read, your brain didn't engage that well.....War and Peace was out of the question.

These books are easy on the brain. The protagonist is a brand-new mother herself who finds he...more
Ronica
When I read Bundle of Trouble a little over a year, I was hoping that Ms.Orgain would write another book featuring Kate Connelly and her adorable daughter and I was not disappointed. The mystery was excellent and I was kept guessing until almost the very end. I really enjoyed all the secondary stories, my favorite being when Kate had some "difficulty" enrolling Laurie in swim classes. If you stumble upon this book first don't fret, it is not necessary to have read the first in the series but if...more
Julia
As Kate's decision to begin working toward becoming a PI and her baby's impending two month birthday, she realizes she may be missing developmental milestones. Who knew you had to sign up for Le Petit Grenouille infant swim classes in utero? She meets the founder of a local moms playgroup at a baby store and decides to join in. On their first excursion (a lovely bay cruise, date night with the husbands), one of the women dies. Kate's a smart gal, her husband is supportive, (not a comic foil) and...more
Shannon McGee
Mixed with humor and the mystery of mothering. Diana Orgain has created a comfy and cosy mystery series.

I love returning to this series it is just a comfortable mystery book that is not to violent , has humor and just some wonderful puzzling mysteries.

I have to say I also love the cover designs. It brings so much brightness of what you are going to read. Just a nice touch!

I can’t wait to read the next one Formula For Murder!
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Diana Orgain's "Motherhood is Murder" was a delightfully humorous and creative murder mystery. Set in San Francisco, Ms. Orgain captures the city's quirkiness and romance as our sleuth, Kate tries to solve a set of murders while becoming a Private Investigator thus allowing her to stay at home with her new baby girl, Laurie.

I eagerly look forward to reading her next novel.
Kimberly
I really enjoy this series. It's a quick, easy and entertaining read. The main character makes me laugh and she just seems so real. I also like the other reaccuring characters - especially the grandma and best friend. The story/mystery was good. I had my suspicions about who the suspect was, but I enjoyed finnding out about te story of why she committed the crime.
Hannah
A chick-lit whodunnit, not at all my usual kind of book, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. An easy read, nothing to shocking in there but a couple of nice twists, nothing massively exciting but it was good.
Grey853
Can we say lame? I think we can.

This got such good reviews for being humorous and entertaining, but I just found it to be totally unbelievable and found no humor at all.
Dawn
This was a fun, light read. The story read quickly and moved me right along, wanting to know what happened next. Pretty sure that's all I need in a cozy mystery!
Tara
Kate makes me laugh! I love the truths of motherhood, the glee, the guilt, all wrapped up with a mystery!
Erin Brandenburg
This was a cute book. I could relate to th main character and thought the story moved smoothly.
Kelly
fun! a great follow-up to the first! it's a cute, quick read. great for the beach.
Nick
3.5 I definitely liked this more than the last one. Good but not great.
Laurie
A fun sequel. Read it while I pumped! Didn't guess the murderer, either.
Arlene
I really enjoyed this book more than the first in the series.
Candice
Cute, fun and quick read. Great for a rainy day.
Nicole
Nicole is currently reading it
Aug 30, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
  • Getting Old Is a Disaster (Gladdy Gold, #5)
  • The Replacement Child (Gil Montoya Mystery #1)
  • Dolly Departed (Gretchen Birch, #3)
  • Foul Play at the PTA  (Beth Kennedy #2)
  • Scoop to Kill (A Mystery a La Mode, #2)
  • French Polished Murder (A Daring Finds Mystery, #2)
  • Death Takes a Honeymoon (Carnegie Kincaid, #4)
  • The Nanny Murders (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #1)
  • Lead-Pipe Cinch (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #2)
  • Driven to Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Buzz Off (Queen Bee, #1)
  • The Proof is in the Pudding (A Della Cooks Mystery #3)
  • Harrowing Hats
  • How to Host a Killer Party (Party Planning, #1)
  • Silent Auction (A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #5)
  • How to Moon a Cat (The Cats and Curios Mystery Series, #3)
Diana Orgain was born in San Francisco, CA. As a child she loved Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew mysteries and dreamed of being a writer one day. She went on to earn her B.A and M.F.A. in Creative Writing from SFSU with a minor in acting. Diana has acted professionally in many theater roles and national commercials. She' wrote several plays, which were produced in San Francisco State University. Bundle...more
More about Diana Orgain...
Bundle of Trouble (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #1) Nursing a Grudge (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #4) Formula for Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #3) Destruction (A Short Story): A Vicente Domingo Intrigue En Apuros (con la Mamá Detective) (Spanish Edition)