Start by marking “Dangerous Alterations” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Alterations

Dangerous Alterations (A Southern Sewing Circle #5)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  330 ratings  ·  36 reviews
When Tori Sinclair's philandering ex turns up dead, the police chief believes it was murder-and that Tori may have been involved. Now, only the girls from the sewing circle will be able to help keep her life from coming apart at the seams...
Published November 1st 2011 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Alterations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dangerous Alterations

Lisa Kelley
I've kept it no secret that I love this series. Elizabeth Lynn Casey is a superb story teller. Not only does she have a perfect knack for writing a well thought out mystery. Not only does she have the perfect knack for writing a well thought out mystery, she creates brilliantly real characters that jump off the pages. Indeed, she has created a group of women that I want as life long friends, and a town that I would pack up and move to today if I could.

I also love the humor in this one. (All her
Grey853
Amanda Meggs
Overall I have found Tori to be quite an irritating main protagonist. She doubts and mistrusts her boyfriend and friends on a regular basis, and has to 'wipe away a tear' way too often. The mysteries in the series are fairly obvious (to me anyway), but not impossible. I have come back to the series a few times but I'm afraid this will be the last one for me as I hoped Tori would improve and she hasn't grown at all, still seems to be the same character even though again and again it's proven that ...more
Debbie
"Dangerous Alterations" is a cozy mystery with a women's fiction focus. This book is the fifth in the series, but you can understand and enjoy it without needing to read the previous novels. This novel did not spoil the mysteries in the previous novels.

The novel focused heavily on several women who had been betrayed by cheating men and who were trying to find their selves and self-worth again. I though that this aspect was well done. The characters were engaging and complex and acted to the situ
LORI CASWELL
We are back in Sweet Briar with Tori Sinclair and the ladies of the Southern Sewing Circle. In this installment Tori’s past comes back to haunt her.

First at a local health clinic Tori runs into her ex-fiance’s great aunt Vera. The old woman seems shocked to see Tori. Tori is shocked when the woman dies on the spot, most likely from a heart attack. Vera’s death brings slime-ball Jeff to Sweet Briar for the funeral and he has the nerve to ask Tori to take him back.

Tori is also worrying about Dixie
Megan
Mirjam
When you read one of Elizabeth Lynn Casey's cozies you step into a warm bath of friendship and fun. Dangerous Alterations is another great example. The ladies of the Southern Sewing Circle have a new sewing project and are busy helping Tori deal with the emotional rollercoaster she is experiencing after the sudden reappearance of her ex in her life. When he dies during a run, what seems like a tragic accident at first soon turns out to be murder. Tori wouldn't be Tori if she didn't try to get to ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
When I finish one of the novels in this series, I always find myself wanting to become one of the circle of friends, that the heroine, Tori has made.

This was a well formed murder mystery with all so many other mysteries thrown in. A lady dies while Rose is receiving her therapy. Tori, to her shock, knows the lady. By request, Tori tells her ex-fiance, Jeff about the death.

Then Jeff is killed and the Library office where Tori works is burned by arson. What is going on?

On an underside story, we le
Paula Ratcliffe
Edward Creter
Each book in the Tori Sinclair series delves deeper into the characters and helps us appreciate Tori not only for being the World's Nicest Detective but for her human weaknesses as well. Today is not a good day for Tori. Not only has her former mom-in-law passed away from mysterious circumstances, but she has to tell Jeff, the man she left to pursue a dream as a librarian in Sweet Briar, So. Carolina. Then Jeff dies while jogging, and, as usual, Tori is suspect no. one as far as Chief Robert Dal ...more
Stacy Brown
Tori's ex shows up in this book and ends up dead. While I enjoyed the emotional struggle Tori experiences in this book, I knew who "did it" very early in the story line and found myself angry at the author attempts at misdirection.
Theresa
Mystery just didn't work for me - while ultimate motive was as good idea, whole plot was thin at best. Even for a cozy, this was thin on the mystery. Even the town, characters and sewing circle failed to charm.
Marj
Tori Sinclair had moved to Sweet Briar, South Carolina, from Chicago to start her life over again after breaking up with her fiance. When someone she knows dies, and she and her current boyfriend are under suspicion, she and her Sewing Society Circle friends try to solve the crime.
The only negative for this book is that I was sure who the murderer was several chapters before Tori found out, and I wasn't really trying to solve it.
Rusty
Occasionally, I pick up a cozy mystery to read. This time I chose one from the sewing circle series by Elizabeth Lynn Casey. Not sure why so many seem to enjoy this series. I thought it was simplistic (aren't all cozies) and predictable so I found myself giving it the stars.

The town is Sweet Briar with Tori Sinclair is the heroine. There is a rabbit that makes for some funny little sequences. There is the ex-boyfriend who is so enamored with himself that he keeps pursuing Tory hoping to jump in
Kate
Love this series but am getting a little tired of Tori being slow to catch on to things. It seems like whenever the other characters put a piece of the puzzle together or make an educated guess, Tori is surprised and says "what do you mean??" or something along those lines, leading them to explain the obvious. Like when she was shocked and didn't understand why the police would want to question her in the murder of her ex. Hmm. Hopefully Tori smartens up in the next book, but this series is stil ...more
Susan
When librarian Tori finds her ex-fiance's great aunt has died and no one has notified him, duty impels her to call. Now that Jeff can't have her, he decides he wants to propose again, angering Tori, her friends, and especially her new boyfriend Milo. Jeff dies suddenly, putting everyone under suspicion when the police chief decides that the circumstances are suspicious. This is mostly about female bonding, with little detection, and not even much sewing; you may spot the culprit way, way before ...more
Saadia
Sweet cozy thriller. Circle of women friends who sew together as a hobby in small town setting. Library director gets involved when a suspicious death occurs. This is not the first time I am seeing foxglove used as a poison.

Heroine seems awfully jumpy and prone to feeling guilty, but she has stalwart friends who jump in to the rescue.

I figured out long before they did that the rabbit was pregnant. And no one even mentioned the need to get the rabbit spayed as soon as possible, ha!
Lyn Ford
Enjoyable read , it was lovely to visit the Sweet Briar Ladies again
Kathy

This is a great cozy mystery and I enjoyed reading it as much as the others in this series. I wish I could join the Sweet Briar's Sewing Circle.
Sandybear76
Tori is with Rose, a sewing group friend, as Rose undergoes treatment in the hospital when an elderly lady Tori knows dies in the hospital. Tori calls her ex-fiance Jeff to let him know of his great-aunt's death. Jeff thinks that she is calling to get back together but Tori wants nothing to do with him. Unfortunately, Jeff dies while jogging which rises a lot of questions.
Linda
While I've loved every book in this series, I have to say this was my favorite. The friendships among the sewing circles ladies are growing stronger, but also becoming more complex. The main character, Tori, is my idea of the perfect cozy protagonist--kind, intelligent, insightful, and (of course!) intensely curious. Long live the ladies of the Southern sewing circle!
Moira
I love visiting Sweet Briar, Tori and all her friends from the Sewing circle. A great cast of characters. Clever writing and plot. I really enjoy getting to know all the characters. This installement brought up some interesting questions from a human point of view. I really love that I have the next one right there on the top of my TBR pile, ready to read.
Helena
I've either been reading too many cozy mysteries lately or one shouldn't read this series back to back to back. I called the murder victim, the method, and the murderer, and basically just read it to see if I was right. Probably more a reflection on me than on the author, but it's still a bit disappointing not to be surprised at all.
Moondance
Tori's ex comes to town after the sudden death of his aunt. When he dies just as suddenly, Tori attempts to find his killer. I enjoy spending time with the ladies of the sewing circle. It's like sitting down with old friends. I liked Paris' storyline in this book! 3.5 stars
Josephine
Won this book from a giveaway at Dru's Book Musings http://notesfromme.wordpress.com/
Really enjoyed the book, well written, good characters, Good story, lots of southern charm.
About a group of women who belong to the Southern Sewing Circle, a mystery, their friendship.
Kayt18
i really loved and enjoyed this one in the Southern Sew Circle series. loved reading about the wonderful cabins and scenery in the Smoky Mountains, just wish there would have been more fun centered there. another great cozy by a wonderful author
Stacey Seaver
Cozy mystery exactly as it should be....predictable plot with characters you love, fun setting and silliness. I've read all of these sewing circle series up to this one and each one is cute and worth the 2 hours-ish to read.
Julia Wilson
Missed Milo in this book. There also wasn't as much sewing. It was ok, but I was a bit sad at the end.
Linda
I'm really enjoying this series...each one is better than the last. Great characters and plots.
Pat Trezza
Another great book and again looking forward to next book. Love this author!
  • Thread Reckoning (An Embroidery Mystery, #3)
  • That Old Flame of Mine
  • A Fitting End (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #2)
  • Bowled Over (A Vintage Kitchen Mystery, #2)
  • Cat Trick (Magical Cats, #4)
  • Behind the Seams (Crochet Mystery, #6)
  • Crewel Yule (A Needlecraft Mystery, #8)
  • Not the Killing Type (A Booktown Mystery, #7)
  • Dire Threads (Threadville Mystery, #1)
  • Lost and Fondue (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Grace Interrupted (Manor House Mystery, #2)
  • Killer in Crinolines
  • Night of the Living Dandelion (A Flower Shop Mystery, #11)
Sew Deadly (A Southern Sewing Circle, #1) Death Threads (A Southern Sewing Circle, #2) Pinned for Murder (A Southern Sewing Circle, #3) Deadly Notions (A Southern Sewing Circle, #4) Let It Sew (A Southern Sewing Circle, #7)