Start by marking “A Whisper to a Scream (The Bibliophiles #1)” as Want to Read:
A Whisper to a Scream (The Bibliophiles #1)

A Whisper to a Scream (The Bibliophiles #1)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Ovulation detectors. Hormone surges. Anxiety-ridden dreams. This is the world in which Annie Jacobs is thrust when she and her husband John receive a diagnosis of unexplained infertility. A 37-year old PR executive, Annie has wanted to be a mother since she first cuddled her Baby Tenderlove at age five. She is dreading another Christmas of relatives asking when they will b ...more
Published June 2011 by CreateSpace (first published March 20th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Whisper to a Scream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Whisper to a Scream

Khamneithang Vaiphei
A Whisper to a Scream by Karen Wojcik Berner is the first book in The Bibliophiles series which is a great way to start with an author who is new to me. I was instantly drawn as I found the writing engaging and quite distinct. Moreover, the title “a whisper to a scream” really intrigued me. And I was keen to find out.

In the story, Karen Wojcik Berner paints the story of two diametrically opposite women, spinning a stark picture of life revolving around their lives. One of the two women is Sarah
Melissa
This review was originally posted on Melissa's Midnight Musings
on October 8, 2012.

This book speaks to all women. Those who have children and those who don't. And for those of us who are thinking about it in the future, it gives you a very detailed picture of what having children can be like, and what a struggle that being a parent can be at times. It also gives you a painful look at the issue of infertility and the effect that can have on a family and a marriage.

Both Sarah and Annie are women w
Crystal
Overall I really enjoyed A Whisper to a Scream. I feel like Ms. Berner created two main characters that I could relate to even though I am in neither of their specific situations. I am not a stay-at-home mom with a husband on the road and I am not a want-to-be mom with fertility problems. I am a working mom with two children so that puts me somewhere between the two I guess, closer to the SAHM you would think, but then like Annie because I work.

I think that's what made A Whisper to a Scream rea
Al
For some reason my brain wants to start this review with a cliché. Maybe something about greener grass, walking in shoes that aren’t yours, or even proper caution when making wishes. All might apply to the two protagonists in "A Whisper to a Scream." Each wishes for a life more like what the other has.

Despite their differences, Annie and Sarah were both characters I liked, which I think is important in a story like this. I wanted both to find a way to get their wish. I think that’s normal, to h
Cheryl "Mash"
A WHISPER TO A SCREAM by Karen Wojcik Barner
Published by CreateSpace
ISBN-10: 145659365X
ISBN-13: 978-1456593650
Genre: Women's Fiction
At the request of the author, Karen Wojcik Berner, and WOW Tours, a digital edition was sent, at no cost to me, for my honest opinion.

Synopsis (from WOW tours): Annie Jacobs has dreamed of the day she would become a mother since the first time she held her Baby Tenderlove doll. Unfortunately, biology has not cooperated with her plan, and she finds herself dealing
Inga
My review:

Karen Wojcik Berner’s book A Whisper to a Scream was a very good book. The author has created a story which many women can relate to and the book covers many issues which can be quite painful for women: infertility, choosing carrier versus having a family, being a stay-at-home-mom, marriage problems. In enjoyed the writing style which was easy to read, the narrative and the characters.

Regarding the plot:

A Whisper to a Scream introduces the reader to two main characters who seem to come
Dawn Judd
A Whisper to a Scream takes us on a roller coaster ride of emotions. This tale of two women, one already a mother and one who desperately wants to become a mother, accurately depicts the raw human emotion that comes with the prospect of becoming a parent. My heart ached for both Annie and Sarah as the course of their lives was altered by cruel fate. I admired the strength they showed despite everything they encountered. They both proved that what does not kill us truly does make us stronger. Kar ...more
Christopher Everest
Yes - The characters are part of a book club. No - there is very little connection between what they read and how life unfolds. They is very little paralleling between the texts they examine (only very very very briefly) and the private lives of the two women struggling in difficult (but common) situations. If you like soap opera or kitchen sink drama this book might work for you. I was fooled by the subtitle The Bibliophiles #1 - This is the first in the series so I struggled through waiting fo ...more
Debbie White
I loved this book! I LOVED how this author draws you into her book and her characters. I would not hesitate to recommend this book to my friends who are interested in this type of storyline. I got this book free from Goodreads in a giveway and I thank them for it as I really enjoyed it!! I would love to read another book by this author in the near future as I really enjoyed it!!
Sue
I was disappointed by the abrupt ending with no real resolution. After being drawn into the lives of these two women, we're left feeling sad and lost. Hopefully the next book gives us a little more on these two and doesn't just turn completely to new characters.
Jencey/
Karen sent me the first book in the Bibliophiles series. Whisper to a Scream is the first book about two women who share a similar frustration.
Synopsis:
Annie and Sarah both have something the other wants. Sarah is a mother of two looking for time for herself and help with the house and the children. Annie would give anything to have a child. Both women see a flyer that promotes a new book club commencing at the Community Center. They will be reading the classics. Will each woman capture the desi
Brenna
Aug 09, 2011 Brenna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Thank you to Ms. Berner and the Goodreads first reads giveaway for my copy of this book!

I read the back cover before I started in on the novel, and I was prepared to indulge in a book about a woman's struggle to get pregnant and the trials and tribulations she faces along the way. However, after a few chapters, I realized there was so much more to this novel than just the synopsis on the reverse side of the book. A Whisper to a Scream takes its readers on a journey, not just through one woman's
TC
It's been a long while since I wrote a review, as life has a nasty habit of getting in the way of reading. Most of the books I have read lately have been pretty good, or very popular and well commented upon already. This book sadly didn't fall into the first category or the second. When I first sat down with it I had doubts about whether I wanted to carry on with it. The style was lumpy and I found myself having to re-read bits to make sense of them.

I liked the ideas in the blurb so I plodded o
Gloria Antypowich

3.0 out of 5 stars A well written, but painful shot of reality.I want to stick my head in the sand for a little bit longer!,

North American society has fostered an idyllic image of love, marriage, a perfect life and happy ever after as an ultimate and achievable ideal. This book is a much more realistic reflection of life issues that are all too often very real.

Anne Jacobson and Sarah Anderson both thought they had achieved the happily ever dream; they married the "prince" and life should play o
Maureen
This book is the first of her "Bibliophiles" series, which is what made me pick it up. Ms Berner has a gift in making her characters so alive the pain they feel is communicated to the reader. It makes you squirm a bit, but so does reality.

The story of two women with polar opposite problems is intriguing. How could they become friends when each has what the other wants? I could relate to both women, despite not being in either "camp". I had expected some blatant character manipulation, but if the
Gaylene
I received this book from WOW, and was pleasantly surprised by Karen's story. Even though the writing occasionally needed more editing to make it stronger, the story itself was thought-provoking. The two women's worlds were polar opposites, where one struggled through the trials of young motherhood and the other struggled with infertility. When I finished the book, I wanted to go hug my kids and my thank my husband for being my best friend.

I do wish Karen would have played up the book club a bit
Beverly Diehl
Annie has always wanted children, and has married into a family whose abundant fertility taunts her at every holiday gathering. Sarah has two children she loves dearly, but the lack of focus, of purpose, of anything except being a mommy is slowly driving her insane.

What I loved: the characters are beautifully drawn, the reader can totally relate to the pain and frustration of each woman, the whole "grass is always greener syndrome," as well as showing how silly the whole "Mommy wars" are.

What sl
Lulu
Marriage is difficult at best under normal circumstances, but throw in the desire Annie has to have a baby, or having children and trying to raise them by yourself, as Sarah is doing, can overwhelming. When both women experience great loss, and one an additional betrayal, they gravitate to their little book club for quite reflection and comfort. With humor and sobering reality, each woman learns how to deal with the changes in their relationshipos. I enjoyed this book greatly. This is the first ...more
Gina's Library
This book was a quick read. I felt for both of the women Sarah and Annie. I don't know if Annie's reaction to her infertility was over the top or not since I never went through that. At the same time I've never really dealt with the a marriage like Sarah's either. I do have to say I saw the "end" of Annie's story coming in a way. I figured out something was going to happen along the way that it did. I agree with some others about not liking how it ended. It didn't really wrap up a story line for ...more
Margie
I enjoyed seeing two women deal with the issues of having children. I was disappointed that the two stories did not intertwine more. The two women were not involved with each other as much as I expected.

The author did write the two main characters in such a way that I could relate to each of them. I felt sorry for them in different ways. I could see where each thought the other one had the better life.

I did not feel like the ending gave me a feeling of resolution. I know this is a series and ma
Lisa
I didn't like much, slow and somewhat boring. it was struggle to get through.
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Check out the full review at Kritters Ramblings

Are you in a book club? How much do you know about the people in your book club? After reading this book, I thought I knew my fellow book clubbers really well, but after reading this book I wonder what I don't know about the women in both of my book clubs. This is the first in a series that doesn't start but ends up centered around two women who are in a book club together. They both are dealing with marriages that are hitting valleys in different r
Nikki Kies
I also felt like I read an unfinished book.

I completed the book because I related to Sarah so well but nothing was resolved for these two women and so much more could have been said about their relationship with each other. That part was not very well developed.

It was more of a sketchy outline than a novel. I think it had the potential to be so much more.

I realize this review is harsh, but I spent hours reading it waiting for something to happen that never did.
Maribeth
It drives me crazy when a book and its characters are so promising and then the story just ends abruptly. I understand series stories- you want people to be interested in buying the next book where the story continues. However, each book needs to be a complete story on it's own, with it's own ending/closure- or the reader feels ripped off, as I did. It's not good story telling.
Heather
I feel like I just read an unfinished book. We are pulled into the lives of these two women and in the last chapter we get a fast forward and no real resolution.
Harvee
Believable characters in a very readable contemporary novel about women, marriage, careers, family, and tough choices that have to be made.
I tried to read this, I really did, but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll try it another time.

Did Not Finish (DNF).
Katie
I wasn't to thrilled with this book. I'm not sure what I was looking for but it didn't keep me going.
Carrie
I enjoyed this but didn't like how it ended. no answers very open ended.
Kathleen Kelly
review to come
Book Giveaways: Contemporary women's fiction 1 5 May 16, 2013 10:13AM
Free Books, .99 &...: Win Amazon gift cards AND books 1 15 May 16, 2013 10:11AM
  • Love Lifted Me (Songbird, #3)
  • Lovesick
  • Justice (Deck of Lies, #1)
  • Sweat
  • Veil Between Worlds
  • The Living Image
  • My Half of the Sky
  • Stalker in the Shadows (Sonoma #3)
  • Section 132
  • Nobody's Child
  • Scourge: A Grim Doyle Adventure (Grim Doyle Adventures, #1)
  • Showbiz, A Novel
  • The Twelve Days to Christmas (Single in the City)
  • A Wedding in Great Neck
  • The Dirty Secret
  • Unfinished Business An Angela Panther Novel
  • Noah's Rainy Day (A Liv Bergen Mystery #4)
  • Falling Fast
Karen Wojcik Berner writes contemporary women’s fiction, including the Bibliophiles series. An award-winning journalist, her work has appeared in several magazines, newspapers, and blogs, such as The Chicago Tribune, Writer Unboxed, Women's Fiction Writers, and Fresh Fiction. She is a member of the Chicago Writers’ Association.

When not writing, she can be found on the sidelines of her youngest’s f
More about Karen Wojcik Berner...

The Bibliophiles (3 books)
  • Until My Soul Gets It Right (The Bibliophiles #2)
  • A Groovy Kind of Love (The Bibliophiles #3)
A Groovy Kind of Love (The Bibliophiles #3) Until My Soul Gets It Right (The Bibliophiles #2) A Bibliophile Christmas (The Bibliophiles)