Start by marking “Castaway” as Want to Read:
Castaway

Castaway

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  365 ratings  ·  44 reviews
'Writer seeks "wife" for a year on tropical island.'

The opportunity to escape from it all was irresistible. Lucy Irvine answered the advertisement -- and found herself alone on a remote desert island with a 'husband' she hardly knew.

Lucy Irvine fell in love with the seductive, if cruel, beauty of that untouched Eden, whose power to enslave and enchant her never slackened t
Published March 1st 1984 by Random House (NY) (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Castaway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Castaway

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferThe Gargoyle by Andrew DavidsonCastaway by Lucy IrvineMy Wolf's Bane by Veronica BladeWalk Two Moons by Sharon Creech
Non-Popular Books You SHOULD Read
3rd out of 88 books — 27 voters
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertWild by Cheryl StrayedA Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonIn a Sunburned Country by Bill BrysonInto the Wild by Jon Krakauer
Wanderlust
63rd out of 356 books — 355 voters

More lists with this book...

Kinga
I didn't read much between the ages 16-20, I was too busy rebelling and going to parties.
But I remember reading this one book. I just found it again, so I thought I would review here it for your pleasure. It was about a woman who went to live a la Robinson Cruzoe with some crazy dude and all I remember was that because of malnutrition the main character's anus became so loose her rectum would constantly fall out.

I am still traumatised.
Liralen
At the age of 25, Lucy Irvine answered an ad for a yearlong spot as a 'wife' on a desert island. She and her partner—Gerald Kingsland, who was twice her age—were to play at being survivors: they would build shelters, fish and forage for food (and hopefully make the use of some seeds), be completely on their own. Once you accept that they're both rather batshit crazy, it's an enthralling read. (Perhaps a bit reminiscent of Legacy of Luna?)

There are two main things to consider—the survival aspect
Marycan
Amazing book... hard to read, harder to put down. I found this in a second-hand bookstore, and naturally assumed it was the basis of the Tom Hanks movie. Not. Very much, not. The other reviews tell the story pretty well, so I'll mention some other things. Gerald did go on to write his book,The Islanders, but it was not the success her book was, and to be honest, halfway through Castaway it's pretty clear that he simply does not have the urge to write or anything else. In fact, you wonder if he k ...more
GoldGato
This book was a big U.K. hit in the 1980s, as it told the story of an older man and a younger woman who spend a year together on the desert island of Tuin, off the Torres Straits of Australia. The couple are combustible from the get-go, as the man wants sex and an escape from responsibilities, while the woman wants to find herself. Never a good combination.

Now add drought, lack of supplies, and starvation to the sexual friction, and the story really gets good. Lucy Irvine tells the true tale fro
Nettle
Got this off my wishlist for Christmas and read it over the course of a day. Once I'd started, I couldn't put it down.

This is one of those books that gets into your head, you look away from reading it, go into the kitchen to make a drink and suddenly a part of your brain's not sure where you are. One of those books where you look out of the window and wonder why the weather is different to what it was a moment ago, when you were in the book.

Well written and all the better for the fact it's a tru
Sharon
I've been meaning to read this book for most of my adult life and I'm so glad that I finally got round to it. From the moment I started the book I have been living on Tuin and, like Lucy, I am a little reluctant to leave. There is so much to enjoy in this book. Firstly it is the story of a heroic, real life, female, Robinson Crusoe clinging to survival against the odds. Then there are her diary entries that focus on the natural beauty of the island and Lucy's growing love affair with Tuin that f ...more
Kathrina
"Like a Jane Austen novel gone delirious with sun stroke." --New York Times Book Review

I don't know about the Jane Austen reference, but you're curious now, right? Immediately on reading the premise, I was too curious not to read this book. In 1981 a man puts out a want-ad looking for a "wife" to join him on a deserted island just south of Papua New Guinea. It turns out the Australian government required a man and woman to marry before living together, even on a deserted island, but it seems tha
Lisa
Aug 27, 2009 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Women and men.
If you still daydream about the drama and romance of "roughing it" on a desert island with a complete stranger who isn't Clive Owen or at least George Clooney, read this. Not to be confused with a very trite movie starring a very trite male star, this is a true story. They become castaways on purpose, when Lucy Irvine answers a newspaper ad looking for a companion for an "adventure". This adventure consists of living on a desert island with a total stranger, in hopes of eventual romance. Well, s ...more
Suzanne
Well. What an interesting book. This is the true story of two strangers spending a year on an island in 1981-1982. Lucy Irvine answers an ad to be a "wife" for a year with a man who wants to spend a year on a deserted island and then write a book about it. It is not clear whether the expectation of sex was set forth ahead of time; however, when they find an island (Tuin, in the Torres Straits) the government will not allow them to live there unless they are legally married. Once on the island Lu ...more
Rob Bliss
I love this book and hope I read it several times in a lifetime.

Lucy didn't have formal education after the age of 13, and she writes better than tons of pro writers. She knows what she's doing.

She's more independant than most people -- I didnt think a single person could be that independant. She wants to live in an island, she's gonna live on an island, dammit.

Even with the hell that paradise can be, she and G survive it, and Im envious.

Thats really why I loved this book so much (well, I fell i
aldabra
When I found this book abandoned on the shelf of my favorite second-hand store, I was afraid it would be some sort of survival challenge tailored for TV or a plea for world peace straight out of the Flower Power movement. After all, the tagline above (i.e. Writer seeks "wife" for a year on tropical island) isn't exactly reassuring.

I'm glad I didn't let this put me off. Instead, it turned out to be the simple story of a man and woman living for a year on a wild island, not trying to prove anythi
Donna Hendricks
It was definitely my type of book. It took place on a tiny Island. G had advertised for a "wife" to spend a year there with him, so he could write a book about his experiences. She explored the island and I (felt like I) was with her every step, even listening to her thoughts. There was limited water, and they had little to eat. People from a nearby island discovered them and became their friends. You'll have to read the book she wrote to find out the details. So interesting.
Chana
I really enjoyed this book. It was interesting, and I thought she had some insightful things to say regarding boundaries, decisions, purpose and relationships. I was amazed with pioneer/can do spirit. This girl worked so hard and was awfully smart; still they nearly died of thirst and starvation, and suffered all sorts of deprivation and illness, all by choice originally. They would have died (or had to leave the island if they could have found a way off) without the help of the islanders. They ...more
Carolyn Vandine west
I think I might have read this book b4 I know I wanted to reread it will have to try to get on book loan.... If they almost starved and the island was near New Guinea probably the one I read not with that cover
Nikki Balzer
interesting read, it makes you wonder how you would handle the isolation and the other issues faced by Lucy. its one of those pipe dreams most of us have at some stage in life but never act on, I have to admire someone that travelled that journey
Louise Armstrong
I read this years ago in a haze of jealousy. I was stuck in a low-wage job and couldn't imagine how people got to travel.

I've been to the Thursday Islands now, and travelled a lot, so it was fun to reread from a different perspective. It's still an interesting book. I wish I could reread the book that G wrote as well. I remember being fascinated by how differently they related the same incidents.

The descriptions are luscious, the experiment was brave, it's well worth reading about.

The most inter
Kathy Taylor
Probably my favorite book. After all the hardship, I wonder if she ever missed the island...
Tracy
This was a very intriguing book, I think everyone wonders what it would be like to live the life of a castaway on some tropical island and this book certainly covers that topic, but I found it hard to relate to the author or to understand her motivations for choosing to do it, or for many of her other choices. I wish she had been more reflective and open of all of her decisions, and of her relationship with her companion. I appreciated her openness about the physical hardships that they endured. ...more
Khuloud Abbara
Mar 22, 2015 Khuloud Abbara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone on goodreaders
Recommended to Khuloud by: my teacher
it was a very nice book i enjoyed reading it and i liked all the detailes in the book
Jerry Triplett
I read this a couple years ago and it left me wanting more.
Mii
This book is a great read!
Ralph
A writer put out an ad seeking a 'wife' for year on tropical island. Irvine, a 25-year-old Britisher, answered that ad in 1981 and spent a year on the small uninhabited isle of Tuin in the Torres Strait between Australia and New Guinea. Their relationship went through various stages of intimacy as well as facing the problems of merely surviving periods of heat, drought, heavy rain, and having little or no food at times. In the end,.... well, you'll have to read it to find how they managed.
Gennevi
It's taken me tg the better part of my life but I am going to start commenting as she still gets more and more publicity. I have no objection to a good story and people making a life long career out of something they did. But I lived there at the time - and this was one huge lie. Isolated... really? What about the constant 'rescue' attempts of the locals to give you food - and the nights at the bar by taking a dinghy.... Lucy. You are 30 years older now. Come clean.
BL Draper

Haha....great description! I love the survivalist aspect of this book, it's endlessly fascinating to me how people survive when they have little through innovation & invention. I also love the author's honesty, she doesn't sugarcoat either his, or her own, behaviour or personalities but is refreshingly transparent about their experiences. Absolutely recommended.
Rachel
Loved this true story of a woman, tired of her city life, who answered a newspaper ad from an older man looking for someone to accompany him on an 'adventure' on a desert island for a year! It's her fantastic account of what that year was like with all its highs and lows of survival and of their love-hate relationship. Not the movie with Tom Hanks, though it was made into quite a decent film with Oliver Reed and Lucy Irving.
Helen Greenwood
I've read this book lots and lots of time. I don't know why I love it but I do. Gerald drives me nuts portrayed as he is as an intolerant sexist, and I'm not sure that Lucy would be that easy to live with either. It has gives a good insight into how happy you can be without all the trappings and inconveniences of modern living-surviving on your wits, being entirely self-reliant and sometimes monumentally brave.
Stephen
Good story. As a male, I was very intrigued by the diaretic voice of such an educated woman going through this experience of island living for a year. I really do want to eventually get to her counterparts books.

On the break of absintence from sex after weeks on the island, she says she could not believe how much she held her counterparts happiness in her own hands.
I think this may be my favorite book I love how she writes, she describes the most mundane things in the most beautiful way. I really admire how even though things didn't turn out the way they were supposed to she still took away so much from the experience and wrote such a great book. She is a very talented person with such strength and intelligence.
Gemma
This book really sucks you in and when she had to leave i really understood the pain. Having lived in Botswana and then having to say goodbye i understood the feeling when she said it felt like she had a rock under her chest. I shed a tear as well! Definately a book for wannabe adventurers who embrace culture!
Kerry
Somewhat interesting, but mostly irritating, story of two mismatched people who determined to live as castaways on a small island for one year. Their self-imposed rules were never made very clear in the book until they basically threw them all out. I wouldn't have made it a month with either of them.
  • An Island to Oneself: The Story of Six Years on a Desert Island
  • The Wrong Way Home
  • The Fruit Palace
  • The Tent, the Bucket and Me
  • Can Any Mother Help Me?
  • On Foot Through Africa
  • The Kindness of Strangers: The Autobiography
  • The Names of Things
  • Left for Dead: The Untold Story of the Greatest Disaster in Modern Sailing History
  • Arabia (Picador Books)