Castaway

Castaway

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  296 ratings  ·  37 reviews
'Writer seeks "wife" for a year on tropical island.'

The opportunity to escape from it all was irresistible. Lucy Irvine answered the advertisement - and found herself alone on a remote desert island with a 'husband' she hardly knew.

Lucy Irvine fell in love with the seductive, if cruel, beauty of that untouched Eden, whose power to enslave and enchant her never slackened th...more
Published March 1st 1984 by Random House (NY) (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Castaway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Castaway

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferCastaway by Lucy IrvineThe Gargoyle by Andrew DavidsonMy Wolf's Bane by Veronica BladeThe Vanished Child by Sarah  Smith
Non-Popular Books You SHOULD Read
2nd out of 82 books — 23 voters
Out of the Box Regifted by Jennifer TheriotOut of the Box Awakening by Jennifer TheriotAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsInstructions for a Broken Heart by Kim CulbertsonDaughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier
Vacation Reads
83rd out of 121 books — 64 voters

More lists with this book...

Kinga
I didn't read much between the ages 16-20, I was too busy rebelling and going to parties.
But I remember reading this one book. I just found it again, so I thought I would review here it for your pleasure. It was about a woman who went to live a la Robinson Cruzoe with some crazy dude and all I remember was that because of malnutrition the main character's anus became so loose her rectum would constantly fall out.

I am still traumatised.
Marycan
Amazing book... hard to read, harder to put down. I found this in a second-hand bookstore, and naturally assumed it was the basis of the Tom Hanks movie. Not. Very much, not. The other reviews tell the story pretty well, so I'll mention some other things. Gerald did go on to write his book,The Islanders, but it was not the success her book was, and to be honest, halfway through Castaway it's pretty clear that he simply does not have the urge to write or anything else. In fact, you wonder if he k...more
Nettle
Got this off my wishlist for Christmas and read it over the course of a day. Once I'd started, I couldn't put it down.

This is one of those books that gets into your head, you look away from reading it, go into the kitchen to make a drink and suddenly a part of your brain's not sure where you are. One of those books where you look out of the window and wonder why the weather is different to what it was a moment ago, when you were in the book.

Well written and all the better for the fact it's a tru...more
Kathrina
"Like a Jane Austen novel gone delirious with sun stroke." --New York Times Book Review

I don't know about the Jane Austen reference, but you're curious now, right? Immediately on reading the premise, I was too curious not to read this book. In 1981 a man puts out a want-ad looking for a "wife" to join him on a deserted island just south of Papua New Guinea. It turns out the Australian government required a man and woman to marry before living together, even on a deserted island, but it seems tha...more
GoldGato
This book was a big U.K. hit in the 1980s, as it told the story of an older man and a younger woman who spend a year together on the desert island of Tuin, off the Torres Straits of Australia. The couple are combustible from the get-go, as the man wants sex and an escape from responsibilities, while the woman wants to find herself. Never a good combination.

Now add drought, lack of supplies, and starvation to the sexual friction, and the story really gets good. Lucy Irvine tells the true tale fro...more
Lisa
Aug 27, 2009 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Women and men.
If you still daydream about the drama and romance of "roughing it" on a desert island with a complete stranger who isn't Clive Owen or at least George Clooney, read this. Not to be confused with a very trite movie starring a very trite male star, this is a true story. They become castaways on purpose, when Lucy Irvine answers a newspaper ad looking for a companion for an "adventure". This adventure consists of living on a desert island with a total stranger, in hopes of eventual romance. Well, s...more
Suzanne
Well. What an interesting book. This is the true story of two strangers spending a year on an island in 1981-1982. Lucy Irvine answers an ad to be a "wife" for a year with a man who wants to spend a year on a deserted island and then write a book about it. It is not clear whether the expectation of sex was set forth ahead of time; however, when they find an island (Tuin, in the Torres Straits) the government will not allow them to live there unless they are legally married. Once on the island Lu...more
Rob Bliss
I love this book and hope I read it several times in a lifetime.

Lucy didn't have formal education after the age of 13, and she writes better than tons of pro writers. She knows what she's doing.

She's more independant than most people -- I didnt think a single person could be that independant. She wants to live in an island, she's gonna live on an island, dammit.

Even with the hell that paradise can be, she and G survive it, and Im envious.

Thats really why I loved this book so much (well, I fell i...more
aldabra
When I found this book abandoned on the shelf of my favorite second-hand store, I was afraid it would be some sort of survival challenge tailored for TV or a plea for world peace straight out of the Flower Power movement. After all, the tagline above (i.e. Writer seeks "wife" for a year on tropical island) isn't exactly reassuring.

I'm glad I didn't let this put me off. Instead, it turned out to be the simple story of a man and woman living for a year on a wild island, not trying to prove anythi...more
Chana
I really enjoyed this book. It was interesting, and I thought she had some insightful things to say regarding boundaries, decisions, purpose and relationships. I was amazed with pioneer/can do spirit. This girl worked so hard and was awfully smart; still they nearly died of thirst and starvation, and suffered all sorts of deprivation and illness, all by choice originally. They would have died (or had to leave the island if they could have found a way off) without the help of the islanders. They...more
Louise Armstrong
I read this years ago in a haze of jealousy. I was stuck in a low-wage job and couldn't imagine how people got to travel.

I've been to the Thursday Islands now, and travelled a lot, so it was fun to reread from a different perspective. It's still an interesting book. I wish I could reread the book that G wrote as well. I remember being fascinated by how differently they related the same incidents.

The descriptions are luscious, the experiment was brave, it's well worth reading about.

The most inter...more
Kathy Taylor
Probably my favorite book. After all the hardship, I wonder if she ever missed the island...
Tracy
This was a very intriguing book, I think everyone wonders what it would be like to live the life of a castaway on some tropical island and this book certainly covers that topic, but I found it hard to relate to the author or to understand her motivations for choosing to do it, or for many of her other choices. I wish she had been more reflective and open of all of her decisions, and of her relationship with her companion. I appreciated her openness about the physical hardships that they endured....more
Jerry Triplett
I read this a couple years ago and it left me wanting more.
Ralph
A writer put out an ad seeking a 'wife' for year on tropical island. Irvine, a 25-year-old Britisher, answered that ad in 1981 and spent a year on the small uninhabited isle of Tuin in the Torres Strait between Australia and New Guinea. Their relationship went through various stages of intimacy as well as facing the problems of merely surviving periods of heat, drought, heavy rain, and having little or no food at times. In the end,.... well, you'll have to read it to find how they managed.
Gennevi
It's taken me tg the better part of my life but I am going to start commenting as she still gets more and more publicity. I have no objection to a good story and people making a life long career out of something they did. But I lived there at the time - and this was one huge lie. Isolated... really? What about the constant 'rescue' attempts of the locals to give you food - and the nights at the bar by taking a dinghy.... Lucy. You are 30 years older now. Come clean.
BL Draper

Haha....great description! I love the survivalist aspect of this book, it's endlessly fascinating to me how people survive when they have little through innovation & invention. I also love the author's honesty, she doesn't sugarcoat either his, or her own, behaviour or personalities but is refreshingly transparent about their experiences. Absolutely recommended.
Rachel
Loved this true story of a woman, tired of her city life, who answered a newspaper ad from an older man looking for someone to accompany him on an 'adventure' on a desert island for a year! It's her fantastic account of what that year was like with all its highs and lows of survival and of their love-hate relationship. Not the movie with Tom Hanks, though it was made into quite a decent film with Oliver Reed and Lucy Irving.
Helen Greenwood
I've read this book lots and lots of time. I don't know why I love it but I do. Gerald drives me nuts portrayed as he is as an intolerant sexist, and I'm not sure that Lucy would be that easy to live with either. It has gives a good insight into how happy you can be without all the trappings and inconveniences of modern living-surviving on your wits, being entirely self-reliant and sometimes monumentally brave.
Stephen
Good story. As a male, I was very intrigued by the diaretic voice of such an educated woman going through this experience of island living for a year. I really do want to eventually get to her counterparts books.

On the break of absintence from sex after weeks on the island, she says she could not believe how much she held her counterparts happiness in her own hands.
I think this may be my favorite book I love how she writes, she describes the most mundane things in the most beautiful way. I really admire how even though things didn't turn out the way they were supposed to she still took away so much from the experience and wrote such a great book. She is a very talented person with such strength and intelligence.
Gemma
This book really sucks you in and when she had to leave i really understood the pain. Having lived in Botswana and then having to say goodbye i understood the feeling when she said it felt like she had a rock under her chest. I shed a tear as well! Definately a book for wannabe adventurers who embrace culture!
Kerry
Somewhat interesting, but mostly irritating, story of two mismatched people who determined to live as castaways on a small island for one year. Their self-imposed rules were never made very clear in the book until they basically threw them all out. I wouldn't have made it a month with either of them.
Lois
Interesting story of a couple who did not really think through what they were getting into in this "adventure". An idealistic and often foolish experiment that reminds me of the 60's and how naive we were. The book explained her motivation, but I wondered throughout what his expectations were.
Laura Hutchinson
An interesting insight into the mind of a fascinating person who thinks nothing of marrying someone she doesn't even know, to live on a sun bleached island for a year. It is very honest and she reveals everything that happened on the island in gritty detail. Very descriptive.
Nyie Rombeng
this book isn't popular or familiar for some people.but have a thousand moral lesson & life experience,seriously.
everyone surely don't want to be castaway person,in here castaway brings a new hope into survive instict.gives word"never back down!",very helpful & hopeful:)
Victoria
It is hard to believe that anyone would attempt - by choice - a year on a tropical island so ill-prepared and ignorant. I would be sympathetic to a real castaway; I found the story of these two characters irritating.
Paul Tercel
Thoroughly enjoyed this book, and sort of fell in love with Lucy a bit too! A true story from a time when an adventure like this could still happen. Well worth the effort.
Sheri Meshal
One of my all-time favorites, a true story and a riveting read. Love it, love it, love it... need to read it again!
Katie Mcsweeney
I really enjoyed it but more for the idea behind it than for the people involved.
  • An Island to Oneself: The Story of Six Years on a Desert Island
  • The Kindness of Strangers: The Autobiography
  • The Wrong Way Home
  • Can Any Mother Help Me?
  • Malaria Dreams: An African Adventure