Blank-133x176
Who Let He Dogs In

Molly Ivins

Who Let He Dogs In

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  320 ratings  ·  40 reviews
The dazzling, inimitable Molly Ivins is back, with her own personal Hall of Fame of America’s most amazing and outlandish politicians–the wicked, the wise, the witty, and the witless–drawn from more than twenty years of reporting on the folks who attempt to run our government (in some cases, into the ground).

Who Let the Dogs In? takes us on a wild ride through two decades...more
Audio CD
Published July 27th 2004 by Random House (first published 2004)

James
A very good book from near the end of Molly Ivins' career and life; she died too young and is needed now as much as ever. This is a funny read, but at the same time, I found myself feeling sad and discouraged as I thought over the events of the last several years in American politics and our economy, environment, and culture. Sometimes the good guys lose, and we may not be able to get back everything that's been lost, stolen, or destroyed.
Cheryl Gatling
This book is a collection of Molly Ivins old newspaper columns. As such, it's all old news. It's topical, and it's dated. I learned many things about the politics of the recent past. But I learned more about what kind of human being Molly Ivins was. The more I read, the more I loved her. She was smart, and laugh-out-loud funny, and I might have loved her for that alone, but I loved her more dearly for her deep-rooted decency, and belief in this country. She believes that government is supposed t...more
Katy
For those of you who don't know, Molly Ivins was a political journalist and humorist. She was born and raised in Texas and as her career grew she moved from Texas politics to the national stage. She was a Texas liberal, a rare breed indeed. She wrote a syndicated column, and this book is a collection of some of those columns.

I really enjoyed this book. The author has a gift for writing as a home-spun Texan, full of idioms and southern commentary, yet I still found myself needing a dictionary eve...more
Ari
Let's start with the downsides: this is a fairly comprehensive collection of Ivins' work, and, as such, treads a lot of familiar ground. Her chapters worth of insights on Clinton, Bush and the big-name scandals of years past are nothing fresh; and lacking currentness, the constant exhortations along the same few lines - Clinton is a great politician and an upbeat guy, Bush isn't as dumb as you think - are a little tiring.

But that's not why you're reading this book. You're reading it for Ivins' f...more
Genie
Those who say no one is irreplaceable, obviously never read the political writings of Molly Ivans.
During the forty + years of reporting on politics for both the Ft.Worth Star Telegram and the Texas Observer, Ivans gave political analysis with both insight and a sharp wit. This book is a compilation of her best articles written during the Nixon years and continuing through the G.W. Bush administration.

One of the best political satirist in journalism, Ivins never relied on the use of humor alone....more
Margie
Whereas most of Molly's earlier books focused on a particular era (Bushwacked, for instance, is from when the Shrub was in office), this is a compilation of pieces she wrote from the time Bush the Elder was in office. They're not her best pieces (those, of course, were published in her previous books), but Molly Ivins when she wasn't at her best was funnier and more insightful than most people. Reading this collection mostly made me miss her, but also rekindled the joy of reading her work.
Kate
"The dazzling, inimitable Molly Ivins is back, with her own personal Hall of Fame of America's most amazing and outlandish politicians -- the wicked, the wise, the witty, and the witless -- drawn from more than twenty years of reporting on the folks who attempt to run our government (in some cases, into the ground).

Who Let the Dogs In? takes us on a wild ride through two decades of political life, from Ronald Regan, through Big George and Bill Clinton, to 9our current top dog, known to Ivins rea...more
kate
Aaaawwwwwwhhhhhhh.....blatant bleeding heart liberal. It has been so long since I read or heard one.

This is a good sampler of her work - a couple of decades of washington politics and texan politics (how does a liberal love texas?) from the perspective of someone who writes like she is a warm, intelligent, funny idealist.

Reliving the frustration with the Clinton administration and the devastation of the Bush administration turning from predictable Republican shenanigans to a glimpse into somethi...more
A.
Bless the late, great Molly Ivins. How I wish her particular brand of intelligent Texan snark was still around, because heaven knows the country deserves it. As a child of the 80s, I was mostly familiar with Ivins' comments on George W. Bush and Rick Perry; it was a treat (and educational) to read her writings on Clinton and George Bush, given I was busy being in elementary school at the times of their presidencies.

I also admit that as a Southerner (not Texan, but with Texan parents) she does m...more
Jill
A collection of her newspaper columns about politics and/or the people in them. She covers Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II, various Texas politicians, and a bunch of commentary about various other people. Never say she didn't tell you what you needed to know about them!

It can be a long read because the content is rather heavy, even when lightened with humor. It is interesting to read it from the vantage point of 7 1/2 years of Dubya - she called it and so many of the things she was trying to g...more
Colleen Martin
This isn't a book of new material, but rather a compilation of some of the articles Molly Ivins wrote throughout her 40-year political reporting career. Her insight is amazing and, nine times out of ten, spot-on. If every American listened to her common sense approach to politics and government, we'd probably be in a better place today. No one is safe - regardless of what party you belong to, if you're an elected official and you screw up, you will be eviscerated in print. I especially like her...more
Jimyanni
This book is essentially a "greatest hits" album; it's a retrospective on Molly's best political commentary over the last 20-30 years of her life (running from Reagan to W. Bush). Any long-time fan will have seen most or all of these columns before. But they ARE a selection of her best work, and that makes it quite good indeed. Don't read it if you've read everything she's ever read & don't want reruns, but other than that, highly recommended.
Gene
Has Molly Ivins really been gone five years?

The world without her is a much poorer and sadder place.

This book which details years of observation of various political animals is a great place to get to know Molly as well. Her observations on the Great State (eg-Texas) and the political theater to be found there are priceless. I'm unhappy we didn't get a book about the Tea Party from her. It would've been funny and true. RIP, Molly.
Beetletheknee
This book was really interesting because SHE was really interesting. She's got such a way with words, and her attitude and perspective are refreshing in a sort of caustic way. I think I'd very much like to read her other books, especially more focused on current political ... uh, characters, because for the most part, many of the people she skewered in here I've never heard of. Still funny though!
Steve
I'm enjoying this. Well, enjoying isn't quite the right word but Molly still makes me laugh. Yes, it is dated but when you read things about Reagan for example as they happened and then see how they still affect us today, you have to laugh or shake you head.

On another point, I always enjoy her stories about John Henry Faulk and then cry that he is gone too.
Audrey
Jan 25, 2008 Audrey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jackie, Brandie, Emma, Tom
After hearing an interview on national public radio, I decided to read this book and see if it lived up to the billing. It did. This is a hilarious account of political lives. However, it also chronicles the corporate political ties that have developed through the years and our decaying bill of rights. Give it a read and see what you think.
Candice
I miss Molly Ivins. That's why I bought this book of some of her collected political satire. Turns out there was plenty to laugh about even before the current Bush administration. And she does it with such wit and style! Reminds me that things were bad back then too before I really paid any attention to politics. May she rest in peace!
Haley
My only regret of reading this book is that the wonderful and talented Molly Ivins won't be around to write more. She connects to people in a way that I wish more people in government would. Her writing is not only funny, engaging and incredibly informed but also damn feisty. I recommend this book to everyone!
Hollis
A fabulous selection of op-eds from the past 20 years. Molly is so pithy and just tells it like it is. On Bill Clinton: Couldn't he keep his penis in his pants for 8 short years? She died several decades too young. I would have liked to have read her commentary on the 2010's and 20's.
Paul Dinger
Molly Ivins sadly passed away recently and it is still a national tragedy. This book shows she is a lot more than just a critic of the Bush administration. This is a great read for her views on politics for the last thirty years. I couldn't put it down it was so interesting.
Em
A good collection of classic Ivins, but it gets almost a little too comprehensive toward the end. The discussions of national politicians and personalities is much more interesting than the local folks that populate most of the end of the book.
Allison
Pretty funny, edgy, great for the current event politically savvy. Both politicl parties provide material for the comedic discourse. Ivins is so right-on with her sarcastic and pointed talks.
TJ
Molly Ivins is a great story teller and a great writer. She had a keen eye for the truth and absurdity in daily living and in politics. I only wish more people had listened to her insights on W.
Molly Ivins is an author who is sure to make you laugh and then think. This book was no exception. After laughing, you might then feel the pain of the reality Ivins describes.
Laura Hinrichs
Molly Ivins was one of my favorite political writers. She told us not to vote for a guy from Texas, and it sure looks like she knew what she was talking about!
Rochelle
I love Molly Ivins and deeply admire her ability to bring humor to an ugly situation. I read her column regularly when I lived in Texas and really enjoyed this book.
David
Molly was right (small "r") about everything. Kind of depressing to read about the Right (capital "R") for the last 15 years. What a collection of bumblers.
Robin Rose
Oct 04, 2011 Robin Rose is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-read
I enjoyed what I read but didn't finish the book. It would have been better if I had read it when the political figures were actually in office.
Boris
Fun to read anecdotes about politicians. Worth reading if only to remind us that you can never underestimate how low our elected officials can go.
Jason Stanford
A cynical disappointment. More declarations of ethics and raging against the night than descriptions of corruption and bad behavior.
  • Bushworld
  • What Liberal Media?: The Truth about Bias and the News
  • Molly Ivins: A Rebel Life
  • Memo to the President Elect LP: How We Can Restore America's Reputation and Leadership
  • Chain of Command: The Road from 9/11 to Abu Ghraib
  • Static: Government Liars, Media Cheerleaders, and the People Who Fight Back
  • The Junior Officers' Reading Club: Killing Time And Fighting Wars
  • The Three Trillion Dollar War: The True Cost of the Iraq Conflict
  • Homegrown Democrat: A Few Plain Thoughts from the Heart of America
  • The Commanders
  • Retirement Heist: How Companies Plunder and Profit from the Nest Eggs of American Workers
  • Spanking the Donkey: Dispatches from the Dumb Season
  • 1916: The Easter Rising
  • The Family: The Real Story of the Bush Dynasty
  • All the Trouble in the World
  • That's Mr. Faggot to You: Further Trials from My Queer Life
  • Free for All: Fixing School Food in America (California Studies in Food and Culture, 28)
  • Philistines at the Hedgerow: Passion and Property in the Hamptons
American newspaper columnist, political commentator, and best-selling author from Austin, Texas.

More about Molly Ivins...
Bushwhacked: Life in George W. Bush's America Shrub: The Short but Happy Political Life of George W. Bush Molly Ivins Can't Say That, Can She? You Got to Dance with Them What Brung You Bill of Wrongs: The Executive Branch's Assault on America's Fundamental Rights