Start by marking “The Slayer Chronicles: First Kill” as Want to Read:
The Slayer Chronicles: First Kill

The Slayer Chronicles: First Kill (The Slayer Chronicles #1)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  3,299 ratings  ·  298 reviews

Heather Brewer's five volume Chronicles of Vladimir Tod tracked its vampire hero through five school years of biting and other acts of mayhem. Now Vlad's cousin Joss Mcmillan, who appeared in the series, takes center stage in an offshoot epic that promises to attract readers not afraid to listen to a different paranormal drummer. Joss is a Slayer with uncommon, indeed uniq

Published September 20th 2011 by Penguin Group (USA)

To ask other readers questions about The Slayer Chronicles, please sign up.

Noah Smith Yes it is. I like seeing both sides of the story. Heather Brewer has shown us the stories of to people on opposite sides. Usually, readers only get to…moreYes it is. I like seeing both sides of the story. Heather Brewer has shown us the stories of to people on opposite sides. Usually, readers only get to read about one side. It is nice to know both perspectives.(less)

Mike (the Paladin)
....this book is very young, and sadly very (in my opinion of course) very poorly written.

Now, I know that's a subjective statement and I'm sure many will like this book. It's all a matter of taste but I was really....REALLY glad to put it aside.

First the dialogue. I write and one of the things I'm never satisfied with in my own manuscripts is the dialogue. Here the conversations always (for me of course) came across as stilted and stiff.

Aside from that there is very little plot at all other th
Bookworm007
Dan
I don’t usually read young-adult novels. Not that I have anything against them… I suppose I’m not usually drawn to them I guess. From Heather Brewer; New York Times best-selling author of The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod comes The Slayer Chronicles: First Kill. This book made me open my wallet at the bookstore and purchase it is because it’s about vampire hunters…and those are my favorite kind of vampire stories.

A vampire kills Joss McMillan’s six-year-old sister. At the funeral, his uncle, Abrah
Mike (the Paladin)

Aside from that there is very little plot at all other th
Shawna
TL
Jun 14, 2014 TL rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to TL by: Found on sale at Ollie's
Interesting idea of a novel, but with many ups and downs, for me at least. Joss I did love in the first half and a few of the Slayers but it started grating on me a bit around halfway through (though not enough to DNF it).

I get that Joss wants to avenger his sister's death (Little Cecile warmed my heart, even though we don't get much time with her) but his constant 'devotion' to this society got on my nerves and I wanted to shake him a couple times.

This 'Society' as a whole didn't seem worthy of
Chels Reynoso
First kill by Heather Brewer is the gruesome story of a young boy, Joss McMillan, who is pushed into a new reality when he witnesses his baby sister’s cruel death at the hands of a bloody vampire. I know what you’re thinking, oh god not another Twilight knock off, well stop right there! This book is actually from the contrasting perspective of a vampire slayer. Bewer switches things up by enlightening us readers to a slayer’s world of vivid violence-- I personally loved this alternative take. T ...more
Rachel
I reviewed this book about a reluctant teenage vampire for Deseret Connect, and I think that a certain audience will really, really love it (teenagers and certain YA vampire enthusiasts). For me, I am happy that I liked it--it ended on two satisfying twists. Prose was pretty boring, honestly, and Joss's thoughts are full of cliches like "he would never know how much I needed mentoring" (not an actual quote). I'll link my full review later. Some things I wanted to mention but were to persnickety ...more
Christian West
A story of 13yo Joss who is destined to be a vampire slayer. The book centres around his training.

In reality the book spends an inordinate amount of time with the protagonist being physically abused by everyone. The rest of the time is him being upset about his sister being killed by a vampire.

In all honesty, it came across to me as a story about a boy being indoctrinated into a cult. At the start he at least questions their motives and aims but by the end he seems willing to believe anything h
Stephen
I should probably start by saying that I hated the character of Joss McMillan in the Vlad Tod series. Therefore, I really expected to hate this before I started it. Well, I still hate Joss, but I didn’t hate the book. Unfortunately, I didn’t fall in love with it either, as I did with Eighth Grade Bites.

The story was interesting and well written. Author Heather Brewer continues her uncanny knack for fully understanding and flawlessly translating teen boy angst to the printed page. Joss, our hero,
Brian Asencio
Heather Brewer successful series of The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod was awesome. Now with her new book series The Slayer Chronicles it starts with the character from Vladimir Tod, Joss. This is about how Joss joined the slayer society and how his sister died. Challenges of life can be painful. It worths having challenges because it teaches you life lessons and confidence in yourself. After his sister was killed by a vampire, he trains to be a slayer. He is under training under his uncle, Abraham ...more
Amber
Joss Mcmillan becomes a slayer. A slayer of bloodthirsty vampires. He does this to set his little sister’s soul to rest. When Joss was ten years old he witnessed his six-year-old sister’s death. He saw the streak of dark blood flow from her little neck; he saw the red lipped monster standing over the lifeless girl. He froze with fear, he feels he to blame for his sister’s untimely death. His sister- Cecile haunted his dreams. She taunted him in the nightmares blaming him for her death. Joss drea ...more
Sophia Lin
Original Review posted on Bookwyrming Thoughts

Note: Formatting has been lost due to copy and paste.

Joss has always had this perfect life – good parents, a super close cousin that can pass as a best friend, and an ever so adorable little sister – until she was murdered. Then his life goes downhill from there and he discovers a group of vampire slayers that some of his family members are a part of for generations that can help avenge his sister's death.

I thought The Slayer Chronicles would be a s
Reading Vacation
Joss Macmillan (yes, THAT Joss Macmillan) has a tragic past. He once had a little sister, Cecile, who was his reason for living, his only friend. When Joss was ten, Cecile died at the hands of a vampire. Distraught and seeking revenge, Joss began training as a vampire slayer. Now, three years later, Joss prepares to put his skills into action.

If you like action, you will go wild for Joss’ vampire slayer training. There are rituals, explosives, hand-to-hand combat, and agonizing fight scenes. Sin
Lorena
This book completely pummeled the idea of sparkly vampires. ‘First Kill’ was written for real vampire fans, and those who are not vampires fans as well.
Heather Brewer put her audience into the world of a young boy who despises blood suckers. After he is told of his family’s secret heritage of the Slayer Society, he begins his vampire slayer training as their new recruit. Throughout his brutal education of being a slayer, we learn his reasoning for his fuel.
‘First Kill’ is full of surprises, su
Shyma
A story of a vampire slayer named Joss would be told in this book series. As for those who read The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, Joss happened to be Vladimir's friend, and this book shows the background and the view of a slayer.

In this book, Joss swore to become a great slayer after the horrible incident that flipped his world. He will be facing physical and spiritual challenges including proving himself to his uncle and become a great slayer.

The perfect American family description at the beginni
Glittery Mango (Ealee)
First Kill was good... but it wasn't really nearly as good as The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod. The Slayer Chronicles is off to a pretty decent start, it's just that not much happened in this book, I could definitely understand Joss's emotional conflicts and how he was taking in everything in his surroundings, but it just wasn't as well as portrayed. First Kill in the end twines in with some foreshadowing of the events of the Chronicles of Vladimir Tod. This book had an unexpected twist in the plo ...more
Mel Satran
The first book to "The Slayer Chronicles," is a great spin of " The Chronicles of Vladimir Todd." It is in the view of what the vampire slayer that was sent to kill Vladimir, what he had to do, to get where he was when he put a stake throught Vlad's chest.
The slayer's name is Joss and hated to witness the death of his little sister's death. Though her death was not like normal deaths. She was killed by a vampire and had all the blood drained from her little body. No one would ever want to wat
Bianca Lara
This book is about thirteen year old boy learning how to be a vampire slayer.I guess the setting is like modern times,because the book has things we have today.It all starts by Joss and his loving family sleeping.He suddenly hears his little sister scream,her name was Cecile.Yes that right was, as in past tense.You see Cecile didn’t scream because of a nightmare,she screamed because her life was slowly fading away.A vampire snuck in her room and did what vampires do best.Joss swore vengeance aga ...more
Veronica
This is the first in a series of Slayer Chonicles, a spin-off from the Chronicles of Vladimir Tod series.

Joss McMillan witnessed a vampire killing his beloved sister, Cecile. Cecile is the one person Joss had a strong connection with in his life, and now that she's gone he's adrift. His parents neglect him and at school he has no friends. He feels like the Invisible Boy.

At Cecile's funeral Uncle Abraham approaches Joss to learn the cause of Cecile's death. They conclude it was a vampire. Joss is
Javyan Collins
This book is about a boy named Joss McMillan who learns a secret that he must never tell. He lost one of the most important things to him and because of that he will do everything he can to avenge it. He meets a group of people who will change his life completely. Joss is determined to be the best Vampire slayer he can be.

I absolutely loved this book. I hope one day they make a movie based off of it. It mixes real teenage problems with fantasy action that just blows your mind. I don’t like the w
Braden Petersen
This book is really good! This is a series but you have to read The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod first for it to make any sense. This is about Joss McMillan who's sister was murdered by a vampire. Then, Joss learns he is vampire slayer. He goes to a cabin in the woods with his uncle Abraham to be trained. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes fiction, adventure, and action books. Also, a little mystery plays into it. I really like this book and you should read it too!
Jessica
***Spoiler Alert***

Do you ever want to make a person payback for what they did? Well in this book Joss does. The Genre of this book is Fiction. This book is fiction because Vampires are not real. Joss wants revenge on a vampire who killed his sister. I likes this book alot i dont know if you will so here is my review.

The setting mostly takes place in a forest were there isnt much people. So it all started when Joss was going to go on a trip with his cousin and was so excited. His little sister C
Bookworm
Sydney
While reading The Slayer Chronicles, I thought the story was really well put together. I thought it put more action scenes that related up to the series of, The Chronicles of Vladimir Todd. The main character, Joss McMillan, is put through a series of different challenges to accomplish becoming the youngest slayer to have been. On his way there, he is put through a purification ceremony. In other words, he had to be out on top of a mountain for a month, I believe, without food, water, sleep, or ...more
Rachel MacNaught
I REALLY ENJOYED THIS. I DON'T CARE. LEAVE ME ALONE.
I REALISED WHAT THE PRAVUS MEANT, AND THE CONNECTION TO THAT OTHER SERIES, ONLY ON THE LAST PAGE OR TWO. IT WAS AN EXCITING EXPERIENCE.
end capslock of defense.
i genuinely enjoyed this story. it felt lumpy, but the 'twist' kind of took me by surprise (i had suspected, but not to that level) and how the characters reacted to it in the final book really surprised me. no happy ending, and i was preparing myself for illogical and halfbaked resolut
Gunnar King
I personally enjoyed reading this book along with the Vampire series related to it and cannot wait to start reading book two of the slayer chronicles! I enjoyed reading this book because it has a great story line along with good characters. The author Heather Brewer does a great job of explaining the relationships between the characters! In the first book of the slayer chronicle series "First Kill" the story puts you in the Perspective of a young boy named Joss McMillian who had witnessed the de ...more
Daniel Nelson
This is a book filled with death, be trail and a will to avenge a rest less spirit. Joss Mcmillan witnesses the death of his little sister and it is not a normal death, she was drained of her blood by a monster. At his sisters funeral Josses uncle offers for him to join a secret society known as the slayer society. He joins the society and is trained in one of the cruelest ways.
In the end he is he betrayed by his fellow slayers and his friend. The other slayers learn that he was not the one t
Roxanne
First Bite got off to a really rough start for me it seemed. It felt like the story was kind of choppy and didn't flow all that well, but it really grew on me by the end of the book somehow. I'm having a hard time piecing together why I even like this book in the first place but I'd say that I liked it for two reasons: one, I have a lot of nostalgia for the Chronicles of Vladimir Tod series and two, I liked that this book returned to non romantic vampires. I guess I also liked that it was from a ...more
Mande
Rating: 3.4
The writing of the book was done well and Heather Brewer did a good job she has in the past. I rated this story based on how it was written and how it flowed; not on my opinion.
I understand why she wrote this book. I understand why this side of the story had to be told. Unfortunately I did not like Joss's character in the first book series. I rooted for Vlad. This book is the darker side of what happens in the first series.
Racist cult. Really, that's how I see the Slayer Society. Bra
How does Slayer fit into Vlad Tod? 2 7 Sep 30, 2013 06:50AM
Is Joss whiny? 10 12 Sep 23, 2013 07:01AM
The Chronicles Of...: The Slayer Chronicles: First Kill 5 8 May 15, 2013 01:59PM
  • Voice of the Undead (Alex Van Helsing #2)
  • Red Moon Rising
  • The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group
  • Blood Ninja (Blood Ninja, #1)
  • The Triad of Finity (Oliver Nocturne, #6)
  • Vamped (Vamped, #1)
  • Night Road
  • Eve of Destruction (Dark Eden, #2)
  • Almost Final Curtain (Vampire Princess of St. Paul, #2)
  • Vampire Kisses: Graveyard Games, Volume 1
  • Suck It Up (Suck It Up, #1)
  • The Death Catchers
  • Palace of the Damned (The Saga of Larten Crepsley, #3)
  • Skeleton Key: The Graphic Novel (Alex Rider: The Graphic Novel, #3)
  • Here Lies Linc
  • Sweep: Volume 5 (Sweep, #13-15)
  • Sucks to Be Me: The All-True Confessions of Mina Hamilton, Teen Vampire (maybe) (Sucks to Be Me, #1)
Heather Brewer was not your typical teen growing up. She wore black, danced under full moons and devoured every book in sight.
She hasn’t changed much.

Today, Heather can be found writing in her funky, black Happy Bunny jammie pants, dancing under the full moon, devouring every book in sight, and attending Renaissance Festivals in costume (and in character).

When Heather's not writing, dressing up,
More about Heather Brewer...

The Slayer Chronicles (3 books)
  • Second Chance (The Slayer Chronicles, #2)
  • Third Strike (The Slayer Chronicles, #3)
Eighth Grade Bites (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, #1) Ninth Grade Slays (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, #2) Tenth Grade Bleeds (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, #3) Eleventh Grade Burns (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, #4) Twelfth Grade Kills (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, #5)

“Because pieces of your heart clearly weigh more when they're sitting shattered at the bottom of your stomach.” 125 likes
“What are we going to blow up?"
Morgan sighed happily and slapped joss on the back. " Kid... you just said my seven favorite words.”
25 likes