Start by marking “Hostage in Havana (The Cuban Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
Hostage in Havana (The Cuban Trilogy #1)

Hostage in Havana (The Cuban Trilogy #1)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  223 ratings  ·  28 reviews
From bestselling ABA author Noel Hynd comes this new series set against the backdrop of Havana, an explosive capital city of faded charm locked in the past and torn by political intrigue. U.S. Treasury Agent Alexandra LaDuca leaves her Manhattan home on an illegal mission to Cuba that could cost her everything. Accompanying her is the attractive but dangerous Paul Guarneri ...more
Published June 2011 (first published April 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hostage in Havana, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hostage in Havana

Derek Dowell
Overall
For whatever quibbles I might have with certain parts of this ebook, the only thing that matters is, yes, I’ll probably buy books two and three of the trilogy when they come out. IF the price is right. Hynd isn’t a spectacular writer but is quite serviceable. In this wild west world of indie publishing, finding someone with a modicum of control over the alphabet is a bonus. But where he really shines is research. I’m a Cuban history junkie who learned a thing or two from Hostage in Havana
Victor Gentile
Noel Hynd in his new book, "Hostage In Havana" Book One in The Cuban Trilogy series published by Zondervan takes us back into the life of Alexandra LaDuca as she is plunged into new espionage involving Cuba.

From the back cover: U.S. Treasury Agent Alexandra LaDuca leaves her Manhattan home on an illegal mission to Cuba that could cost her everything. At stake? Her life ... and the solution to a decades-old mystery, the recovery of a large amount of cash, and the return of an expatriate American
Tammy
Noel Hynd brings another great read in Hostage In Havana the first book in the Cuban Trilogy!
Fiesty U.S. Treasury agent, Alexander LaDuca (Alex for short) has found out that "The Dosi family is planning a counterattack....They've been hired to kill you." (p. 72) In the next few pages the action, the adventure and the romance are all spell bounding!
Alex has two missions that she must accomplish: First, she must meet up
with Roland Violette, an exiled agent, who has traded names of undercover spi
Christian Fiction Addiction
U.S. Treasury Agent Alexandra LaDuca, the star agent who headlines the Russian Trilogy, also by Noel Hynd, returns in book one of a new series entitled The Cuban Trilogy. Hostage in Havana opens with a threat on Alex's life, one that leads her to make the decision to partner on a questionable mission into Cuba with Paul Guarneri, a Cuban-born exile who has family ties to the Mob. When Alex and Paul's entry into Cuba almost results in their capture, they find themselves on the run from Cuban poli ...more
Deb
The first 100 pages or so moved to slowly for me and with too much background information. The characters were not fully developed so I never felt invested in caring about the main character Alex. I never realy knew how felt or what her personality really was. The character I felt most drawn too was Thea and she only appeared briefly. Something about how she was portrayed made me like her and I might be interested in knowing more about her life in Cuba.

This is the second book that I have read re
Debbie
I know there are lots of 5 star ratings on this and maybe I would have given it a 5 star if...I had know to start out with the Russian Trilogy where the main character Alexandra LaDuca was introduced. In Hostage in Havana, as things were mentioned about her past I felt left out, like I was missing some important events and didn't understand why the author was not explaining it more. Then at the end of the book I see the advertisements of the Russian Trilogy where it all starts with Alex. So, if ...more
Teri Pre
Well, I had a few problems with the premise of this book. In the first place, it's not all that difficult for an American to get into Cuba. People do it all the time!! Ok, it's not exactly illegal...actually, it IS legal to go there but illegal to spend money there!!

But that doesn't prevent a lot of Americans from getting a flight from Mexico to visit Cuba!! And since Alex was going there with a Mexican passport and Paul was going with a Canadian one, why the heck did they have to get smuggled i
Molly
A decent suspense thriller, nothing particularly exciting, but passable entertainment. Definitely a step up from other suspense wannabes, which turn you off and sound fake from the first page.

Hostage in Havana opens well and lets you cozy up with the characters enough to make you want to follow them.

I'm not comfortable with the type used: it's not standard, and sticks out as I was reading. It feels too casual and amateurish, like it was for a fun teen book.

The cover is odd, too. There is a gir
Good but not great. An interesting blend of action/adventure/espionage thriller meets relationship drama with a Christian character or two, including our protagonist Alex(andra). She isn't as compelling an individual as I would prefer; I found it difficult to care much about her personal/professional angst.
It reminded me of crossover music, in the sense that it's not really good enough as one or the other to stand in either camp, thriller or "christian" novel, and thus winds up existing in a lar
Laurel
This one left me cold. The main character was probably developed in an earlier series but not enough here to care. Reading about Cuban-American relations was interesting but there was way too much set up for such a basic plot. Will not read the rest of the trilogy.
Terry Cornell
The first of Noel Hynd's new trilogy starring Alex LaDuca. An entertaining spy thriller set mostly in modern day Cuba. His previous series with this character followed her through Kiev, Egypt, and Spain. His writing is very descriptive of her locale, almost as you're traveling along with her and seeing the sights. As with her other exploits, Alex relies on her christian faith to strengthen her through her ordeals. The only reason I gave this book three stars versus four, is that I felt towards t ...more
Libby
What appealed to me about this thriller was the pacing, the story, and the possible historical ramifications (i.e., conspiracy theory about Kennedy assassination and the Cuban connection), which are always interesting to speculate on. However, the characters were wooden and not really interesting, and the literary quality of the writing was sorely lacking. Finally, repetitive typos (burley for burly, gate for gait, and another one I can't quite remember) were annoying and further lowered my esti ...more
Katie
An adventurous read that I really enjoyed! Occasionally the writing was a bit awkward or the character's feelings told to the reader instead of shown, but a fun read nonetheless.

I'd recommend it to mature readers, though. Alex poses as a man's wife to sneak into Cuba and, consequently, they sleep in the same room. They don't do anything, but some of there conversation is mature.
Lisa
When I got about 40% into this book I decided I didn't care whether she ever got out of Cuba, and she hadn't even left yet. There was nothing there that made me want to care about the main character, Alex. I decided to quit reading it, but a week or so later I pushed on & finished. I'm glad I did, only because I hate to be a quitter, but I don't think I'll read the rest of the series.
Bette Uwarow
Read the Russian trilogy first and you will get more from this series as he builds with each book. I love historical accuracy and he does his homework well.
Tgirl
This book is probably my least favorite book that I've read in a long time. The book has a bunch of CSI lingo that made the book more of a law textbook than a fun read. Then the characters weren's very well developed and so on and so forth. Those are my main two complaints of this book, but the list would continue.
Audrey Grant
My one problem with this book was the "Christian" lady who cussed and drank and spent the night in the bed with a guy when she could have slept on the couch. Not a good testimony at all. She acted like just because they didn't have sex she was a-ok...I don't agree with that. She could have made better choices.
Susan
This was a good attention grabber that kept me engrossed to the end. There was plenty of action /adventure/thriller with some Cuban history mixed in which I found interesting. I did not feel a great connection with the characters though. It is mostly clean with some adult topics discussed.
Rachel
Sep 07, 2011 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rachel by: Elsie Hatch
I really liked this book. (Which seems to be the opening line for most of my reviews!) It was an attention grabber and managed to keep my attention to the end. Can't wait to read the other two books in this trilogy.
Agie
Having read the Russian trilogy, I was looking forward to Alex's new adventures. What a disappointment..
When did she become such a whiny character?? I stopped caring about her and Paul in the middle of the book.
Gary
Dec 30, 2011 Gary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gary by: Jerry Loper
Shelves: mystery, thriller, audible
Normally not the type of book I would read. I got it from a friend and I really liked it. Part of me is now thinking about going back to read the earlier stores of the main character and finish this one.
Zarahi
I found it intriguing but there were some errors and the Spanish wasn't accurate in some parts. It kept me wanting to know the end in spite of, though. That's why I'm giving it a 4 star.
David
Was not too bad and would have got 4 stars except that it spent alot of time on Cuban history, more than was necessary.
Jack
Crime/espionage action thriller involving the US and its relationship with Cuba which is rather complicated.
Julie
A great airplane read! I will look for more books by this author. F
Good thriller and easy read.
Nev Thomas
A good thriller set in Cuba.The writer has done his homework
Ann
Great vacation read.
Chris
Rather basic and just "ok"
Carolina Amador
Carolina Amador marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
  • Monday Night Jihad
  • Sons and Princes
  • The Brotherhood (Precinct 11, #1)
  • Thunder in the Morning Calm (Pacific Rim #1)
  • One O'Clock Jump: A Dorie Lennox Mystery
  • Stealing Jake
  • The Dead Saint
  • Of Mice and Murderers (Z Series)
  • Cash Burn
  • Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3)
  • Reinventing Leona
  • Delivery
  • Eye of the God
  • County Line
  • A Kiss of Adventure (Treasures of the Heart #1)
  • Through the Fire
  • Revelations (Jane Perry #3)
  • Blood Country (Claire Watkins, #1)
I've been a published novelist for longer than I care to admit, since 1976. I'm frequently asked, however, how I first got published. It's an interesting story and involved both Robert Ludlum and James Baldwin, even though neither of them knew it --- or me --- at the time.

My first agent, a wonderful thorughly perofessional gentleman named Robert Lantz was representing Mr. Baldwin at the time. Th
More about Noel Hynd...

The Cuban Trilogy (3 books)
  • Murder in Miami (The Cuban Trilogy #2)
  • Payback in Panama (The Cuban Trilogy #3)
Conspiracy in Kiev (The Russian Trilogy #1) Ghosts Midnight in Madrid (The Russian Trilogy #2) Countdown in Cairo (The Russian Trilogy #3) Flowers from Berlin