Start by marking “Michael And Natasha: The Life and Love of Emperor Michael II, the Last Tsar of Russia” as Want to Read:

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  297 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Michael and Natasha is both an astonishing love story and an illuminating look at the last glorious days of the Romanovs and the brutal revolution that ended their reign. Based on private diaries, letters, and documents long hidden in the Soviet archives, it sheds light on an extraordinary tale of enduring love and ultimate tragedy that, until now, has never been told.

He

Published June 26th 1998 by W&N (first published September 8th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Michael And Natasha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Michael And Natasha

Manray9
“Michael and Natasha: The Life and Love of Michael ll, the Last of the Romanov Tsars” by Rosemary and Donald Crawford was not as I expected. It was purchased from the bargain bin at a supermarket in anticipation of a light popular account of the enduring love affair between Michael Alexandrovich, younger brother of Tsar Nicholas II, and Nathalie Wulfert Brasova (née Sheremetevskaya). Instead I discovered a tour de force of research featuring broad use of primary and secondary sources in Russian, ...more
Mark Lawicki
A compelling read on a member of the Romanov family seldom focused upon. It is a very well written book. It is with a heavy heart that I turned page after page since I knew the inevitable had to happen. It is difficult not be be angry with the meek Nicholas II, or his controlling wife, the Empress Alexandra. One would like to think, after reading this book, that European history might have taken an entirely different turn in the 20th century if Michael had ascended the Russian throne from the be ...more
jill
The Romanovs are my favorite European royalty. Somehow the typical in-bred decadence of Victorian age nobility gets even more entertaining set in Russia. Even though it turns out the Romanov tsars weren't allowed to marry their first cousins like other European royalty could -- silly Orthodox church.
The relationship between Micheal and Natasha itself was pretty boring -- almost everyone's love letters are the same -- except where it annoyed his family and became dramatic. The parts where the Oh
Laini
A wonderful glimpse at one of the OTHER Romanovs, the czars brother Grand Duke Michael, and the beautiful Natasha, with whom he had to elope, since his family absolutely forbid the marriage. She was a divorcee and a commoner. Their life together was happy yet abbreviated, and with the Russian Revolution occurring at that time, had to end tragically.
Mark Gaulding
This is a fascinating biography about the very last Russian tsar. No, not Nicholas. He abdicated and his brother Michael was tsar for a short period. This is an amazing story and I was struck by eerie similarities to Duke & Duchess of Windsor.
Alice
True account of the last of the Romanov Tsars. Very detailed and pretty boring; skim read.
Anne
Interesting and enjoyable story of Michael, the younger brother of the last Russian tsar, and Natasha, a beautiful Russian woman who, because she was a commoner and twice divorced, was barred from becoming Michael's acknowledged wife. They did marry, but Natasha was ostracized by the imperial family so cruelly that it makes the treatment of Wallis Simpson look enlightened. (Actually, the authors don't tell us what Natasha thought about that affair. Too bad, it would have been interesting.)

Much a
Kathy
A fascinating book about the younger brother of Nicholas II. Michael probably couldn't be correctly called "the last tsar" in spite of the title because he would not accept the title until the representatives of the factions had assembled and declared what sort of government they wanted. He was urged to abdicate, but did not. He issued a manifesto explaining what should happen before he could be proclaimed tsar.

Technically there were a few who swore their loyalty to him as Nicholas' successor,
James
Apr 04, 2013 James rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: see review
A fabulous book. I have read it twice and rate it highly: well-researched, well-written and filled with interesting detail about that period of Russian history. A beautiful but tragic story. Having spent time in St.Petersburg, staying at the Grand Hotel Europe on Nevsky Prospekt and having visited Tsarkoe Selo, I could appreciate many of the events described in the book. It begs the question: What if? Would history have taken another course if Michael had remained Tsar at such a critical time? I ...more
Toni
Interesting biography of Michael, the younger brother of Tsar Nicholas II, who was named to succeed Nicholas after his abdication. Of course, with the tumult in Russia, Michael met the same fate as his brother's family. Much detail in this book - the first third or so is the love story between Michael and Natasha. Although well written and a fascinating time in history, I felt it somewhat tedious and bogged down in too much detail.
Rebecca Huston
A look at the life of Grand Duke Michael Alexandrovich, brother of Russia's last Tsar, Nicholas II, and his affair with Natalia Cheremetevskaya, a commoner. While it's heavy on the sweetness factor, it's still an entertaining story. Romanov enthusiasts should enjoy it.

For a more complete review, please go here:
Rachel
These two were absolutely the two most boring and useless members of the Russian royal family ever. Part of the blame for just how mind numbing this tale was could be attributed to the author, but this pair is still a serious disappointment in every possible way in the storied history of one of the most drama-filled houses in European history.
Rachel
Debbie Blicher
A fascinating view of Russian history through the lens of an ultimately tragic love story. A good study in the use of time compression & expansion to accommodate historical events. Nicely researched. A bit of a slow start, and sometimes cumbersome, but there really was no other way to write this story truthfully.
Peggy
I can't take it anymore! I am on chapter 10 and I quit! I don't want to hear anymore about those dysfunctional people. I kept hoping I would learn something worth while but so far no. I am not going to waste anymore of my time on Michael and Natasha: The Life And Love Of Michael Ii, The Last Of The Romanov Tsars.
Avril
Excellent work on the younger brother of Nicholas II. Detailed account of the days leading up to the revolution and formation of the provisional government highlighting Michael's movements, which are usually consist of a few brief sentences in other works.
Kellie
A bio on the Tsar that never was and his commoner wife. Lovely love story with an unfortunate ending. It's also very difficult to find biography's on the more junior members of the family so I felt it was quite a find when I bought it.
Gretchen
An interesting point of view and analysis of a little known figure. Makes the whole Romanov catastrophe that much more tragic since it destroyed the lives of Michael and Natasha.
Janet Trotter
An egrossing read - beautifully depicted characters and packed full of intersting information, yet reads like an epic novel. Excellent.
Blair
Completely fascinating. I'd had it on my Audible queue since 2009, and it's totally worth the wait.
Sara Schaefer
This book would have been much better without all the footnotes and historical info. Just write their story.
☯Bettie☯
Katie
Was very impressed by the Crawfords' work here. Extraordinarily thorough and very well-written.
D.J.
D.J. marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Angel
Angel marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Angie O'Neill
Angie O'Neill marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
  • The Last Empress: The Life and Times of Alexandra Feodorovna, Tsarina of Russia
  • A Lifelong Passion: Nicholas and Alexandra: Their Own Story
  • The Romanovs: Autocrats of All the Russians
  • The Last Princess: The Devoted Life of Queen Victoria's Youngest Daughter
  • George, Nicholas and Wilhelm: Three Royal Cousins and the Road to World War I
  • The Last Courts of Europe: Royal Family Album 1860-1914
Miguel y Natasha (Spanish Edition) Michael and Natasha: The Life and Love of Michael II, The Last of the Romanov Tsars This Too Will Change Major Companies of Europe: Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, Eire, Finland Major Companies of Europe: Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland