When I Feel Sad (Way I Feel Books)

When I Feel Sad (Way I Feel Books)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  9 reviews
We love these books! These absolutely charming stories help kids understand - and handle - difficult emotions, including anger, jealousy, sadness, and fear. What makes them special is that they feature familiar situations that kids relate to and offer simple solutions that children can actually implement. Wonderful illustrations, easy to read. Soft cover; 22 pages each. Fo...more
Published September 30th 2004 by Albert Whitman & Company (first published 2002)

Phenomena by Susan TarrEmotional Intelligence by Daniel GolemanWhen Elephants Weep by Jeffrey Moussaieff MassonEmotional Alchemy by Tara Bennett-GolemanAnimal Wise by Virginia Morell
Emotions
59th out of 88 books — 33 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristina Moss
Apr 08, 2014 Kristina Moss added it
Shelves: animals
When I Feel Sad by Corneila Maude Spelman I a great book for young children. This book is about examples of common emotions and ways to handle them positively. I would use this book in my classroom to help my students recognize and regulate their own emotions. I think this book is great for young students because it displays to them that feelings and emotions are natural.
Dolly
Apr 20, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens
This is a good book for exploring feelings of sadness and how to deal with it. Our girls liked the book, but it wasn't so much of a story as a cute and fuzzy self-help book for kids, just like the book about jealousy that we read by the same author. I thought it was okay. It was too overt about the issue; I think books that are tell a story with the theme woven throughout the tale are more effective.
Stephanie
I am not sure how I feel about this book. I can't decide if they are helpful for kids to be able to express how they are feeling or if the message they are conveying takes precedence over telling a really good story that could have done the same thing.
Suz
I've been collecting all these Cornelia Spelman books about feelings for the library. They are good for guidance class or other classroom discussions with younger students about dealing with feelings appropriately (or even identifying feelings).
Lauren Brown
This book gives examples of times when you might feel sad about something. It is good because it says even though you may feel sad you will not feel sad forever and it will pass. I like it and think that children could relate to it as well.
Janae
This is the first book we read in this whole series on emotions. I think it was a little advanced for Whitman (22 months), but he did stay focused the whole time. It's a great idea for a series.
Meghan
Dec 04, 2012 Meghan added it
This is one of three books that I picked up at a thrift store, I found it to be a useful tool for helping younger kids relate what they are feeling and to help express that.
Leslie
Nov 07, 2010 Leslie added it
Shelves: childrensbooks
Helps kids identify when and why they feel sad and lets them know it's okay to be happy.
Mary
Great collection to help our little ones communicate their feelings
M.
M. marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Christian Singer
Christian Singer marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Beresford Parents Group
Beresford Parents Group marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Keely
Keely marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Alana
Alana added it
Dec 04, 2013
HLN MH Team
HLN MH Team marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
Monica Rana
Monica Rana marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
Stc87
Stc87 marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013
Zoe
Zoe added it
Sep 26, 2013
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Cornelia Maude Spelman is a writer, artist, and former social worker who writes about the importance of emotions and healthy relationships in the lives of children and families.
More about Cornelia Maude Spelman...
When I Feel Angry (Way I Feel) Your Body Belongs to You When I Feel Scared (Way I Feel Books) When I Miss You (Way I Feel Books) When I Care about Others