Start by marking “When I Feel Sad (Way I Feel Books)” as Want to Read:
When I Feel Sad (Way I Feel Books)

When I Feel Sad (The Way I Feel)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  86 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
We love these books! These absolutely charming stories help kids understand - and handle - difficult emotions, including anger, jealousy, sadness, and fear. What makes them special is that they feature familiar situations that kids relate to and offer simple solutions that children can actually implement. Wonderful illustrations, easy to read. Soft cover; 22 pages each. Fo ...more
Published September 30th 2004 by Albert Whitman & Company (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about When I Feel Sad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When I Feel Sad

Phenomena by Susan TarrLucky Go Happy  by Paul Van Der MerweWhen Elephants Weep by Jeffrey Moussaieff MassonEmotional Intelligence by Daniel GolemanThe Dance of Anger by Harriet Lerner
Emotions
59th out of 91 books — 43 voters
When We Were Very Young by A.A. MilneWhen the Emperor Was Divine by Julie OtsukaWhen Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit by Judith KerrWhen the Wind Blows by Raymond BriggsWhen Broken Glass Floats by Chanrithy Him
"When" in Titles
97th out of 111 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Taylor Horvat
I liked this book by Cornelia Maude Spelman, because it was simple and straightforward and definitely applicable to young kids exploring new feelings and understanding them. The illustrations by Kathy Parkinson were simple and sweet, showing a little hamster feeling sad in different situations and eventually understanding that it is completely okay to feel sad sometimes.

This would be a great read aloud for preschool or kindergarten because this age level is still navigating through their feeling
Evelyn Mauldin
Nov 17, 2015 Evelyn Mauldin rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-emotional
This book is a about a guinea pig who sometimes feels sad. He talks about all the different things that make him feel this way. For example, he talks about when he misses his friends and family, when his friends don't want him to play with him, and when he gets hurt. This book is great for preschool curriculum, because the author provides things that he can do to make him feel better when he is sad. Additionally his feelings are validated, which is extremely important for young children. Teacher ...more
Alexis Weber
Personal Reaction: I liked this book because the illustrations and sentences were all very straight to the point. It was a very simple book, making it easy for young students to understand. It is the perfect beginner reader book, to get students aquatinted with reading on their own.

Purpose/Use in the Classroom:This book would be a good independent read in a kindergarten classroom. "When I Feel Sad" is a good book for students to read by themselves because the sentences are not complex and are e
Kristina Moss
Apr 08, 2014 Kristina Moss added it
Shelves: animals
When I Feel Sad by Corneila Maude Spelman I a great book for young children. This book is about examples of common emotions and ways to handle them positively. I would use this book in my classroom to help my students recognize and regulate their own emotions. I think this book is great for young students because it displays to them that feelings and emotions are natural.
Abby Zwetzig
I liked this book because it was applicable for young kids learning about emotions, it is good for kids to know that it is okay to get sad sometimes and that everyone does. It is also good for children to know about the different emotions and know how to handle them positively. It helps make kids feel comfortable with their feelings instead of self conscious and understand why they are having those feelings. It is a good independent reading book for preschoolers exploring their emotions because ...more
Dolly
Apr 20, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009
This is a good book for exploring feelings of sadness and how to deal with it. Our girls liked the book, but it wasn't so much of a story as a cute and fuzzy self-help book for kids, just like the book about jealousy that we read by the same author. I thought it was okay. It was too overt about the issue; I think books that are tell a story with the theme woven throughout the tale are more effective.
Stephanie
May 21, 2009 Stephanie rated it did not like it
Shelves: ella
I am not sure how I feel about this book. I can't decide if they are helpful for kids to be able to express how they are feeling or if the message they are conveying takes precedence over telling a really good story that could have done the same thing.
Suz
Apr 26, 2013 Suz rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-kid-lit
I've been collecting all these Cornelia Spelman books about feelings for the library. They are good for guidance class or other classroom discussions with younger students about dealing with feelings appropriately (or even identifying feelings).
Lauren Brown
This book gives examples of times when you might feel sad about something. It is good because it says even though you may feel sad you will not feel sad forever and it will pass. I like it and think that children could relate to it as well.
Janae
Jan 24, 2013 Janae rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
This is the first book we read in this whole series on emotions. I think it was a little advanced for Whitman (22 months), but he did stay focused the whole time. It's a great idea for a series.
Meghan
Dec 04, 2012 Meghan added it
This is one of three books that I picked up at a thrift store, I found it to be a useful tool for helping younger kids relate what they are feeling and to help express that.
Leslie
Nov 07, 2010 Leslie added it
Shelves: childrensbooks
Helps kids identify when and why they feel sad and lets them know it's okay to be happy.
Mary
Jan 23, 2008 Mary rated it really liked it
Great collection to help our little ones communicate their feelings
Kristen Curtis
Kristen Curtis marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
rachel brumitt
rachel brumitt rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2016
Bookshelf Study
Bookshelf Study marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Crystal
Crystal rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Alex George
Alex George marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Rosesorkh
Rosesorkh rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Kelly
Kelly added it
Apr 07, 2016
Allie
Allie rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2016
Nariman
Nariman rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2016
Maggie
Maggie added it
Mar 11, 2016
Jen
Jen added it
Mar 08, 2016
Nicole Andrews
Nicole Andrews marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Charley Zirbel
Charley Zirbel marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Yoli
Yoli marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Cornelia Maude Spelman is a writer, artist, and former social worker who writes about the importance of emotions and healthy relationships in the lives of children and families.
More about Cornelia Maude Spelman...

The Way I Feel (8 books)
  • When I Feel Angry (The Way I Feel Books)
  • When I Feel Scared (Way I Feel Books)
  • When I Feel Jealous: The Way I Feel Books
  • When I Feel Worried
  • When I Miss You (Way I Feel Books)
  • When I Feel Good about Myself