Start by marking “Lo strano caso caso del dottor Jekyll e del signor Hyde” as Want to Read:
Lo strano caso caso del dottor Jekyll e del signor Hyde

Lo strano caso caso del dottor Jekyll e del signor Hyde

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  191,119 ratings  ·  5,383 reviews
Avete in mano una storia meravigliosa, che ci dice una cosa molto importante: ogni volta che si prova a separare il bene dal male si fa un danno grave e le conseguenze sono tragiche. Il bene e il male sono due serpenti che copulano intrecciandosi nel profondo della nostra anima. Uno è velenoso e l’altro è innocuo ma se li sciogliamo quello velenoso ci morderà.

Paperback, I grandi della narrativa, # 4, Edizione speciale per gruppo Editoriale L'Espresso S.p.A., 111 pages
Published June 2011 by Gruppo Editoriale L'Espresso S.p.A (first published 1886)

Sherry Elmer I think it is more appalling than "scary." If it is scary, it is scary in a good way, in that it scares us not to act as Dr. Jekyll chose to act.…moreI think it is more appalling than "scary." If it is scary, it is scary in a good way, in that it scares us not to act as Dr. Jekyll chose to act. There is, however, a senseless, brutal murder, so if you are asking in regard to a child reading this, take that into account as you decide.(less)

This edition came with two stories, "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" and "The Bottle Imp," and they were both awesome let's talk about them. I'm so excited I can't contain myself.

- So. Well. Crafted. From beginning to end the story was engaging and the themes where quite straightforward, but I really love that in writing (see: George Orwell is my favourite author). I like it when authors aren't bogging their messages down in unnee
KUDOS, KUDOS and more KUDOS to you, Mr. Stevenson!! First, for bringing me more happy than a Slip N Slide on a scorching summer day by providing Warner Bros with the inspiration for one of my favorite cartoons, Hyde and Go Tweet:
...I mean who didn't love giant, cat-eating Tweety Hyde.

Second, and more seriously, when I tardily returned to your classic gothic novella as an adult, you once again red-lined my joy meter with the strength and eloquence of your story craft. You story is the gift that
Jeffrey Keeten
”It came about that Edward Hyde was so much smaller, slighter, and younger than Henry Jekyll. Even as good shone upon the countenance of the one, evil was written broadly and plainly on the face of the other. Evil besides (which I must still believe to be the lethal side of man) had left on that body an imprint of deformity and decay. And yet when I looked upon that ugly idol in the glass, I was conscious of no repugnance rather of a leap of welcome.

This too, was myself.”

photo Jekyll-mansfield_zps5229ba58.jpg
Richard Mansfield was
This Stevenson guy totally ripped off Stan Lee's Hulk character!

I mean, did this dude seriously think he could get away with what basically boils down to a copy & paste job of one of the most iconic literary characters in comics?!
I. Think. Not.
Stan, my friend, you have a real chance at winning a copyright infringement lawsuit.
(view spoiler)
What I learned reading Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?

By Jeff

1) Some things are better left unsaid. Really? Who knows how Hyde indulged himself? Hookers? Pirating? Running an orphan sweat shop? Booze? Opium? Ripping the “Do Not Remove under Penalty of Law” labels from mattresses?

2) Never have a nosy lawyer as a best friend. Who the hell hangs out with lawyers?

3) My evil Hyde would not be a top hat wearing, monkey-like Juggernaut. Sorry, he would be more Dean Martin-esque, a la “The Nutty Professor.

A veeeeeeeery short buddy-read with: Buddy Loooooove, Too much Buddy Love aka I want to be called The Nutty Professor, I love everybody Buddy Love, What did I do to deserve this Buddy Love?, Gimmie some Buddy Love....aaaaaand My brand new Buddy Love. Whew! Did I get everyone???

I am not a classic book reader- I fall under the category that some snobbish readers would call a fluffy reader..a reader for entertainment purposes only- Not a reader for intellectual growth. The classics were read in m
Raeleen Lemay
IF ONLY the revelation halfway through this had been unknown to me before reading it, I probably would have enjoyed this book more. It was good, but knowing what the twist is can really bring a story down for me.

This book is also very simple and to-the-point, which isn't always my favourite style of writing. I would have enjoyed for the story to be more drawn out, preferably with an addition of at least another hundred pages.
J.G. Keely
After the overblown Frankenstein and the undercooked Dracula, it's pleasant to find that the language and pacing of the third great pillar of horror is so forceful and deliberate (especially since I was disappointed by Stevenson's other big work, Treasure Island). But then, this is a short story, and it's somewhat easier to carry off the shock, horror, and mystery over fewer pages instead of drawing it out like Shelley and Stoker into a grander moralizing tale.

But Stevenson still manages to get
Bookworm Sean
Robert Louis Stevenson was a man who knew how to play his audience. Utterson, the primary point of view character for this novel, is a classic Victorian gentleman; he is honest, noble and trustworthy; he is the last reputable acquaintance of down going men like Henry Jekyll. So, by having a character who evokes the classic feelings of Victorian realism narrate the abnormal encountering’s, it gives it credibility; it gives it believability; thus, the story is scarier because if a man such as Utte ...more
Tadiana ✩ Night Owl☽
It seems like I've been familiar with the "good" Dr. Jekyll and the "evil" Mr. Hyde all my life, but the thing that most struck me, once I finally got around to actually reading this classic novella, is--other than their outward appearance--how alike these two aspects of the same man actually are.

Dr. Jekyll has always been aware of the duality in his character: he admits to some apparently fairly serious youthful indiscretions, and even when he consciously puts his vices behind him for a time,
“I have become a monster! I must find a place where I can hide! That’s it! I shall call myself…” DUN-DUN-DUUUUN!!!
“Mr. Where-I-can!”

The above is paraphrased from a “Morecambe & Wise” Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde sketch, they don’t often make me laugh, but this one is gold!

Not so much "The Strange Case" as the "Overly Familiar Case". The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is one of those stories that practically everybody knows so few people bother to read the original text. The original Fr
Franco  Santos
Hace rato que tenía pendiente este clásico del terror. Me gustó. En algunos momentos se me hizo bastante pesado, pero las últimas páginas valieron todo el esfuerzo. Quizás si no hubiese sabido el final, lo hubiera disfrutado mucho más.

Es una historia que nos muestra la sombra detrás de la sonrisa; la lucha interna entre el rescoldo y la llama.
It's a musical. It's a movie. It's a syndrome. It's...Miles Davis.

What is Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and why is everyone talking about it? Science gone wrong? Drug use? Insanity? Dual personality: good vs. evil? The hypocrisy of Victorian society? Is it about the beast within? Sexual repression?

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde has been absorbed into our culture so completely that it is difficult to separate fact from fiction. Here then are the facts. In my own words, I summarize exactly h
I'm so glad that I decided to re-read this book, because I enjoyed it so much more than the first time. And I have no idea why I didn't like it this much first time around. I guess I rushed through it to get to the end. And I just remember that I found some parts really boring to read. Well this time, not a single page was boring.
I also really like how creepy the story was, and how well everything was explained in the end. This is that kind of a book that will make you think after you finish it
K.D. Absolutely
Nov 07, 2011 K.D. Absolutely rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: 501 Must Read Books, 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (2006-2010)
The duality of man. There are both good and evil in everyone. Two-faced Janus in Roman mythology. Like Erika Kohut who passes by a sex show house on her way home from music conservatory school where she teaches in the morning in Elfiede Jelinek’s novel The Piano Teacher. This 1886 novel, Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde by Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson purports the belief that even in people who the society looks up to, there are some evil, thoughts or completely their other strange side, lurking ...more
Jan 18, 2008 Nathanial rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Laurel & Hardy
Shelves: horror
Here's the plot, you all know it: a man, by arcane means, becomes another man. Now, here's the argument of the book: suspense comes from not knowing what questions to ask, not merely ignorance of their answers. Stevenson makes this technical argument by means of POV placement, interior monologues, and placement in time. He doesn't start the book by showing you Dr. Jekyll as he concocts his transformative substance and then becomes Mr. Hyde, as I had assumed he would. Instead, he begins with a se ...more

My favorite thing about reading a classic is that I am usually way off in my pre-reading assessment of what it is. I love being wrong….in that scenario. When I think I know what a book is about and find out it’s something completely different is a great feeling. It’s even better when what it really is is better than what I thought it was….Follow me so far?

Great! Let’s keep going!

Here’s what I thought it was (try not to laugh too hard):

I thought that Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde was a tale of split pe
Do you know what a "Jekyll and Hyde" character is? Of course you do. It is one of the descriptions, originally in a piece of literature, which has now become accepted in our vernacular. And there are many renditions of the story, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and countless references to it in all aspects of life. Quite an achievement for a slim Victorian volume written by the Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson, and published in 1886.

"Man is not truly one, but truly two."

So ass
Jan 08, 2012 Shovelmonkey1 rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the incredible hulk
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: 1001 books list
Every so often a book is written where the story manages to escape from the leafy pages of it's bounden prison and set up an almost independent life of it's own. The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde is just such a book because, despite having never read the book I was, in my cocky biblio-brain, quite certain that I already knew the story and therefore the content of the actual book would hold no real surprises.

Or perhaps not, but either way my cocky biblio-brain has been put to sh
Una lucha tan vieja como la historia, que se repite incontables veces dentro de nosotros, el deseo y la conciencia se debaten en competencia a ver quien obtiene una victoria, así sea momentánea. Que pasaría entonces si a través de una poción podríamos liberar a nuestros deseos, separar nuestras personalidades y cumplir todas nuestras tentaciones sin ninguna culpa para la conciencia, ¿seriamos libres o entraríamos en el libertinaje?

Creo que es prácticamente imposible no haber escuchado nunca de e
This book was the start of my on-going love story with gothic fiction. Definitely one of my favorite classics in one of my favorite genres. I highly recommend this!
Rating Clarification: 3.5 Stars

After my personal literary debacle that was Frankenstein: Or The Modern Prometheus, I approached this classic with trepidation. However, it seemed like a good time of the year to try another "mankind vs. monster" kind of read, so I took the plunge.

I'm glad I did, as I really enjoyed this story of a man divided against himself. Even though Robert Louis Stevenson told the story almost entirely through a third party, and there was a limited number of pages (84 in this
جناب رابرت لوییس استیونسن، ماجرای این کتاب رو در یک کابوس می بینه. ماجرای کسی که دو نفر شده، یک دانشمند معقول و مبادی آداب، و یک هیولای غیر قابل کنترل و نفرت انگیز. و دانشمند به رغم خواسته ی خودش، بیشتر و بیشتر معتاد به شخصیت شیطانی ش میشه.
بعد که از خواب بیدار میشه، شروع به نوشتن رمان میکنه. رمان رو که تموم میکنه، دوباره می خوندش و از نوشته ی خودش دلزده میشه و دست نوشته ها رو در آتش می اندازه.
مدتی بعد، پشیمون میشه و دوباره هر چی از رمان اصلی یادش مونده رو ظرف سه روز می نویسه و میشه این رمان حاضر
Thanks to Jeffrey's recent DJ&MH review series (which includes Mary Reilly and Hyde in addition to the original), I realized that I had not, in fact, ever become acquainted with Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde as Robert Louis Stevenson wrote them. Actually, the closest I'd come was seeing Dr. Jekyll & Mrs. Hyde (a mid-90s movie adaptation that I cannot, in good conscience, recommend), at a friend's house in middle school — and, frankly, no case of two being one involving Sean Young cou ...more
Nov 03, 2015 Yani rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: todos
Relectura octubre 2015*

Sin dudas, uno de mis libros favoritos. Me encanta la forma en que se trata el tema de la doble (¿o múltiple?) naturaleza del ser humano y de las cosas que pueden llegar a hacerse para mantener a flote el lado por el cual uno es aceptado en la sociedad, pero sin renunciar al que más vergüenza da.

(*) Pequeña extensión de la reseña

[…] no hay que excluir que el hombre, en último análisis, pueda revelarse una mera asociación de sujetos distintos, incongruentes e indepen

This book has officially made its way to my favorite classics of all time list. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Let’s discuss:

The characters:

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde were so well crafted!
Jekyll represents the “good” side of the mind and Hyde is the “evil” one. They are complete opposites (appearance, behavior, social class.) so you’d think they would absolutely loath each other but then Stevenson throws this idea that Jekyll doesn’t hate Hyde… Aghh that was GREAT!

My issues:

The twist of this story is a
Good and evil cannot be found in the natural world, they are human constructs created, I venture to guess, to keep civilization and culture afloat. To keep us from murdering each other and courting chaos we invented morals, we invented ethics. We learned control.

This book is about losing that control. It's about addiction, about giving in to your darker desires and the struggle that all people go through: wanting to do something and knowing you shouldn't.

Having just read Susan Cain's Quiet: Th

ظن دكتور جيكل أنه باستخدامه مستر هايد سيكون له ملاذا" من المسؤولية
ومهربا" من الضوابط الأخلاقية وو سيلة لإرضاء شهواته ونزواته لتبقى صورته هو براقة بين الناس

" فلأهرب وحسب من باب المختبر, وامنحني ثانية أو ثانيتين لخلط الشراب وتجرعه... ومهما يكون ما فعله إدوارد هايد فسوف يختفي كالبقعة التي تتركها الأنفاس على سطح المرآة, وسوف تجد في مكانه رجلا" يجلس في هدوء في منزله, ويسهر الليل منكبا" على دراساته, ويملك أن يسخر من أي ريبة فيه أي هنري جيكل !"

ولكن مستر هايد الذي يتجرع المتعة بظمأ وحشي و يرخي قبضة ضم
mai ahmd
شاهدت العديد من الأفلام المستمدة من هذه الرواية الكلاسيكية الخالدة لكن قراءة الرواية شيء آخر تماما أكثر جمالا وأكثر متعة
ربما لأن أغلب الأفلام استخدمت الفكرة في أفلام رعب وبعضها بطريقة ساخرة
ربما لأنها لم تركز على المغزى الحقيقي من هذه الحكاية
الرواية جادة وصاحبها يود أن يرسل لنا رسالة هذه هي رواية الوحوش النائمة التي تسكن في البشر وتحتاج للخروج أحيانا
أليس في كل واحد منا يسكن دكتور جيكل ومستر هايد

مناخ الرواية غامض ومثير غريب وممتع

aljouharah altheeyb

الكل بالطبع يعلم عن “ دكتور جيكل ومستر هايد” .. حتى دون قراءه الروايه فإن هذه الجملة ترسل إليك مُباشرة فكره إزدواجية البشر وانقسام رغباتهم بين الخير والشر ..

في الحقيقة كُنت أظن أن الرواية عبارة عن قصة مريض بإنفصام الشخصية، حيث أنني أجد كثيراً من المراجعات والإستدلالات لهذه الروايه في بعض المقالات التي أقرأها. وفي لحظة شجاعة قررت أن أبحث عن الرواية وأقرأها ^^”

جيده، جميله .. لكنها ليست بذلك الذهول رغم غرابة فكرتها وتفردها .. : عقار خيالي يفصل شخصيتك لتتحول إلي شخص آخر، بشري مختلف تماماً عن “أنت”
  • The Beetle
  • The Chimes
  • The Masque of the Red Death
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Monk
  • Carmilla
  • Nightmare Abbey
  • The Archidamian War
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3)
  • Lord Arthur Savile's Crime and Other Stories
  • The Bride of Lammermoor
  • The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner
  • Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus: The 1818 Text (World's Classics)
  • The Dream (Les Rougon-Macquart, #16)
  • The Invisible Man
  • The Female Quixote: or, the Adventures of Arabella
  • The Turn of the Screw
  • Melmoth the Wanderer
Robert Louis (Balfour) Stevenson was a Scottish novelist, poet, and travel writer, and a leading representative of English literature. He was greatly admired by many authors, including Jorge Luis Borges, Ernest Hemingway, Rudyard Kipling and Vladimir Nabokov.

Most modernist writers dismissed him, however, because he was popular and did not write within their narrow definition of literature. It is o
More about Robert Louis Stevenson...

“Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm. ” 253 likes
“If he be Mr. Hyde" he had thought, "I shall be Mr. Seek.” 204 likes